PDA

View Full Version : Ti skillet

squeezebox
11-17-2009, 00:22
I heard that Ti being thinner burns food easier. The REI clerk wants to sell me the 12 oz Aluminum skillet instead of the 5 oz Ti version
if i put a 2 oz Ti plate under the Ti skillet as a heat spreader it should burn less but will take more time and fuel to heat up.
thoughts and opinions?

Hooch
11-17-2009, 00:26
If you must carry a skillet, then just get the Ti version and turn the heat down on your stove. Personally, I don't carry one. Cooking takes up too much time I could be hiking. Freezer bag cooking shortens meal times a bunch!

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 00:37
First go to shoprite. I got a one person frying pan, thick, but REALLY light, especially for shoprite and $10. Check it out. Made in Italy. Works beautifully, used it this weekend on my shakedown.

Hiker X
11-17-2009, 03:07
I finally gave up on trying to find a good replacement for an aluminum, teflon-covered frying pan.

So, instead, I carry one.

I find the cheapest teflon frying pan that:

1. Fits the top of my 2q pan
2. Has an easily removed handle

... works well in the woods. It'll fry up your food as well as the pans in your kitchen, because it is a kitchen pan. Eventually the teflon wears out (usually where the pan touches the 2q pan when they're stowed) and the pan needs replacing, but I tend to get a year or two of serious use out of them before that happens.

If you're really worried about the weight, don't bring a frying pan at all and try to fry things in the bottom of a 2 quart pot. It sucks, but it's doable.

But, if you like your April morning shelter hash browns scattered, smothered and covered, browned to a rich golden hue, sizzling with buttery goodness, a good teflon pan is probably worth the weight.

photojojo
11-17-2009, 08:45
But, if you like your April morning shelter hash browns scattered, smothered and covered, browned to a rich golden hue, sizzling with buttery goodness, a good teflon pan is probably worth the weight.

Oh man, I'm hungry now.

garlic08
11-17-2009, 10:55
Not only is Ti thin, but it's a lousy conductor of heat. So the Ti plate idea won't help much, either, and you're adding a layer of insulating air between the plate and the pot. You'll probably burn the plate that way.

LaurieAnn
11-17-2009, 19:48
garlic08 is right and aluminum is a much better conductor and will give you a more even heat. Ti is really good for boiling water and not much else.

saimyoji
11-17-2009, 19:54
Ti is really good for boiling water and not much else.

guess ive been doin it wrong all these years. :rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
11-17-2009, 20:15
Bryce, watch out for those sales clerks, they will steer you in the wrong direction with your gear. An aluminum fry pan would indeed work better than a titanium one and the heavier and thicker a frying pan is the better it functions--that's why cast iron is considered the best.

But:

A very few long distance hikers might use a frying pan but they are very rare. I will almost guarantee you that you will not carry a 12 oz. frying pan all the way to Virginia much less Maine. My bet is you would send it home at Neels Gap if you didn't just leave it in the hiker box.

Why don't you start out with a lightweight pot such as an MSR Titan kettle or similar or a light and inexpensive Kmart greasepot or even a Heineken pot and then if you later decide you need a frying pan, buy one from an outfitter on the trail? Same for things like silk bag liners or anything else that is unnecessary. Any gear that you do not absolutely have to have you will not want to carry. The A.T. is not flat and even if it were you will not want that extra weight. Don't waste money on unnecessary gear but put your money in good light basics such as your tent, bag, pad, pack, headlamp, shoes, etc. instead.

You will basically be eating glop [and lots of it] but it won't be fried glop. There are people who eat fancy homemade glop or expensive freeze-dried glop but it's all glop. When you get ready to eat a hot meal you are going to want it to be ready fast because you will be tired and hungry.

squeezebox
11-17-2009, 21:06
Just thinking of bacon and eggs for breakfast, maybe I'll add it to my son's pack when he joins for the summer I'll make him carry it.

