PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mt, NY to DWG

10-K
11-18-2009, 16:30
I'll be hiking this section sobo in 3 weeks and was looking for some insight into this part of the trail.

Good section? Water good? Any stores, shower, etc. close to the trail? - you know... the usual questions.. ;-)

Manwich
11-18-2009, 16:46
Jim Murray's "Secret Shelter," It's marked by a sign that says "Well Water 100 Yards," thought I don't remember seeing one SoBo (i know there's a NoBo one right before the road. It's Roughly halfway across your entire journey. No doubt the shower water will be turned off by then but it's a warm place to sleep if you've overshot Pochuck Shelter... Go due north on Goldsmith Road, you'll see it (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qwj6n68sj1z4&scene=21797876&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=41.309212%2C%20-74.585026). I also think he's got a well.

Water is probably shut off by now at the white house on the descent from Pochuck.

A-Train
11-18-2009, 17:17
I'll be hiking this section sobo in 3 weeks and was looking for some insight into this part of the trail.

Good section? Water good? Any stores, shower, etc. close to the trail? - you know... the usual questions.. ;-)

Good time of the year to hike the NY section. I have a soft spot for Jersey, always a good section. There are lots of food options like the Mombasha store, Bellvale Creamery at 17A, Farm at Rt. 94 near Vernon (the church hostel in town has a shower), pub/restaurant at Rt. 206. Not sure how many are open now though. DWG is a good place to finish up, ravage the bakery and shower at the hostel.

Water shouldnt be an issue.

Don't start out of the gate too fast/hard. The section from Bear Mtn to Vernon is challenging, lots of ups and downs. After that, some real smooth sailing.

Bidwell
11-18-2009, 18:07
I hiked from High Pt. to DWG in August. Water was in good supply then, and I was happy with the shelters along the way. You pass a nice store on Rt. 206 after Stokes state forest, get a hot meal there :)

10-K
11-18-2009, 21:42
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

stranger
11-19-2009, 03:13
Unionville, NY is a nice little place. There is Horlers Grocery Store and you can resupply there easily, they also sell sub sandwhiches, beer and ice cream. There is a pub there called the Backtrack Inn which also lets hikers crash in a small storage shed, or you can camp in the small local park where there is a outhouse and gazebo - cool little town, just half mile off the trail.

10-K
11-19-2009, 12:47
Unionville, NY is a nice little place. There is Horlers Grocery Store and you can resupply there easily, they also sell sub sandwhiches, beer and ice cream. There is a pub there called the Backtrack Inn which also lets hikers crash in a small storage shed, or you can camp in the small local park where there is a outhouse and gazebo - cool little town, just half mile off the trail.

I love places like this. Hopefully it'll be after I've been hiking for a few days..

I hate passing a good store when I've only been on the trail for a day or so. It means so much more after 4-5 days.. ;-)

fredmugs
11-19-2009, 13:20
I did this SOBO two years ago. I also highly recommend Horlers - the sub sandwiches are huge and there is a little pavillion across the street where you can stop and eat. I didn't do this but I understand you can call the town mayor and he may let you crash at his place and do laundry.

I did stay at the church in Vernon. Great shower, laundry, and lots of restaurants within walking distance. I had to walk from the trail to the church but Father Bob gave me a ride back to the trail the next morning.

I seem to recall an older post that the secret shelter is no longer operational. You might want to check into that. I actually pulled in there around 3, used the shower, and didn't want to stop that early so I kept going.

The section from High Point to DWG is just as rocky as PA.

10-K
11-19-2009, 21:15
The section from High Point to DWG is just as rocky as PA.

Are you talking about High Poinit Shelter to DWG? That's almost half the hike! ;-)

Cookerhiker
11-20-2009, 16:01
Are you talking about High Poinit Shelter to DWG? That's almost half the hike! ;-)

I think that's an exaggeration. First of all, the initial ascent from DWG to the ridgeline is easy and also pleasant because the creek drowns out the noises of Interstate 80. Secondly, the only place I recall a rockfield really slowing me down a la Pennsylvania was approaching and hiking near Sunfish Pond. I made pretty good time on the rest of NJ.

