PDA

View Full Version : Abby's Place

Lead Dog
11-19-2009, 11:33
What can ya'll tell me about Abby's Place? Best I can tell located between 19E and Dennis Cove but looking for more precise mile marker if possible. Distance from the trail, facilities there?

Red Hat
11-19-2009, 12:05
Last I heard, it was closed.... it used to be north of the Mountaineer shelter (Mountaineer is an excellent place, by the way)...at 399.1 cross Laurel Fork and follow blue blaze... phone according to book 423-772-3450... but like I said, last year it was closed.

codpilot
11-20-2009, 11:23
it "moved" so to speak, I too had that description and had no luck finding the blue blazed trail.

The new trail directions, I missed the turn off last year, is to go past laurel creek and hike on to the "bent tree" just past the bench on the trail. By bench I mean "wrought iron and wood" like from Home Depot. The bench is a memorial to Ron G Frey. Supposedly the trail to the hostel is right there. I was tired and missed it 8(

This is all assuming they didn't close after may of course 8)

Happy hunting 8)

chiefduffy
11-20-2009, 16:30
I stayed there this year right before Trail Days. About .3 or .4 below the trail. Above directions are correct. The bench is on the right (nobo), the bent tree and blueblaze just north of the bench on the left. Nice place, great people. Had free burgers and beer when I was there, and free (satelite)internet too. I got the feeling it is only open during peak NOBO season.
- Duffy