Appalachian Tater
11-17-2009, 21:24
Well, other options you could make with just a pot are freezer bag scrambled eggs, poached eggs, and boiled eggs. You can get pre-cooked bacon in slices or crumbled. And when you go into town to an AYCE then you can eat a half-dozen eggs and a pound of pork.

A dozen extra-large eggs weight about 27 oz.--almost 2 pounds. Then add your 12 oz. skillet and a pound of bacon and a spatula and that's 3 1/2 pounds just to have bacon and eggs for breakfast. I promise you you would quickly decide there are other things you'll eat for breakfast while on the trail.

Using your son as a sherpa is a good idea, though. Maybe find a cooler that will fit in his pack using the excuse that you're carrying the tent!

squeezebox
11-17-2009, 22:55
can an aluminum plate be used for frying anything?
tell me about freezer bag cooking.
Thanks for your patience.
I'ld rather make mistakes here than out on the trail

Slo-go'en
11-17-2009, 23:55
I've discovered that if you want to use even a small fry pan, you need a white gas or canister stove. Alcohol just doesn't cut it - don't burn hot enough or long enough. But then, I've only tried it once when it was kinda chilly and windy out, so lost a lot of heat there. 30 minutes to make three, half baked 3" round pancakes just wasn't worth the effort or fuel. Even the newbie thru-hikers at Gooch mnt shelter were shaking thier heads.

An aluminum plate might work if it is thick enough metal. If its too thin, it will likely warp. I have a 4" square of aluminum 1/4" thick with the sides turned up about a 1/4" which works, but its as heavy as anything you can buy and since it's not coated, stuff sticks to it like glue.

Freezer bag cooking is where you add hot water to a dried meal (generally pasta based) and let it reconstitue while in an insulated sleeve (commonly known as a cozy)

snaplok
11-18-2009, 00:40
Have to agree with LaurieAnn, aluminum is much better for cooking. I use a GSI Extreme Wok or the Optimus Terra for cooking and a Snow Peak 600 for boiling water. I've tried just about every ti cookset and it never gets the food perfect.

squeezebox
11-18-2009, 01:27
so should I use aluminum pots
cheaper than Ti, what size etc.
any other kitchen info appreciated.

Compass
11-18-2009, 02:27
Did some research:
Here are the Thermal Coefficients of different metals used in cooking. The units are WmK at room temperature but the comparison is interesting. The larger the number the better it conducts.
Titanium............22
Stainless Steel ...25
Cast Iron...........55
Aluminum............237
Copper...............398
Silver.................420 ?
Most Titanium pots are about a third to a quarter as thick as Aluminum so aluminum will tend to conduct a little faster still. The alloys used will also hve an effect.

Compass
11-18-2009, 02:32
I would say atleast a liter but others eat like birds with smaller pots.
Practice what you plan to cook at home in a smaller pot and see if you can stir, boil, etc. on a slanted table/ground without making a mess.

sarbar
11-18-2009, 11:38
Hard anodized aluminum otherwise known as HAA. Lightweight, very affordable and naturally nonstick. Usually half the price of Ti and not much heavier. It heats more evenly as well.

PS: If you have FBC questions, by all means...ask away!

squeezebox
11-18-2009, 12:13
FBC means what?
geez what a newbie!

squeezebox
11-18-2009, 12:27
Freezer Bag cooking
I'll think about getting a dehydrater and making food for my local trips. or maybe to pick up for the 100 mile wilderness. but not for an AT thru.
I would guess for FBC I make a batch of whatever at home. put certain size batches in the dehydrater, bag it, at camp put in certain amount of boiling water, wait for it to rehydrate, then eat.

Reid
11-18-2009, 12:44
I use the optimus terra cookset and it's preety darn light. I like to cook and eat well as I can on trips so it doesnt bother me. If I were going the distance though I'd probably not take it.

sarbar
11-18-2009, 14:16
Freezer Bag cooking
I'll think about getting a dehydrater and making food for my local trips. or maybe to pick up for the 100 mile wilderness. but not for an AT thru.
I would guess for FBC I make a batch of whatever at home. put certain size batches in the dehydrater, bag it, at camp put in certain amount of boiling water, wait for it to rehydrate, then eat.

