PDA

View Full Version : Strictly for excitement of 2010ers!!!

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 12:54
Well, I don't know about you all, but I leave for my hike in just a couple days under 3 months, and I'm PSYCHED!!!

So, I decided that we need a thread solely for exciting and venting excitement of 2010 thru hikers. (NoBo, SoBo, January start, June start, whatever! We're all excited, I'm sure)

So, what are you all doing in this stage of preparation? Still getting needed gear? Food prep? Or are you packed and ready to go, and just keep packing and repacking your first maildrops because you need something hikery to do?

Symbol
11-18-2009, 13:35
I here you! I am looking at a little under 4 months and feel the same way!

BrianLe
11-18-2009, 13:38
Not to be buzz-kill (!), but I suggest this thread be moved to the 2010 class thread area (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=487).

I'm leaving about the same time you are and am ~mostly ready, but having foot surgery in a couple of weeks. So my physical training will be pretty limited until near the last minute. Not ideal for a late winter start (!), but it's what the schedule allows.

My gear is virtually complete. I'll put together my five resupply boxes in January sometime, collect some of the contents in the meantime (on sale where possible ...). Mostly resupplying along the way.

So some few tasks to do over the next couple of months --- put a few meals together, do a couple of shakedown hikes or at least "sleep outdoor in planned gear" in the snow, depending on foot recovery. Book my flight. Make various arrangements for home life to proceed harmoniously with me absent (just me being absent should aid in that ... :-)). Organize gear at home to make it easy for my wife to mail me specific things on demand. Get the new AT book with the 2010 version is available.

Definitely looking forward to being on trail next year; I spend a bit too much time reading this and BPL (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/index.html) threads, though that's caused me to change my mind on a few gear choices. The main thing now is to get through this surgery and start healing; I wish other schedule constraints had allowed me to have it a bit earlier!

Maddog
11-18-2009, 13:39
i hear you too...102 days and counting!!!:):):)

Doctari
11-18-2009, 13:58
:D
I don't leave for another 10 years, but I already got: my gear, plan in place (to be burned the first night), etc, and in fact I could leave in about 1 hr if given the opportunity right now & that's cause I would need to get/pack food & the store I would go to is a 30 minute drive, but I know where everything I want is.

SO, if anyone wants to sponsor me, hint, hint, hint: :p

Class of 2010 have a great hike!! Wish I could join you.

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 14:01
Thanks Doctari!

Pony
11-18-2009, 15:04
While it is difficult, I try to think about the trail as little as possible. A couple of years ago, I left Springer with the intent of thru hiking, but in the six months prior, I devoted nearly every waking hour either researching the trail or thinking about it. By the time April rolled around my enthusiasm had declined significantly since the previous November. In the spring I will be heading out of Damascus, where I left the trail two years ago, and hope to have a clear head so that it all seems fresh and new.

Many Walks
11-18-2009, 16:14
The class of 2010 is about to embark on the trip of a lifetime and I hope you thoroughly enjoy every mile! Wish you all the very best!!!

Jeff
11-18-2009, 16:50
THis AM I had the chance to climb Bromley on a cool, sunny day here in Vermont !! Not a bit of snow on the slopes...what will the skiers do on Thanksgiving day?

In six months the mud will be deep and hikers will be loving the trails here in New England.

Young Gun
11-18-2009, 18:45
I still need about half of my gear but you know christmas is a wonderful time and of course i will be getting out of my first semester of college in dec. then I start work to save up to hit springer on the 15th of march i keep putting my pack on and walking around the house for no reason other than trail fever.

SawnieRobertson
11-18-2009, 22:08
124 or fewer days for me. A lot will be determined by the weather. I have to be home (a short day's drive from Springer Mountain) March 2, 9, and 16, but I have thoughts of doing a few miles earlier if we get into one of those pre-Spring wonder weeks that could serve as a final shakedown. All that aside, I am ready to pack except for considering exchanging my tent for a LightHeart 2-door. It is over a pound lighter than my Stephenson 2-R. In other words, there is a lot of weighing going on in my head.--Kinnickinic

ShelterLeopard
11-19-2009, 11:24
THis AM I had the chance to climb Bromley on a cool, sunny day here in Vermont !! Not a bit of snow on the slopes...what will the skiers do on Thanksgiving day?

In six months the mud will be deep and hikers will be loving the trails here in New England.

Hey Jeff, if you're still stocking up on Ben and Jerry's, save me a pint of your best for July!!!

HumanBN
11-19-2009, 15:32
Starting off this March. Excited and ready. Going to do as many extended hikes as possible this Winter. Doing a two night trip this weekend with my brother, who plans to hike the AT as well.

JoshStover
11-20-2009, 01:51
Im soo pumped and ready to go. I swear if I had just a few more bits of gear and few thousand more dollars I'd take of tomorrow. I love the snow and it wont be to long til its all over the trail!

ShelterLeopard
11-20-2009, 11:03
And last night, my packa arrived in the mail! Needless to say, I'm psyched. Keep compiling all the newer and lighter gear I need...

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 14:38
And this morning, I packed almost all of my maildrops (I'm only doing them for the first month, and two other slightly difficult resupply areas). Almost certainly to be unpacked and repacked a lot, but still... Yum... Korr's pasta sides, salmon, barbeque sauce, and chocolate chip cookies!

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2009, 16:15
Make sure you don't seal them. Instead, leave 'em open and make sure your base camp person (the one with your itinerary who is doing your mailouts) has some wrapping tape. That way, if necessary, you can call them from the Trail and have them add/delete stuff before the parcel is sent out.

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 16:21
That's what I was thinking- I'm going to spread out all gear and excess food so my mother can easily find anything extra I need. That way I can call if I need any replacement gear, crave any food, change my schedule or simply can't FACE another pasta dish.

sheepdog
11-21-2009, 22:30
Hey ShLep,
You gonna keep a trail journal?? Gotta keep track of a fellow Higgins Laker!!!

ShelterLeopard
11-21-2009, 23:26
Indeed! I think I won't keep a trailjournal while I'm hiking (I'll be updating a facebook page, if you want to see that), but I'll be keeping a paper journal, and I'll put it into a trailjournal for ya'll to read when I finish!

Symbol
11-22-2009, 11:38
The Facebook page is a good idea. I have been looking into that too.

ShelterLeopard
11-22-2009, 15:18
It's better than mailing out 30 postcards every time you get near a PO, that's for sure. (Only select, really awesome people get postcards. And relatives. So, maybe 29.)

ShelterLeopard
11-22-2009, 15:19
I'm really psyched though, been compiling food for month one, I'm already living vicariously through myself... Just the food part, I mean... I can feel myself eating delicious trail food as I pack it.

Wow, I must be delerious, delicious trail food?

(It really is good, I've spent a while finding food that I actually will want to eat.)

Symbol
11-24-2009, 15:48
tick tock..... tick tock.....

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 15:58
One more day DOWN!!! And my train ticket arrived in the mail today- there's an option to order online, and either get it delivered, or pick it up at an online kiosk thing, and I do NOT trust those things, so I got it delivered. WAHOOO!!!

Symbol
11-24-2009, 16:00
Nice!!

Another week and it will be December!

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 16:55
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 16:56
Wait, confetti is better:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Speakeasy
11-24-2009, 18:43
While it is difficult, I try to think about the trail as little as possible. A couple of years ago, I left Springer with the intent of thru hiking, but in the six months prior, I devoted nearly every waking hour either researching the trail or thinking about it. By the time April rolled around my enthusiasm had declined significantly since the previous November. In the spring I will be heading out of Damascus, where I left the trail two years ago, and hope to have a clear head so that it all seems fresh and new.

Hey - I hear you OSUBCS#1. I've spent the last 7 months researching, buying, selling, switching out gear, shakedown hiking and logistics planning that I started to feel totally over saturated with information. As a result I started to feel like I needed a break from WB. I used to dream about the trail every day and lately I noticed that I have not really been thinking about it. So here I am. Looking to become inspired again to begin my adventure. Thanks much ShelterLeopard for making me feel the excitement again. I'm leaving a little later (4/14) but I hope to see you all out on the trail. Real life is starting to get me down and now I can feel excited about the future. The information I have received from WB has made my hike possible and I want to thank all those who share their experiences and advice. Well, enough from me for now - I hope to see all the class of 2010 out on the trail...

LostKey (formerly known as Speakeasy):banana

coheterojo
11-24-2009, 20:41
148 days and counting. I'll be in the Smokies this weekend for a 3 day hike then I'm going to do my last section hike from Sam's Gap, NC to Dennis Cove, TN the week after Xmas.

All my equipment is purchased, tested and used frequently. All my magazine subsciptions are expiring. The last day at work is March 31st, 2010. That gives me about 3 weeks to pack up my belongings and put them in storage and say goodbye to Moncks Corner, SC because, after the thru-hike I ain't acommin' back!

Of course where exactly I will be going after the hike is yet to be determined.

