PDA

View Full Version : What was your easiest section?

Fire Marshall
11-18-2009, 22:26
If you were on your thru-hike and a friend or family wanted to join you,but wasn't in thru-hiker condition. Just wandering where the easiest and safest section was. Such as terrain,elevation,resupply,water,ect.

sbhikes
11-19-2009, 00:19
Most people who want to go backpacking think of it as a camping trip. A thru-hike is not a camping trip. It's a hiking trip. They're not going to be able to keep up with you because they won't be able to hike all day, they'll have way too much gear and they'll be wanting to loll around in their campsites all the time. So pick a place where you can meet them part way on that issue.

The place that naturally changes your hike into more of a camping trip is the High Sierra. You will find it easier to moderate your pace so that you time it right to climb the passes. Climb only one pass a day and you'll hike a relatively moderate distance each day (about 15 miles) that someone not in thru-hiker shape may be able to handle, as long as they are in some kind of decent shape.

Spirit Walker
11-19-2009, 00:36
At the time you reach the Sierras, there will probably still be a lot of snow and snowmelt to deal with. Unless your friends/family are in really good shape and prepared for hazardous conditions, that may not work well for you.

There are several other places on the PCT that are scenic and where you can slow down for a few days because water isn't a concern. I enjoyed Section P in northern California a lot. The area around Tahoe was also nice (have them join you in Tuolumne Meadows and hike north.) It's not easy, au contraire, but it is an interesting area. The Sisters Wilderness in Oregon would also be an option for a few days. Beautiful country and enough water that you don't have to do big miles. We saw a lot of weekenders in that area.

If your friends/family are really not in shape, you're better off having them just meet you for a couple of days off trail. Tahoe or Yosemite would be good for that, or Ashland or Cascade Locks.

As Piper said, you will be used to doing 20 miles or more a day. It can be very hard to slow down significantly to the kind of slow pace (8-12 mpd?) that your friends or family would be comfortable doing. It can also be painful to watch your trail friends move ahead while you are stuck doing 12 mile days. Sometimes it really is easier just to meet them in town for a few days than to deal with losing your momentum.

Fire Marshall
11-19-2009, 09:57
I was thinking of more like a 50 to 100 mile section. They would be in good enough condition to do that. I'm sorry I should been have more specific. They would be in good enough condition to do that. Mostly looking for safest and somewhat easier sections 1 in Southern Cal. and 1 or 2 in northern Cal. or Oregon. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

burger
11-19-2009, 14:19
In southern California, the section from the border to Pines to Palms is reasonably easy and very scenic (the bit from Scissors Crossing to Warner Springs is maybe my favorite part of the whole trail).

In northern California/southern Oregon, I Etna to Seiad was pretty easy and very scenic (though the descent into Seiad is long and very hot in summer).

Actually, all of Oregon is easy by PCT standards. But a lot of it isn't very pretty and can be buggy in summer. Sisters (Santiam Pass) to Cascade Locks is reasonably easy, except for the climb up Mt. Hood (which is only a few miles), and has some awesome scenery.

garlic08
11-19-2009, 19:41
I'd vote for southern Oregon, north of Ashland. It may be a good time to take a little break, slow down a little, unless you've had problems keeping your pace and need to gun it. "The Oregon Cakewalk" is a good place to pick up your pace if winter's looming.

A-Train
11-19-2009, 19:58
Oregon is the easiest miles by far, with emphasis on the southern section between Ashland and Crater Lake and the area around Warm Springs Reservation. But, Oregon (outside of the area around Ashland) is somewhat remote and it can be far distances between towns, roads.

I would recommend the section between South Lake Tahoe and Sierra City (100 miles). You could shorten this to 60ish miles by getting off in Truckee/Donner Pass. This section is really pretty, easy walking and relatively close to big places like SLT, Tahoe City and Truckee, with transportation nearby.

Pacific Tortuga
11-19-2009, 20:03
Get a reservation for the Yosemite Valley. Find a place that will not charge too much for parking when you arrive. Yosemite Inn ? Curry Village ? Take a tram or ? up to Tuolumne Meadows. Treat him/her to a nice greassy meal and some snacks and take off from there. Plan the milage so you reach the Valley when you end the hike, 3 to 4 day's and maybe a side trip up Half Dome.
You'll need permit's, bear cannister and early as possible reservations.
Or just leave the Valley when your done, but if you have not been there for some time, go explore.

