PDA

View Full Version : AT license plates

Pickleodeon
11-18-2009, 16:19
Hey, how do we go about getting an AT license plate for PA? The ones I've seen are VA, TN, NC, and GA.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806109/k.A243/AT_License_Plates.htm

I want one too!:banana

Jack Tarlin
11-18-2009, 16:20
Not sure there is one for Pennsylvania.

I'm hoping to see this happen in New Hampshire, too, but it may be awhile.

Cabin Fever
11-18-2009, 16:24
Find out what it takes for a specialty plate to be created in your state. Will take some magic number of pre-paid applications. Looking at your post sure does make the south look good!

soad
11-18-2009, 16:30
We HAVE to find a way to get PA an AT plate!!!!

trippclark
11-18-2009, 17:36
We HAVE to find a way to get PA an AT plate!!!!

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/license_plates/specialty_plates.shtml

"To qualify for the Specialty Plate Program, an organization must meet the following criteria:

Be a Non-profit organization;
Have as one of its primary purposes, services to the community, which results in a contribution to the welfare of others;
Be based, headquartered, have a chapter or licensed in Pennsylvania;
Not be offensive in purpose, nature, activity or name, as determined by the Department;
Guaranteed a minimum of applications (negotiable) before any plate will be produced. "

Manwich
11-18-2009, 17:40
Not be offensive in purpose, nature, activity or name, as determined by the Department;

Wow... What an incendiary qualification! I may not support an organization I find offensive but I'll die defending it's right to be on a license plate!

Tennessee Viking
11-18-2009, 17:43
Find out what it takes for a specialty plate to be created in your state. Will take some magic number of pre-paid applications. Looking at your post sure does make the south look good!
I think the only reason NC got their plate because they only required 200 applications for the initial production run. Tennessee needs a 1000 applications.

Jester2000
11-18-2009, 18:34
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/license_plates/specialty_plates.shtml

"To qualify for the Specialty Plate Program, an organization must meet the following criteria:

Be a Non-profit organization;
Have as one of its primary purposes, services to the community, which results in a contribution to the welfare of others;
Guaranteed a minimum of applications (negotiable) before any plate will be produced. "

Seems like an AT plate would qualify.

Pickleodeon
11-18-2009, 19:46
So we need some kind of organization based in PA to sponsor/take responsibility for this. Maybe a trail maintaining club? Any ideas, or any suggestions from people in states that have the plates, who was in charge of organizing it?

Speer Carrier
11-18-2009, 20:07
Hey, how do we go about getting an AT license plate for PA? The ones I've seen are VA, TN, NC, and GA.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806109/k.A243/AT_License_Plates.htm

Georgia does not yet have plates. The latest number I saw at the GATC's annual meeting was that we had about one half of the one thousand needed to sign up and actually pay for the plates. Once 1000 have signed up and paid, the state will produce the plates. What you may have seen was what the plate will look like when finally produced.

mikec
11-18-2009, 21:14

I would think that the AT Mid Atlantic Regional Office in Boiling Springs, PA would loosely qualify as an HQ or chapter.

Bulldawg
11-18-2009, 21:57
I think the only reason NC got their plate because they only required 200 applications for the initial production run. Tennessee needs a 1000 applications.

Georgia is requiring 1000 and is about half way there last I heard. I wish they'd hurry the heck up!!!

johnnybgood
11-18-2009, 22:41
Yeah , I think Virginia required around 300 appys to get theirs.
Vanity plates are everywhere you look here. The last time I checked the DMV website we had over 200 different plate designs.

I saw a new plate just today that I had never seen before, a picture of Robert E Lee and an inscription which read 'Virginia Gentleman".

Del Q
11-19-2009, 05:56
I have been in touch with Karen Lutz out of Boiling Springs, could happen in PA, you reminded me to call her today from the road. We have offerred to help market this when it happens for FREE.

soad
11-20-2009, 14:18
I have been in touch with Karen Lutz out of Boiling Springs, could happen in PA, you reminded me to call her today from the road. We have offerred to help market this when it happens for FREE.

:clap:clap

I don't know how much demand there would be here in West Pennsylvania, but I could get three plates toward the goal by making a phone call.....no problem.....

Cabin Fever
11-20-2009, 20:02
If the number of applications is negotiable, it should be no sweat to get one in PA.

Hangman
11-20-2009, 20:39
Count me in for 2! I see that on the Pa web site for special plates they suggest 300 as a target number to do a run of plates.that would not be hard at all.

Blissful
11-20-2009, 22:20

Move to VA. :D

Really, hope PA gets one.

Cabin Fever
11-20-2009, 22:50
As a license plate project member, it's pretty simple to get going, not so simple to complete.

Talk to ATC in Boiling Springs to get someone from there working with you.
Put together a team from all of the clubs in PA.
Research all the requirements from the state.
Design it.
Market it.
DO IT!

Del Q
11-21-2009, 00:17
I spoke with Karen Lutz today, this is tied into something with Route 80, she will press them again, sounds to me like this is a WHEN not an IF. Cannot wait to get mine and pass the word, strongly!

Not Sunshine
11-21-2009, 00:42
I know in NC, the annual renewal is an additional $30 - $20 goes to ATC, $10 goes right to uncle sam. in a town like i live in - i'm proud to show off my mountain love.

Sleepy the Arab
11-21-2009, 13:13
I'm hoping to see this happen in New Hampshire, too, but it may be awhile.

I'd like one.

stunt man
11-22-2009, 17:21
id love to have an AT plate here in Pa!

emerald
11-22-2009, 17:42
So we need some kind of organization based in PA to sponsor/take responsibility for this. Maybe a trail maintaining club? Any ideas, or any suggestions from people in states that have the plates, who was in charge of organizing it?

Probably the logical organization to pursue an A.T. plate in Pennsylvania would be ATC. KTA's focus is broader, but a broader focus may provide more revenue which would benefit more Pennsylvania trails. I would favor the latter approach.

The best way to support the A.T. in Berks County is to join BMECC. Membership is $12 annually or $300 for a life membership. In the case of a life membership, I may be correct in stating the entire amount goes toward the club's permanent endowment and has the effect of providing revenue to the club equal to or greater than the equivalent of one's annual dues in perpetuity.

One can also support ATC, Pennsylvania's A.T. land management agencies or buy a plate to support non-game programs or contribute to them directly. Whether or not one chooses to fish or hunt, a fishing or hunting license purchase generates revenue for PFBC or PGC. Not long ago, I read an email from PGC reminding holiday shoppers of its online store.

jonnycakes
03-22-2010, 17:42
I know it has been a while for this post, but just wondering where we (PA) stand?? I could probably talk my whole family into getting them if that's what it takes Put us down for 7!

Simba
03-22-2010, 19:29
You can put me down for 2 in PA; or maybe I'll just move to my Brother's in Virginia and get two.

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-22-2010, 22:27
Anyone started efforts in any other States, Maine in particular? I know of a few that would be snapped up...