PDA

View Full Version : January thru-hikers?

Glenn
11-19-2009, 14:41
Do you know of anyone who has started in January and finished? From the journals I've read, few make it through the Smokies. I've read a lot of "staying in town a couple more nights until the ice clears."

kayak karl
11-19-2009, 14:47
Watchman and Trek, but they don't do journals

Tipi Walter
11-19-2009, 15:15
Do you know of anyone who has started in January and finished? From the journals I've read, few make it through the Smokies. I've read a lot of "staying in town a couple more nights until the ice clears."

There's does seem to be a lot of bug outs during Jan/Feb. I like this great quote from Roger Jenkins of TwoHikers.com:

"She(a CDT thruhiker he met on the trail), was pretty articulate and seemed to me to be a big fan of lightweight backpacking. Note that I am a fan of lightweight backpacking myself, except that I have not been able to figure out a way to backpack and be comfortable and safe in a wide variety of backpacking conditions while carrying a 30 pound pack(the 30 pounds including a week's worth of food). It occurred to me that maybe "there are no such things as nights that are "too cold", rather there are things such as inadequate sleeping bags and clothing."

kayak karl
11-19-2009, 15:28
There's does seem to be a lot of bug outs during Jan/Feb. I like this great quote from Roger Jenkins of TwoHikers.com:

"She(a CDT thruhiker he met on the trail), was pretty articulate and seemed to me to be a big fan of lightweight backpacking. Note that I am a fan of lightweight backpacking myself, except that I have not been able to figure out a way to backpack and be comfortable and safe in a wide variety of backpacking conditions while carrying a 30 pound pack(the 30 pounds including a week's worth of food). It occurred to me that maybe "there are no such things as nights that are "too cold", rather there are things such as inadequate sleeping bags and clothing."
like Tipi said, if your gear is right the cold won't bother you, but remember you will be burning 5000+ calories a day.

Wheeler
11-19-2009, 18:16
I finished my sobo AT in January. I had to make a decision. End the hike, or spend some more loot on the right gear. So, I spent the money and once you get the right gear it's not so bad. But my pack gained a decent amount of weight, and my hunger level skyrocketed.

Tipi Walter
11-19-2009, 18:32
I finished my sobo AT in January. I had to make a decision. End the hike, or spend some more loot on the right gear. So, I spent the money and once you get the right gear it's not so bad. But my pack gained a decent amount of weight, and my hunger level skyrocketed.

Can you do a short list on your winter upgrades? Different bag? Different pad? Different shelter?

Marta
11-19-2009, 19:29
On my SOBO I also did a winter upgrade on Nov. 1. Warmer bag; warmer clothes; extra, brighter light sources (including a candle lantern since it can warm the hands as well as providing long-lasting light); more stove fuel and more food; more reading material. I had to go to a sturdier, heavier pack to carry all this stuff. I mostly stayed in shelters, which I pretty much had to myself except for a brief flurry of holiday hikers around the Christmas/New Year holidays.

10-K
11-19-2009, 21:18
(including a candle lantern since it can warm the hands as well as providing long-lasting light); .

I too am a fan of candle lanterns in the winter.. It's amazing how much light one of those will put out and IIRC, I get about 9 hours out of a single candle.

take-a-knee
11-19-2009, 22:25
A Bushbuddy Ultra with an alcohol backup would work well.