PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15

Chaco Taco
11-18-2009, 20:19
I am seeing that this bag is onsale at Harpers Ferry and am really interested in it. Any feedback on this bag????

4shot
11-19-2009, 11:42
I am seeing that this bag is onsale at Harpers Ferry and am really interested in it. Any feedback on this bag????

via UPS. I had heard good things about this bag and found a sweet deal online. I haven't tried it yet overnight but I am thinking of sending it back...I don't like the zipper setup...2 zippers on either side that go maybe 1/4 of the way down the sides. Very awkward getting in and out of...plus i can see it getting too warm at times without the ability to unzip and use as a quilt. From other reviews I have read online, others seem to like theirs but I have decided for a more traditional zipper (at least 3/4 length if not full).

Jester2000
11-19-2009, 12:23
The zipper set up is interesting. As 4shot mentioned, it prevents you from unzipping the bag all the way for warmer weather, so I would say that this bag wouldn't be ideal if you're only going to own one sleeping bag.

The nice thing about the way it's set up is that it allows you to sit up in the bag while keeping your bottom half completely zipped in, which is nice for eating or cooking while in your bag, or sitting up in a shelter reading.

Good for cold, wet weather, but not good in Virginia in July.

schnikel
11-19-2009, 12:53

Can't comment on the mens bag, but I bought my wife an Ultralamina 15 last year. I would think the two would be very simular.

She loves hers and the 15 degree rating is correct. This bag keeps you warm! The zipper idea was a question for us as well, but she likes using the bag to keep her warm while eating b-fast or just hanging out in the tent. So it works for her. One draw back is that if a night is warm you cannot unzip the entire bag, but its a 15 degree bag, you will neep the warmth more than cooling off I think.

Another plus is it suffs down very well for a synthetic bag. Hope this helps.
Schnikel

Chaco Taco
11-19-2009, 15:54
I ordered one last night so Im pumped. I really needed a new cold bag and saw this as a good deal for the weight and material. Im just over down for now. Too many times waking up in rain and being cold and wet. Cant wait to try it out next weekend

kiteskimo
11-19-2009, 16:07
I have this bag for sale if anyone is interested. It is slightly used and has worked very well for me for the past year.

Chaco Taco
11-19-2009, 18:11
I have this bag for sale if anyone is interested. It is slightly used and has worked very well for me for the past year.

How slightly??

kiteskimo
11-19-2009, 22:47
I've used it on one 3 day backpacking trip last spring. Other than that, I think I've slept in it one or 3 or 4 times indoors. It's been kept out of the stuff sack whenever possible.

kiteskimo
11-19-2009, 23:28
I meant 3 or 4 times indoors.

brooklynkayak
11-20-2009, 08:45

I believe the zipper configuration is a very good way to go. It means you can wear your bag while making coffee/breakfast on cold mornings or when taking a break. Saves having to bring a jacket for added warmth that you would only wear on breaks and in camp.

Here is an example. This is an Exped Wallcreeper bag. The bottom can opened and cinched up on this bag to make a down hooded vest. It makes me look so sexy:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D2zzVKIfrx0fhGLz0zLkkw?feat=directlink