PDA

View Full Version : Trail Names And How They Find You

The Weasel
09-04-2002, 14:30
This is always a good discussion: How should you get a trail name, and what is acceptable?

My feeling on "acceptable" is that some commonsense and at least a little good taste are essential. I was, frankly, a little put off (well, more than that) when I came across a young (17-18) girl who had adopted the name, "Trail Bait". That's a risky thing for a girl (any age) to do on the AT. A few others like "B--- Sh---er" and the like are also part of the reason why thruhikers aren't as welcome in some towns, where people have both tolerance but a fair amount of respect for decency.

As to getting one, I'm on the side of what I call "Zen" trail names...the ones that find you, and not the other way around. I got mine from another thruhiker who told his family about the lawyer he was going to hike with was "the weasel I know". It stuck, and it has a certain perverse humor to it. "Hack Saw" was noted for his snoring, and "Yogi" because of a knack for mooching food from picnickers. I think that such a name is a form of honor bestowed by others on the trail. If you "pick your own" sort of like a trucker with a CB "handle", you lose some of the delight - a form of "trail magic" - that hits you BIG TIME when you drag into a shelter, tired, stinking and hungry on a crappy day, and you see one of your friends as he tells someone, "Yeah, that's The Weasel I was telling you about." And you realize that, "Wow!" It happened.

Might not happen fast...might not happen for a long time...might not even happen at all. But it's total cool when it does.

That's why I encourage people to hold off from a "real" trail name until they get close to or on the Trail.

The Weasel

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service

SGT Rock
09-04-2002, 23:01
Well, trail names can come from a variety of sources. Sometimes trail names are a name people pick like "Stryder" when they are in a Tolkien like mood, or "Soaring Eagle" when they want to express some sort of pseudo native American/Hippy outlook. Others get their name from some part of their past, like a job or place like "Indiana Hiker" or "SAR Boy". And the most common and probably the truest trail name is one you get while on the trail for some reason, like an embarrassing moment in the case of "Hog On Ice" or for some idiosyncrasy like "Bag Lady".

My trail name is sort of a combination of the second and third way. As I started getting back into hiking after a hiatus of a few years, I was a Sergeant in the Army. When asked on the trail once if I had a trail name, I just answered "Sarge" which is slang for Sergeant. SGT is the abbreviation for Sergeant.

On an Appalachian Trail hike, I was crossing a bridge over a creek, and decided to take a picture. I put my camera and extra film on the bridge railing while I took my pack off. While doing so, I knocked my only extra roll of film into the creek. It was in the plastic jar, so it started flowing downstream rather quickly. I put my camera down and ran to the end of the bridge and over to some rocks jutting into the creek because I wanted to keep my boots dry as well as save my film. Well I slipped, landed on a rock in the water, got soaking wet, never got my film, and got some good bruises and cuts from the rocks. At that point I felt stupid from getting beaten up by the rocks. I got the name SGT Rock, like the old comic book character. Since then it has stuck. And the film is probably in the Atlantic or some other ocean somewhere. I think I saw it on the beach in that Tom Hank's movie.

It can mean dumb as a rock, hard as a rock, slept like a rock, can't smoke a rock, etc. A pretty good trail name with lots of implications IMHO.

Kerosene
09-05-2002, 08:31
I belonged to a small, all-male a cappella singing group during college that performed about 200 concerts a year throughout the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean. While I was assigned a variety of nicknames by the group (as were most members), Kerosene ended up 'sticking' for two reasons. First, it was a convenient variant on my surname, Karaman. More importantly, it reminded everyone in the group of the time I "went down in flames" with a girl I spent the evening with after one of our concerts. It's been with me ever since. As a long-term section hiker, the opportunities to establish a close bond with other hikers who could provide me with more of a trail-related nickname are somewhat limited.

EarlyRiser
09-05-2002, 19:07
I use my trail name here. EarlyRiser, it was given to me on my past trip. i was always the first one up, well before everyone else, and my gear was usualy stowed and i would have the bearbags down and breakfast in the process of being prepared before anyone else was up, including the councilors of the camp i hike through. so one morning Charles one of the councilors decided that im just an earlyriser. it stuck so thats how i got mine. a few other kids picked up names along the trip, including nakedboy, a pair of shorts boots and socks are all he needed aparently. i believe that trailnames are better given from somone else naturaly than made up by that person. using your own name is just fine too i dont believe that people should descriminate against any hiker without a trail name.

Perkolady
10-04-2002, 09:57
IMHO-

Some folks prefer the "Zen" mode and look forward to 'recieving' a trail name, but...
Some are more perhaps more timid and may dread the names they 'may' recieve ! lol
Some may just have a favorite nic-name of sorts that they would just like to go by.
Some even think trail names are dumb in general.

IMHO- I think trail names are sorta like the "hike your own hike" thing- should be up to you.

I never recieved a trail name on my thru-hike attempts years ago, but one ARCTIC January morning about 7 years ago at Hawk Mountain shelter, during a weekend
out, while all the other hikers stayed shivering in their bags, I made coffee and tea for everyone (perhaps a bit TOO cheerfully)....
and someone made a comment that I was "One PERKY lady!"
That , and the coffee making. So, they all started calling me
"Perkolady".
I didn't really realize what had happened until I hiked all the way onto Sassafrass mountain the next morning- when i broke out into a big "warm fuzzy" smile when another hiker came up behind and said "Hi Perkolady!"

And so it was.

Trail names are one of the endearing things about backpacking.
But, I think it should be up to the individual.
My two ounces,
Perkolady :)

The Weasel
11-02-2002, 09:46
This thread has died off a bit, but because I see a lot of new members here who seem to be adopting nicknames, I hope they'll read it (and others add to it), since "self-adopted" trail names are a bit contrary to a wonderful trail tradition of letting your name find you.

The Weasel

Former Admin
11-02-2002, 23:57
I think the internet has destroyed the concept of trail names coming to be on the trail, good thing or bad who knows? Times do change and so do trail traditions and hiking concepts? I think alot of folks that use the internet in their planning stages like to be associated with a name before they start, its cool to meet people you meet on the internet while hiking. I meet quite a few last year that I knew from Trail Journals and AT BaseCamp. So yes my name was self appointed, which was probably a good thing in my case since I have habits that some hikers find offensive, like cigarrette smoking and the one habit I'm sure I would pick-up a trail name from ...... SNORING!

I can also see the fun in letting my trail name come to be, but its a little late for that for me, but if your just a lurker on the internet this might be the way to go and let the name find you.

The Weasel
11-03-2002, 12:08
Yeah, well, OK, pick a name if you all think it's cool, but don't be surprised when your REAL name finds you on the trail.

The Weasel

MOWGLI
11-03-2002, 12:37
My trail name - Little Bear - was somewhat self appointed. During my hike I carried a small stone bear fetish given to me by my daughter. Before my hike a co-worker used to refer to me as "Little Bear in the Night" because of my propensity for leaving her notes while I worked the night tour.

In March 2000 I talked to a couple of hikers - Leap Frog & Giggles as we descended into Unicoi Gap. They wanted to know why I didn't have a trail name yet. I mentioned a few names that had been suggested along with Little Bear. They really liked Little Bear and immediately started referring to me by that name. Hence, my trail name.

Funny thing is... that was my name on the trail in 2000. If I were to undertake another thru-hike (and I may), I would probably take on a different trail name. In other words, the person I was in 2000, is not the person I am today.

Mini-Mosey
04-27-2003, 20:24
I have not been able to be out more than 5 days on any one backpacking trip(yet). Usually it's been overnighters and day hikes. I originally called myself "Mosey" because I am not a fast hiker; I "mosey" along. Then while out on the AT a couple of years ago, I found out that a thru-hiker was called "Mosey" so I adapted my trail name to that situation; she should be the more important Mosey since she was a thru-hiker, so I added "Mini".
When I am able to get out on the trail for more trips, especially longer ones, someone may end up with something different, who knows? For now, I'm Mini-Mosey.

Virginian
04-27-2003, 20:37
I dont like trail names and would not have one!!

Jumpstart
04-27-2003, 20:59
Virginian:

I felt as you did, before we did our thru-hike, and my husband conciously avoided it, but if you let them, a (usually) appropriate name will find you. I got mine from Brushy Sage because of my tendency to wake up and get a "Jumpstart" on the day at about 4:00am :) Trail names that other people appoint for you are especially fun, because often they can reflect a side of your personality you never realized was unusual, or outstanding, and having one defintely makes you feel more a part of the trail family, part of the moving community :)

Virginian
04-27-2003, 21:09
Hello Jumpstart,
That was a joke. I mean my name is Virginian. You didnt think that was my real name did you?

MedicineMan
04-28-2003, 02:00
I think most know my story but if not hear goes...30 years of AT section hiking and no trail name, but last month my oldest daughter accompanied me from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap in Ga...we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the night before and she evidently noticed all the meds I took that morning to ease the pain that was coming to my knees....later that day while hiking we met some thru's and learned some trail names, shortly thereafter she looked at me and said my trail name should be Medicine Man.....I said because I'm a pharmacist and she said no it was because of the number of meds I have to take to hike!

Rebel, with a Cause!
04-28-2003, 08:44
My son and I started hiking the trails in the Smokies about 6 years ago. My real name is James Deane and his is is the Same :)

So one day we introduced our selves as The James Deanes and a Thru Hiker said, Wow, The Rebels without a Cause ! My son replied: No we are the Rebels, WITH a Cause !! because we want to do a thruhike. For several years we used that as a combo trail name.

When I started planning for my 2002 thruhike, my son said to use Rebel, with a Cause !! for my self and at Trail Days he started being called: Lil Reb.

And thats how it is to this day.

Sleepy the Arab
04-28-2003, 22:55
Well, if your name is James Deane, I guess the "Rebel" moniker is better than "The Sausage King."