Both ways work well - you don't need a dehydrator though to do FBC meals by any means :) You can buy so much in stores these days as well as match up what you need with online purchases.
For those who wonder what exactly FBC is? Think of it as a simple way to make your own versions of commercial meals - that you can tune into the way you like to eat! Over the years I have posted many recipes here, we have many on our website ( www.freezerbagcooking.com ) was our first site and is now rolled into our Trailcooking site.

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:18
Seriously, check out the shoprite one...

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:21
Lightweight, durable, cooks very well, and inexpensive.

Many Walks
11-18-2009, 16:32
Shlep (that's cute) I couldn't find the shoprite pan online and don't have the stores out here. Is the one you have similar to the Tefal one egg wonder? http://www.t-falusa.com/All+Products/Cookware/Non+stick+cookware/Products/One+Egg+Wonder/Specialty.htm They are small, light and cost under $6 at Target. I haven't bought one because they look a little too small to hold a decent meal. I'm thinking a 7-8" pan would be a good size.

Hiker X
11-18-2009, 16:36
In defense of the small aluminum fry pan:

1. Hash browns (the dried ones by knorr are easy to find in grocery stores)
2. Grilled cheese bagels (bagels hold up better than bread in your pack)
3. Quesadillas (these will blow your mind)

I didn't carry a fry pan from Springer to Katahdin back in '96, but I did pick one up in Damascus. Cooking with a frying pan is not for everyone, but you'll be the best judge of that.

Your idea of making your son carry a fry pan when he's hiking with you sounds like the best option to me. If it turns out you like it, you can send him home without it.

Of course, if he's a scout, maybe you should make him carry one of those cast iron dutch ovens. I hear that's a bit of a tradition out at Philmont.

sbennett
11-18-2009, 16:48
Did some research:
Here are the Thermal Coefficients of different metals used in cooking. The units are WmK at room temperature but the comparison is interesting. The larger the number the better it conducts.
Titanium............22
Stainless Steel ...25
Cast Iron...........55
Aluminum............237
Copper...............398
Silver.................420 ?
Most Titanium pots are about a third to a quarter as thick as Aluminum so aluminum will tend to conduct a little faster still. The alloys used will also hve an effect.

that's pretty informative but I'm curious as to how well my gold cook pot conducts heat...

garlic08
11-18-2009, 19:13
that's pretty informative but I'm curious as to how well my gold cook pot conducts heat...

I'll stop by and pick it up for testing and let you know.;)

Tipi Walter
11-18-2009, 19:31
garlic08 is right and aluminum is a much better conductor and will give you a more even heat. Ti is really good for boiling water and not much else.

I think Norman Clyde carried a nesting set of cast iron skillets and a dutch oven. What's happened to the modern backpacker?

I went thru the whole "delaminating teflon" thing with a crappy Texsport teflon frypan from Walmart. Turned out I was eating teflon chips on a daily basis, so I dumped it and went back to a titanium two liter MSR pot. Love it. Just a plain old pot, no lid, no handle, no handle-grip. Do I miss frying up eggs? Making toast in olive oil?

I found the secret to "frying" with titanium: melt a tablespoon of coconut oil into the pot first, and then scramble up those eggs or cook up toast. Keep it a little bit off the flame and stir a bunch. The coconut oil keeps the pot bottom fairly burn-free. Here's another secret(well, it ain't no secret): take out a green scrub pad(about a 2 inch square), it really helps to clean up after a meal. And it can be replaced after a couple trips due to wear.

Compass
11-18-2009, 22:39
Gold is not as good as you would think.
Gold.........315
Silver........427
Copper......398
Here is the link. It is the largest chart almost halfway down the page.
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermo.html
The advantage of Gold is it does not corode therefore less contact resistance and it is maleable. For cookware it is blown away by copper.
I will try to take the Geek off now.

