PDA

View Full Version : Maps question

Lillianp
11-17-2009, 16:21
Hey all,
I was just wondering, I have been trying to decide which guidebook I want to take (still haven't come to a conclusion as there seems to be equal drawbacks to each) and have come up with another dilemma. How do I get maps without buying the state by state guidebooks that are so ridiculously expensive?
Thanks!

Jack Tarlin
11-17-2009, 16:25
It is possible to purchase JUST a bundle of maps from the ATC, but keep in mind that if you take advantage of their "map/guidebook" annual special, it's still cheaper to buy the whole shebang (maps and books both), even if you're not planning to carry or use the guidebooks.

Details found at Ultimate Trail Store section www.appalachiantrail.org

Great additional discount if you're also an ATC member.

Pickleodeon
11-17-2009, 17:44
I have a set of maps and the guidebooks I could sell to you. I used them this year but they're in great condition. I am missing one map that they never sent me in time so I just cancelled it, but that's it.

As far as guidebooks, I saw a lot of people out there with the Appalachian Pages, and I really liked the format of them, however, there were some errors in it (as with any of them) they're still working out some kinks, it's only been made in the last few years.

squeezebox
11-18-2009, 14:38
how important is it to have a set of maps and a guide book?

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:47
I have a set of maps and the guidebooks I could sell to you. I used them this year but they're in great condition. I am missing one map that they never sent me in time so I just cancelled it, but that's it.

As far as guidebooks, I saw a lot of people out there with the Appalachian Pages, and I really liked the format of them, however, there were some errors in it (as with any of them) they're still working out some kinks, it's only been made in the last few years.

And they're not printing it anymore, it's being replaced by The AT Guide. (Written by Awol, who worked on Appalachian Pages)

Pickleodeon- are those maps still available?

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:50

I like having maps, because a) you can identify interesting spots, b) find out tomorrow's area, and c) if you get screwed by an injury, sickness, whatnot, you can find a road that'll lead you out, rather than wander along the trail, hoping you'll come upon one (when really, the side trail to your left leads to a busy road, or something like that).

I'm bringing the AT maps and the 2009 Appalachian Pages, but not the AT Guidebooks.

Pony
11-18-2009, 14:54
While it can be done without either, that would probably not be wise especially if you are an inexperienced hiker. That being said, do a search on this topic as there have been countless hours debating this topic on this site.

molonlabe
11-19-2009, 14:35
On a different note concerning maps, how difficult is it to buy maps along the way up the trail opposed to buying them all at once and using mail drops etc?

ShelterLeopard
11-19-2009, 14:53
You'd think it'd be pretty easy, but I don't know- I haven't been to too many on trail outfitters. I know that sometimes they'll come with guidebooks or as some weird package deal, so I'm just going to mail 'em and hope they don't get lost in the shuffle.

Pedaling Fool
11-19-2009, 14:56
That would be very expensive, best to buy the bundle from ATC.

Kirby
11-20-2009, 16:36
Not carrying maps is most likely one of the dumbest ideas that I keep hearing about.

Spokes
11-20-2009, 18:42
Not carrying maps is most likely one of the dumbest ideas that I keep hearing about.

Plenty of thru's hike the entire AT successfully without maps. I got by carrying only the Thru-Hikers Handbook (by Bob 501 Mccaw) and did just fine.

Of course, it really boils down to your comfort level. So if you think you need 'em carry 'em.

Ender
11-20-2009, 21:29

The simple answer is, if you have to ask, you should carry them.

Blissful
11-20-2009, 22:22
On a different note concerning maps, how difficult is it to buy maps along the way up the trail opposed to buying them all at once and using mail drops etc?

You're taking a chance they'll be available, esp in thru hiking season with other hikers coming into the outfitters. Best to buy and ship to yourself. ATC has the special right now.

Blissful
11-20-2009, 22:23
You'd think it'd be pretty easy, but I don't know- I haven't been to too many on trail outfitters. I know that sometimes they'll come with guidebooks or as some weird package deal, so I'm just going to mail 'em and hope they don't get lost in the shuffle.

We did lose half our Maine maps but in a box tthat went surface (we lost the whole box). If you send them first class, should be fine. Or Priority if you ship with other items.

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 10:08
I have to mail fuel canisters to a couple places that I don't think stock canisters, but I considered mailing the maps seperately in those places in a thick bubble wrap priority envelope, but my luck will be that the canister arrives, and not the maps!

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 10:09
By the way, do you know how long the special lasts? I thought it was December 12th, but I suddenly can't find the date.

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2009, 10:13
I have to mail fuel canisters to a couple places that I don't think stock canisters, but I considered mailing the maps seperately in those places in a thick bubble wrap priority envelope, but my luck will be that the canister arrives, and not the maps!
No need to mail fuel canisters, too much trouble; which places are you concerned with?

I know there are no canisters thru SNP, but you can get them at Waynesboro and make it thru easily until you exit the park.

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 10:25
Well, maybe I'll just keep a few extras at home to stick in with the boxes if I hear that some place doesn't have it.

white_russian
11-21-2009, 11:30
It depends on where and when you try to find them. If you are ahead of the bubble they will have them in stock and ready, but after they will be cleaned out. Also in the North a lot of people have dropped out from the NOBO crowd so they don't stock as many to begin with. Also this is not a critical item like stove fuel so they are not worried about replenishing their stock as quickly. If it was me I would just buy them before and mail them along the way.

veteran
11-21-2009, 11:36
By the way, do you know how long the special lasts? I thought it was December 12th, but I suddenly can't find the date.

Guidebook-Map Special (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=69&compid=1&pcatid=0)

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 12:32
I can't believe I didn't see that! Thanks Vet!

Lillianp
11-26-2009, 16:25
Oi, just bought the maps I needed from ATC. (I have the mass/connecticut ones already) and it was rather aggravating, but I suppose it should help in mental preparation for the trip! :-P Thanks for letting me know that ATC was indeed the place I have to buy maps from.
-Em

Trailweaver
11-26-2009, 22:15
Can you mail fuel canisters? I would have thought the PO would not allow it.

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 22:58

I don't think so. According to the link, flammable solvents aren't allowed.

http://tiny.cc/C8l5T

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 22:59
Doh... maybe you can get a permit?

veteran
11-27-2009, 00:12

Yes you can, go to this Link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8311&highlight=Mailing+Fuel+Canisters).

The attached file will print ORM-D labels.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=338&d=1132667799

DrRichardCranium
11-27-2009, 12:19
No need to mail fuel canisters, too much trouble; which places are you concerned with?

I know there are no canisters thru SNP, but you can get them at Waynesboro and make it thru easily until you exit the park.

I saw fuel canisters in the store at Big Meadows in SNP.

Blissful
11-27-2009, 22:04
Well, maybe I'll just keep a few extras at home to stick in with the boxes if I hear that some place doesn't have it.

I found it good to mail a canister to myself in Duncannon, PA and in Unionville, NY. Possibly Kent too if they can't get an outfitter to stock it.
It's nothing to mail it. Has to go surface though, so send it in plenty of time. I had no trouble.

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 01:05
Thanks Blissful! Sounds good.