The other point I'll make is that the first portion of your hike - DWG to Rt. 17A/Greenwood Lake - is easy. From 17A on to Bear Mountain, the trail is noticeably more difficult with lots of short but steep ups and downs. In particular, be careful on the steep descents with thick dry oak leaves underfoot; they're very slippery. West Mountain is especially tricky.

CrumbSnatcher
11-20-2009, 17:04
the PA rocks don't end til high point shelter.
people reach DWG and expect the rocks to just end. they do ease up some.

ERNMAN
11-20-2009, 17:35
When you get to the deli in Unionville, ask where the Mayors house is. Spend a night. We ate dinner, showered, cleaned our laundry and had a great breakfast before heading out again.Dick,Bill and Butch [?] are great people. They also shuttled people up and down the trail so they can slack pack back to the house and stay another night. They would drop off people at warwick and have them walk back to the house.Just an idea to get thru Pochuck and wawayanda with out the weight of a full pack. Also the shelter at High point has a great stream running next to it. Would also suggest staying there. We were at The secret shelter this past memorial day w/e and it was locked up. had an outdoor shower and a hand pump. Looked like a great place to spend a cold night on the trail if accessible. I heard its only opened for fall/winter hikers.. I would check on that. Also a hand pump on Blue Mt. lake rd. The section between High point south to Mohican I thought was very nice. A little rocky in places but some spots had some great views. Mohican center to The south side of Sunfish Pond had some challenging rocks. Good luck... When you get to DWG and you need a ride or anything feel free to get in touch with me....I live 15 mins from the gap.

ERNMAN
11-20-2009, 17:44
http://picasaweb.google.com/socrholic61
Hers my link from pics of some of my hikes.....Look for the folder marked AT Highpoint- Vernon on Memorial day....This will give you some visuals of the secret shelter, High Point shelter, The mayors house and some of the things you will hike past like the foot bridge. I also have pics in different folders that go from The Del Water Gap all the way to Warwick Typk...Feel free to contact if I can help....

le loupe
11-20-2009, 17:58
I also walked into Greenwood Lake one day- It was break i needed on my way to Wildcat Shelter (northbound) We road walked back to the trail, the switchbacks down of the ridge were only worth doing once.

Water at "the white house" after Pochuk (southbound) will not be on. There was some jug water on both ends of the Wallkill wildlife area. Thanks to Poolman!

jersey joe
11-20-2009, 20:09
The NJ section from DWG to HIgh Point is a great section. Very scenic and follows a ridgeline most of the way. The section from High Point to Vernon is not as good. Very thin tract of land, some road walk and a boardwalk. Take the quick side hike to pinwheel vista in waywayanda...nice view from there. My brother stayed at the Mayor's House in Unionville last month and had a great experience. Enjoy your hike!

sasquatch2014
11-20-2009, 21:25
The other point I'll make is that the first portion of your hike - DWG to Rt. 17A/Greenwood Lake - is easy. From 17A on to Bear Mountain, the trail is noticeably more difficult with lots of short but steep ups and downs. In particular, be careful on the steep descents with thick dry oak leaves underfoot; they're very slippery. West Mountain is especially tricky.

This will be especially so if we have not had a ton of Rain or Snow before your hike to pack them down. I was going SoBo from the bridge thru the park a number of years back and the down hills were nasty like being on ball bearings. Lost footing twice and went down hard. Once they are all packed down not so bad.

You should really like the downed tree on Bucannon (sp) not too far past Fitzgerald Falls. It is about half way up the climb which is in the middle of a bunch of rocks it one of the, too low to get under easy and too tall to straddle types, enjoy!

le loupe
11-20-2009, 23:23
The NJ section from DWG to HIgh Point is a great section. Very scenic and follows a ridgeline most of the way. The section from High Point to Vernon is not as good. Very thin tract of land, some road walk and a boardwalk. Take the quick side hike to pinwheel vista in waywayanda...nice view from there. My brother stayed at the Mayor's House in Unionville last month and had a great experience. Enjoy your hike!

I just did this section 3 weeks ago SOBO from 94 to Mohican. There was only a tiny road walk after Walkill preserve.

I liked the boardwalk, just not the suburbia it was located in.

The kittatinny ridge would have been fantastic if id hadnt been raining.

10-K
11-22-2009, 08:22
So much good information... thanks!