Ha ha - get it? Jimmy Dean Sausages?? Ah well, I can be pretty obscure sometimes.

icemanat95
05-29-2003, 15:24
Iceman was bestowed on me by Bald Eagle and Sleeping Bare at Mt. Collins shelter. I received it as a backhanded compliment, or two edged sword sort of thing. I was named after the Val Kilmer character from Top Gun, for while I was icy competent at what I was doing, I was also a bit of an arrogant prick who needed his ego knocked down from time to time. I accepted the name in the spirit it was given and tried to use it as a reminder that humility is a good thing.

Baldy
08-01-2003, 22:01
The name I go by, "Baldy" was given to me before I ever set foot on the trail. One time, when my dad cut my hair, he took the guard off to do some trimming, and forgot to put it back on when he went back to cutting, so he shaved a little strip of my head bald. So the next Scout meeting I went to, someone called me "Baldy" and it stuck. I had been called it before, but this was when it was made "official". Incedentally, my dad was also call Baldy when he was a kid, so I guess it's sort of a family tradition.

fwassner
08-02-2003, 09:39
Trail names are cute. I agree that one should allow a name to come to him/her.
If I do a thru-hike (planning for 2004) my name would probably have something to do with amateur (ham) radio and/or trains.
I will probably carry my radio with me (if for no other reason than to get weather reports) and talk to others about my adventures with trains.
I can imagine something like "rail trails", but that's already a copyrighted name associated with the Rails to Trails Conservancy.

Whatever. I'll let a name come to me if I'm going to get a name at all.

For now I'm just Frank

:)

MadAussieInLondon
08-02-2003, 17:55
i've had two trailnames in my life. my current one, Bloody Cactus, and Chunder Downunder.

chunder is aussie for throwing up/technicolour yawn/puke.. which was what I did a lot of at one point in a hike :)

bloody cactus came about because a group of us got to telling childhood stories around the campfire...

when I was little, I sat plumb right on a cactus and had to have the spines pulled out of me bum!! as well as my gear breaking down and me swearing that my stuff was cactus and bloody cactus..

(cactus is aussie for dead/broken/bung/sh-thouse;
bloody being the aussie universal qualifer)...

my whining 'this compass is bloody cactus, my knee is cactus, my guts are bloody cactus' and my childhood story earned me the name Bloody Cactus...

(I much prefer it than being called Chunder Downunder)

once your given a trailname tho, its yours for life!

i was given it by two brothers, gecko + skink (they never shutup going on and on about lizards and stuff)

i think its good to be given a name from someone else, since its often something more imaginative than what you would have given yourself....

Doctari
11-27-2003, 02:03
My "trail name" was given to me, so I guess it is a "zen" name. However, it wasnt given me on the trail: I worked as an EMT at the Cinti Zoo. I did a little more than the normal EMT duties of basic first aid, (but within scope of practies, thank you) so the employees started calling me "Doc", and unlike most nicknames, mine got bigger, and grew to "Doctari", partly because of my rendering first aid and because I dressed alot like the TV character/show by the name of Daktari. (some even say I semi resemble the actor)

I use it now on the trail, and answer to it as readily as my given name.
:dance

squirrel bait
11-28-2003, 01:53
A name given to me cause it rhymes with merle. Had it for years and I am not telling how many. Make it up, earn it, sew it on your pack, get it out of a book, dreamed it, if you like it and it fits, keep it.

Doctari
11-28-2003, 15:06
I like trail names. don't know why. For me I guess it allows me to be "someone else" for a while.
AND, I get to use a few other "trail type" names when I work at the Ren Fest. :bse

Doctari.

Chappy
11-29-2003, 19:06
For those who say names should be given only on the trail: Would that be on a thru hike only?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

A-Train
11-29-2003, 19:39
Chappy- Trail names are for everyone- weekenders, sectioners and thrus. Mostly they're used by thrus and long term sectioners but anyone can have one.

Lint
02-13-2004, 20:44
Never been on the AT yet, but I use Lint alot. I had written the letters LNT on my NOLS notebook years ago, and added a lower case 'c' and 'i' to spell my name. c L i N T. A play on words with the Leave No Trace abbreviation. Get it? So I was called Lint by a few folks on that trip.

On my Ice Age Trail thru-hike I was shedding every ounce of weight I could from my pack, and my non-backpacker friends thought this was weird. But that's what they call ya when you cut the handle off yer toothbrush! So I joked with them saying I was cutting the 'C' from my name again... just to save weight. So I left the 'C' at home and became Lint again!

Oh, and all my park uniforms have Lint stitched on the front pocket now, but with the crappy wages they pay it makes since. All my pockets seem to have in them is lint.

SorFinger
02-14-2004, 00:49
I haven't really got a trail name, but that's ok because I haven't been on the AT yet. sorFinger is just a screen name. It came about because I had just whacked my hand on a broken toilet tank lid and sliced my finger open. (darn near chopped it off!) While I was trying to register to WB I was chatting with a friend who noticed my many typos. When I tried to explain that it was because I had a "sore finger" it came out "sorfinger." It was he who dubbed me SorFinger and it just kind of stuck. I hope when I finally get to hit the AT I'll get a real trail name!

sakkit
02-15-2004, 00:42
My trail name Sakkit (pronounced sa-keet) I believe is Inuit for ''to wander''.I also believe
it is the name for there seal skin kayaks.

Sakkit

Kozmic Zian
02-15-2004, 15:32
This is always a good discussion: How should you get a trail name, and what is acceptable?

My feeling on "acceptable" is that some commonsense and at least a little good taste are essential. I was, frankly, a little put off (well, more than that) when I came across a young (17-18) girl who had adopted the name, "Trail Bait". That's a risky thing for a girl (any age) to do on the AT. A few others like "B--- Sh---er" and the like are also part of the reason why thruhikers aren't as welcome in some towns, where people have both tolerance but a fair amount of respect for decency.

As to getting one, I'm on the side of what I call "Zen" trail names...the ones that find you, and not the other way around. I got mine from another thruhiker who told his family about the lawyer he was going to hike with was "the weasel I know". It stuck, and it has a certain perverse humor to it. "Hack Saw" was noted for his snoring, and "Yogi" because of a knack for mooching food from picnickers. I think that such a name is a form of honor bestowed by others on the trail. If you "pick your own" sort of like a trucker with a CB "handle", you lose some of the delight - a form of "trail magic" - that hits you BIG TIME when you drag into a shelter, tired, stinking and hungry on a crappy day, and you see one of your friends as he tells someone, "Yeah, that's The Weasel I was telling you about." And you realize that, "Wow!" It happened.

Might not happen fast...might not happen for a long time...might not even happen at all. But it's total cool when it does.

That's why I encourage people to hold off from a "real" trail name until they get close to or on the Trail.

The Weasel

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service
Yea....Trail Names. Mine comes from years before I hiked The Trail. I'm an artist, and have been doing Renaissance Faires all around the country for over 20yrs. I'm also a drummer(hand) and spiritulist. I lead the 'drum jam' at the Minnesota Renaissance Faire. So, my birth lst name is John....someone years ago said to me to spell it differently to get a 'showy' faire name....I did, 'Zian' came into being....Then, because I'm always talking about astrology, tarot, and the cosmos, Cosmic followed shortly thereafter....So then it evolved over the course of several years to 'Kozmic Zian' of which it remains today and for ever more. After I hiked The Trail thru in '96, my Trail Name has become etched in stone, and in my soul forever.

Frosty
02-15-2004, 15:53
"self-adopted" trail names are a bit contrary to a wonderful trail tradition of letting your name find you.

The Weasel

And that is wrong? It may be different from your way, but as that old hiker/poet Rudyard Kipling once said:

But my Totem saw the shame; from his ridgepole-shrine he came,
And he told me in a vision of the night: -
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
"And every single one of them is right!"

Then the silence closed upon me till They put new clothing on me
Of whiter, weaker flesh and bone more frail;
And I stepped beneath Time's finger, once again a tribal singer,
And a minor poet certified by Traill.

2XL
02-15-2004, 17:47
I got the name Moose not because of my size,I am 6'4' and weigh in around 260.
One day I was running through the woods on my way back to the shelter. I was running from a swarm of yellow jackets. I am not allergic, but I am hyper sensitive. The mere sight of a nest and I run like a coward, and I'll admit it, it is not like watching a gazelle.
Somebody said it sounded like a moose was charging the shelter. It stuck, I accepted it.
About 2 monthes later I was having lunch at a NY shelter on a rainy day talking with a woman named "Turtle". We were explaining how we each got our names. When I got done with my story she asked, "Well how big are you?" So many replies came rushing to me :eek: , but not wanting to be piggish with a smart@ss comment I simply said, "I'm 2XL."
Just as the words left my mouth, a head popped around the corner of the shelter and said, "Hi 2 XL my name is Packman"
With so many Mooses out there I gladly took the name.
I like it, and would like to use the name on this site, but I am not sure as to how to change names. Anyone know?

EarthMuffin
03-29-2004, 22:02
Mine came about when our school was reforming the outdoors club around this time last year. Not all of us knew each other too well so when the newsletter was being sent out the girl doing it could remember my face but not my name and so named me Earthmuffin because I seem to look like one. So one day I picked up the mail and it was addressed to Earthmuffin and its kind of sticked. :) So now after a decent bit of fund raising, a couple day treks, and a trip to Assateague, MD we are finally gearing up for a section of the AT *cheers*

torch
03-29-2004, 23:28
Some people choose their own, others are given. Mine was given to me by a thru-hiker I met on one of my section hikes. I was re-lighting my stove thinking the element was still hot enough from previous use to vaporize the fuel coming through. It wasn't. Fuel spouting out in liquid form from the nozzle, igniting a 3-foot high fireball for a couple seconds. After that, he just kept calling me "torch"!

My most frequent hiking buddy got his name, Maphound, because he looks at the maps with almost annoying frequency. At any rate, once someone calls you something you like, just start introducing yourself as that.