Excited? You better believe it.

Symbol
11-24-2009, 22:50
148 days and counting. I'll be in the Smokies this weekend for a 3 day hike then I'm going to do my last section hike from Sam's Gap, NC to Dennis Cove, TN the week after Xmas.

All my equipment is purchased, tested and used frequently. All my magazine subsciptions are expiring. The last day at work is March 31st, 2010. That gives me about 3 weeks to pack up my belongings and put them in storage and say goodbye to Moncks Corner, SC because, after the thru-hike I ain't acommin' back!

Of course where exactly I will be going after the hike is yet to be determined.

Excited? You better believe it.

Wow... big changes ahead! How exciting!

JonnyWalker
11-25-2009, 01:31
I can't wait to get out there. I don't know how to explain it but I feel as if my life doesn't start untill I'm standing on springer.

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 01:31
I can't wait to get out there. I don't know how to explain it but I feel as if my life doesn't start untill I'm standing on springer.

I know EXACTLY what you mean...

DawnTreader
11-25-2009, 01:36
Good luck 2010'ers! Wish I could join you, but alas, my time will come.... Hope all you section hikers are planning good trips for the spring! Hope to see some of you out there this comming season!
-El Duderino

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 04:50
Hi everyone
I am also getting very excited about this nobo starting around mid March, just applied and paid for my visa to the USA today should have it in a week or so then off to book my flights. Its a long way from West Australia to Atlanta. I will not be rely on any parcels etc at post offices, will be purchasing my food at the towns approximately every seven to 8 days ( I think).
I have done a few long distance hikes in Australia and am fairly fit, although the unknown will be a challenge. New Country, new food, etc etc.
Hopefully I will meet a whole lot of other hikers and make a lot of friends on the way.
Cheers
gipcgirl

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 06:05
You will meet lots of people on the trail for sure. Most of them you will want to befriend but some you will probably want to stay away from. Im sure you have some weirdos down under as well...

ShelterLeopard
11-25-2009, 11:51
I know EXACTLY what you mean...

Me too!!!!!

blue07
11-26-2009, 22:34
March is not coming fast enough! Counting down the days to giving work notice, then put everything into storage and head east. All gear is good to go and just need to figure what to do as far as online journaling to friends and family. Will probably keep it simple to Facebook and email, then do something extensive afterwards from the paper journal. Will take a big memory card as I want to take more people pictures this trip, was too heavy on scenery stuff last time.

MtnRider1981
11-27-2009, 03:43
i Can't Wait To Get Out There. I Don't Know How To Explain It But I Feel As If My Life Doesn't Start Untill I'm Standing On Springer.

Word!!! Ditto!!

warren doyle
11-27-2009, 08:10
Looking forward to starting out May 1st from Springer with 10-12 other circle expedition members. We have one more practice hike the last weekend in March.
Meanwhile, I have fifteen 2010 hopefuls coming to my home next weekend for four days of realistic preparation for their own thru-hikes.

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 11:28
Realistic preparation? You mean you make 'em hike, then beat their feet with sticks, have 'em eat exactly what they wouldn't want and get as dirty and smelly and wet as possible? That's what I'd make someone do.

Seriously Warren, good idea. I think the main problem with potential thru hikers is that some of them have never hiked more than two days, or an hour, or at all. I ALWAYS suggest a shakedown to everyone I meet. Doing my second formal shakedown in January!

Diamond Diggs
11-28-2009, 16:14
The realization is consuming! Its hard to believe after dreaming it all these years that the time is actually approaching. 92 Days! oh man.... oh man....

crl2010
11-28-2009, 18:51
I feel all you guys i have my gear ready to go for the most part. Know its just work work work so i can save save save. My first day of hiking will be march 1st. I think about it everyday and i cant wait. i have a countdown timer on my desktop computer right this second it says 92 days 16 hours 8minutes 14 seconds. till i fly to atlanta for my hike. i cant wait.

drifters quest
11-28-2009, 20:59
I am also very excited. STill have a lot of preperation to do, working on collecting the rest of the gear, travel arrangements, and figuring out the trail. Never been to the East coast, so this is so new and exciting! Planning a few more trips before March once I get the rest of the gear just to make sure it will all work it. Also need to break in some new hiking shoes. For the most part though its saving up money! Found a place to keep my horse for $45 a month with someone I trust and may have my other horse sold, cross fingers! I haven't made travel arrangement yet and don't have a set date, but i'm thinking around the middle of March. Boss knows ill be leaving March 1st and even offered a place to stay before then so I don't need to worry about rent :)

GeneralLee10
11-28-2009, 21:06
I think the main problem with potential thru hikers is that some of them have never hiked more than two days, or an hour, or at all. I ALWAYS suggest a shakedown to everyone I meet. Doing my second formal shakedown in January![/quote]

Just curious as to how many days you call a shakedown hike:-? I have hiked the Approach Trail to Neels Gap (3day), then Springer to Dicks Creek Gap (5day), and Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana (7days). You are very correct about the folks that never do a "shakedown hike". They will be in for a Big surprise when the time comes. I can not wait till the day comes, this is going to be one of the Biggest things we all will get to challenge.:D

ShelterLeopard
11-29-2009, 01:44
Just curious as to how many days you call a shakedown hike:-? I have hiked the Approach Trail to Neels Gap (3day), then Springer to Dicks Creek Gap (5day), and Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana (7days). You are very correct about the folks that never do a "shakedown hike". They will be in for a Big surprise when the time comes. I can not wait till the day comes, this is going to be one of the Biggest things we all will get to challenge.:D

For me, (for actual shakedowns) I did a 1 1/2 week section this summer (was supposed to be 2 1/2, but had gear problems and got sick, etc. What else is a shakedown for?) Did a two day hike two weeks ago, and intend to do another shorter one in January, purely to test gear for colder weather.

You sound like you're ready. I also did some longer hikes that weren't meant to be shakedowns, and made me decide to do a thru in the first place. I know I'm psyched!

And really tired, sorry if I'm repetitive!!!

Young Gun
11-29-2009, 02:09
I just got back from the smokies today..I did a day hike up Alumn Caves Bluff and went ahead on up to Leconte (one of my favorite hikes) The A.T. was so close but i didnt get a chance to get any hiking done there but it still kindled my fire for getting started Its time to get the game face on cause after christmas its only 3 months away

JoshStover
11-29-2009, 03:15
That is a great hike Young Gun. I love the Smokies! I look forward to seeing you on the trail...

coheterojo
11-29-2009, 10:17
Just came back from the Smokies myself. Drove up Friday morning to Cosby campground. Did Gabes Mtn. Trail, Maddron Bald Trail, stayed at campsite #29. Yesterday finished Maddron Bald and took Snake Den Ridge up to the AT and went and hugged the sign and shouted to the whole area that I would see it again real soon. Then back down Snake Den Ridge to the car and home.

Good golly Miss Molly it feels good to be out in them thar mountains!

GeneralLee10
11-29-2009, 10:49
For me, (for actual shakedowns) I did a 1 1/2 week section this summer (was supposed to be 2 1/2, but had gear problems and got sick, etc. What else is a shakedown for?) Did a two day hike two weeks ago, and intend to do another shorter one in January, purely to test gear for colder weather.

You sound like you're ready. I also did some longer hikes that weren't meant to be shakedowns, and made me decide to do a thru in the first place. I know I'm psyched!

And really tired, sorry if I'm repetitive!!!

I like to think that I'm ready, but still have alot to learn. One thing is I and others got to remember that the Ga&Nc mountains will tear your knee's up. The down hill is where people think they can hall arse but not true this is where you get hurt. Just by me doing the Little hikes does not compare to the all day for weeks hiking. This last time I made myself start in the rain it was pooring in Hiawassee. I found that rain gear is not the best to hike in I got soaked from my own sweat not the rain. For me I will use an umbrella with a rain skirt no pants. I have my base weight down to around 5-6 pounds, which can change a little depending on what pack I start with. I will not hit the ground running and do 8 to 10 mile days. I would start around the same time as you but do not think walking in the slush and snow would be fun. Can not wait till the Big Day comes!

drifters quest
11-29-2009, 15:07
Made plane reservations for March 9th :) Only a few more months!! Now I just have to focus on finishing this semester and dealing with life in the meanwhile

AggieAl
11-29-2009, 15:48
I have to admit that I am totally psyched about this. I have not done something like this since '64! The last time I was young.

I have spent a year planning this and can't wait to get started so that I can throw away all of the plans and just hike.

I think one of the hardest things will be to go slow at first.

School is out in three weeks and then I can start packing etc. I will also start doing short hikes with a pack 2-3 times a week, plus some light weightlifting.

I hope to meet you all on the trail.

Good luck to all.

paradoxb3
11-29-2009, 19:34
I'm freaking out as well! 15 weeks! wohoooo! I, like many of you, still have a few gear purchases and preperations to make, but after years of planning, i'm so thrilled that march is almost here!