Hooch
11-18-2009, 22:44
I think Norman Clyde carried a nesting set of cast iron skillets and a dutch oven. What's happened to the modern backpacker? Evolution. :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2009, 23:05
Gold.........315
Silver........427
Copper......398
The advantage of Gold is it does not corode therefore less contact resistance and it is maleable. For cookware it is blown away by copper.

Compass - "It was a joke son!", - Foghorn Leghorn.......:D

sbennett
11-18-2009, 23:05
Gold.........315
Silver........427
Copper......398

Ahhh, I think I was getting electrical conduction confused with heat conduction. If I'm still wrong, please let me revel in my ignorance. :D

ShelterLeopard
11-19-2009, 12:50
Shlep (that's cute) I couldn't find the shoprite pan online and don't have the stores out here. Is the one you have similar to the Tefal one egg wonder? http://www.t-falusa.com/All+Products/Cookware/Non+stick+cookware/Products/One+Egg+Wonder/Specialty.htm They are small, light and cost under $6 at Target. I haven't bought one because they look a little too small to hold a decent meal. I'm thinking a 7-8" pan would be a good size.

On the shakedown everyone figured "shelterleopard" was too long, thus ShLep! I like it.

It is kinda similar to that one, I'll look up the name and try to find a link to post here later. It's pretty much perfect for me- of course, it'd be cool to have a bigger one, but in the interest of weight and space, I picked this one. I love it- cooked a whole packet of bacon with it on the shakedown this past weekend, cooked beautifully! I love it.

bronconite
11-19-2009, 15:35
I have a GSI aluminum set with a hard anodized inside surface, which makes it very non-stick, and no coating to flake off.

On the shakedown everyone figured "shelterleopard" was too long, thus ShLep! I like it.

I'd look up the definition of it before you settle on that for a name.:D

Oh wait, I'll do it for you.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shlep

Here in Pennsylvania dutch country it means something else, which is why I first looked it up.

Wheeler
11-19-2009, 18:26
I like the name "TI Skillet". Maybe for a Rap career.

squeezebox
11-21-2009, 19:52
I tried to make a heat spreader for under the Ti skilet ans here's what happened.
I took 2 Al plates and cut circles out of them the size of the skillet bottom. I put a couple of smaller circles of Al roof flashing material in between. I pinned this snadwich together. I tested with a propane torch so the heat would be in a concentrated spot. the bottom sheet of Al melted and did not transfer well to the top piece.
So I tried a single piece of Al plate well it melted a hole also. the flashing by itself melted too.
someone said to try a coffee can lid. So I found a #10 can of peas in the trash,
in short the steel coffee can lid did a nice job of spreading the heat across the bottom of the Ti skillet. Test food was would it fry an egg evenly.
the lid did get red-white hot but did not melt.
it might be a handy base for the stove on uneven surfaces a swell.

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 23:22
I still like the way ShLep sounds!

And my frying pan is made by Good Cook, I'll try to find a link to it...

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 23:23
Kind of like this, but with a slightly thinner and smaller handle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CCZL72/ref=asc_df_B001CCZL72967911?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=shopzilla_rev_263-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001CCZL72

mister krabs
11-22-2009, 08:19
When I was a chef, I came to the conclusion that all teflon skillets are disposable. That's the nature of the beast. As soon as the lining is compromised, they are good for nothing. With that in mind, I buy cheap skillets that I won't mind throwing away after their lining starts wearing. At home I buy commercial skillets from a restaurant supply place. For hiking I use the IMUSA cacerola (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10730242)

Tipi Walter
11-22-2009, 08:29
When I was a chef, I came to the conclusion that all teflon skillets are disposable. That's the nature of the beast. As soon as the lining is compromised, they are good for nothing. With that in mind, I buy cheap skillets that I won't mind throwing away after their lining starts wearing. At home I buy commercial skillets from a restaurant supply place. For hiking I use the IMUSA cacerola (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10730242)

Problem is, you or your customers will be "eating" teflon before you take note of the lining being compromised. It probably starts to leach teflon the first minute of use, and continues from there. When we notice obvious flaking, heck, it's probably been flaking from the very beginning.

mister krabs
11-22-2009, 08:55
Problem is, you or your customers will be "eating" teflon before you take note of the lining being compromised. It probably starts to leach teflon the first minute of use, and continues from there. When we notice obvious flaking, heck, it's probably been flaking from the very beginning.