VAMTNHIKER
03-30-2004, 12:26
Being a weekend hiker and a scout leader, mine is self-imposed until I get the opportunity to "earn" a better one on the trail!

...and yes I advertise on my truck... currently T473 SM (Troop 473 Scoutmaster) ... now I have to figure out how to develop a six letter Virginia plate now that I am the Advisor for Crew 473.

slabfoot
03-30-2004, 13:20
size 13 wide.

regards,
Bill SLABonik

The Eleven
08-26-2004, 15:07
Well, I should contribute to this thread, since it is interesting to see how everybody obtained there trail name. Mine is also Little Bear but to distinguish it from the other (s), I just stick a #2 at the end when I sign. Mine was self appointed back in 99 when I was doing a section of the AT in Mass. solo. I was about 3 miles from my car on my last day out in the Beartown State Forest area, and I was kind of bumming because I hadn't see any black bears. I had stopped for a quick lunch in the middle of the trail and a little drizzle was falling, which made the woods seem quiet and mysterious. I thought to myself, almost too quiet. Anyway, I started day-dreaming and then I heard a very soft noise. I turn around and low and behold not one but two bears coming up from a ravine feeding on grubs! I was about 30 yards away. I'm surprized they didn't smell me. Anycase, I made them aware I was there and the smaller one took off a little ways, but the larger one didn't budge and proceeded to stare me down, so I packed up and took off carefully...all the while looking back to see if it was following me. So that's how I got my trail name....I took off just like the little bear. Hey, what do you want? First time encounter with black bears very up close. I think I s--t my pants! Happy Trails! Little Bear 2

IceDragon
10-03-2004, 22:41
I am looking forward to getting one! Icedragon is just my screen name.
I can ahrdly wait to be ready to hike the AT and earn a name^_^

Mags
10-04-2004, 10:56
Boy..I've answered this question many times over the years. :) But..it is a good one.

The "trail name" is an 80+ year old family nickname. The last name (Magnanti) trips up many people. Was "Magaroni" on the AT...but was shortened to Mags by many people anyway! My grandfather was Dom(enic) Mags, dad and brother are Steve Mags, other brother is Joey Mags and I am often called Paul Mags. Many times, people will just call me Mags for short in the "real world"; at work ther are two Pauls..guess what they call me? :) My friends here in Boulder will often just call me Mags as well.

Since the outdoors is such a large part of my life, having two seperate names is not that important to me. And, I think it is way cool to have a nickname that has been so long in my family.

Morning Glory
11-27-2004, 11:35
Earlier this summer, I let Miss Janet give me a trail name. She chose "Mr. Clean" because of the line of work I'm in (I sell janitorial supplies). Well, it was o.k., but last week on my hike in Georgia, I was renamed at Low Gap Shelter. I came into the shelter after dark...the last one arriving. It was starting to rain. I was downright exhausted, having put in a 16 mile day as a section hiker. Well, everyone was in their sleeping bags and the shelter was full, so after sitting there at the picnic table for a few minutes, I finally decided I needed to pitch my tent. Before doing so, I just had to take my boots because my feet were aching. As I walked around barefooted in the dark, i suddenly felt a sticky, squishy feeling on my left foot, so then I spent another ten minutes trying to get this sticky smelly substance off my foot. I assumed it was dog crap. Well, after getting a good nights sleep, as everyone was eating breakfast, I mentioned how annoying it was that people let their dogs do their business so close to the shelter, when another hiker mentioned that it wasn't dog crap but rather bear crap. So, after finding this out, another section hiker, Zero, mentioned that Bearfoot would be a much more appropriate name for me, rather than Mr. Clean. So, the name stuck.

Lilred
11-27-2004, 11:39
Earlier this summer, I let Miss Janet give me a trail name. She chose "Mr. Clean" because of the line of work I'm in (I sell janitorial supplies). Well, it was o.k., but last week on my hike in Georgia, I was renamed at Low Gap Shelter. I came into the shelter after dark...the last one arriving. It was starting to rain. I was downright exhausted, having put in a 16 mile day as a section hiker. Well, everyone was in their sleeping bags and the shelter was full, so after sitting there at the picnic table for a few minutes, I finally decided I needed to pitch my tent. Before doing so, I just had to take my boots because my feet were aching. As I walked around barefooted in the dark, i suddenly felt a sticky, squishy feeling on my left foot, so then I spent another ten minutes trying to get this sticky smelly substance off my foot. I assumed it was dog crap. Well, after getting a good nights sleep, as everyone was eating breakfast, I mentioned how annoying it was that people let their dogs do their business so close to the shelter, when another hiker mentioned that it wasn't dog crap but rather bear crap. So, after finding this out, another section hiker, Zero, mentioned that Bearfoot would be a much more appropriate name for me, rather than Mr. Clean. So, the name stuck.

Maybe you should have been named 'Scatfoot'.

Youngblood
11-27-2004, 12:45
At least it wasn't a snake, or they might call you...

Happypappy
02-18-2005, 19:27
I happened upon my name from the eldest of my three granddaughters when she was about 5 years old. Around this area, grandparents are usually called nanny and pappy. One day I took Heather for a walk on an easy section of the AT, between rtes 501 and 645 trailheads ( easy terrain ) and while we were walking and talking about all the things that fascinate a 5 year old, she looked up at me and said, "Gee, you sure are a happy pappy today." I can think of no finer name to be called than that, and I have gone by that ever since.

Mother Nature
02-18-2005, 22:25
I have been hiking and backpacking all my life ( a very long time :D ). As a librarian, I always took a new book on the trail with me to read and got the name :Bookworm. Over the years I found several Bookworms and thought it was time I got a new name when I set out in 2004.

The library staff have had to listen to me talk about hiking and especially about the AT for years. Shortly before I retired from the library I was giving a training class and my supervisor walked over to someone giving me a hard time and said, "It's best not to mess with Mother Nature". The room turned quiet and everyone shouted out.. that's your new name.

I was offered "Lady Slipper" when it was discovered that I had arrived at Springer without any hiking boots wearing only my bedroom slippers! I live in GA thankfully. Had to drive home and retrieive the boots off the front porch.
I had promised friends to use Mother Nature so I stayed with it.

Mother Nature

TickPicker
05-21-2005, 14:38
Even though I've not hiked the AT yet (plans are for September GA section hike.), I just did 20 miles or so on the Florida Scenic Trail in Ocala National Forest this past week on an overnite to try out gear. My partner on the trip gave me my name....seems I was joined by at least 30 of the little rascals during the two day jaunt. Had to schedule tick checks..........:bse Can you change your trailname if you get a better one..............:eek:

TickPicker

Catsgoing
05-24-2005, 09:32
Of course you can change your trailname.... Neo is Recon in the past...... I know a few that have changed names.

I like TickPicker those little rascals are horrible. I think you have to work up to a real stink and maybe they will leave us alone.

Or they like our thin blood from living in Florida. The Snowbirds blood is thick!

The people I met up with who are from Tn. Didn't have any trouble with those rascals.

Rascalbgn there is a name.... Anyhow I got 100 % Deet which I hate to put that posin on me yuk...... Maybe September is a good time to go up there.

Not sure if I can wait... Hate the summer heat.

roadie
05-24-2005, 17:14
i got my trail name at Trail Days 03 (before i even started my Va-Ny section that summer). I was rolling into Damascus for my 1st TD (my friend Mule, an AT veteran, told me it would be a good time)in my Blazer, and came across some hikers with their thumbs out. i'd never picked up hitch hikers but felt ok about it this time. it was 03 hikers Sidewinder, P-Nut, Groovy, and Big Bird. they even had to tell me how to get to the campsite.

when we got there, i couldn't find my friend Mule, so Sidewinder took me around introducing me to everyone and gave me my first Yuengling. he finally asks me, "so what are you doing here? why do you have a truck, aren't you hiking?" i said no, i was just up for the weekend, to which he replied with a grin, "oh, so you're a tourist. a "roadie". he continued to introduce me as Roadie and another hiker even presented me with a beer cup decorated with a truck and the name Roadie written on it. it stuck the entire weekend. Later in June when i began my hike from Damascus, i ran into Sidewinder on the Trail. he did a double take and said," Roadie?!?!? you're hiking now? Awesome!!!" so i figured i would go ahead and keep this name. it seemed to stick. and its quite appropriate considering i am sorta known for my yellow blazing abilities.:p
roadie

roadie
05-24-2005, 17:17
i forgot...."no, i will not carry your stuff.":p

Jester2000
06-16-2005, 22:33
. . .but you'll carry my stuff, right?

fiddlehead
06-16-2005, 22:46
Does anyone remember a hiker in '95 who changed his name 3 times (as far as i know) from 1st: "Snorasorous", to 2nd: "Jesus Christ and if you don't like it f***k off" to 3rd and final: "Jerry's Dead and I don't care" (this was when Jerry Garcia died). Just wondering if anyone remembers this clown and maybe (possibly) he's one of the wankers on whiteblaze now?

yellowtree
06-18-2005, 23:43
I believe I will wait for my trail name to come to me. I like the "zen" idea better. I had been back and forth with some ideas, and methods for devising a "trail identity", and that included naming myself. However it feels more natural to take a name from a stranger or group of them while "on the trail", where a situation may arise, that would be appropriate to name me.

thanks for the insight

Jester2000
06-19-2005, 03:30
Absolutely right, I think. Right up until your name ends up being "Butt Feather," or some equally ridiculous moniker based on an event you'd really rather forget.

But then again, those are the stories the rest of us like to tell best.

yellowtree
06-19-2005, 11:04
Absolutely right, I think. Right up until your name ends up being "Butt Feather," or some equally ridiculous moniker based on an event you'd really rather forget.

But then again, those are the stories the rest of us like to tell best.

He said BUTT!

LIhikers
07-16-2005, 12:11
...fallsdownalot. I was hiking with a friend and wanted to get a photo of a stream. I thought the best shot would be from some rocks out in the middle and started to hop from rock to rock in an effort to keep my feet dry. I slipped during one of the jumps and wound up falling into the stream. I got soaking wet, a great photo of the sky as I held my camera up to keep it from getting wet, and I also got my trail name of fallsdownalot. You see, this wasn't the first fall I'd taken in front of my friend.