I'm just trying to keep myself as close to trail-shape as i can... I've picked up a few pounds i'd like to shed before i leave!!!

GeneralLee10
11-29-2009, 19:38
I'm freaking out as well! 15 weeks! wohoooo! I, like many of you, still have a few gear purchases and preperations to make, but after years of planning, i'm so thrilled that march is almost here!

I'm just trying to keep myself as close to trail-shape as i can... I've picked up a few pounds i'd like to shed before i leave!!!

No! Keep that extra fat on ya. It will be gone in two weeks of being on th trail anyway. Mite want to work on the cardio so going up won't take your breath.

Mishap
11-29-2009, 22:48
Its almost here! Im leaving march 13th. Its going to be soooo cold up there! (florida boy here) I really need to get to work on the maildrop stuff. See you on springer!

white_russian
11-29-2009, 23:27
I really need to get to work on the maildrop stuff.
Yeah, I really got to work on my maildrops as well. After that I am going to change the muffler bearings in my car.:D

JoshStover
11-30-2009, 00:11
No! Keep that extra fat on ya. It will be gone in two weeks of being on th trail anyway. Mite want to work on the cardio so going up won't take your breath.

I agree. I have actually tried to make myself gain a few pounds to keep me warm but also been walking to work everyday and hiking atleast 30 miles a week sometimes more. I feel like I already have the hunger since I pretty much eat all day. Its hard to believe I will be more hunger than I am now...

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 01:10
I agree. I have actually tried to make myself gain a few pounds to keep me warm but also been walking to work everyday and hiking atleast 30 miles a week sometimes more. I feel like I already have the hunger since I pretty much eat all day. Its hard to believe I will be more hunger than I am now...

I definitely have some extra weight- wouldn't mind dropping a bit before heading to Springer. (Saving a couple pounds on gear, but having lots of extra pounds on my body? Stupid.) But I'm saving some weight to be eaten by the trail

drifters quest
11-30-2009, 01:40
Would like to lose about ten lbs, but I guess I shouldnt worry about it till I get on the trail. I guess an advantage of being in Wyoming is I can acclimate to the cold and make the Georgia mountains in March feel WARM!:sun:)

cbeaves
12-03-2009, 13:32
I am super stoked!

I've been busy with school and work so I haven't had a lot of time to prep. I've got most of my gear but still need to do some food and logistical planning. Also need to try to prepare myself for the last day before I leave my husband for 5+ months!

Thrasher
12-03-2009, 14:00
My wife and I have finals next week and then we're just waiting til February 13th to leave. Hopefully I'll get to work some more soon so I can get some extra cash.
What are the last pieces of gear you guys are wanting to acquire?
We need to order our trail guide, I think that's about it for us.

drifters quest
12-03-2009, 14:13
Well, I still got a lot of gear to get! I need a sleeping bag, pack, and a few other things. Picking up my tent today, my friend offered me one of his alcohol stoves and his guidebook (thankyou!). Have to pick up a few more articles of clothing- especially for winter. After I return from Winter break, i'll be doing a few trips up in the mountains to make sure i got what i need and leave behind what i don't. The temps here on the mountains are commonly below zero, so i should be able to figure out a system to keep me warm.

JoshStover
12-03-2009, 22:59
I would try to get your pack asap and get used to using and packing it. I have been hiking every week with just about everything I will be starting out with, sometimes I add ten extra pounds just for the workout and if I can get used to the extra weight I feel it will be a little easier on me once I take out that ten and probably a few extra pounds.

drifters quest
12-04-2009, 00:39
I'm planning on getting my pack when I go to REI in Seattle over Winter break. Since I still have a few more gear stuff to get I wanted to wait till I knew how big I needed it... I plan on doing a few small trips after christmas break but before my trip as well to make sure that all my gear will work out and that I have enough but not too much stuff.

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 09:35
Bring all your gear to the store and pack the pack you want to buy right there in the store and see how it feels and how you like the size and all.

rjridgely
12-07-2009, 12:29
44, forty-four, XLIV......days to go.
Holidays are planned, shopping is done, transportation is scheduled.
The thinking is over and the trek is in sight.
Solitude without loneliness is on the horizon.
What have I gotten myself into....what will I have to get myself out of.
Meets, greets, retreats at the pace of one step at a time.
Am I ready?
Ask me after day one.
Am I excited?
Ask me when I am done.

Diamond Diggs
12-09-2009, 17:59
i admit the excitement is unreal! But now that the time is very close. Reality of those whom I will be leaving behind - is starting to arise. It will be for sure one of the greatest challenges with this hike.

schraderdc
12-09-2009, 22:44
i admit the excitement is unreal! But now that the time is very close. Reality of those whom I will be leaving behind - is starting to arise. It will be for sure one of the greatest challenges with this hike.

Vagabond - the same realization has started to dawn on me. I have been looking forward to 6 months with little contact with the real world. Now? Not so sure...

drifters quest
12-16-2009, 20:12
Well.. the pony got sold today. I am very sad, but she went to such a great home. This brings me 2000 dollars closer to the AT. I am going to miss pony so much!

Tatertot
12-16-2009, 20:53
Yeah, I have about drove all of my friends and family mad talking about this trip for so long and now that it is finally in sight. Im about to go nuts myself!! I am leaving on Feb 6 hope to see yall there. Y0-Y0 hike hopefully will see when I get to maine.

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 21:47
i am the worlds largest human being. and what i say happenes.

i made shelter lepored
i created her after i realized my mistakes with ms.
she is perfect in every way
and will hike uncontrollably
she will spell
their will be men
chasers
pink blazers
beware my creation.

djmpa2001
12-16-2009, 22:58
107 days for me , I leave on April 2, 2010. I'v had to reschedule twice and been planning this hike for 2 years. I have all my gear and been doing some weekly hiking trips. I hope to meet some of you people on the trail, I don't have a trail name so maybe I'll pick one up along the trail.

Donde
12-17-2009, 02:13
Resignation effective in 69 and a wake on trail in 73 and a wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 11:36
Vagabond - the same realization has started to dawn on me. I have been looking forward to 6 months with little contact with the real world. Now? Not so sure...

You'll be in a different world, and you'll have plenty of contact with that one! (And once in a while, venture into the "normal" world for long enought o get bacon and sausage to last, then bust a gut outta there!) My plan, anyway. :D

Yeah, I have about drove all of my friends and family mad talking about this trip for so long and now that it is finally in sight. Im about to go nuts myself!! I am leaving on Feb 6 hope to see yall there. Y0-Y0 hike hopefully will see when I get to maine.

Yep- I've stopped talking about hiking so much at home because I can see people trying to restrain themselves from rolling their eyes the minute I mention anything hiking.

i am the worlds largest human being. and what i say happenes.

i made shelter lepored
i created her after i realized my mistakes with ms.
she is perfect in every way
and will hike uncontrollably
she will spell
their will be men
chasers
pink blazers
beware my creation.

:D Thanks (but you can't take all the credit! I did a bit), but Matthewski, as always, speaks the truth.

DrRichardCranium
12-18-2009, 12:31
I think I might give my boss Unofficial Notice today, that I will be quitting on March 19 to hike the AT.

I am a little nervous. I don't know how he'll react.

I work in a research lab, so I figure it is best to let him know as far in advance as possible so we can make plans accordingly.

Hyway
12-18-2009, 12:44
DrRichardCranium (may I call you Dick for short?), I dig what your saying. I made the decision to thruhike only a couple weeks ago. The first person I told was my wife, who wasn't very happy about it, but she is coming around. Then my kids. The third was my boss, but only unofficially. I don't have to officially resign until mid january which will allow them enough time to advertize and fill my position. I was pretty happy with the way he took it. He completely understood my reasons and has been pretty supportive. If the company would let him, he'd probably hold teh job open for me, but we have a pretty full plate right now and they need someone here to keep things running smoothly.

Good luck with your conversation with the boss. Currently my plan is to depart springer on march 21st. I'm sure I will see you out there somewhere.

tintin
12-18-2009, 15:15
86 days to go... just hope US Immigration play fair and grant me the visa. Return flight to Boston is booked. Just need to sort one out to Atlanta and then that's me pretty much done. Will have to get my cooking system sorted once I'm in the US.

Will be showing off my local trail to my American buddy in just over a weeks time!

See some of you in the near future. Best of luck till then.

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 17:19
Good luck TinTin (named after the boy Tintin?), and it probably isn't what you're looking for, but you might like taking the train to Georgia. Though from Boston it'll be a bit longer than from NYC. (I'm taking the overnighter, 16 hours)

tintin
12-18-2009, 18:32
Thanks ShelterLeopard. Tintin is boyish (16-18). He's a Belgian cartoon character and international adventurer/journalist/crime-fighter. I was nicknamed after him one drunken night during my first year of college as someone thought I looked like him. Most had forgotten my real name come the next day, remembering only my newly found alias. I don't look like him much these days though; his looks are timeless and sadly, mine are not. I think the name still fits and thru-hiking the AT will be an international adventure for me!