Just a couple of followups....

1. Any problems finding a place to pitch a tent?

2. Plenty of natural water sources?

3. I'm thinking about starting with 3 days worth of food -any trouble picking up the rest along the way?

4. References have been made to things being closed - I'm assuming that does not reply to stores, etc. (like in SNP...)

I know I could find all this out in the guidebooks, but getting the info firsthand is better I think....

Tinker
11-22-2009, 08:34
Jim Murray's "Secret Shelter," It's marked by a sign that says "Well Water 100 Yards," thought I don't remember seeing one SoBo (i know there's a NoBo one right before the road. It's Roughly halfway across your entire journey. No doubt the shower water will be turned off by then but it's a warm place to sleep if you've overshot Pochuck Shelter... Go due north on Goldsmith Road, you'll see it (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qwj6n68sj1z4&scene=21797876&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=41.309212%2C%20-74.585026). I also think he's got a well.

Water is probably shut off by now at the white house on the descent from Pochuck.

Correct. The water has been shut off (at the time of my hike, 2 weeks ago). There is no water anywhere near the Pochuck shelter - carry extra.

Also, the rocks don't stop at High Point - they continue all the way to the NY border. After that it's much smoother sailing.
I enjoyed my stay at Greymoor's ballfield.
Unionville was nice, too. We stopped there for a beer and some water.

Toolshed
11-22-2009, 08:38
Yeah it is still rocky in sections, N of DWG, but realistically, once you are past Blairsville -Milltown road, it is an old cart path along an incredible ridge for the next 4 miles to Flatbrookville (Blue Mountain Lakes Road) then it is another nice 4 walk to Rattlesnake mountain with a few sprinkling of rocks here and there.
From RattleSnake Mtn to Brinks Road shelter isn't too bad, but I always think it is rockier from BR Shelter to 206 each time I have done it.
I do think that this section of NJ (aside from the Pastoral sections) are very scenic, also.

Cookerhiker
11-25-2009, 13:22
So much good information... thanks!

Just a couple of followups....

1. Any problems finding a place to pitch a tent?

Most of New Jersey - the first 45 miles in state forests and state parks - plus Harriman Park in NY do not allow camping except in shelter areas or designated campsites. Also part of NJ lies in Walkill National Wildlife Refuge which in all likelihood prohibits camping.

Unlike the Smokies, you can pitch your tent in shelter areas but your stealth camping opportunities are very limited.

Cookerhiker
11-25-2009, 13:27
I think that's an exaggeration. First of all, the initial ascent from DWG to the ridgeline is easy and also pleasant because the creek drowns out the noises of Interstate 80. Secondly, the only place I recall a rockfield really slowing me down a la Pennsylvania was approaching and hiking near Sunfish Pond. I made pretty good time on the rest of NJ.

Sorry, I just noticed now that you're hiking SOBO. My advice still holds - just adjust for the order and locations.

And I respectfully disagree with Tinker - I would not characterize Bear Mountain to the NY/NJ border as "smooth sailing" with the steep climbs and slippery leaves.

sasquatch2014
11-29-2009, 21:12
Sorry, I just noticed now that you're hiking SOBO. My advice still holds - just adjust for the order and locations.

And I respectfully disagree with Tinker - I would not characterize Bear Mountain to the NY/NJ border as "smooth sailing" with the steep climbs and slippery leaves.

I believe his statement was in-terms of the ankle l biting and twisting rocks. There are climbs with no bout and with the lack of snow fall the leaves will be slippery. but the rocky path is not as bad.

10-K
11-29-2009, 21:16
Just a followup question....

I'm going to start with 3 days worth of food and the only place I'm planning to get off the trail is at Unionville....

Can I grab enough food at Horlers to go the last 50ish miles?

Bonus question... other than Unionville are there any other food/shower opportunities within a mile of the trail between Bear Mt. and DWG?

hope the weather holds - I'm 12 days out from starting...

A-Train
11-29-2009, 21:43
Just a followup question....

I'm going to start with 3 days worth of food and the only place I'm planning to get off the trail is at Unionville....

Can I grab enough food at Horlers to go the last 50ish miles?