Nean
07-16-2005, 23:35
I hate to destroy the illusion, but no trail name sticks unless YOU choose it.

Sly
07-16-2005, 23:51
Does anyone remember a hiker in '95 who changed his name 3 times (as far as i know) from 1st: "Snorasorous", to 2nd: "Jesus Christ and if you don't like it f***k off" to 3rd and final: "Jerry's Dead and I don't care" (this was when Jerry Garcia died). Just wondering if anyone remembers this clown and maybe (possibly) he's one of the wankers on whiteblaze now?

I know a Snorasorous, friend of the Professor, but I don't believe he's a wanker here! :D

Actually those two did a remarkably funny stunt in '97 seeing another bud off at Springer. (the friend, later a hiking partner of mine, was in on it)

The Prof hiked up with a tiny day pack, Snore with an incredibly large external AND a suit bag. Sitting with the others just starting their thru-hikes, Prof explained how he had everything he needed and a 100 food caches along the way. A fresh green salad at Gooch Gap!

Snore, with his humongous pack AND suit bag explained how he always attended church on Sundays and needed a suit, clean clothes, etc along with carrying a bunch of other neededless things.

I understand they kept the charade going for awhile before they opened their packs and produced a case of beer and a couple pizzas for all the new thrus! :jump

Kayak_this
10-07-2005, 13:12
Question, I have been section hiking and i have been given a different trail name each time I go out. there are ones that have definetly found me, Creek crawler, for my ablity of crossing about any size creek on all four. "artic wolf' for my ability of some how making threw the coldest snow with only a bivy sack.. then there are names that follow me from other activities that i enjoy and i run into people on the trail that I have seen doing these other activities.

how do you get just one to stick.. I perfer creek crawler..

Alligator
10-07-2005, 13:24
Question, I have been section hiking and i have been given a different trail name each time I go out. there are ones that have definetly found me, Creek crawler, for my ablity of crossing about any size creek on all four. "artic wolf' for my ability of some how making threw the coldest snow with only a bivy sack.. then there are names that follow me from other activities that i enjoy and i run into people on the trail that I have seen doing these other activities.

how do you get just one to stick.. I perfer creek crawler..You say you already have one "creek crawler". If someone asks you introduce yourself as "creek crawler". You sign up for WB.net as "creek crawler".

weary
10-07-2005, 13:54
Well, "Weary" stems from my 1991 walk through Maine with a 9-year-old grandson.

He was fascinated by the idea of trail names and asked every thru hiker he met during our 270-mile walk to Katahdin to give him one. Finally, a hiker suggested "Weary Wanderer." Since Jon had difficulty reading and writing, I took to signing the registers, "The Weary Wanderers."

I became simply "the Weary Wanderer" two years later when I started north from Georgia. That quickly got abreviated to simply "Weary."

Almost There
10-07-2005, 14:22
Professor was given to me by students, however, my new name as of 3/18/2005 is "Almost There". Was given to me by No Worries as I have a habit of saying this when there is still some distance to go. It started when another section hiker was traveling with us and we were almost to Hawk Mountain. I told them it should be about 5 more minutes and that we're almost there. Ten minutes later, I'm out of sight and the section hiker says to Worries, " What does he mean by "Almost There?" Worries tells him I say it all the time, and that night at Gooch Shelter my new name was born. Gotta Love it!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-07-2005, 14:31
Our trail name is a combo of what we we were called as a nickname pre-trail, something we called ourselves on the trail and other hikers naming us.

When we started section hiking and talked with other hikers, they often asked about our trail name. I'd explain we didn't have one - we were just a couple of happy dinosaurs frolicking down the trail. It wasn't long before people started asking if we were the the Frolicking Dinosaurs they'd heard were on the trail. The name Dinosuars was given to us by our grandkids.

A few folks have taken to calling me the Wounded Dinosaur since I've been back out on the trail with two canes (recovering from a broken hip and femur - not from the trail - was hit head-on by a drugged driver last August)

Seeker
10-07-2005, 15:17
Well, I should contribute to this thread, since it is interesting to see how everybody obtained there trail name. Mine is also Little Bear but to distinguish it from the other (s), I just stick a #2 at the end when I sign. Mine was self appointed back in 99 when I was doing a section of the AT in Mass. solo. I was about 3 miles from my car on my last day out in the Beartown State Forest area, and I was kind of bumming because I hadn't see any black bears. I had stopped for a quick lunch in the middle of the trail and a little drizzle was falling, which made the woods seem quiet and mysterious. I thought to myself, almost too quiet. Anyway, I started day-dreaming and then I heard a very soft noise. I turn around and low and behold not one but two bears coming up from a ravine feeding on grubs! I was about 30 yards away. I'm surprized they didn't smell me. Anycase, I made them aware I was there and the smaller one took off a little ways, but the larger one didn't budge and proceeded to stare me down, so I packed up and took off carefully...all the while looking back to see if it was following me. So that's how I got my trail name....I took off just like the little bear. Hey, what do you want? First time encounter with black bears very up close. I think I s--t my pants! Happy Trails! Little Bear 2
that's not self appointed, in my opinion. that's magic...

Joey
10-07-2005, 15:24
I just recently was "assigned" a new name by some of my hiking friends in light of my recent injury. PEG LEG:banana

squirrel bait
10-07-2005, 15:26
After reading Frolicking Dinosaurs post I remembered this:
Some trails are happy ones,
others are blue
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

One of the verses of Happy Trails.

Seeker
10-07-2005, 15:55
mine is sort of self appointed...

short life story here... raised roman catholic, school and all. good grades, scholarship, commissioned a 2LT at the ripe old age of 19, joined the army, got to do a lot of things, and saw a lot of the world. everything was perfect, and i was superman. saw some things in the army that got me thinking about my religion/spirituality, and my concepts of right/wrong and fairness. saw more things in somalia that really challanged my faith, reinforced by my short time in haiti. couldn't deal with the changes in the army caused by the fall of the berlin wall, so i got out in 1995 and opened my own business. ran fine until 1999-2001... very tough years, huge business losses. i was no longer superman. i could fail. and fail i did. lost everything, including my life's fortune, but gained a large debt....was unemployed for 8 months (right after 9/11, and no one was hiring). did manage to keep my family together through it all though. my interpretation of my catholic faith (and i've since learned that others actually find more in it than i did), based on ritual, prayer, diet, and strict rules and hierarchy, was completely useless to me during that time... i've always had a philosophical streak, and after hitting the bottom, i started back up. this time, i took a different path, still christian based, but with more emphasis on a personal relationship with god, vs my former preoccupation with 'religion'. yup... that's god with a small 'g'. he's my friend now, and we talk a lot more than we used to, one on one... i like it better this way. still not sure what it is i'm 'seeking', but i know where to look now... guess i've always known... in the woods... better than church to me.

in 2001, right toward the end of my business failing, i had a guy come up to me on clingmans dome... i was on the AT, having just walked up from the parking lot there, on my way to double springs, i think, just at the junction with the done trail. he said he felt something weird as i went by, like i needed a prayer... asked me to wait, went back and got his wife and another couple, and they prayed with me... really spooky... all i know is he was a youth minister from MI, down to visit his relatives in TN... something pushed us together that day... god? karma?

and another one... a few weeks after i moved here to start my new job, in the spring/summer of 2002, i was at a bible study for the first time in a long time... (i'd quit going to church a few years before, and still don't go much... find more value in a bible study group, talking with a small group of people about what it all means, vs being lectured.) a man who later became a close friend came up to me afterwards and said he didn't know why, but he felt compelled to tell me that he knew i was looking for something, and that he hoped i'd find it there, in that group... we still talk about it... still gives me chills... he calls it the holy spirit... i don't know what to call it. but i've learned the labels don't matter... we both know what happened... i just can't define it... and that lack of definition doesn't matter anymore... i'm a lot less preoccupied with formal religion and money, more worried about just helping people...

sorry for the length of this post, and thanks if you read all the way down...

but that's why i call myself seeker...

MoBeach42
10-08-2005, 21:31
I don't think anyone ever really tried to give me a trial name. Thinking about it now, I really never felt much pressure to assume one. Huh.
Anyway, here are some thoughts taken from my trailjournal from 10/18/05:

Today was a wonderful day for me today. I spent this afternoon baking bread, and cleaning the kitchen and dinning room. And I got a phone call. I got a phone call from someone named Melissa. Her and her friend Eric were in town and wanted to visit me.

But who are Melissa and Eric?

It turns out I know these people. You may know them too. Their names are ACTUALLY Free Spirit and Pacer. I've known Free Spirit since the William Penn shelter in Pennsylvania. And I've known Pacer since my first day southbounding it through Maryland.

Now, I chose not to take a trail name. And I am now more glad than ever that I didn't take one. Thanks to Dejavu for the note about this in my guestbook. I don't feel that I've missed any part of the Trail Experince because I haven't taken another name. Because really when you assume a new name you are assuming a new identity. It is either a lack of want to a) identify with who you are in the 'real world' when your on the trail or b) identify with who you are on the trail when you're in the 'real world'. Somewhere in there the openness and honesty required of living a life as a whole and with integrity breaks down. Maybe not consciously. I'm not saying that most people are eager to shed their real name to decieve anyone. But perhaps there's an element of the escapeism that I wrote about earlier present.

I am Jay. I'm Jay on the trail, I'm Jay off the trail. I'm Jay to my parents, and I'm Jay to my teachers. I am occasionally, I must admit, Jonathan to my Grandparents and a certain politcal economy teacher when she is cross with me.

It was a little wierd dealing with names today. It was hard to bring myself to use 'Melissa' and 'Eric'. I mean, that's not who you told me you were when I met you. Are you something else now? Have you changed so much that you're called something else now? Was there a part of you that you were hiding from me when we were on the trail? Were you decieving me when you introduced yourself to me? Where did I go wrong and missunderstand?