There is a Peter Jackson / Steven Spielberg collaboration that will be hitting the cinemas sometime in the near future. I'm sure he'll be a bit more well known in the US as a result. Most tend to get him confused with Rintintin (not know on my side of the pond).

I'll look into the train thanks. I caught a train from Chicago to Pittsburgh once and it was quite the experience. I was interrogated by a large group of mormons on life in the UK for pretty much the entire 14 or so hour journey. It was as though they had encountered life, but not as they knew it... the feeling was very much mutual!

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 18:38
I totally know who Tintin is! Read all the books since I was about 6 years old. (Read 'em in french too)

I think it's a very cool trailname!

tintin
12-18-2009, 18:41
I totally know who Tintin is! Read all the books since I was about 6 years old. (Read 'em in french too)

I think it's a very cool trailname!

Ta very much!

schraderdc
12-19-2009, 01:53
I live in South Metro Atlanta. I plan on setting off on March 20. If anyone needs a lift from the airport or the train station around that date, I will try to help you out. I expect that my wife or oldest son will drive me to North Georgia and there is always room for one more in the car.

I havent a clue as to what I have gotten myself into, so I need all the Karma Credits I can amass.

Seriously, if someone needs a lift to Springer on March 20, let me know.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-19-2009, 03:08
I think you'll find "trail culture" very cool. I've never met so many caring people that'll practically give a hiker they've just met "the shirt off their backs". You might not miss the real world as much as you think (except those close to you of course) ... you might start wishing that the "real world" were a little bit more like the "trail world"!

Good luck you guys! Enjoy every drop of your "adventure of a lifetime"!

daylaandjasper
12-20-2009, 01:56
I can't wait to march forth on March 4th!

Diamond Diggs
12-29-2009, 13:02
oh my goodness! 60 more days!!! whewwww. oooh man!

Spirit Walker
12-29-2009, 13:11
Tintin - it will probably be both cheaper and much faster to fly to Atlanta. Amtrak is pretty expensive and very slow.

wacocelt
12-29-2009, 13:39
I'm really psyched though, been compiling food for month one, I'm already living vicariously through myself... Just the food part, I mean... I can feel myself eating delicious trail food as I pack it.

Wow, I must be delerious, delicious trail food?

(It really is good, I've spent a while finding food that I actually will want to eat.)

ALL food is delicious on the trail...

After the first few weeks of hiking you don't miss television, you don't miss sex, you don't miss electricity or hot water... you miss FOOD! In 2000 on my first Thru attempt I was hiking along conversing with a fellow hiker about the meals we would do big miles through a burning forrest for, but then we began to list food that we hated which we would happily scarf down if given the chance.
Through my years of growing up in Texas and the time I spent in Panama in the Army I had acquired quite an aversion to green peppers...

"If someone gave me a green pepper right now I would eat it like an apple..." I joked as we trundled along.

Not thirty minutes later we encountered a middle gaed man, his wife and daughter coming up the trail towards us, carrying a small burlap bag.

"You guys Thru hiking?" he hailed us as we got closer.

"Yessir, so far so good!" we replied, stopping to engage in some of the Q&A which NoBo's tend to become annoyed with and hoping for some "trail magic" which they also tend to take entirely for granted.

"We've got some snacks here if you boys are hungry." he stated as he pulled an orange of the bag each of us.

We dropped pack and sat to devour these citrusy globes of sweet pulpy mana from Heaven, answering questions, chatting and laughing contentedly while we slurped and dribbled.

"We've also got a few bananas, if you'de like them?" We liked them very much. The smooth, creamy fruit quite literally sent waves of joy throughout my body, almost as if I could feel the potassium working on my sore muscles like a magical elixir.

Then he produced a pair of Red Delicious apples which were both red and extremely delicious. His little burlap bag of goodies, more full of blessings and joy than Santa's, was quickly growing empty.

"All I have left is these two green peppers. Not sure if you'll want these..."

My companion and I just looked at each other then burst into gales of laughter, leaving the family a bit perplexed and I'm sure wondering a bit if we had chosen that very moment to lose out collective minds.
We explained the reason for our sudden attack of jocularity and gratefully accepted the proffered veggies.

I can't remember anything ever tasting as good as that green pepper tasted to me that day. Anything.

I'm still not keen on some dishes with cooked green peppers, but I will always and anytime eat them raw.

gruntledpainter
12-30-2009, 01:19
staring April 1.

Totally pumped.

Things yet to do:

get accepted to grad school
quit job
buy pack, bag, and almost everything else
shakedown hikes in the waning weeks
buy plane ticket

but basically, this hike hinges on me getting into grad school so that is the most important thing right now!

Anyone else here leaving around April 1?

Diamond Diggs
12-30-2009, 16:45
march 1st for me..... i am hoping that I will be able to handle the winter weather. I dont like to be cold at night. I am working on getting my winter sleep system perfected. Spending newyears eve up on top of springer! Chance of snow newyear's eve night early new years morning, what a grand opportunty to test it our!

I will be hiking the approach trail tomorrow up to springer and staying on top springer for the new year - i guess there will be other hangers there as well. Cant thing of a better - more sybolic guesture then starting the new year at the starting point (southern terminus) of a path Iwill be journeying for a great portion of this coming year!

SurferNerd
12-30-2009, 18:54
march 1st for me..... i am hoping that I will be able to handle the winter weather. I dont like to be cold at night. I am working on getting my winter sleep system perfected. Spending newyears eve up on top of springer! Chance of snow newyear's eve night early new years morning, what a grand opportunty to test it our!

I will be hiking the approach trail tomorrow up to springer and staying on top springer for the new year - i guess there will be other hangers there as well. Cant thing of a better - more sybolic guesture then starting the new year at the starting point (southern terminus) of a path Iwill be journeying for a great portion of this coming year!

Look forward to seeing you there March 1. I'll be on the approach trail Feb 28. Camp overnight on the mountain top.

Myself personally, its 60 days left to go now. I have a widget on my desktop counting down the days. I can't wait to get away from society for a while. Tired of things in reality, wish I were born a few centuries ago when life was simple.

Things left to do:
Practice Hikes
Shakedown Hikes
Work them Thighs

Diamond Diggs
12-31-2009, 00:03
for sure! I cant wait to meet all my fellow hikers. It is always nice to talk with others who share your same passions for the trail and "simple living"

yeah, I have been singing that "society" song to myself for a couple of weeks now. I am a ball of emotions at this point. Its hard to believe take off is just two months away!

littlewalnut
12-31-2009, 05:30
less than a month to go before i head to the airpot for the 30 hour plain ride to the states and the start of the trail!! cant wait it will be the first time in over 4 years that i have been on the trail

LTROSS
12-31-2009, 11:57
Dropped out of school, left my apartment, liquidated all assets, and scrounged every cent. I would quit my job if i had one but i do not (im still blaming the economy over my own lazyness). Assembled my equipment and started stockpiling food. There is a new kind of ramen, its picante chicken. Bought the maps and guide book, dont like to read. All thats left is to do some exercise, will start when my hangover is gone. Probably around the 3rd of January. All leading up to the day of days, March 1st. Not looking forward to the wet and cold and lack of good beer between trail towns. Stoked none the less. This will be a great year!

white_russian
12-31-2009, 12:54
Dropped out of school, left my apartment, liquidated all assets, and scrounged every cent. I would quit my job if i had one but i do not (im still blaming the economy over my own lazyness). Assembled my equipment and started stockpiling food. There is a new kind of ramen, its picante chicken. Bought the maps and guide book, dont like to read. All thats left is to do some exercise, will start when my hangover is gone. Probably around the 3rd of January. All leading up to the day of days, March 1st. Not looking forward to the wet and cold and lack of good beer between trail towns. Stoked none the less. This will be a great year!
You sound like my kind of person.

schraderdc
12-31-2009, 18:02
You sound like my kind of person.

Mine too... I am likely moving my start date back (or is it up?) from 20 March to 1 March (or so)

LTROSS
12-31-2009, 18:55
the more the merrier

drifters quest
01-01-2010, 00:45
I've got just about all my gear now. Now I just gotta do some shakedowns. Will be real hard when I go back to Wyoming since the temps and weather are gonna be unrealistic of what i'll face on the trail, probably not too different from the whites this time of year so i'll have to find other ways to prepare myself or just rent extra gear from the co-op at school. I went on a hike about 6 miles today, lots of up and downs, w, started snowing pretty good but it was a real wet snow so I figure it's fairly realistic of what I might face in the beggining of the trail:D Good news is I was able to keep myself comfortable. Tonight i'm camping out in my backyard to try out my sleeping system- figured i'd take advantage of the "warm" high twenty temps before I go back to Wyoming.

LTROSS
01-02-2010, 15:39
Hey NOBO's, whats the first town everyone is stopping at after leaving Springer.

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 15:52
Neels Gap. 3-4days

Hey NOBO's, whats the first town everyone is stopping at after leaving Springer.

