PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Lumbar/Waist Pack

dilligas
11-18-2009, 17:34
I am looking for a comfortable lumbar/waist pack for day hikes and biking trips. I would like to carry two water bottles and enough room for maybe rain gear, a fleece and some snacks.
I have looked online at some models by Mountainsmith.
I would like comfort while hiking (not bouncing around or pulling away from my body).
Any advice on what has worked for you would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS

timebreaks
11-18-2009, 20:33
I like they day model from Mountainsmith. It's been very comfortable to use on dayhikes, and I used it touring around Europe last summer too. Plenty of room for a day's needs!

camper10469
11-18-2009, 20:35
Look for a model with suspenders. They tend to slide down around your butt n bounce around too much.

jimale
11-18-2009, 22:18
I have used a Mountainsmith Tour Pack for about 10 years for biking and hiking. It has 2 water bottle holders, and room for raingear, food and a light fleece. It snugs tight to your waist. I had a larger Mountainsmith model before the Tour Pack, but it did tend to bounce around some. I also have an ArcTeryx Q-10 that I use for hiking and cross country skiing. It's slightly bigger than the Tour, but is very comfortable.

toegem
11-19-2009, 12:39
I have the Mountainsmith Day with the strapette and a North Face lumbar pack which is comparable to the Mountainsmith Tour in size. The NF lumbar always bounced and would constantly have to be adjusted because it would slide off my hips when fully loaded. With the Mountainsmith Day which is twice the size of the NF works perfectly with the strapette.

ki0eh
11-19-2009, 13:00
I like the "Waterboy" Tough Traveler waistpack better than the TNF I used to have, holds more and slides around less, but sure is retro looking: http://www.toughtraveler.com/waistpacks.asp

Connie
11-23-2009, 03:14
The Camelback website had many styles and designs of packs: check it out.

jrwiesz
11-23-2009, 03:31
Marmot makes great gear. I have this pack, and used it on my last excursion. Check ebay for the deals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marmot-Highlander-Waistpack-Lumbarpack-Daypack_W0QQitemZ250535486688QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a551424e0

Good luck in your search.:sun

Doooglas
11-23-2009, 05:26
Get a Badlands. Yeah. I know. Never heard of that either.