I think you probably get the point by now, but I don't understand trail names. Guess I never will. Call me a simpleton, that's fine.

Alligator
10-08-2005, 21:52
So why are you Mobeach42 here:-? ?

Kerosene
10-08-2005, 23:32
Frankly, I find that most trail names are much more memorable than our given names!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-09-2005, 05:36
Seeker - what a wonderful story.

Squirrel Bait - thanks for sharing some of the lyrics. I haven't heard the song in a long, long time -- since Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were on the old black and white TV. The TV was about half the size of a normal fridge today with a screen that was about the size of the 13" TV's of today - and it had rabbit ears.

MoBeach42
10-09-2005, 08:39
So why are you Mobeach42 here:-? ?
yes I know... I actually have considered changing accounts. ::sigh:: But the truth is is that years ago "JAY" was already taken on Instant Messanger (I know, much to my supprise) so this "MoBeach42" has been my internet log-in for lots of things since. Sorry for the hypocricy.

Big Dawg
10-09-2005, 09:17
yes I know... I actually have considered changing accounts. ::sigh:: .

No need to change accounts on Whiteblaze,, just ask AT Troll or SGT Rock, the WB administrators, to change your WB user id name. Look at bottom of page for "contact us" :D

Big Dawg
10-09-2005, 09:32
Because really when you assume a new name you are assuming a new identity. It is either a lack of want to a) identify with who you are in the 'real world' when your on the trail or b) identify with who you are on the trail when you're in the 'real world'. Somewhere in there the openness and honesty required of living a life as a whole and with integrity breaks down. Maybe not consciously. I'm not saying that most people are eager to shed their real name to decieve anyone. But perhaps there's an element of the escapeism that I wrote about earlier present.

I am Jay. I'm Jay on the trail, I'm Jay off the trail. I'm Jay to my parents, and I'm Jay to my teachers. I am occasionally, I must admit, Jonathan to my Grandparents and a certain politcal economy teacher when she is cross with me.
I respect your thoughts about this issue, Jay, or MoBeach42, or Jonathan. But in my experience, a lot of people have a trail name because of option "C", that you didn't mention,,,, which is,,, just for the fun of it. :D

Happy trails,
Big Dawg, James, Kelly,,,,, take your pick,,, doesn't matter to me, cause I'm all 1 in the same. :jump (I'm James Kelly Almon, Jr.,,, I'm BIG,,, I have-(2 yellow labs) & love dogs-----& am "leader of my pack") It's all good!!!!!

Red Hat
10-09-2005, 16:21
My son and I started hiking the trails in the Smokies about 6 years ago. My real name is James Deane and his is is the Same :)

So one day we introduced our selves as The James Deanes and a Thru Hiker said, Wow, The Rebels without a Cause ! My son replied: No we are the Rebels, WITH a Cause !! because we want to do a thruhike. For several years we used that as a combo trail name.

When I started planning for my 2002 thruhike, my son said to use Rebel, with a Cause !! for my self and at Trail Days he started being called: Lil Reb.

And thats how it is to this day.

I was just reading this thread and came upon your entry. Since I hiked with your son a bit this year, I know that he is no longer "Lil Reb", but "Captain Chaos". I really enjoyed him this year. What a great sense of humor. Say hi. Red Hat

frieden
10-09-2005, 21:08
Mine was self appointed. Don't know if it will stick.

Frieden is German for "peace". I chose this as my trail name, because that's what I'm looking for. I doubt I'll find external peace in my lifetime, so I'm looking for inner peace. However, I've been able to find it in many unlikely places. I was sitting in rush hour traffic, with everyone going nowhere really fast, and I looked up to the most beautiful sunset I think I have ever seen. At that moment, I found peace. No matter what is going on, Ed and I can sit in the back yard and find it - listening to the wind through the leaves, watching the squirrels and birds munch the seed on the deck... It is so peaceful, even though there are sirens and "city noise" going on in the background. I've found peace in God, knowing he will never leave me. I hope that after a really hard, rainy day on the AT, I can still find peace in the sound of the rain, the comfort of the tent, and the freedom that it gives me. I would like to be able to find it in all things. That's my "goal", for lack of a better term, so that's what I picked as a name.

Footslogger
10-09-2005, 21:45
It didn't find me ...I found it. Did a search on the words "hiking", "walking", "marching" and the name/word "FOOTSLOGGER" kept showing up. Decided to search on FOOTSLOGGER and found out that it dated back to medevil times and was used to describe the foot soldier or infantryman. In the Austrailian dictionary a "Footslogg" is a long hard hike.

Anyway ...I'm an old airborne infantryman (US ARMY - 1969 - 1971) so the name fit me well.

FOOTSLOGGER'S the name and hiking is my game !! Most everyone who hiked with me in 2003 just calls me "Slogger" though.

joshcampfield
10-09-2005, 22:24
I have two trail names - depends on my mood. Because I love politics and will be the first one to get into a good debate, sometimes I'm Novanglus, which was John Adams' nom de guerre when writing riot-inciting pamphlets during the American Revolution. And sometimes, when I'm in a more environmental, socially conscious mood, I'm Nunahi, which is Cherokee and literally means "trail walker".

My dad's Stray Dawg (notice the aw in dawg)...I have no idea why he picked it but I do know he himself chose it...no one conferred it upon him.

We're the only two that hike in the family, I'm 15 and hoping to thru hike with my dad when I graduate from high school. He was the president of the Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club in PA for four years but my dad, alas, has never thru-hiked.

--josh

Old Spice
10-11-2005, 21:57
I am going under the name "Old Spice". I like the way it smells. Screw letting someone else name me. Yeah... Old Spice Classic Scent. :banana

Fiddler
11-08-2005, 13:59
I am the Fiddler. I played a fiddle from my teen years till I got my hands frost-bit about fifteen years later, since then I can't use the fingers good enough. I was known as the Fiddler. If you don't know the difference between a violin and a fiddle, listen to some classic music, then listen to some bluegrass. I had one of the first C-B radios when they first came out (maybe 45 years ago) and I became Fiddler to all who knew me on the airwaves. As long as I've been Fiddler somebody gonna change my name? I don't know about that.

briarpatch
11-08-2005, 17:20
I refuse to say anything other than "It looked like a shortcut on the map".

Sardine
11-21-2005, 12:24
Rudyard's a good enough authority for me!
and his contemporary Capt. Sir Richard Francis Burton . . .

Bjorkin
11-21-2005, 17:09
The thought of a trail name to one who has never hiked the AT or any long trail seems... how can I say this? Dorky. It conjures up images of Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games. But, I guess in a sense we are playing a role. Perhaps the way we'd like to be seen.

Anyway, I love hiking and the idea of the AT very much but when I heard of trail names I just kinda rolled my eyes and thought, "Man, why did they have to go and dork it up? Hiking 2,100 miles thru the forest is plenty cool enough without needing to be the 'gatekeeper'."

I now realize that this will be something that just happens and not something you actively seek out. I'm sure it's something the dedicated hikers can really appreciate which others can't understand until you just do it. I certainly know for myself, thinking about hiking, no matter how much I love it, never feels as good as actually doing it so I'm hoping once on my long thru hike, my adversion to trail names will melt away with the miles.

Kerosene
11-21-2005, 17:24
I'm sure that dorkiness is part of it, but I've found that it's just a whole lot easier to remember some of the more unique trail names than it is their given names!

Seeker
11-21-2005, 17:49
The thought of a trail name to one who has never hiked the AT or any long trail seems... how can I say this? Dorky. It conjures up images of Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games. But, I guess in a sense we are playing a role. Perhaps the way we'd like to be seen.

Anyway, I love hiking and the idea of the AT very much but when I heard of trail names I just kinda rolled my eyes and thought, "Man, why did they have to go and dork it up? Hiking 2,100 miles thru the forest is plenty cool enough without needing to be the 'gatekeeper'."

I now realize that this will be something that just happens and not something you actively seek out. I'm sure it's something the dedicated hikers can really appreciate which others can't understand until you just do it. I certainly know for myself, thinking about hiking, no matter how much I love it, never feels as good as actually doing it so I'm hoping once on my long thru hike, my adversion to trail names will melt away with the miles.
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/philosophy/broken.htm

Alligator
11-21-2005, 18:15
That was a cool article Seeker. We frequently asked our son, who is still a toddler, "What is your name?" He used to say the same thing, something I could never quite pronounce correctly. But it always sounded the same when he said it. I think he had a name for himself, and it was totally different than his given name. He now uses his given name, wish I could have learned to say the other one.

"BATH" is also pretty high on the list too.

swift
11-21-2005, 18:27
S.W.I.F.T. is an acronym. It stands for "**** what'd I forget today?" I think its pretty obvious how you get a name like that...in fact I just saw my cigar container I lost in Maine, posted as a picture here a few days ago. too funny.

Bjorkin
11-21-2005, 18:42
That is a great article and I appreciate it Seeker. It mirrors I guess exactly what I was thinking though should have made clearer. In my head (aka culturally biased brian) the idea puts me off but in reality when you drop all those preconceived ideas at the trail head things, hopefully, change and you can become you, again.

