PDA

View Full Version : wesser to stecoah gap?

fordtuf
11-20-2009, 14:40
looking to hike with minimal load (water, snacks and emergency gear ). i know that this is strenuous hiking and i am wondering if this is doable during the month of december in 1 day.

Lone Wolf
11-20-2009, 14:45
looking to hike with minimal load (water, snacks and emergency gear ). i know that this is strenuous hiking and i am wondering if this is doable during the month of december in 1 day.

it's only 13.6 miles and not that tough at all without a pack

scope
11-20-2009, 15:19
it's only 13.6 miles and not that tough at all without a pack

I was interested in doing this as a day trip as well... I assume its easier from Stecoah to Wesser? Much of a difference?

Mocs123
11-20-2009, 15:36
This can easily be done in a day, probably before lunch if you get a decent start. The terrain isn't as bad as some say. The climb from Wesser to Cheoach Bald is a long sustained climb, but not overly steep. It would be easier from Stecoah Gap to Wesser, but can be done as a dayhike either direction.

daddytwosticks
11-20-2009, 17:27
Wow...you all must be superhikers! I did this as a two day, one night hike (stayed at the shelter, sorry L.Wolf) in late June and I was definitely whooped. Started about lunch the first day and finished at lunch the second day. Took a light load and went north to south. Good luck and enjoy the challenge. :)

Lone Wolf
11-20-2009, 17:40
Wow...you all must be superhikers! I did this as a two day, one night hike (stayed at the shelter, sorry L.Wolf) in late June and I was definitely whooped. Started about lunch the first day and finished at lunch the second day. Took a light load and went north to south. Good luck and enjoy the challenge. :)

well you are 2 days older than me :)

Blissful
11-20-2009, 22:30
Without a pack would be nice. With a pack it was tough.

SawnieRobertson
11-21-2009, 22:09
I waited, eating a big breakfast at Rivers End, until an electrical storm finally subsided. So I left Wesser about 10:30 that morning. It was not a terribly rough hike, and I remember a lovely very active waterfall on my left, the trail winding around and then being above the Nantahala River and NOC. What a great view that was! Then I trudged on until I reached the area above Sassafras Gap Shelter. There I decided to pitch my tent on the ridge near another woman (Peach Fuzz?) who was eating peanut butter out of a jar. I love peanut butter that way but refused her offer to share. Then I realized that I had run out of iodine pills. That worried me because giardia was not something I ever wanted to deal with again. Then TRAIL MAGIC! Right beside my tent in the grass lay an unopened bottle of iodine pills. It was a WOW moment for me. Then a young man came walking by. He asked us if we didn't want to move on up to spend the night on Cheoah Bald to see the view. Neither of us would budge, so we must have been a little tired. Early the next morning I went on, kicked myself when I came to Locust Cove Gap, which looked to be such a great camping spot for sometime in the future. Then on to Stecoah Gap by around noon. Taking it easy that way, I never could understand why it was considered such a tough section. Now, after I left there and hiked on to Brown Fork Gap, well, that was irritatingly tough. Help me find an orthopaedic surgeon who is also a long distance backpacker. I want to do it again this year!--Kinnickinic

full conditions
11-21-2009, 22:31
Definitely doable for anyone in reasonable shape - tough haul though. Be sure to carry plenty of high energy food, emergency gear, and a headlamp. Allow 7 -9 hours. Extrordinary views this time of year - just a great hike.

Lyle
11-22-2009, 11:04
The climb from Wesser to Sassafras Shelter was long, but not particularly difficult. I psyched myself up for a very difficult afternoon, and actually enjoyed the hike. Not at all what I imagined. I left NOC after 1 PM and arrived at Sassafras Shelter late afternoon. Pleasant hike.

From Sassafras the next day it was up and down, but not exceedingly taxing to Stecoah Gap. Took a break there, got water, then moved on to Brown Fork Gap Shelter. This was my planned stop for the evening, but got there early, felt good, so added another 6+ miles to the day and hiked to Cable Gap Shelter. Total for the day was between 15 and 16 miles, not that bad. Was whooped as others said when I got there, but not miserable.

Your planned hike should be very doable if you are in reasonable shape, get an early start, and are mentally prepared for some strenuous climbing. I do a lot better if I am ready for a tough climb rather than it sneaking up on me.

xnav
11-22-2009, 18:30
I left Stecoah at 7:45AM on 27 Nov 08 and arrived at the NOC at Wesser at 2:15PM. I was carrying about a 25lb pack. I am an average hiker and usually average about 2mph. I do remember the downhill from Cheoah was long and and the climb in the opposite direction would definitely be more strenuous.

takethisbread
11-23-2009, 08:03
I did wesser to stecoah and back last week, I started at 700am or so passed sassafras at about 1030am cheoah bald before 1130 and just kept firing. Got to withona mile of stecoah gap and headed back, I did take shortcuts on the way back, I ended up hiking in the dark, but I got to the noc ok. The morning climb was long but not tough, lasted a good 8 miles or so.

Chaco Taco
11-23-2009, 20:20
Its the last mile that gets everyone. We are hiking Stecoah up to cheoah and jumping on the Bartram. The last mile of this hike is like the other side. I did the NOC north hike last year with a hangover and about 80 degrees. The last haul up was worth it as I camped on top, watched a forest fire being tackled by the brigade, saw one of the most amazing sunsets of the whole 2175. Really beautiful area