SurferNerd
01-02-2010, 15:52
Guess what! 57 days!

LTROSS
01-02-2010, 17:50
Thanks, I need to start the whole planning process. Just packed my gear, at about 32lbs with food and water. Beats the hell outta the rucks in the infantry. Less than two months out.

AUhiker90
01-07-2010, 20:15
First week of March is the dat.

I cannot wait to be on the trail and head to Maine and enjoy this awesome journey with you guys!

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 11:40
I believe I speak for all of us when I say...

WAHOO!!!!!

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 11:41
All I can think about now is hiking. I'm taking my dog, my pack and my breakfast sausage for a little day hike after work today- my pack is lighter than it's ever been before, and I want to check it out before next weekend's shakedown!

Lillianp
01-08-2010, 12:02
Oh, I'm so jealous of you Shlep, I'd love to go on a shakedown with other people, but I have a feeling that I shall be doing it solo. I also have to figure out where-the closest for me are in the whites. I'm not particularly excited about winter camping in the whites, so I may go for the berkshires again. Perhaps Greylock for an overnight? And I packed my backpack a few days ago (w/o food and water) and was shocked at how light it was. Of course, I was missing a few things.

I'm seriously considering buying a new pack that itself is lighter-mine is a kelty with something like over 6000cu or whatnot as far as I can figure. Point being, it's big. And I could get a gregory or an osprey that are slightly smaller and lighter. It'll keep me from overpacking, that's a sure thing. :)

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:16
Oh, I'm so jealous of you Shlep, I'd love to go on a shakedown with other people, but I have a feeling that I shall be doing it solo. I also have to figure out where-the closest for me are in the whites. I'm not particularly excited about winter camping in the whites, so I may go for the berkshires again. Perhaps Greylock for an overnight? And I packed my backpack a few days ago (w/o food and water) and was shocked at how light it was. Of course, I was missing a few things.

I'm seriously considering buying a new pack that itself is lighter-mine is a kelty with something like over 6000cu or whatnot as far as I can figure. Point being, it's big. And I could get a gregory or an osprey that are slightly smaller and lighter. It'll keep me from overpacking, that's a sure thing. :)

I thought about buying a lighter and smaller pack too, but decided that I'll wait until Harpers Ferry (where I will be switching out winter gear for summer/late spring), because I'll have less and lighter gear there anyway. And I figure, I'd rather have extra room for now than not enough...

I seriously couldn't believe how much weight I took off my pack though! And I still have a couple "unnecessary" things in there...

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:17
We'll see how light it is with food and water though... :-P

Wish you could come on the shakedown lillian!

Lillianp
01-08-2010, 12:33
Thanks, shlep! :) That is a good idea-waiting until harper's ferry. I could put the money aside and wait. I think I ought to pack and repack my backpack and add food and water a couple times before I decide. See how much space I have in this pack w/all the stuff before downsizing. My only fear is that I'll just add stuff because I have the space. Definitely don't want to do that.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:39
Also- I have an added benefit of doing it in Harpers Ferry- my family is going to be meeting me there for three days, so they can take my old gear home, and that's much better than shipping it or leaving it behind.

EXCITED!!!

Hyway
01-08-2010, 15:14
I plan on switching out my winter gear for summer gear at Traildays when I have friends to give my stuff a ride home. Plus, I have won a pack at trail days every year for the past 6 or 7 years. If that trend holds I could switch out packs as well.

DrRichardCranium
01-08-2010, 16:31
Man, all the rest of you are really going all-out with the preparations! I bought some of my gear, & did some backpacking in the Shenandoahs, but apart from that I'm mostly just waiting around. I don't think I'm doing any maildrops, that's too much work.

I still gotta buy a few clothing items, but I'm not leaving until late March.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not performing as much pre-thruhike activity as so many others seem to be.

Lillianp
01-09-2010, 00:27
DrRichardCranium, I'm really not putting much effort into preparation. I have a few more things I need to get and I have to organize a few maildrops, for my guidebook and the batteries for my steripen as well as possibly some foodstuffs. Probably going to be a total of 6-10 maildrops, all fairly small. Except for the swapping out of winter-summer gear. (Switching sleeping bags)

Hyway
01-09-2010, 02:21
Mr. Head, I am not sure if I will do any mail drops. I don't have any planned yet. I may have a few prepped some maps, or bounce a box with my cell charger maps, batteries, etc. But I may not. Most of my pre-trip activities is based around getting my house and family prepped to be without me for 6 months.

I have a ride to Springer and ride back from Katahdin. Other than that I just plan on walking between the two and let myself flow with the trail.

hiimkevin
01-09-2010, 03:15
first off shlep, this was a great idea! my anxioty has been lessened knowing i am able to talk to people hiking 2010 and who are just as excited as i am!
ive got most of what i need, only a few small things left to pick up. i plan on starting at the end of march.

IM SO EXCITED!!

Spirit Walker
01-09-2010, 12:29
If you are planning an early start to your hike - i.e. February or March - it really is a good idea to get out on weekends now and find out how your gear stands up to the cold weather. We've been doing a lot of dayhikes lately and I find myself absolutely frozen at the end of the day. I'm okay while climbing, but the wind just cuts through my convertible pants turning my legs bright red and the snow turns my feet in their running shoes go numb. Luckily we can get into a nice warm car and buy a cup of nice hot coffee so eventually I thaw. (It's painful, but it works.) When we're on the trail, we won't be able to do that. I'll be outside cooking in the rain, getting into my wet tent and damp sleeping bag at the end of the day. So I need to work on my gear so I'm not miserable when I'm on the trail.

hiimkevin
01-09-2010, 15:34
couple of Qs: is a 20f sleeping bag enough to start mid march with? is a 5500cu.in. pack too big?

BrianLe
01-09-2010, 16:05
"couple of Qs: is a 20f sleeping bag enough to start mid march with? is a 5500cu.in. pack too big?"

Not to be a wet blanket, but it seems to me that such questions are impossible to answer without knowing more about you --- it's like playing bridge with a partner when you don't know their bidding conventions. I'm taking a 20F bag for a late February start, but I have some clothing to wear inside it to beef up the temp rating should it get down into the teen's or even single digits. What sort of shelter you use, your metabolism, whether your bag's 20F rating is an optimistic or pessimistic one (depends on manufacturer), whether it's in good condition and retains its original rating ... various factors influence what bag is "good enough", not least the lowest temp's you anticipate running into, which is always a guess.

Similarly I don't see any way to guess if a given pack size is big enough for a person without knowing a lot about their gear. Perhaps if you post an estimated base pack weight, folks could give at least a "less wild" guess. With a ~17 pound starting base weight, my 3600 c.i. Mariposa Plus is big enough but without a lot of spare space. Note that the way in which your pack capacity is measured could be significant too, for example, my pack delivers 2800 c.i. capacity in the main body, with the external mesh pockets rated (combined) at 800 c.i.

ShelterLeopard
01-10-2010, 00:18
couple of Qs: is a 20f sleeping bag enough to start mid march with? is a 5500cu.in. pack too big?

Well, technically, no pack is really too big- and better be too big than too small. I'm bringing a larger pack for winter/early spring and switching it out for a smaller pack in late spring/ early summer (when I'll have less, and smaller gear). As long as all your gear and food fits (and there's room for whatever food you might want to pack out of town), you should be good.

See you on the trail!

33leon
01-10-2010, 17:20
I've been pretty much ready since December, I just keep adding things to the pack for a week and then taking them back out again :)
Managed to get out in the recent cold weather (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8447023.stm) for a few nights and I'm happy with gear. Just as well since it looks like I'll be working flat out until Feb 12th.
The only toy I've yet to play with is the geotagger I just bought. The plan is to geotag my photos so I know where I took them all from, and eventually have a picasa(or flickr) map showing a line of dots along the AT for all of my photos. It just might take a bit of work :D

Diamond Diggs
01-10-2010, 18:11
50 days till March! Ive got pretty much everything I need except for clothing, which I will wait until mid feb. to get. I will probably end up buying a new pack as well. But with what I have, I could head out tomorrow and have all I really need. ----but I guess I will wait.
Any of you guys planning on going to SORUCK?

Lillianp
01-10-2010, 22:33
I need to do a night out behind my house soon, followed by an over night a little further away. Such as hiking in somewhere a mile and a half or so.

01-11-2010, 14:59
April is just around the corner it seems!! Major gear acquired with the exception of sleeping bag to be picked up this week. Then it's organizing smaller pack items. Experimenting with meals and enjoying a Knorr side with tuna for lunch as I type this, cooked in my new Jetboil as I will do on the trail. I live in Atlanta so will head north at least once or twice for an overnighter to test out the new gear. Will don the loaded pack and trek up Kennesaw Mountain or Stone Mountain here in Atlanta as well, as time permits. It's been crazy cold this past week (for Atlanta) and I feel for anyone who set out NoBo the first week of January -- BRRrrrrrrr. Of course these forums and trail journals are an invaluable source and I'll continue to review for the nuggets of wisdom and advice that have already been hugely helpful.

letmebefreee
01-11-2010, 16:15
2 months to go only need two new sleeping pads and new waterproof top IM READY TO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO so sick of this bumf@%k flat boring ass town. :D

DrRichardCranium
01-28-2010, 14:55
Time to bump this one up again, what with January being almost over.

