PDA

View Full Version : Parking near Waynesville/Antietam Shelter

unl1988
11-19-2009, 16:52
I am planning a section hike from the Washington Monument to somewhere near the Antietam Shelter or Waynesville, PA.

Is there a good spot to park in the area?

I am planning on the second weekend in DEC, is there any section specific information out there? Water? Animals? Nutcases?

Blissful
11-19-2009, 23:09
Be sure to check weather before you go - Not uncommon for snow in Dec.

Canada Goose
11-19-2009, 23:48
There is parking at Old Forge Park, just north of the Antietam Shelter, but I can't tell you if it's accessible at this time of year, or how secure it is. My recollection of the area is that it seemed a great place to break into vehicles, as the area seemed secluded. I've also found that most break-ins occur on weekends in warm weather, so you may not have to worry if this is a short hike in cold weather. There are adequate water sources along the way at shelters, and campsites. Pennsylvania is a hunter's paradise, so you may want to wear your blaze orange vest and touque. I wouldn't worry about the wildlife though; they don't shoot hikers :).

Someone local to the area here on WB may post better info than I can provide. Otherwise, you may want to call or e-mail Laurie P at ATC for answers to your questions.

Happy Hiking! CG

Canada Goose
11-19-2009, 23:51
I forgot to say that there is pretty secure hiker parking at Washington Monument State Park. A nice view from the tower too...

ki0eh
11-20-2009, 08:50
Great resource for parking questions: http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=1

Most likely the ball field at Old Forge Picnic Area would be a good spot. It's fairly visible from the back road, that will be well traveled by hunters seeking their last chance to shoot a deer - rifle deer hunting in PA lasts through Dec 12 this year. If you choose to be out on Michaux State Forest which is fully open to public hunting, we heartily recommend orange hat, pack cover, and vest, and eliminating anything brown and white from your wardrobe.

And I also like the likely inadvertent solution to the confusion of the two Waynesboros by renaming the PA one "Waynesville." :D