PDA

View Full Version : 501 shelter

bronco
11-16-2009, 23:44
I heard from a few sobos that they are looking for a new caretaker at the 501 shelter. Is this true? anyone know what is happening and who is in charge of the shelter ? ATC or PA forest service ?

emerald
11-17-2009, 00:17
Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club manages 501 Shelter. Temporary arrangements have been made to keep it open until a new caretaker is selected. More information is available at www.bmecc.org (http://www.bmecc.org).

XCskiNYC
03-29-2010, 16:08
You'd think this shelter would have a lot of booze swilling, fistfights, and perhaps even pistolry, what with it being located not only directly on a highway crossing (for which it's even named), but also having, for the complete convenience of non-hiker trouble makers, a parking lot.

shelterbuilder
03-29-2010, 22:11
You'd think this shelter would have a lot of booze swilling, fistfights, and perhaps even pistolry, what with it being located not only directly on a highway crossing (for which it's even named), but also having, for the complete convenience of non-hiker trouble makers, a parking lot.

Nah, all of the troublemakers either go down to the lookout to do all of that stuff (Kimmel Lookout to trail folk, but White Rocks to the locals)...or else they come in here to do all of this stuff! :rolleyes::D

emerald
03-29-2010, 22:27
Since today's 1st post has now been acknowledged and is unlikely to be deleted thus inviting more of the same, I'll add it's a shame some people can't find anything better to do with their time.

Appalachian Tater
03-29-2010, 23:16

Which is why it has to have a caretaker and the rule that no alcoholic beverages are allowed.

J-Rod
05-05-2010, 09:34
my friend and i stayed near the shelter last weekend ...the shelter is really nice ..
the only bad thing was the party going on the campsite up from us...they came in about 9 and they didn't shut up till around 1 in the morning...
yelling and loud music....

emerald
05-05-2010, 14:33
Since a question about 501's caretaker is apt to be asked, BMECC has narrowed the field of applicants and may be able to make an announcement soon.

wystiria
05-13-2010, 10:45
For the 501 shelter - I know pizza can be ordered to the parking lot. Can anyone tell me the restaurant name and #? I would like to not carry a dinner on the day we hit this shelter but want to ensure we actually can order in!

Thank you!

J-Rod
05-13-2010, 12:36
For the 501 shelter - I know pizza can be ordered to the parking lot. Can anyone tell me the restaurant name and #? I would like to not carry a dinner on the day we hit this shelter but want to ensure we actually can order in!

Thank you!
it's on the board inside the shelter ....