PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Gear: Any Opinions?

Powell19
11-20-2009, 16:21
I'm researching gear for a thru hike and the lightest gear for the price seems to be GoLite stuff. Has anyone out there had much experience with this brand? Any opinions?

Yahtzee
11-20-2009, 16:45
I use their packs and love them. I had the Gust, but wanted something a bit smaller so I went to the Jam2. Both were well made and stood up to the lack of care I give my gear.

randyg45
11-20-2009, 17:20
Love my Gust. I've read a lot of journals written by people listing a GoLite quilt in their gear list. No one, to my memory, ever complained about them.
I have a couple pairs of trail runners I haven't really used, but I'm sort of under-whelmed and don't really know why.

Mags
11-20-2009, 17:57
GoLite makse some poor - good stuff.

Their shoes were made by Timberland have had bad reviews.

Their packs seems to be pretty solid ( a Jam II is my all-purpose pack and I've been pleased with it; other people reported similar goodness from other packs).

Their technical clothing and layers? No better or worse from comparable companies.

Their shelters? I've been very underwhelmed.

Check out other lightweight gear companies and you may find options that fit your needs better than GoLite.

Is their specific piece of gear you have a question about? That may work if you have specific questions.

Bags4266
11-20-2009, 18:32
I use the Pinnacle Pack and am very happy with it. Large enough for all my hiling and can be scaled down to reduce volume which is nice. There lastests packs now have hip belt pockets which to me are very handy.

Seeker
11-20-2009, 18:43
i have a Gust and love it... it's getting old, and whatever's on the inside of the fabric is starting to break down and peel, so it's time for another one soon... not sure what i'll replace it with, but am looking at ULA instead of sticking with GoLite.

skinewmexico
11-20-2009, 19:58
Good stuff, good price. Used to be lightweight, they add features every year until they're nothing special now. I'm happy with my Jam2, Pinnacle, Ultra 20, and Hex 3 though. Just wish they had stayed true to their origins.

brooklynkayak
11-20-2009, 20:20
Their shoes get mixed reviews, but my favorite pair of hiking boots have been Golite. I guess because they fit me so well and I happened onto a good pair.

Their shelters are good designs and very durable, but they aren't the lightest.
Example, "The Hut 1" now called "Shagri-La 1" are very good designs, but the Goassamer Spinnshelter, a similar design, it is almost half the weight, probably not as durable though.

As a company, I think they do their best to make gear that meets the requirement of the average backpacker.

amac
11-20-2009, 21:18
I have the Pinnacle pack, and like the other reviews of packs, above, I love it. There are certainly more lightweight packs out there, but you hard to beat the price-weight-toughness of it.

Chance09
11-20-2009, 22:20
The 20 deg quilt was awesome. I just thru hiked with it, but i would say it's about shot. I'm not even sure you could call what the down does anymore "lofting". Other than that it was great. I used it the whole way and when it was warm i just draped it across me and a few time i even just slept in my silk liner. I also spend some nights in the snow and freezing cold with it and it worked nicely. I will say that I also had a down jacket that contributed some warmth as well. For the weight and price it's a nice piece of gear and one that you can probabbly find on sale. I bought mine for around $180.

skinewmexico
11-20-2009, 22:46
You should send your Ultra 20 to Rainy Pass and let them clean it, you might be shocked at how it comes back.

brooklynkayak
11-20-2009, 23:06
Powell19,
I'd guess your new to this forum. You will find Golite to be just one of many backpacker gear companies. They are one of the most successful and cater to more of the average backpacker. You may want to check out some of the other smaller companies that specialize in certain aspects of backpacking and see what's out there.

Golite tends to be less popular for many thru-hikers, because the more specialized companies tend to provide gear that fits their needs better. I like a lot of golite's stuff and I think they have it right half the time, but...

Shutterbug
11-20-2009, 23:15
I'm researching gear for a thru hike and the lightest gear for the price seems to be GoLite stuff. Has anyone out there had much experience with this brand? Any opinions?

I have a GoLite pack and sleeping bag and am very pleased with them, but I have gear from a number of different companies.

The first time I used my GoLite pack on a multi-day hike, a seam ripped out. GoLite replaced it without questioning how heavily I loaded it. Now that I have learned not to overload the pack, I am pleased with both the quality and their service.

garlic08
11-21-2009, 01:23
I've never used a single GoLite product in many miles of ultra-light backpacking. I don't have anything against the company (other than I heard of problems with the shoes), but I've always been able to find stuff that works better for me elsewhere. Check out Tarptent and Gossamer Gear, my current favorites for tents and packs, respectively.

Powell19
11-21-2009, 01:46
Mags- I've been looking at their packs mostly, especially the Jam and the Pinnacle. I'm planning a thru hike and I was mostly concerned with the durability of the ultralight packs. The only framepack I've ever used is a Gregory Shasta that I've had since highschool. It's tough as nails, but it's 6+ lbs unloaded, and I'm looking to trim my gear weight.

Everyone, thanks for the input.

snaplok
11-21-2009, 02:27
I, like most, am happy with my Golite Jam2 pack. I have the 2009 updated version with the added pockets on the hip belt. Have to say, glad I waited for the new model.

Chaco Taco
11-21-2009, 05:46
Hiked with a pinnacle pack. Liked it but, had to replace it twice on my thruhike. Not much support on the waist belt. In the begining, my hips paid a price but eventually caloused over. Their customer service was always a pain in the butt

papa john
11-21-2009, 09:02
I have the Pinnacle, had an issue with the sternum strap. It fell off on day 3. I called GoLite and they replaced it. It's a great pack for <30lbs. I also have a GoLite Breeze that I bought form someone here on WB. It had some issues that needed attention. I called GoLite repair department and described the issues. They said to send it in and they would repair the pack. When I asked how much, they said no charge it was covered under the warranty. I explained that I was most likely the 3rd owner of the pack. They said no problems, send it in. They fixed it and sent it back to me, no charge even for return shipping.

I haven't bought any of their other gear, but I do like their packs and their dedication to their product support and customer service.

Powell19
11-22-2009, 01:30
The consensus seems to be that the packs are of decent quality.

Wrangler88
11-22-2009, 02:17
I bought shoes a couple years ago. They were terrible.

I had a Ion that the shoulder strap ripped in half the first time I put it on.
Sent it back and they gave me a full refund.

Ended up getting another Ion a while later and I love it.
Also have the Jam 2 and love it.

I used the poncho/tarp - it's decent enough. Great for the price for sure.

I also have the Ultra 20 quilt and I really like it. However a lot say that its underfilled.

Tinker
11-22-2009, 08:27
I had a Wisp windshirt which I replaced with a Marmot Ion because it has a hood, my most used pack is a Dawn, which has been discontinued (probably because many folks don't pack it the way I do, using a ccf pad tube which I stuff my belongings into). It carrys well with up to 30 lbs.
I have a Feather-lite sleeping bag which has no zipper but has a foot opening, perfect for pulling over a hammock -also discontinued.
All of these have worked well, especially the sleeping bag which is rated to 40 degrees but I can use it down to 28 or so.
Except for the windshirt they are, sadly, discontinued.