Bonus question... other than Unionville are there any other food/shower opportunities within a mile of the trail between Bear Mt. and DWG?

hope the weather holds - I'm 12 days out from starting...

If Horlers is the Market in Unionville, yes you can get enough there, the selection is decent.
Don't think any showers are less than a mile, but you can get a meal at the restaurant/pub at Rt 206 and snacks/food at the Farm on Rt 94, both less than a quarter mile from the trail

dperry
11-30-2009, 00:32
Hi, 10-K,

My wife and I have done the portion from Elk Pen (just inside the west edge of Harriman Park) to Vernon, so I can answer questions on that area at least:

1.) From Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman Park to High Point Shelter is 50.5 miles. There are exactly three legal places to camp in that stretch: Wildcat Shelter, Wawayanda Shelter, and Pochuck Mountain Shelter (which we haven't been too yet). While we didn't stay at Wildcat, we did have lunch there, so we got a good look at it. It's reasonably comfortable, but it's a bit off the trail (0.5 mile or so), the water source didn't look real great even in a wet period, and it's up on the ridge, so it gets cold when its windy (we were out on a very windy day and it was quite cold.) Wawayanda, on the other hand, is lower and warmer, and is close to the trail, but the shelter is smaller, so if there's anybody at all when you get there, you'll have to tent. The water is a spigot at the state park office half a mile away, which I assume will be on, but I don't know that for sure.
2.) One possibility for lodging is you could check to see if there's any motels open in Greenwood Lake. It's off season, so you could probably get a good price. There's a trail that goes right into town, and you could get a taxi ride back up in the morning (more on that later.) If you do go there, check out the pizza place right in the center of town on the main drag. It looks like the dumpiest little diner you've ever seen, but the pizza is fabulous: great cheese and a nice thin crust. It's called Ashley's, if I remember rightly. There's also a motel about a mile or so south on NJ 94 at Vernon.
3.) I second what others were saying about this section having some tough spots. When you get out of Harriman, you start out going up Agony Grind, which is a toughie, particularly at the top (we went down it, which was bad enough), then you have to scramble over a bunch of rock slabs and slick faces to get the rest of the way up Arden Mountain. There is a similiar climb up Buchanan Mountain. Mombasha High Point isn't so bad, as it is switchbacked, but once you pass Fitzgerald Falls you have another killer climb to get up to the ridge of Bellvale/Bearfort Mountain (it changes names at the border) Once up there, you'll have some rock climbing at Cat Rocks and Eastern Pinnacles, and there's a pretty vicious little stream valley to go down into and come back up again just north of the border (this is where you go down the ladder you may have seen in the pictures on this site. We went down it as well , which is probably much easier then going up.) Once you get to Jersey, it's easier, except for the climb up to Wawayanda Mountain (however, you'll be doing it the easier way). There are also a lot of steep, rocky descents, the worst of which for you will be the "Stairway to Heaven" coming down Wawayanda, but getting off Bearfort has some big jumps too, and you'll be going under that tree mentioned earlier coming down Buchanan. Expect to use your hands and slide on your butt a lot. The easy spots are around Little Dam Lake, between Mombasha High Point and Fitzgerald Falls, the parts of Bellvale/Bearfort not already mentioned, and from the bottom of Bearfort to Wawayanda Shelter.
4.) Good views: I also recommend Pinwheel Vista, which is the second best view we've had on the AT so far (behind Rice Field near Pearisburg); it was a crappy day when we were there and it was still fabulous. Others are the top of Agony Grind; Arden Mountain (which is probably better now that the leaves are gone); Buchanan Mountain (not a wide field of view, but you're a lot closer to what you can see than you usually are on the Trail); Mombasha High Point (on a clear day you can see Manhattan); Eastern Pinnacles; the platform at Mt. Peter (well worth the side trip); and several places on Bellvale Mountain above Greenwood Lake.
5.) Be very careful at the road crossings. Most of them in this stretch seem to be in the middle of curves or at the top of hills and have poor sight lines. The crossing of NY 17, a busy four-lane road, on the edge of Harriman was the worst; we came uncomfortably close to getting hit there. NY 17A isn't very good either, but we were lucky and hit it at a slow time. The other places have less traffic, but should still be treated with caution. NY and NJ need to make like PA and start fixing some of these places.
6.) We used Monroe Taxi, Greenwood Lake Taxi, and Vernon Taxi for our shuttles (due to the lack of camping spots, we did this as three one-days and a weekend.) All were on time (early, in fact), courteous, and reasonably priced. Greenwood Lake is here: http://www.greenwoodlaketaxi.com/; the other two are on the AT shuttle list.
7.) Water was pretty plentiful in this part except for Bearfort/Bellvale Mountain, which was pretty dry. If you are planning to stay at Wildcat Shelter, I'd suggest tanking up at Fitzgerald Falls in case the shelter spring is poor.