I've got all the basics bought, still need to buy some clothes & of course food. But I'm not gonna bother with maildrops, that's too much work!

I've also been working out at the gym to build up my legs a bit & doing some day hikes in the mountains.

My plan is to take the train to Georgia on Monday March 22, or Tuesday 23rd, & see what the weather's going to be like & start up Springer when it's nice. I just need to get a Droid or something so I can update my trailjournal from the trail.

Blissful
01-28-2010, 15:04
My plan is to take the train to Georgia on Monday March 22, or Tuesday 23rd, & see what the weather's going to be like & start up Springer when it's nice. I just need to get a Droid or something so I can update my trailjournal from the trail.

Or just check the weather before you leave to see what it looks like. But honestly, if that's your time to go, good or bad weather, just go. :)

Update your journal in hostels, towns, etc.

ShelterLeopard
01-28-2010, 16:53
Three weeks left! Got everything done, and have all the gear, except a good pair of mittens... might make my own, but we'll see. (If anyone has any suggestions of a mitten that is warm and has a waterproof shell, and is not really expensive, I'd love to hear!)

Hobbot
01-28-2010, 17:24
4.5 weeks left for me :)...or more importantly, 21 more days of work left!

I *think* I am all set except for arrangement of a few bills and things that I can't do until the week before.

I can't wait!

Thrasher
01-28-2010, 18:55
Once I file my taxes and drop the annual check in the mail for the state of Georgia this weekend, I will feel ready to leave. Leaving in 16 days. If the weather stays like it is now, that would be great. Will I really make it to Katahdin? We'll see I guess....

pollywog
01-28-2010, 19:23
Finally got on this site this week. Wow alot of info - thanks to all. I've been dreaming about this for years and planning since about 18 months ago. I am going to do the mail drop thing and am cooking and dehydrating food like crazy. Got all my fruit dried last fall and am on the last of the evening meals. I leave in 65 days. Still hung up on a tent as what I have is getting pretty old and is 7# (ridiculous) but may order 2 and ship to REI store where I will try them out. I can't wait to put my feet on Mother Earth every day...well, I'm sure you know what I mean.

ShelterLeopard
01-28-2010, 19:34
I'm kind of in disbelief... Can there really be only 3 weeks before I leave??? Wow. I'm ready!

drifters quest
01-28-2010, 22:22
Got everything I need except for rope (not quite sure what to get for hanging bags) and I really wanted a pair of short gaiters. I did an overnight shakedown the other weekend and was pretty happy with what I had. I got my double rainbow tent this week so I need to get that seam sealed hopefully Sunday. Provided we don't get anymore snow i'll be heading up for three days and two nights in the Pryors once again to make sure its all gonna work. Getting very excited!

BrianLe
01-28-2010, 22:38
"Got everything I need except for rope (not quite sure what to get for hanging bags) ..."

Well, FWIW this cord (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_pro_ursalite_bear_bag_hanging_cord.html) is marketed as being for bear bagging; I have something like it (not sure if it's this particularly) and like it fine. Not the cheapest option, but light, packs small, less inclined to tangling.

Short gaiters: I have no experience with them thus far, but got the I.D. eVent shortie gaiters (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/ID1520). Also not the cheapest option, but you might have a look --- depending on what you're primarily using gaiters for.

Lillianp
01-28-2010, 23:14
I'm kind of in disbelief... Can there really be only 3 weeks before I leave??? Wow. I'm ready!

What you said!! I have to put together my bounce box, figure out how to let my parents be able to use my bank accounts (fairly easy, I think), lighten up a few things out of my pack, and a few miscellaneous things like buy new tires which are completely irrelevant to the actual hike, but not to the fact that I shall be out of town for 6 months...

Thrasher
01-28-2010, 23:28
a few miscellaneous things like buy new tires which are completely irrelevant to the actual hike, but not to the fact that I shall be out of town for 6 months...

I just dropped about $1300 on my car so everything will be running fine for my parents to drive it for me while I'm gone. :(

schraderdc
01-29-2010, 00:57
30 days from today!

gipcgirl
01-29-2010, 03:16
30 days from today!

49 days from today.
Can't wait, will start counting hours soon (LOL)
Happy Hiking for all those starting earlier than me.

gipcgirl
01-29-2010, 03:40
49 days from today.
Can't wait, will start counting hours soon (LOL)
Happy Hiking for all those starting earlier than me.

Spare a thought for me, its the middle of summer over here in Ozzie land the days have been hot hot hot and the nights not much cooler. Between now and when I leave it won't get much cooler.

So my training days have been very hot and sweaty.

Maddog
01-29-2010, 05:25
all packed and ready to go! 29 days left before i leave!

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 11:33
What you said!! I have to put together my bounce box, figure out how to let my parents be able to use my bank accounts (fairly easy, I think), lighten up a few things out of my pack, and a few miscellaneous things like buy new tires which are completely irrelevant to the actual hike, but not to the fact that I shall be out of town for 6 months...

Exact same things I'm doing. Repair my car, change the oil, get another pair of glasses, tell the bank not to shoot ym parents if they want to deposit money (in my account), clean everything... I'm totally done with hike planning and gear though. Well, I need a new pair of mittens, but apart from that, my gear is completely done.

DrRichardCranium
01-29-2010, 15:31
A song for NOBO thru-hikers, by Ray Charles:

Georgia, Georgia,
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I'm say Georgia
Georgia
A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

I said Georgia,
Ooh Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

Helios
01-29-2010, 16:25
Months: 1.2
Weeks: 5
Days: 36
Hours: 889
Minutes: 52,371
Seconds: 3,141,477

Maddog
01-29-2010, 16:43
Months: 1.2
Weeks: 5
Days: 36
Hours: 889
Minutes: 52,371
Seconds: 3,141,477

lol! awesome! :)

JonnyWalker
01-31-2010, 22:15
26 days left and the enormity of what I'm doing hasn't completely hit me yet. I have all my gear, now I'm just counting down the days. I'm about 8lbs away from my goal of losing the weight of my fully loaded pack in body fat. Can't wait to see all of you out there.

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 11:25
Three weeks!!!!! Wow. (and 5 pounds less body fat would be nice, but whatever)

littlewalnut
02-01-2010, 11:34
back in the states adjusting to the cold weater, heading to GA on sat. 5 days till i hit the trail:-)

wudhipy
02-01-2010, 11:36
4 weeks and counting...getting started on fixing the mail drop boxes and fixing the last of the dinner trail meals...dehydrator is still going but progress from chaos is evident...27 days and a wake up...pinch me somebody...this is really happening.:D

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 11:47
Wow, just realized... 19 days. Not even 20. 19. Yahoo!

Good luck everyone! (Especially walnut- keep warm)

tintin
02-01-2010, 12:09
Judgement day is soon impending. I have my interview with the American Embassy in London on friday. I have everything else sorted and do hope they grant me a visa! They have no reason not to, but US immigration terrifies me. I had a friend who was detained for two hours because he had two cans of spray deodorant on him (he sweats a lot and only one brand, which you can't get anywhere but england, works for him). The recent terrorist attempt hasn't helped matters either. If all goes well, then I'll be arriving in the US in 30 days and hitting the trail in 40 days time. I have some catching up with a few old friends first in Boston and down in Macon, GA. Can't wait for both!

Best of luck to all!

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 12:11
Which is why I am so glad to take the train. I've had problems with airports too many times. Mostly in Russia, but still, the security is nuts now. Amtrak, here I come!

DrRichardCranium
02-01-2010, 12:14
49 days for me. But who's counting?

Hyway
02-01-2010, 12:24
I've been reading the journals of the 2010ers who have already started. Until now I have been treating this like just another thing. Sure I have a 'to do' list and I have been buying gear, but I have been pretty much in the now and not really thinking about the hike. I have a ride to Springer and a ride back from Katahdan and in between its just walking in the woods broken up by grocery shopping and hopefully lots of introspection to sort out my head.

But Second Stage's last prep posts on her journal has put all kinds of butterflies to flapping in my stomach. 35 days from now I will leave the summit of Springer Mountain. Good Googily Moogily, I feel faint.

Thrasher
02-01-2010, 17:54
I've got 12 days to go. Taxes are filed. Georgia Department of Revenue check mailed. FAFSA is filled out. Car is fixed. Just waiting now.

climber2377
02-01-2010, 19:13
i guess i should start the ball rolling for my taxes. just posted 41 days to go here. gonna have at least 2 weeks off before i hit the trail. telling my boss i m giving him 2 weeks in 2 weeks. if he keeps me on for the 2 then i will have 2 to finalize getting my car off the road and in storage, figuring out how to get the bills paid and all the in betweens. so excited!!!