I certainly know when I travel to other lands and adapt to a given culture it allows me to drop all my hangups and see things thru a childs eye. I appreciate the reminder. :)

Seeker
11-22-2005, 16:08
i had a name once too, as a kid... i ran loose every day after school with a slingshot, knife, cord, and a magnifying glass, all in a little canvas bag my mom had made for me... i knew every rock, tree, animal, and plant for a few square miles behind the house... and i always felt they knew me... somewhere along the way, i 'grew up' and stopped listening... (army emphasis on 'logic' i guess). that's probably part of what i'm looking for again... each time i go back to the woods, i hear 'it'... whatever 'it' is that talks to me out there, louder and louder... eventually, i'll get 'it' back...until then, i 'seek'...

fishinfred
02-24-2006, 12:03
Great Thread here!
Fishinfred is a 'REAL' name .....well it was to my friends daughter from the time she could talk until she was about 6 when she came up to me one day and said "Fishinfred I know what your real name is" and I told her just keep calling me Fishinfred honey I've gotten used to it.In 03 when I my feet first touched the trail and I met my first Thru hiker and he asked if I had one "luckily" I said 'they call me Fishinfred' ,which he replied Oh I would name you 'He who walks heavy' as I had an old (70s) external frame pack LOADED with 10 days of food and a very sore foot (which I broke the night before horseing around with my nephew) ....only 51 miles that year.Good thing my friends daughter named me or my Biz name would be He who walks heavy Designs.....lol
Last year I wanted to be just a Thru Hiker (and not Fishinfred the guy who makes hiker stuff) so "The Foth" came to be .It was a name givin to me by "The Walrus & The Eggman"
Fool on the Hill

uncas
03-01-2006, 23:22
Hello, my trailname has grown over from my email name. Years ago my ISP told me not to bother with famous literary figures or movie roles, etc. because they were already taken. I considered that a challenge.

Uncas hit on the first try. So much more manageable than Chingagook.

Love, peace and chicken grease.

Trooper347
03-01-2006, 23:48
After hearing "Hey Troop, Drop and give me twenty!" many times in basic, then for years after being called "Trooper" by any and all higher rank soldier than myself (and calling lower ranked ones the same), I responded to it more often than my own name. Some names seem to fit people it seems, and some are too funny..."Two Dogs F****ng" is one I have seen posted, and I could'nt stop laughing!!!

sdoownek
03-26-2006, 21:26
I carry a set of Dog Tags on my pack. Why?
I really don't have an answer for that.
Perhaps when I was 19 and did my first thru, I thought it would be cool? My mother liked it, that's for sure. She was convinced that I was going to end up dead and they would need to dog tags to figure out who I was.

I wish I had a better story to go along with it, but it just evolved from "....you know, that guy that has dog tags on his pack...."

Over time, this name has been through several variations.
Dog Tag morphs into "DT", pronounced "Deetee", which is much better. "Deetee" slurred is "Deet", which has nothing to do with N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide, BTW.

So, Dogtag, or Deet. I'll sign and answer to both.

Felon
03-26-2006, 21:31
The story behind mine is easy--I'm a convicted felon.

hobbit
03-27-2006, 09:30
mines pretty easy too i have curly longish hair, go bare-foot at camp and cook good meals

mambo_tango
03-28-2006, 00:59
I named myself and I got it from the movie "Motorcycle Diaries".

Mountain Man
03-28-2006, 01:33
Over the years I've been called Grizzly Adams or Mountain Man because of my looks and I usually tried to play it off. But a couple of years ago while working as a Counselor for a Adventure based Theaputic wilderness camp where I led Backpacking trips they started nick naming me again and I got stuck with "Mountain Man". But on my upcoming Thru hike I'll just play it by ear and try to let the other hikers name me. But because of my looks it's just hard to get away from Mountain Man.

Thor
03-29-2006, 23:45

What's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons!? :mad:

My trail name was inadvertantly given. One of those things where someone says something and it just clicks for you.

I was hiking on Old Rag Mountain in the SNP at the time, and noticed that there were a ton of fuzzy two-toned caterpillars all over the place. Now folklore has it that you can predict the severity of the coming winter by comparing the sizes of the colored bands on these insects. On a whim I decided that I would take a photo of every one of these little critters I came across, save them, and see how accurate they were.

Also on the trail that day, doing the same 7 mile loop as I, were a pair of men who had a very similar hiking style as I do (IE: Kinda slow). We were all day passing each other in a great ponderous game of leapfrog. After a time they expressed some confusion as to why I seemed to be taking pictures of the ground. Thinking very highly of my project, I explained in detail my plan to predict the future by studying the coloration of hairy bugs. They took this news in stride and our hikes went on with little additional conversation between us.

Coming down the backside of the Old Ragged Mountain our paces had stopped leapfrogging and more or less matched up. They were hiking about a hundred yards behind me. The backside of Old Rag is a long spiralling descent, and once you get past the knee-straining elevation drops it levels out into a well-graded fire road that encourages one to turn off their mind and let their legs eat up the miles. So it was, in my hiker's fugue, that one small Isia isabella escaped my notice. Fortunately, though, my fellow hikers were more on the ball than I.

"Hey Mister Woolly Bear!" one shouted, "You missed one!"

PS: The woolly bears were spot-on. Short black stripes, short mild winter.

Wohelo
04-18-2006, 12:40
My name right now is self-appointed, but perhaps a new name will find me when I get on the trail in '07...

The name "Wohelo" comes from my days as a CampFire girl. My first experiences in the woods began at the age of 5 with this group. I learned a lot about myself and the world.

"Wohelo" is the moniker that means achievement, it is literally the combination of "Work + Health + Love."

That combination is what I think hiking the trail is all about!

Mags
04-18-2006, 13:37
What's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons!? :mad:

It's EVIL! :D

If you want to read (IMO) a funny piece on D&D go to:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

I do not think Jack Chick would agree with my assesment of his tracts being funny, though. ;)

BooBoo
04-19-2006, 14:23
My dad gave Yogi and I our Trailnames while we were on the way to The Approach Trail.

Disney
04-19-2006, 14:36
I named myself and I got it from the movie "Motorcycle Diaries".

Maybe this is just ignorant on my part, but I thought it referred to the two dances, the mambo and the tango.

Disney
04-19-2006, 14:43
My full trail name is LK Disney. The Disney comes from the fact that I had some Disney songs when I brought all my Mp3's out with me.

the LK is more interesting.

I slipped off into the woods to show a local girl on her first hike how we hang food in the woods. We came back about 2 hours later. The guys I was hiking with said that they could judge what kind of a kisser I was by how much trail magic she left at the next road.

We got nothing, so I became LOUSY KISSER DISNEY.

Seeker
04-19-2006, 17:55

I do not think Jack Chick would agree with my assesment of his tracts being funny, though. ;)

that is funny... completely left out the part in the NT where Simon (a priest in the temple) had been told by a seer that he wouldn't die before seeing the messiah. or that three astrologers (using astrology no less!) figured out that Jesus was to be born, in judea, and was to be a king...

ftr, i'm a christian. but this was my last word on the post.

jazilla
04-20-2006, 12:13
I don't have a trail name yet but some day. Till then I will use my screen name as my screen name.

Amigi'sLastStand
05-29-2006, 12:59
Mine is not a trail name so much, as nickname that has followed me. I tell most ppl that it is Latin for 'friend', like amigo in spanish. It's not. I am usually very friendly with folks, so they by it. But the truth is .... ladies, look away ... the prostitutes in front of every brothel of every city near every military installation in every country in the world always say, "Are you GI?" as you pass by. As I have never stopped, of course, we would just say, "Am I GI?", with a questioning finger pointed to our chests, and keep walking, ehhem.
Well, one drunken night back on base turned into a charade of the girls, and I was so drunk I kept slathering "AmIGI". Hence, Amigi. A-me-gee, "g" as in "get".

Amigi'sLastStand
05-29-2006, 13:11
mine is sort of self appointed...

short life story here... raised roman catholic, school and all. good grades, scholarship, commissioned a 2LT at the ripe old age of 19, joined the army, got to do a lot of things, and saw a lot of the world. everything was perfect, and i was superman. saw some things in the army that got me thinking about my religion/spirituality, and my concepts of right/wrong and fairness. saw more things in somalia that really challanged my faith, reinforced by my short time in haiti. couldn't deal with the changes in the army caused by the fall of the berlin wall, so i got out in 1995 and opened my own business. ran fine until 1999-2001... very tough years, huge business losses. i was no longer superman. i could fail. and fail i did. lost everything, including my life's fortune, but gained a large debt....was unemployed for 8 months (right after 9/11, and no one was hiring). did manage to keep my family together through it all though. my interpretation of my catholic faith (and i've since learned that others actually find more in it than i did), based on ritual, prayer, diet, and strict rules and hierarchy, was completely useless to me during that time... i've always had a philosophical streak, and after hitting the bottom, i started back up. this time, i took a different path, still christian based, but with more emphasis on a personal relationship with god, vs my former preoccupation with 'religion'. yup... that's god with a small 'g'. he's my friend now, and we talk a lot more than we used to, one on one... i like it better this way. still not sure what it is i'm 'seeking', but i know where to look now... guess i've always known... in the woods... better than church to me.

in 2001, right toward the end of my business failing, i had a guy come up to me on clingmans dome... i was on the AT, having just walked up from the parking lot there, on my way to double springs, i think, just at the junction with the done trail. he said he felt something weird as i went by, like i needed a prayer... asked me to wait, went back and got his wife and another couple, and they prayed with me... really spooky... all i know is he was a youth minister from MI, down to visit his relatives in TN... something pushed us together that day... god? karma?

and another one... a few weeks after i moved here to start my new job, in the spring/summer of 2002, i was at a bible study for the first time in a long time... (i'd quit going to church a few years before, and still don't go much... find more value in a bible study group, talking with a small group of people about what it all means, vs being lectured.) a man who later became a close friend came up to me afterwards and said he didn't know why, but he felt compelled to tell me that he knew i was looking for something, and that he hoped i'd find it there, in that group... we still talk about it... still gives me chills... he calls it the holy spirit... i don't know what to call it. but i've learned the labels don't matter... we both know what happened... i just can't define it... and that lack of definition doesn't matter anymore... i'm a lot less preoccupied with formal religion and money, more worried about just helping people...

sorry for the length of this post, and thanks if you read all the way down...

but that's why i call myself seeker...

Dang, man. Wanna talk spooky, you could sustitute the events and places in your life with mine. Catholic, school, military, small 'g', friend, talk not preach, 'feel like you need a prayer' from stanger, the whole nine yards and back again. Wow. I can hardly type, I'm shaking so bad.