Hope you have a great time!

Cookerhiker
11-30-2009, 08:53
....Bonus question... other than Unionville are there any other food/shower opportunities within a mile of the trail between Bear Mt. and DWG?...

You can probably get a shower at the AMC's Mohican Center (http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/mohican/index.cfm) but at that point, you're only 10-11 miles from the end of your hike. Per the Companion, their food supplies are limited but if they're serving meals to guests, perhaps you can buy one or work for stay.

sasquatch2014
11-30-2009, 10:06
You can probably get a shower at the AMC's Mohican Center (http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/mohican/index.cfm) but at that point, you're only 10-11 miles from the end of your hike. Per the Companion, their food supplies are limited but if they're serving meals to guests, perhaps you can buy one or work for stay.

I did this during one of my hikes this summer not sure if it would work out for you or not. I stopped where the trail crossed the road and hung a food bag back in the woods. It saved me the hassle of going into town with the dog and also allowed me to have his food there as well. I got a big army surplus dry bad to hang all my food in. Another idea is mail your self some to like Culvers Gap.

Tin Man
11-30-2009, 12:04
I did this during one of my hikes this summer not sure if it would work out for you or not. I stopped where the trail crossed the road and hung a food bag back in the woods. It saved me the hassle of going into town with the dog and also allowed me to have his food there as well. I got a big army surplus dry bad to hang all my food in. Another idea is mail your self some to like Culvers Gap.

I cache food too. Never had a problem.

10-K
11-30-2009, 12:24
Here's a rhetorical question.... If a person were to somehow find themselves between shelters in the no-camping areas right before dark, is it fairlly easy to find a place to pitch a tent?

Looking at the map, knowing my hiking speed and how early it gets dark there is one day where I could possibly be between shelters when the daylight runs out.

sasquatch2014
11-30-2009, 15:06
Here's a rhetorical question.... If a person were to somehow find themselves between shelters in the no-camping areas right before dark, is it fairlly easy to find a place to pitch a tent?

Looking at the map, knowing my hiking speed and how early it gets dark there is one day where I could possibly be between shelters when the daylight runs out.

I would say yes for the most part. When I winter hike I almost always plan to be hiking in the dark for awhile on each end of the day. I would rather do this than sitting in camp in the dark and cold way to early to go to sleep.

A-Train
11-30-2009, 17:49

Lotsa camping. If you are talking Blue Mtn Lakes section in NJ, there is great camping just south of the road/fountain.

eric j
11-30-2009, 18:30
10-k, Spent some time in Bear Mountain this weekend, speaking of ball bearings, there were more acorns then I have ever seen, it was slick with lots of leaves, but the hiking was Great

10-K
11-30-2009, 20:14
10-k, Spent some time in Bear Mountain this weekend, speaking of ball bearings, there were more acorns then I have ever seen, it was slick with lots of leaves, but the hiking was Great

I plan on starting at the west end of Bear Mt. Bridge so maybe I can roll up the mountian. ;)

eric j
12-01-2009, 08:14
My brother is coming up on the 23 or 24th, he lives in wilmington, just a thought if you need a ride? I live about 5 miles from the BMB

10-K
12-01-2009, 12:27
My brother is coming up on the 23 or 24th, he lives in wilmington, just a thought if you need a ride? I live about 5 miles from the BMB

Thanks Eric, I've already got the shuttle lined up and hotel reservatation for the night before. I'm parking at DWG and shuttling up to BMB and hiking back SOBO....

dperry
12-01-2009, 13:19

In the section I discussed, it would not be easy, unless you like lying out on big flat rocks, and even those aren't always available. The tops of the ridges and mountains might be awfully exposed this time of year, too.