Moxcey
02-01-2010, 21:06
staring April 1.

Totally pumped.

Things yet to do:

get accepted to grad school
quit job
buy pack, bag, and almost everything else
shakedown hikes in the waning weeks
buy plane ticket

but basically, this hike hinges on me getting into grad school so that is the most important thing right now!

Anyone else here leaving around April 1?

March 31 or April 1 here. I haven't bought my ticket yet, but I'll be flying down either the 30th or 31st and starting the next day.

Randy
02-01-2010, 22:25
Six weeks left.........Mar 17..Have a lot to do between now and then. All the info on White Blaze just fuels the fire.

jedwa19
02-03-2010, 03:06
Starting NOBO on May 16, so I've got 102 days to go. Having to leave later due to finishing up my last semester of college, hopefully. Who knows might catch up to some of you on the trail.

SurferNerd
02-03-2010, 03:22
24 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes, 30 seconds

ShelterLeopard
02-05-2010, 14:08
14 days left. 14!!! Wwwwooooowwwww. In prep for leaving, I've been cleaning everything, fixing my car, changing the oil, and deleted all but 5 of my WB "subscriptions"...

unclemjm
02-05-2010, 14:20
Looking forward to the posts after you hit the trail. Have a great hike.

Buckeye Hike
02-05-2010, 14:27
Whos starting March 20th?!?! 42 DAYS

4shot
02-05-2010, 15:10
I was thinking of late March/first of April myself but am getting restless. Have everything I need (plus some) and am starting to organize/pack/repack my pack. I am fortunate in that I can go anytime - my reasoning for a later start was so I could get in a week or so of spring turkey hunting but I may just skip it (can't believe I just typed that as springtime hunting and fishing have been at the top of my list of passions since I was a loy younger than I am now). I expect to be able to hear wild turkeys though during the hike and that will suffice. Best wishes to all - look forward to seeing some of you on the trail.

superman
02-05-2010, 16:04
I was thinking of late March/first of April myself but am getting restless. Have everything I need (plus some) and am starting to organize/pack/repack my pack. I am fortunate in that I can go anytime - my reasoning for a later start was so I could get in a week or so of spring turkey hunting but I may just skip it (can't believe I just typed that as springtime hunting and fishing have been at the top of my list of passions since I was a loy younger than I am now). I expect to be able to hear wild turkeys though during the hike and that will suffice. Best wishes to all - look forward to seeing some of you on the trail.

In 2000 I camped on Springer and started hiking on the 3rd of April. By VA people hiking around me did the math and concluded that they couldn't make it so some quit and some flip flopped. I didn't do the math so I summited 7 Oct. I just booked a flight for the 31st of March. The shuttle driver said I'd be on Springer later that day. If I have time to start hiking that's fine but starting on April fools day is fine also. That turkey you could be hearing could be me.:D

Hobbot
02-05-2010, 17:07

If it makes you feel any better, I am cutting into snowboarding season, which has been a winter activity that I look forward to as soon as spring hits each year. Similarly, I am hoping for a little snow on the trail as a small reminder.

littlewalnut
02-05-2010, 19:28
start date pushed back by a day, flight to GA canceled

4shot
02-05-2010, 23:35
If it makes you feel any better, I am cutting into snowboarding season, which has been a winter activity that I look forward to as soon as spring hits each year. Similarly, I am hoping for a little snow on the trail as a small reminder.

we are having a very cold year down here with more snow than I can recall so you should have a high probability of getting your wish assuming the trend continues. Snowshoes may be in order.

Hobbot
02-06-2010, 20:19
we are having a very cold year down here with more snow than I can recall so you should have a high probability of getting your wish assuming the trend continues. Snowshoes may be in order.

Yea, we have been getting more big snow storms this year in Southern Jersey than my parents are in VT. I have 3 weeks yet before starting, but if the deep snow doesn't disappear I'll have to decide if snowshoes are necessary.

littlewalnut
02-06-2010, 21:42
well this is it heading out to GA in the am. hope to see you all out there.

Hyway
02-06-2010, 23:01
good luck, and happy hiking

FaceplantOG
02-08-2010, 17:10
This is my second attempt at completing the trail and I cannot contain my excitement for the next phase! I injured myself on the first try due to pack weight and clumsiness. So to the people planning, I cant stress enough the importance of really pairing down the weight as much as you can. But otherwise, I cant wait to meet my fellow 2010 SOBOs!!!

paradoxb3
02-08-2010, 19:48
Well folks, I might as well chime in with my *three* countdowns...

18 more days left at my job
19 more days until i get married
35 days until i begin my thru-hike

I know, marrying and leaving; I'm living dangerously, arent i? To be honest though my thru-hike has been on the table since the first date, so its not been a suprise. We were trying to decide whether we wanted to marry now or later, and we decided on now.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 19:51
If you guys can get thru a thru-hike honeymoon, you can get thru anything.

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!!

Blissful
02-08-2010, 22:27
Well folks, I might as well chime in with my *three* countdowns...

18 more days left at my job
19 more days until i get married
35 days until i begin my thru-hike

I know, marrying and leaving; I'm living dangerously, arent i? To be honest though my thru-hike has been on the table since the first date, so its not been a suprise. We were trying to decide whether we wanted to marry now or later, and we decided on now.

Well, my nephew and his wife got married a month before he was deployed for a year. He's back now and they are happy. Good luck! Hope she can come visit.

paradoxb3
02-08-2010, 22:54
thanks! i've got so much to be excited about right now :)

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 11:57
Wow.

[ten characters]

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 11:58
(ShLep can't believe she only has ten days left. WAHOO!!!!!!)

GeneralLee10
02-09-2010, 12:05
29 and a wake for me.

I am going to have a BBQ before I go. Smoked Ribs & Pork Butt and the works.

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 12:16
I'm having a fondu bash with family.

Hyway
02-09-2010, 12:38
I have a work farewell party on the 25th. A smaller luncheon at work the next week, a send off by my extended family at my sisters house on the 20th and then a send off with just my immediately family. I will be hauling a lot of extra weight after those meals.

Diamond Diggs
02-09-2010, 14:14
20 days today for me! I am winding down with all the prep. its all coming together. waiting on a couple more orders to come in and I should be set. Reality of this trip hits me every now and again and is quite overwhelming. The rest of the time just feels like I am pretrending, still in the dream phases of planning out such a journey.

mweinstone
02-09-2010, 14:22
pharoh let my people go!

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 14:33
Matthewski! When do you hit the trail?

WalkSoftly33
02-09-2010, 16:04
50 Days!!!!

Tues March 30th (My Bday!) fly down into Birmingham, stay with my sister in Tuscalusa*(Alabama U)

Wed March 31st 4+ hr Drive to Amicola Falls. Sleep

Thur Apr 1st approach trail to Springer Mt. Then onward...

Side note if I arrive early enough to Amicola the urge may be to great and I could see myself tackling the approach trail on Wednesday, either way my first foot steps on the AT will be on Apr 1st, just a very fitting day to start.

- Walk Softly and carry a big spirit

WalkSoftly33
02-09-2010, 16:20
I have also been so stoked about this hike. It was Last New Years Eve that me an a buddy came up with thru hiking the AT. Financially hes not able to do it but I decided to go anyway. So for the last year or so I have been researching and reading all I could about the trail/gear, doing weekend warrior hikes and more recently getting into better condition.

But as mentioned I have been focused so much on this goal, and have been craving the arrival of that day when I say goodbye, that this past weekend my enthusiasm wained a little bit and I became slightly annoyed with that pesky thought. It was more frustration that Im still waiting when I am ready to go now! (hasnt stopped me from obsessing about it haha! as I am on WB right now)

But after going through this post I have to say my enthusiasm is renewed and I can not wait till I set foot on the trail and all of that entails. (Im gonna miss friends and family but will not be missing my job! not in the least...well maybe the hole money part, that tends to make things easier)

Hobbot
02-09-2010, 18:58
Matthewski! When do you hit the trail?

Matthewski, are you coming this year?!? That would be awesome...mmm, steak and pancakes :D

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 19:45
Don't forget the dumplings!

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 19:47
Hobbot, you missed out on the last hike, by the way. Slugger brought 5 pounds of steak and maple bacon. (I, of course, also brought bacon. And pancakes.)

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 21:11
Hobbot, you missed out on the last hike, by the way. Slugger brought 5 pounds of steak and maple bacon. (I, of course, also brought bacon. And pancakes.)

Umm the bacon was good! The whole time was Fun what I recall of it at least.

gratefullyhiking
02-09-2010, 21:51
30 days till my start date , woah woah !

ShelterLeopard
02-10-2010, 11:29
Umm the bacon was good! The whole time was Fun what I recall of it at least.