Ridge
06-11-2006, 01:28
Check out a very funny occurance on why this guy got the trailname "WrongWay"

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=140946

Kerby
06-20-2006, 19:16
Hi there on an all! I'm a newby hear and have just loved this thread! I dont have a trail name yet, I hope to through hike next year (for the last 20 years I have hoped to hike it "next year").

Love all your stories!

Marta
06-20-2006, 19:35
Last Sunday I was going out for a day hike. I was, as almost always these days, thinking about my imminent SOBO attempt. I leaned down to tie my shoes and saw a funny-looking clover. I thought it was a four-leafed clover but in fact it was a FIVE-leafed clover. It's now laminated in plastic and will be going with me on my hike. I haven't felt the need of a trail name, since my first name is unusual enough to stand on its own. I figured if something special happened on The Hike, a name would come out of it. But now I am adopting the name and symbol "Five-Leafed Clover."

Is that weird enough? Finding the clover was spooky. I felt very lucky.

Alligator
06-21-2006, 08:44
...But now I am adopting the name and symbol "Five-Leafed Clover."
Or "Fiver" if you wanted something shorter. Have you ever read Watership Down?

Just Jeff
06-21-2006, 11:27

Haha - they left out the lesbian scene! Everybody knows (hopes) that hot chicks playing D&D are lesbians!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-21-2006, 12:58
... a funny piece on D&D http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.aspHilarious, in fact the whole site is hilarious.

Mags
06-21-2006, 13:25
Haha - they left out the lesbian scene! Everybody knows (hopes) that hot chicks playing D&D are lesbians!
The main evil thing about D&D is that if you are more than 14 years old and playing it you just may end up in your parents basement at 35 yo and hoping the aforrmentioned hot chicks. show up in your parent's basement ;-)

See COMIC BOOK GUY from the Simpsons:
http://cbg.nohomers.net/

(Of course, I am a 32 yo guy about to be homeless, jobless and showering once a week. Is there a big difference between me and the CBG other than muscular legs? :D)

the goat
06-21-2006, 13:34
(Of course, I am a 32 yo guy about to be homeless, jobless and showering once a week. Is there a big difference between me and the CBG other than muscular legs? :D)

where are you hiking?

Mags
06-21-2006, 14:13
where are you hiking?

CDT. Should be at Glacier National Park on July 1st. Woo hoo!

bfitz
06-21-2006, 15:41
The main evil thing about D&D is that if you are more than 14 years old and playing it you just may end up in your parents basement at 35 yo and hoping the aforrmentioned hot chicks. show up in your parent's basement ;-)

See COMIC BOOK GUY from the Simpsons:
http://cbg.nohomers.net/

Crap, I played D&D last weekend...IN MY MOM'S BASEMENT...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Just Jeff
06-21-2006, 17:40
Hey bfitz - maybe we could hook up a chat so I could teleport my wizard to your group. All the players around here are dorks. Oh wait.... :eek:

Michele
06-21-2006, 18:20
So for my own personal situation, I have to agree w/the Zen approach to a getting your trail name. To me, it will be the one thing that continues to connect me to the AT long after I've had to re-insert myself back into society (that's if I can make myself join the "club" again). Granted I fully expect to make life-long friends too, but my trailname will be tatooed on my body upon the completion of my hike (I know...I'm pretty optimistic huh?).

It's exciting for me to think that there is some person out there right now...maybe we've chatted here...maybe not, that will be part of that rite of passage. I will say, however, that each person must get her/his name in whatever way makes the most sense to them, so if that means they choose it for themselves, then that is ok too!

bfitz
06-22-2006, 01:06
Granted I fully expect to make life-long friends too, but my trailname will be tatooed on my body upon the completion of my hike (I know...I'm pretty optimistic huh?).
Having a trailname that you'd want as a tattoo...?? Yeah, that's pretty optomistic....

Wonder
06-22-2006, 01:41
I took a day hike to the Pinnicle in PA. My first hike after a bone transplant(OATS Procedure, before anyone asks) I'd been off crutches for 4 weeks after a 6 1/2 month stint. I met a thru-hiker up there, and he asked me about my sign. We shared stories and I told him of my plans to hike. He said that it's a wonder my foot even worked, so, from that day on I was Wonderfoot......then cut down to Wonder by my partner.

banjobill
06-23-2006, 09:56
When reporting to Parris Island for basic training, I exercized the unfortunate poor judgement to take my banjo with me. The outcome is not worth detailing -- but it was not a good omen.

During a college mechanical drawing class, the guy at the drawing board behind me at one point called out to me (several times). I had no idea who he was talking to, and did not respond. Eventually, the student next to me leaned over and said, "I think he's trying to tell you something." He was calling me Bill. He had noted my sign-off on all drawings was WMSchwenger, and assumed the WM was an abbreviation for Bill (rather than my first and second initials, which they are). I guess my trail name is an attempt to remind myself to pay attention to my environment, including both visual and audio indictors -- and written directives.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-23-2006, 10:54
Billville must send the above hiker a "Hike faster, I hear banjo music" T-shirt. Not to do so would cause a wrinkle in the fabric of the universe.

Fofer
06-23-2006, 15:52
My name isn't self apointed but at the same time I don't think of it as my trail name. It came from my Fiance (at that time girlfriend). My name is Christopher so she shortened it to topher then it ended up as Fofer. Some of the Guys at the Firehouse heared her call me it and they made fun of it for a bit but some of my friends still use it as a joke from time to time. I'm still looking for a real trail name.

My Fiance's name is Beaker, that is actually a good name because when she does a mock/joke boo hoo she sounds like Beaker from the Muppets.

If you meet us on the trail don't hesitate to come up with a new name for us.

Just Jeff
06-23-2006, 17:04
Heh - at my last job we heard a guy's wife call him Sweatpea. We still call him that...

K0OPG
06-23-2006, 17:59
BanjoBill...

"You gotta be sh----g me pyle". I cannot believe you showed up at parris island with a banjo. I bet the DI just loooved that. When did you go through? I was in 1stBn ACo Plt 1056, May 83-Aug 83.

Got CoopDog on recruiting duty by my boss. He was a great SNCOIC.

applesofgold
07-15-2006, 13:58
I received my name way before I had ever stepped foot on any trail. I received it from a group of close friends of mine and a verse from the Bible that reads "A word aptly spoken is like apple of gold in settings of silver." -Proverbs 25:11 My girlfriends all said that I always have the right thing to say to people when they need it. I don't know about that, you can be the judge.

Other hikers may try to give me another name down the road, but I think I'll be keeping this one.;)

Big Dawg
07-15-2006, 21:44
:welcome to Whiteblaze, Applesofgold!

Birddog
10-02-2006, 21:56
Mine is more of a nickname from the military that stuck. I was a Scout in the military and one night while on a patrol, I was completely LOST in the woods and stumbled on the objective QUITE ACCIDENTLY. I was a Private at the time and my Sergeant started calling me Bird Dog because I "could find anything" (Or so he thought). I told him the truth later (after I learned much more about map reading/land navigation and became proficient at the task). I went on to become a Staff Sergeant and he became my first sergeant at a different unit later down the line.

If a name finds me on the trail, I will go with it. Until then, I'm just Bird Dog.

BD

Big Dawg
10-02-2006, 22:15
Mine is more of a nickname from the military that stuck. I was a Scout in the military and one night while on a patrol, I was completely LOST in the woods and stumbled on the objective QUITE ACCIDENTLY. I was a Private at the time and my Sergeant started calling me Bird Dog because I "could find anything" (Or so he thought). I told him the truth later (after I learned much more about map reading/land navigation and became proficient at the task). I went on to become a Staff Sergeant and he became my first sergeant at a different unit later down the line.

If a name finds me on the trail, I will go with it. Until then, I'm just Bird Dog.

BD

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, neighbor!

Birddog
10-02-2006, 22:45
Im :banana to be here Big Dawg. BD

Birddog
10-02-2006, 22:46
Ive actually been on Rocks site for awhile and decided to get the best of both worlds. BD

The Weasel
10-05-2006, 17:26
Well, 'Dawg, seems to me you have a couple of choices about a trail name, once you get out there. First, you got baptized "Birddog" just exactly the way a trail name 'finds you'...someone noted something about you and hung it 'round your neck. THAT is how you get a trail name. So the first choice is to stick with that one.

Door Number Two, Monty, is to drop the name, and introduce yourself on the trail by saying, "Hi! I'm Ernest T. Bilko," or whatever your name is. That way, in a day or a month or so you'll pick up another trail name.

But the problem with starting off with a name of some kind, where ever it came from, is that it tends to inhibit other people from commenting on you in ways that they might think would be "replacing" a name that has real meaning for you. I think of myself as The Weasel, and it would be damned hard to accept anything else.

It seems to me your name already found you, and it's one you can (and should!) enjoy. The best ones come from friends, and yours sure did.

Ain't that right, Hacksaw?

- The Weasel

REBELYELL
12-02-2006, 20:02
Living in upstate NY with a southern drawl is just asking for numerous nicknames Usually it's just rebel.After a few paintballs found their mark on my poor old body in a for fun paint ball war The"Rebelyell"was whooped on a frontal assault(suisidal I may add)And REBELYELL just stuck.No real trail name yet.I'll just let it happen in March

little bear
12-02-2006, 23:23
Little Bear was given to me when I was about 5 by my father. He said I was always intrested in bears. Then when I joined Indian Guides while living in Kansas my father called me Little Bear at one of the meetings and it stuck with the troop. I know there are other people who have the samr trail name, but since I have had mine for about 20 years and my father gave it to me im going to stick with it.

Happy Hikes
Little Bear

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 14:50
I was rummaging through some old papers and ran across this piece I once wrote in response to the question of how I became "Hacksaw" so I thought I'd share it here.

