PDA

View Full Version : snow and trail runners

wtmntcaretaker
11-19-2009, 16:30
SO trail runners are a very popular way to go for a lot of thru hikers. do PCT thru hikers were trail runners when they are in the high sierras with all the snow? seems like feet would get cold and wet fast...

burger
11-19-2009, 17:41
I wore trail runners through the Sierras. So did all of my friends. Except for a couple of stretches with cold feet (mainly on uphills; the stomping on downhills must push warm blood into your feet), I was fine, and I'd do it the same way again.

Wheeler
11-19-2009, 18:07
Yeah, I just had Asics running shoes. They worked fine for me through the Sierra. Most people I knew did the same.

garlic08
11-19-2009, 19:31
Daytime temps in the Sierra in June are usually pretty moderate. Walking in the snow up there isn't as numbingly cold as the stream crossings, though. Your feet will be wet most of the time, whatever you wear, depending on the rate of snowmelt when you're in there.

TwoForty
11-19-2009, 21:00
Nope, I used road runners. Better ventilation.

The Will
11-19-2009, 21:12
I've used runners in snow and didn't have much problem. I have found that in cold temps even when wet my feet stay warm while I am moving.

The only thing I would consider when deciding on runners and snow is the inclines you would be traversing. I've worn runners on sections where I had to have an ice ax. My feet slipped out from under me at times but that is what the ice ax was for and I would have had an ax in hand even if I were wearing boots. The major disadvantage with the runners was on slopes with harder snow (in the shade, evening, morning, etc.). It was difficult to kick-in steps.

wtmntcaretaker
11-19-2009, 22:48
It was difficult to kick-in steps.

I suppose the axe helped that too... sweet that is basically the answers I thought. It is different to be in snow when day temps are 60's and 70's instead of 30's and 20's...

sbhikes
11-20-2009, 10:57
Basically, the whole trail is almost a creek because snow is melting everywhere. Trail runners drain and dry quickly. Walking on the snow isn't much of a problem in running shoes. Traction aids may help. I liked the microspikes, but only used them once. Used instep crampons once, too. The microspikes worked better than instep crampons because I could walk on dirt and rock with them on.

wtmntcaretaker
11-20-2009, 16:31
did you carry and ice axe when you used the microspikes? traction does sound like a good idea

sbhikes
11-20-2009, 22:55
No, I had no ice axe. I don't know jow to use one so why bother. I'm a big giant chicken with vertigo and I'm relatively old (44). If I can hike in the Sierras in trail runners, anybody can.

Miner
11-26-2009, 18:55
I used trail runners the whole way. When in the Sierra I carried a pair of wool socks to hike in the snow with since I knew my feet would get wet no matter what I did and the wool at least kept them warm. I exclusively used wool socks in Washington for the same reason.