We definitely need to do it again when I get back!

djmpa2001
02-10-2010, 21:06
I'll be leaving on April 1st 2010, have all my gear and ready to start.

Spot In The Sky
02-11-2010, 00:10
The planning stages have begun, my gear is all set for start date of June 27. I gave myself 1 year from the inception of the idea, so its crunch time now baby!

Lion King
02-11-2010, 00:23
You didnt hear?

They're closing the trail this year for refurbishing.

Lillianp
02-11-2010, 00:34
OH NO! End of the world!!! What will I do now??

:-P
Em

Hyway
02-11-2010, 01:16
The trails is closed?!?

Looks like I will have to stealth hike as well as stealth camp.

Diamond Diggs
02-12-2010, 21:37
AGHHhhhh! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

(BTW: two and one half weeks til take-off!)

DrRichardCranium
02-18-2010, 16:33
after this week I've got four more weeks of work. The week after that I'll be on Mt Springer (sometime around March 23-26, whenever the weather's good).

Still need to fix some things in the house before the house sitter arrives. And I've got most of my gear, just need a few clothing items & of course food.

Work sucks. WORK SUCKS!!

Maddog
02-18-2010, 17:00
9 days!!!:D:D:banana:D:D

Diamond Diggs
02-18-2010, 19:06
I will be on the trail in 10 DAYS tomorrow! WOW. everything has been purchased mail drop to fontana and bounce box is ready to be sent out, and I am on the big countdown to Springer. Reality is beggining to take root as to how big this is.... how long it will be, and how far. True reality is that I still really dont have a clue.... but in 10 days I am going to begin to understand.... and will grow in that understanding with each passing day out on the trail. I am really at a loss about how I really feel....excited, nervous?....anxious?.....EXCITED!!!

schraderdc
02-18-2010, 23:18
I start Saturday week (8 days). Tonight I am on my way to Utah to enjoy long weekend with family before I leave. My friends are either all for this and think its a great idea or think I am insane and will die.

Wave at me as you go by, I will be the short fat bald man with the confused look.

schraderdc
02-26-2010, 00:11
Less than 36 hours to go....

GeneralLee10
05-19-2010, 07:29
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I have made it to Harpers Ferry as of yesterday eve.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:ban ana:banana

Feet hurt other than that I'm doing great.

Blissful
05-19-2010, 10:37
Congrats! I know, the rocks south of there stink. But gets you ready for some of PA, etc

ShelterLeopard
05-25-2010, 12:02
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I have made it to Harpers Ferry as of yesterday eve.:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:ban ana:banana

Feet hurt other than that I'm doing great.

Darn General! Must've missed you. (I got here the 19th too, but got settled into the rental house with family right away so didn't explore town/see hikers much)

I'm still in Harpers Ferry (after 3 1/2 days with family) because I have an infection on my ankle... Ugh!!!! Hopefully I'll be able to hike out tomorrow and the anti-biotics will begin to take affect!

Blissful
05-25-2010, 13:58
Sorry to hear that Shlep. How did that happen? Yug. Good thing you can rest it.

ShelterLeopard
05-26-2010, 11:51
Who the heck knows? I guess any open wound gets easily infected on trail.... But there still seems to be some debate about whether it is a spider bite or infected bug bite (the doctor said it's an infected bug bite, so I'm going with that for now) Argh...

Blissful
05-26-2010, 13:27
Sorry..... :(

slugger
05-26-2010, 13:47
That stinks Shlep. With any luck it wont stop you. Hope you get better soon.

BrianLe
05-29-2010, 18:06
I can relate to the whole "need antibiotics" thing; some sort of gastro-intestinal bug got me, I got off trail in NY last week. Three days in a motel room with antibiotics (generic Flagyl) didn't show any improvement so I flew home yesterday, saw the doctor today and --- wouldn't you know it --- I'm starting to get my appetite back so maybe I'll get well soon enough to get back on trail to do the last 800 miles before other schedule stuff gets in the way.

Lesson for me here is that I perhaps got a little cavalier with the idea of "if it looks like a spring, don't worry about treating it". Or maybe something else gave it to me (the endless debate), but whether giardia or some other cootie, sudden loss of appetite when trying to do 20+ mile days leads to unhappy time on the trail!

DapperD
05-29-2010, 18:17
I can relate to the whole "need antibiotics" thing; some sort of gastro-intestinal bug got me, I got off trail in NY last week. Three days in a motel room with antibiotics (generic Flagyl) didn't show any improvement so I flew home yesterday, saw the doctor today and --- wouldn't you know it --- I'm starting to get my appetite back so maybe I'll get well soon enough to get back on trail to do the last 800 miles before other schedule stuff gets in the way.

Lesson for me here is that I perhaps got a little cavalier with the idea of "if it looks like a spring, don't worry about treating it". Or maybe something else gave it to me (the endless debate), but whether giardia or some other cootie, sudden loss of appetite when trying to do 20+ mile days leads to unhappy time on the trail!Sorry to hear this. You were roaring up the trail! Must have been very cold at the start for you!

ShelterLeopard
05-31-2010, 12:53
Bummer Gadget!!! I hope you're better and on trail soon. I'm way behind (Harpers Ferry when I return) so I won't see you, but good luck!

I had to go home too- ended up visiting the emergency room (with good results). If I had stayed in West Virginia, I would have had surgery and an IV antibiotic and been in the hospital for several days- the "option" (which was not even an option at all) that the doctors in WV gave me.

The emergency room doctor in New Jersey (my home) said that while it is too bad to hike on for a while, there's no need for surgery. (Well, I already had some minor surgery- but this was going to be full out surgery, with a bed in the hospital after and everything. Ugh!!!!)

Moral of the story- keep yer cuts clean! (I guess...)

I'll be on trail when my doc gives the okay.

BrianLe
06-01-2010, 10:10
Hi Shlep! Hope you heal up fast; my appetite is back now but I'm still feeling weird and weak. Starting to get antsy to get back on trail, though (and sad that I'll likely not see any of those I had been hiking with/around again)..

"Moral of the story- keep yer cuts clean! (I guess...)"

My recollection over the past three months is that I always had (and still have) a collection of cuts, scrapes on my legs and occasionally other places (note too that I almost always wear long pants). And of course my legs were dirty most of the time, just the nature of the beast, though fortunately the AT does offer more places to occasionally shower than other long trails.

It seems to me that "keep yer cuts clean" is a whole lot easier mantra to say than to actually apply. Heck, I recall at least a couple of times taking a shower in a hostel and finding a substantial network of new cuts, scrapes, and abrasions I hadn't been aware that I had.

Like my giardia (or whatever), I think there's a factor where different people will react differently; of course it's best to keep wounds clean (!), but I'm sure that lots of people are fighting off stuff like this all the time with just their normal immune systems. I don't say that to argue with your conclusion, more as an guess to explain why your situation isn't more common.

I laud you for trying to draw a lesson out of the experience; I guess a good approach might be to look over various body parts (a la looking for ticks) at the end of each day and if a new wound is found to wash it with a clean-ish bandana and apply neosporin or the like. Yet one more chore when tired at the end of a long day ...

Blissful
06-01-2010, 14:43
Shlep, better this then blood poisoning. You've got plenty of time, you're not behind. Get better and then head on out.

Pony
06-02-2010, 20:13
You've got plenty of time, you're not behind. Get better and then head on out.

Saw my parents today, and they asked me if I was ahead, or behind schedule. I said right on time.:)

Enjoy it.

SwingLow
06-06-2010, 00:16
I'm leaving in two weeks! :D Anyone else leaving in June?

Spot In The Sky
06-06-2010, 09:16
These tales of doctors visits scare me...I start in like 20 days SoBo!! Freaking out mucho.

ragincajun
06-06-2010, 11:22
hey shlep get some gators to cover ankle area keeps the bugs from crawling up i like full pants with gators a lil hotter but no lower body bugbites

BrianLe
06-06-2010, 15:10
"These tales of doctors visits scare me...I start in like 20 days SoBo!! Freaking out mucho."

Hey one of these tales was what happened to me, and it doesn't freak me out --- I'm just annoyed at the big chunk of time off the trail. Stuff happens, you deal with it and then keep walking ...

Gaitors: I'm not a fan. For places where deer ticks are reputed to be common, I'll tuck my long pant legs into my socks and spray a bit of DEET on shoes and socks each morning (well, at least when I remember to ...). The only tick I pulled off myself (lower leg) this trip so far was a big one, however, not a deer tick, and it came out whole and still wriggling, so no worries.

ShelterLeopard
06-11-2010, 12:17
I'm not a fan of gaitors either- but, it might help with the bugs a bit... But, not enough. There's no way to completely avoid bugs without staying home! :D

Sounds like I'm hitting the trail again mid- next week. (After finally combating MRSA and Lyme, and a fever of 103 for about 4 days....) Feel better now- just hope my trail legs come back fast!!! Gadget- good luck to ya!

Blissful
06-11-2010, 13:18
Looking forward to see you again on the trail.