Fire Marshall
11-19-2009, 21:27
Get a reservation for the Yosemite Valley. Find a place that will not charge too much for parking when you arrive. Yosemite Inn ? Curry Village ? Take a tram or ? up to Tuolumne Meadows. Treat him/her to a nice greassy meal and some snacks and take off from there. Plan the milage so you reach the Valley when you end the hike, 3 to 4 day's and maybe a side trip up Half Dome.
You'll need permit's, bear cannister and early as possible reservations.
Or just leave the Valley when your done, but if you have not been there for some time, go explore.
I was really hoping to find a spot in Yosemite. But Yogi's handbook doesn't have much as far as town to town ( I didn't see anything about Curry Village or the Inn). Please if you wouldn't mind filling me in more with the section near Half Dome. That would be really great. The climb up half dome would be the highlite of the hike for my friend. Thank you.

sbhikes
11-20-2009, 01:39
My boyfriend joined me to hike from Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows, and then from Tuolumne Meadows down to Yosemite Valley. That's about 85 miles. There's a bus to take from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows and the same bus continues on to Mammoth. You can resupply in Mammoth and Tuolumne Meadows.

The bus is a bargain. It's cheaper than driving. We parked our car for free at the Duck Pass Trailhead in Mammoth. I don't think the bus went all the way to Duck Pass. I think my boyfriend got a ride from downtown Mammoth to the Duck Pass trailhead to pick up the car.

I pushed my poor boyfriend who is in decent shape quite hard on this section. We did 20 mile days. He struggled and I waited a lot and tried to prompt him onwards when it looked like he didn't want to keep going. It was hard to do. But he liked it a lot and we both had a nice time.

I agree that the section from the Mexican border to Pines to Palms is relatively easy. My boyfriend joined me for two days on this section, hiking with me from the border and back by himself. I think the area around Big Bear is not too difficult, either. Plus there's a hot spring.

burger
11-20-2009, 09:54
A few people said to try southern Oregon. Yeah, it's really easy. But the scenery mostly sucks, except for Crater Lake. And the bugs can be bad, too. I wouldn't bring outsiders there to experience the PCT.

sbhikes
11-20-2009, 10:50
Yeah, Oregon is described in Ray Echol's book as "skin diving." You are under "water" (viewless forest) and come up for "air" (views) once in a while. You could go days in the viewless forest in Oregon.

Another easy and pretty section is Lassen National Park. That's the first section I ever did. I spent 4 days on it. As a thru-hiker I spent only 2. Take the lake-blessed alternate route.

Jester2000
11-20-2009, 12:46
I would second the Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows suggestion. Then get up early, hike on the JMT down into the Valley, hike Halfdome, get the shuttle back up to Tuolumne.

As for Oregon, I don't know what everyone else is talking about. I thought it was spectacular.

Meta
11-28-2009, 18:57
I enjoyed Oregon, myself. It's just cruising and enjoying some volcanos. Southern Oregon is a bit viewless but it's not bad at all, there's plenty of lakes and suffering---err, mosquitos. It's not as fantastic amazing incredible as the rest of the PCT but it's definitely still good. I like Oregon a lot, and I've done it twice. Crater Lake, Mt. Thielsen, Jefferson Park, Three Sisters, Mt. Hood, etc. those sections are all amazing, and they not viewless. The longest you ever go with no AMAZING views is maybe 50 miles? and there's still views, they're just not INCREDIBLE like most of the PCT. And for compensation you get super easy hiking and lots of resorts to eat at.

My easiest section of significant length (I'm disqualifying Mammoth to Tuolumne because it's like a day and a half long) was probably Campo to Scissors Crossing. Or perhaps Chester to Old Station. third choice and the longest easy section is probably in southern Oregon, Ashland to Mazama Village.

Hardest always surprised the hell out of me. Anderson's to Tehachapi (pretty much allllll the last 25 miles from the Mojave up through the SANDY SANDY SAD SAD Tehachapi hills. Both years that section MURDERED me. I was almost NEVER as exhausted as I was in that section. Runner up is Tuolumne to Sonora Pass. Surprised me the first year because after Mammoth to Tuolumne you start to assume the hard sierras are all done and it's norcal... but it's not. at all. And in 2009 I was STILL wiped out hard by that section. Go figure.