It Was a cold and windy early April afternoon
back in '00 on that most northern section of the
Georgia AT between Dick's Creek Gap and The 'Carolina
Line up Bly Gap way and as I pulled in to that marvel
of marvels, the triple decker palace at Plum Orchard
(I know they write it as one word, but I'm here to
tell you it ain't) Gap, I felt the first tickle of a
sore throat commence that would plague me near 'bout
all the way to Nantyhalee (Work with me on the
spelling, folks, that's the way we say it down here).

Good folk was afore the fire that night and supper and
set was fine, save for a lacking of the spirits, for
we is all on our trek and, as we can most all atest,
pence make pounds and pounds weary the body a
travellin'.

Them that knows Smoky Mountain Steve, a fine and
decent soul and good companion in travel, can take me
to task afore him, and I vouchsafe he will bear me out
to true. Others afore the fire that night was the High
Plains Drifter up from Flordy, A Kindly nurse woman
down from Mary's Land, goes by the name of Bilbo,
another Flordy gent called 'Gator, some years my
senior, also a good companion in travel,
and two-three young ladies and several young bucks
whose name and homes I do not recollect, although they
done their homes and raising proud as to their spirit
and demeanor.

As sup passed to set and set to retirement that ole
tickle come forth in the most agrivatin' hack of a
cough and I wished hard for a long sip of Grandma's
communion spirits(For she was the sole provider of His
flesh and blood for the sacrament of communion down to
the Friendship Baptist Church of my home)with a little
dip of Uncle Virgil's Sorgum to ease it down this
parched gullet. As it warn't to be, I made my pallet
and made my peace and laid me down to a long and
fitful night's tossin' and turnin' amongst a good body
of kindred souls in the shelter.

Come morn I slowly awoke to a discussion of the past
night's events the likes of which I ain't heered afore
or since amongst my sheltermates. It took a spell for
me to divine that it was me that was the object of
their scorn, for as it was told amongst them from
floor to roof that a night passed in a den of bears
would of been of more peace than the one they had been
afforded by my caterwalling.

Pore ole Steve, who is a man without hearing swore
that for the first time in his considerable years he
had "heard a man snore", and this without them helpers
his condition forced him to wear on his ears.
The man will tell it to this day that my snoring and
throat hacking set up such a racket that he could feel
my every breath through the thick pine boards that was
floor, wall and roof.

Remarks of that nature was abouncin' from every one
who had the misfortune to have occupied that hut which
set me to looking for the bigger of the cracks in them
floor boards to see if I might shinny through and save
myself from what I feared was the dawning of my doom.
It warn't to be on either account.

As I slowly eased from under my covers and looked to
each and every eye for any sign of friend I found none
but did not see enough fire to fear for my life at any
rate.

As I rose to my apology and request for their
forgivence 'twas not the vile taste of anger but a
slight hint of understanding and, I hope I do not idle
boast, a bit of amazement that one man of no great
stature could, without aid of amplification nor other
means not of the body, emit such heinous and grotesqe
snorts and snarls intermixed with the most horrendous
hacks and coughs for the duration of a winter's dark
and yet live to hear the report!

As all was set to break this campment and each to his
own way, The High Plains Drifter, one of them Flordy
boys, come to me to ask had I yet took a nick towards
this journey by what might stand me off from another.
As I had not and made it plain to him, he asked would
I not consider the Hacksaw as my nick. When in
puzzlement I did ask as to what thus might be implied,
he did give reverence to my howls and hacks and spake
to me, Sir, from prayer to porridge I nor any soul in
this campment took not a minute's sleep for the great
and continued rants and rips from beneath thy pallet
quilt and with no offence ment to thee we concur that
never before has the hacking of throat nor the sawing
of the tallest of timbers been heard by one nor all,
so with this honour we desire to bestow on thee the
nick of HACKSAW to set thee apart from all others and
let all who camp beside thee be forewarned.

As God is my witness I shall nevermore darken shelter
door nor make my pallet on shelter floor as I am and
shall remain HACKSAW.

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 14:55
I was rummaging through some old papers and ran across this piece I once wrote in response to the question of how I became "Hacksaw" so I thought I'd share it here.

travellin'.

and demeanor.

floor, wall and roof.

rate.

shall remain HACKSAW.

Steve has confirmed this to me, except that I must say that while Steve is a good man and one of the best people I know, I think he might be slightly offended to be called "decent."

TW

saimyoji
10-01-2007, 15:01

travellin'.

and demeanor.

floor, wall and roof.

rate.

shall remain HACKSAW.

Steve has confirmed this to me, except that I must say that while Steve is a good man and one of the best people I know, I think he might be slightly offended to be called "decent."

TW

Don't you just hate it when someone quotes a really long post unnecesarily? :eek:

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 15:11
Don't you just hate it when someone quotes a really long post unnecesarily? :eek:

Yeah, me too.

TW

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 15:21
My name isn't self apointed but at the same time I don't think of it as my trail name. It came from my Fiance (at that time girlfriend). My name is Christopher so she shortened it to topher then it ended up as Fofer. Some of the Guys at the Firehouse heared her call me it and they made fun of it for a bit but some of my friends still use it as a joke from time to time. I'm still looking for a real trail name.

My Fiance's name is Beaker, that is actually a good name because when she does a mock/joke boo hoo she sounds like Beaker from the Muppets.

If you meet us on the trail don't hesitate to come up with a new name for us.

If you are hiking with your fiance and she calls you "Fofer" and someone hears it, that IS going to be your trail name. Forewarned is forearmed.

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 15:23
Heh - at my last job we heard a guy's wife call him Sweatpea. We still call him that...

I thought some women from certain parts of North and South Carolina call EVERYONE "Sweetpea".

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 15:33

TW
I know Steve and his Father George and I maintain that not only is Steve a good and decent man, he comes from a good and decent family.
In 2000 George was my very first of many trail angels. He gave me a ride from Rainbow Springs to Atlanta, bought me dinner and kept me totally entertained with his conversation all the way.

Damn good people.

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 15:41
I know Steve and his Father George and I maintain that not only is Steve a good and decent man, he comes from a good and decent family.
In 2000 George was my very first of many trail angels. He gave me a ride from Rainbow Springs to Atlanta, bought me dinner and kept me totally entertained with his conversation all the way.

Damn good people.

Hack, my good friend, I have terrible news for you. Steve is good, but indecent. He is living in Alaska, the home of unusual and exciting people (my wife is from the town he used to live in) and he is consorting with a woman. He has lived in a cabin and he does other strange things.

He remains deaf as a bat (like me) and as lovable as ever. Please don't risk offending him further with this "decency" thing. He is to kind to say anything especially to someone like you!!!

TW

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 16:35
Hack, my good friend, I have terrible news for you. Steve is good, but indecent. He is living in Alaska, the home of unusual and exciting people (my wife is from the town he used to live in) and he is consorting with a woman. He has lived in a cabin and he does other strange things.

He remains deaf as a bat (like me) and as lovable as ever. Please don't risk offending him further with this "decency" thing. He is to kind to say anything especially to someone like you!!!

TW
The Weasel, ol' pal, I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but if you haven't already, tell the folks where you got your name.

BTW, she's doing fine. Got another boy. They're down in Charleston now.

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 17:25
The Weasel, ol' pal, I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but if you haven't already, tell the folks where you got your name.

BTW, she's doing fine. Got another boy. They're down in Charleston now.

I've blamed my name on you and your wonderful daughter several times, so I'm sure most people are aware, and if they aren't and want to know, they can go to the top of this thread.

As for Steve, well dang, Hack. He's just totally descended into all forms of depravity. He even loves her. Alaskan wimmin are tough that way. I should know.

THE Weasel

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 18:08
I know whatyou mean about them Alaskan Wimmin'. I got a good ole" girlfriend who fishes out of Valdez originally from South Carolina, but she's been in Alaska for about 25 years, so I suppose she qualifys. Heck, she owns her own boat!

I knew Steve went up to Alaska and promptly went to the dogs, but I didn't know he done hooked up with a woman. I guess he is a bit indecent.

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 18:31
I know whatyou mean about them Alaskan Wimmin'. I got a good ole" girlfriend who fishes out of Valdez originally from South Carolina, but she's been in Alaska for about 25 years, so I suppose she qualifys. Heck, she owns her own boat!

I knew Steve went up to Alaska and promptly went to the dogs, but I didn't know he done hooked up with a woman. I guess he is a bit indecent.

a BIT? Man is gone, gone, gone. I told you, Hack...he loves her.

TW

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 18:45
Tsk Tsk...another lost soul.

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 19:12
Yes, he and I suffer it endlessly...and gladly.

TW

theunstrungharp
10-08-2007, 01:45
Dark Pork came about as as series of semi-tragic miscommunications.
How could I resist it?

Tennessee Viking
10-08-2007, 03:18
My first and current one is one of my internet profiles, 'Buliwyf.' A play off of Beowulf used in my favorite Michael Crichtons book 'Eaters of the Dead.' It means bee hunter in the nordic tongue.

My city friends tell me I should be called Extreme Day Hiker or Day-Man, because I am always out on day hikes and they think I am nuts.

Is there a trail name generator website?

The only one I can find is on Facebook, and gave me the trail name of Hiker Smurf. Not going with that

Tennessee Viking
10-08-2007, 03:19
My first and current one is one of my internet profiles, 'Buliwyf.' A play off of Beowulf used in my favorite Michael Crichtons book 'Eaters of the Dead.' It means bee hunter in the nordic tongue.

My city friends tell me I should be called Extreme Day Hiker or Day-Man, because I am always out on day hikes and they think I am nuts.

Is there a trail name generator website?

The only one I can find is on Facebook, and gave me the trail name of Hiker Smurf. Not going with that

Manach
10-08-2007, 19:53
I myself am of two minds about acquiring a trail name. It's a wonderful tradition, earing a nickname for some memorable event or some endearing aspect of one's personality.

But then, I always end up falling in the with the clowns who would stick me with something like "Kudzu" or "Monkey Butt." :p