Is this speculation, or do you actually know this to be true? :-?

It has not been my experience that they start flaking immediately any more than paint on a car starts flaking immediately; However, once the surface is compromised it goes downhill fast much like a spot of rust or scratch will flake the paint on your car.

If it does flake, do you know that it's bad for you? I've heard that it just passes on through with out stopping for a visit. Unlike eating paint chips of course. :D

Tinker
11-22-2009, 09:02
http://www.rei.com/product/657906?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-657906&mr:trackingCode=DF734FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

My favorite frypan. Fits into my Evernew 1.3 l. cookset.

The rest of the stuff stays at home.

veteran
11-22-2009, 09:41
I use one of these, GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Fry Pan
Weight: 11.4 oz
Dimensions: 8.95" x 8.6" x 2.6"
Material: Non-Stick Coated, Hard Anodized Aluminum
Spiral-turned base grips stoves and grills securely

http://www.alssports.com/alssports/assets/product_images/PAAAIAJDABCHNOOH.jpg

Many Walks
11-22-2009, 22:39
Kind of like this, but with a slightly thinner and smaller handle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CCZL72/ref=asc_df_B001CCZL72967911?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=shopzilla_rev_263-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001CCZL72
Thank's ShLep!

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2009, 22:52
First go to shoprite. I got a one person frying pan, thick, but REALLY light, especially for shoprite and $10. Check it out. Made in Italy. Works beautifully, used it this weekend on my shakedown.

Well the ti Skillet is even lighter than that SL... I too have the shoprite one for practice at home and the thinner metals cause burns and uneven heat.

veteran
11-22-2009, 23:09
Lightweight, durable, cooks very well, and inexpensive.

But you can call me ShLep.

I wouldn't use that name.

Do you know the definition of Shlep in the Yiddish language? Google it.

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2009, 00:02
ouch Veteran.... TMI

ShelterLeopard
11-23-2009, 11:38
Well the ti Skillet is even lighter than that SL... I too have the shoprite one for practice at home and the thinner metals cause burns and uneven heat.

Shoprite has three different small ones (near me, anyway), a super thin one that would never have done my bacon or biscuits justice, a thick one that is suprisingly light (seriously- beautiful) and a super heavy one that looks a bit similar to the one I have, but is a couple dollars cheaper.

I know the TI is lighter, but the shoprite "good cook" one cooks beautifully, and I don't mind the extra couple ounces (in the name of saving money and not needing to ship it).

AND SHLEP MEANS SHELTER LEOPARD. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Not anything else... Um, I hope not too many other people know Yiddish...

ShelterLeopard
11-23-2009, 11:39
This is not off topic- I love frying pans.

Should I change it to ShLeopard?

mister krabs
11-23-2009, 12:45
This is not off topic- I love frying pans.

Should I change it to ShLeopard?

I think shlep's fine, even considering the yiddish translation. What could be more appropriate than a difficult or laborious carry?

Blissful
11-23-2009, 12:52

If you're bringing it on your upcoming thru hike, you'll want to mail it home by Neel Gap. :) :D

But for weekends trips, sure! Gourmet delight.

ShelterLeopard
11-23-2009, 13:12
Yeah, I wasn't sure about it for the thru, to be honest. (The weight is fine, but how often will I use it?) So I decided that I'm mailing it to myself in hotsprings with pancakes, bisuik (for fry biscuits) and bacon, because I will use it, just not often if I bring it, then mail it back. Or maybe I'll just bring it for the first week at mail it back at Neels Gap. Or I'll carry it all the way! Who knows? (If I bring it, I will make bacon all the time, so we'll see...)