PDA

View Full Version : Wise Shelter

Rain Man
11-17-2009, 13:37
My family and I are planning a short section hike over Thanksgiving weekend next week. I called Grayson Highlands State Park today to ask about cabins (none) and parking. In the course of the conversation, I was told something I'd never heard--

Wise Shelter is ONLY for "thru-hikers" and my family can't use it!

At least, this is what the lady who answered the phone at Grayson Highlands State Park advised me today.

Anyone have any background or information on such a rule? Just curious.

P.S. We plan to hike from Wise to Partnership, Friday to Sunday, in case anyone has any trail conditions to share or suggestions. We do know it's the height of hunting season.

Rain:sunMan

sbennett
11-17-2009, 13:43
wow, the only restriction about Wise Shelter that I know is that you aren't allowed to tent outside of it...never heard of the "only thru hiker" thing

Lone Wolf
11-17-2009, 13:47
that rule is BS. no signs stating it at the shelter

bigcranky
11-17-2009, 13:48
I have never seen anything like that at GHSP, and I've been there probably a hundred times in the last 15 years. We stay at or near Wise all the time. Note that tent camping is not allowed at the shelter.

If you prefer to camp, keep going nobo about 1/4 past the shelter, cross a little bridge over a creek, and climb up 10 feet out of the creek and into a meadow. Look left for dozens of great camp sites.

Grayson to Partnership is a nice section. Great views over Stone Mountain. Old Orchard shelter has some nice tent sites out front. Hurricane shelter is new, and I think there are some tent sites by the creek there. Trimpi shelter has some good camp sites, too. Water should be fine the whole way. The only climb of note is probably Iron Mountain.

Wear blaze orange. Enjoy the hike.

bessiebreeze
11-19-2009, 01:17
I hiked that section in September this year, and it's a nice section. Will you be going down the Seed Orchard Trail, to get to the AT from Grayson Highlands Park? If you do, be prepared to ford about 3 creeks before running into the AT. I was very careful, and didn't slip and get water in my boots, and the Gore-tex held up, so I was lucky. Also, the trail signs are not very good when you are approaching the AT there.
The new Hurricane Shelter is very nice. It's up on top of a rise in a pretty place. I saw a black bear there at that shelter when I was there. There are no bear cables, so be cautious with your food and pack. Just past that shelter, not too far, is a nice falls on the right, near a bridge.
Have a good trip.

take-a-knee
11-19-2009, 01:32
Don't nobody need to stay in no stinkin' rat-infested shelter no way.

Marta
11-19-2009, 08:33
I have seen the advisory not to camp around the shelter, but I've never seen anything saying it's for thru-hikers only. That's absurd.

That said, it's a small shelter, and popular, so you probably should rely on getting space in it.

There's a really nice campsite just on the other side of a line of trees away from Wise Shelter. You get a nice view of the night sky.

Big Dawg
11-19-2009, 08:48
Wise Shelter is ONLY for "thru-hikers" and my family can't use it!

At least, this is what the lady who answered the phone at Grayson Highlands State Park advised me today.

Anyone have any background or information on such a rule? Just curious.

sounds like a newbie secretary who doesn't know any better,,,,, that's absurd.

copperjohn
07-31-2010, 23:23
Stopped here for lunch on 7/29/2010 after coming up from Old Orchard. The place was a mess. There were food wrappers everywhere. I picked up what I could.

Also the spring near the shelter was barely flowing, drop by drop.
I looked for water in the nearby creeks, but the water had a reddish tent. I assumed it was from a high level of iron in the rocks in the creek. Anyone have a clue? I chose to pass on this water too, even with boiling or chemical treatment.

The one big plus is that now all the blueberries around the shelter are ripe for the picking. I spent too much time picking them here and at The Scales grabbing a dessert for lunch. I almost stayed to make blueberry tea, but a storm was coming in so I left.