10-K
12-01-2009, 14:30
In the section I discussed, it would not be easy, unless you like lying out on big flat rocks, and even those aren't always available. The tops of the ridges and mountains might be awfully exposed this time of year, too.

Not good news.. should be an interesting hike...

fredmugs
12-02-2009, 10:43
I did this stretch in May last year so I can't comment on the availability of water now. I actually did my final 75 miles of PA first and then got dropped off at Bear Mtn. Here's what I remember.

1. Bear Mtn Bridge to William Brien shelter (9 miles). Nice hike with one really tough climb over some large rocks.

2. O'Brien to Wildcat Shelter (19.6m). Easy hike to begin, really rocky around the Fitzgerald Falls area into the NY-NJ state line.

3. Wildcat to Vernon, NJ (17.3m). Easy hike, had to hump it into town and stayed in the church by myself. Great shower and they were cleaning the church kitchen so I got to eat some food they were going to throw out! Also got to do laundry.

4. Vernon to Mashipacong Shelter (26.1m). Very easy hike all the way to high point. Bought 2 large deli sandwiches at Horlers and ate with some thru hikers at the Gazebo. Great thing about going SOBO is you can gets lot of intel. Got to the secret shelter too early to stop but did find out my pack weighed 42 pounds. Ouch.

5. Mashipacong to MOC (26.7m). Rocky. I hate rocks in all forms. If I have to modify my stride because of the rocks then it's too rocky. A lot of the rocks in this section are of the variety where they stick 6 inches out of the ground and point straight up. It poured rain the last 5 miles and I slammed into several of those rocks when I picked up the pace. Otherwise it may not have been that bad.

6. MOC to DWG (9m). My feet were already busted up from the night before and my gear was still soaked. The trail was soaked and all I remember was putting my head down and sucking it up until the end.

There are lots of very easy stretches and you can put in some big mileage days.

BTW - That whole area around the Brien shelter is also blazed for other trails. Some moron blazed the trail with the same six inch white blaze but they added a red circle in the middle of it. Very easy to start heading the wrong way. From say the Palisades Pkwy to Fingerboard shelter I would be on high alert for following the AT blazes.

10-K
12-02-2009, 16:57
So much great info... thanks everyone.

My only real concern is finding a place to pitch the tent in the evening but in hiking 1300ish miles of the AT I've yet not to be able to find a place before it got dark so it'll work out I'm sure.

LIhikers
12-03-2009, 19:40
I've hiked through that section of the AT a few times and you'll find places to pitch your tent. Don't worry.

Appalachian Tater
12-03-2009, 19:55
That is a very nice section and you shouldn't have trouble finding places to camp.

Just be aware that there are a lot of bears and they may not be afraid of you. I had a couple give me some very dirty looks and they weren't even thinking about running away.

The shelters and Mohican Center etc. have bear boxes but if you stealth, hang your food bag. Normally I sleep with my it in my tent but I wouldn't do it around there.

And no, the bears in NJ don't truly hibernate.

le loupe
12-03-2009, 20:23
That is a very nice section and you shouldn't have trouble finding places to camp.

Just be aware that there are a lot of bears and they may not be afraid of you. I had a couple give me some very dirty looks and they weren't even thinking about running away.

The shelters and Mohican Center etc. have bear boxes but if you stealth, hang your food bag. Normally I sleep with my it in my tent but I wouldn't do it around there.

Saw two cubs on Bird Mtn in Stokes SF while i was thru there (Nov1-ish)

Tin Man
12-03-2009, 20:28
chased a bear out of boy scout camp no-be-bo-sco a couple of summers ago. yep, chased him right back up the hill to the AT where he belongs

sasquatch2014
12-03-2009, 21:53
keep your wallet and cash close at hand as these are Jersery bears and they make shake you down. :D

10-K
12-04-2009, 21:40

Well, hopefully I'll won't have any trouble with snakes or ticks - 2 out of 3 ain't bad.. ;)

10-K
12-04-2009, 21:44
I'm keeping a close eye on the weather - if it's going to be icy I'll be hiking the Foothills Trail.

jjohn06
12-07-2009, 16:07
I'd make a point of staying at the Mayor's in Unionville. Its definately an experience not to miss.