PDA

View Full Version : Campfires in the Whites

Bribo
11-20-2009, 11:11
I'm planning a multi-day camping trip to the White's in January. We are planning on staying at the Nauman tent site. I'm wondering what the rules are concerning campfires at this site. I'm reading some conflicting things online regarding campfires - some saying Yes and others saying No.

Does anyone have any experience camping at this site and do you know the regulations?

Thanks!

white_russian
11-20-2009, 11:24
I don't recall a fire ring at this site, but its been a couple of years. Just call the AMC directly, their customer service is a lot better than most places these days.

Bribo
11-20-2009, 12:05
Just called AMC-NH. Campfires not permitted. Just makes things more challenging, :)

Tin Man
11-20-2009, 13:21
AMC doesn't allow campfires at most, if not all, of their sites... another reason to stealth. Follow the 200 feet from anything rule (and below tree line of 8+ ft trees) and you are legal.

Tinker
11-20-2009, 13:30
AMC doesn't allow campfires at most, if not all, of their sites... another reason to stealth. Follow the 200 feet from anything rule (and below tree line of 8+ ft trees) and you are legal.
I'd check with the ranger in charge of the WMNF regarding fire regulations. I'd be surprised if they were allowed anywhere at elevation, even below treeline, in the Presidentials.
Other "White Mountains" not a part of the official Presidential range may have more liberal fire regulations.

Tipi Walter
11-20-2009, 13:43

It's real hard to stealth camp and have a fire.

Tin Man
11-20-2009, 13:46
I'd check with the ranger in charge of the WMNF regarding fire regulations. I'd be surprised if they were allowed anywhere at elevation, even below treeline, in the Presidentials.
Other "White Mountains" not a part of the official Presidential range may have more liberal fire regulations.

I checked. While they do discourage fires, the rules state 200 feet from trails and 1/4 mile from huts and campsites.

Tin Man
11-20-2009, 13:47

Maybe hard for you. :p

Tinker
11-20-2009, 13:48
:-?:-?:-?:-? Hmmmmmmmmm.........good point! Gotta hope the ridgerunner can't smell your fire-in-a-catfood can. ;)

Tin Man
11-20-2009, 13:50

Maybe hard for you. :p

Seriously though, 'stealth camping' is stretching the term along the AT. Many 'stealth' campsites can be found along the AT and are not officially maintained, but they are great places to avoid ugly wooden boxes and crowds.

Peaks
11-20-2009, 17:21
Note that the originator of this topic is talking January. Conditions are different.

Tin Man
11-20-2009, 17:29
okay. so i would think only very experienced hikers should attempt the whites in january. too many sad endings for those who were not. and said experience would not need help figuring out where and how to build a fire.

Peaks
11-21-2009, 09:11
Yes. But it's one thing to attempt to overnight in the alpine zone (with adequate snow cover), and another thing to overnight in the lower elevations where there is less exposure.

Tin Man
11-21-2009, 10:16
Agreed. My point was careful planning is required. Hiking / camping in the Whites in the winter is a serious endeavor.

Bribo
11-21-2009, 12:46
Myself and my crew have extensive winter camping experience but our adventures have always been in the Adirondack mountains. In the Dacks only the Eastern High Peaks wilderness forbids campfires of any kind. Therefore, when we are winter camping outside of that area we usually have a fire. A fire during this time of year is a plus for obvious reasons.

We have little to know experience camping in the White's so my question for the forum was more about regulations and less about surviving as we have that covered. :)

Thanks for all the input!

Slo-go'en
11-21-2009, 13:02
Nauman is a very high use area, hence no fires. Are you planing a Presidental traverse from there? If so, once you climb Mt Pierce, you'll be above tree line the rest of the way. No easy way out once you get up there.

Peaks
11-21-2009, 17:05
Backcountry regulations are posted here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2008-09.pdf