PDA

View Full Version : cheap soup

gravy4601
11-21-2009, 02:57
not sure how many of you have heard about nissin souper bowls but i just found them at my local dollar general for a buck they have a mix to go with the ramen noodle that taste great and I'm thinking that maybe i could dehydrate some vegetables and make a bulk ingredients pack
the question i have is could this be possable with a normal nonfan style dehydrator without a fan and or dose the vegetables need to be freezed dried to taste any good

for those who havent heard of thease here is there site
http://www.nissinfoods.com/soupermeal/
they also have some other products i haven't tryed advice on them also would be appreciated

russb
11-21-2009, 06:05
Your dehydrator should work ok. However, dehydrated vegetables take much longer to rehydrate than freeze-dried. Also, before yo dehydrate them, they should be cooked in some manner (steamed or blanched for Ex.) If you use canned or frozen, you don't need to do anything.

sasquatch2014
11-21-2009, 12:54
I have not tried that type of soup before but I have used the Mrs Grass Beef and Barley soup mix. There are a few problems with this though. First off it makes about 10 cups of soup in the full size, it takes a bunch of water to make, and the cook time. Now all that being said here is what I do with it.

I take the package of soup and split it in half and bag it seperatly. I tend to add additional noodles and vegies to it so that it will become more like a stew almost. I am also a fan of meat so if I have any beef jerky I will tear it up and throw some of that into the mix as well. I tend to save this for a time when I am at camp and near a easy source of water and having a camp fire that night. I will get my small bed of coals going and just cook the soup over that. It's a great meal to have and then share with others at camp. I haven't looked but I am sure that the sodium level for it is rather high. Also I have learned that a barley flake will cook quicker than the whole barley so try to find that if you want to add extra of it into the mix.

Lostone
11-21-2009, 13:50
Keep your eye on the ads. I have bought those for 50 cents a bowl. I see your in ohio Meijer has some very good noodle bowls on sale this week. They are half price.

gravy4601
11-21-2009, 17:41
Keep your eye on the ads. I have bought those for 50 cents a bowl. I see your in ohio Meijer has some very good noodle bowls on sale this week. They are half price.

great i'm going to meijer later

gravy4601
11-21-2009, 17:43
what dose food with a high sodium level do ?

Compass
11-22-2009, 16:59
Gravy4601, At 28 years old not much more than making you a little more thirsty and an extra trip to pee in the middle of the night. The older extra sodium becomes more problematic.

The entire bag of soup has like 1800 calories and 8000 mg sodium.

saimyoji
11-22-2009, 19:22
you'd probably be better off buying a few dollars worth of noodles, some veggies spices, bouillon or stock and making your own big batch from scratch than buying those. they are very unhealthy when eaten in large quantities.

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2009, 19:44
Dollar stores carry large spice shakers full of dried vegetables that are dried and chopped fine that can be added to soups and hydrate very nicely - after reviewing the numbers on this product, I won't be purchasing it.

Tinker
11-22-2009, 21:56
what dose food with a high sodium level do ?
Raises blood pressure, mainly. As stated it's not much of a problem for young folks, and may not be as much of a problem for older folks who exercise regularly and vigorously (like hiking 10+ miles a day for weeks on end).

chknfngrs
11-22-2009, 22:38
To 8oz of boiling water, add one to three packets of ketchup from your local fast food chain. The cheapest tomato soup you can find.

sarbar
11-23-2009, 00:34
you'd probably be better off buying a few dollars worth of noodles, some veggies spices, bouillon or stock and making your own big batch from scratch than buying those. they are very unhealthy when eaten in large quantities.

Yep. Buy 10 cent a packet ramen blocks, toss the "flavor" packets and season them yourself. It cuts most of the sodium and MSG. Go dry your own veggies using diced cut frozen veggies, toss them frozen on a cookie sheet and dry in your oven. If I want/need bouillon I buy a low sodium natural version that is nice and if I DO need salt (which is about never) I add a pinch in at the end.

You will do it cheaper in the long run, get more food and be full :)

sarbar
11-23-2009, 00:39
Raises blood pressure, mainly. As stated it's not much of a problem for young folks, and may not be as much of a problem for older folks who exercise regularly and vigorously (like hiking 10+ miles a day for weeks on end).

And beyond the health issues there is another: The steady diet of high sodium consumption ruins your taste buds! By that....you know people who plop down to a salty dinner and shake on salt without even tasting it? Yeah, those people NEED to wean down their consumption. And learn to taste before adding. Doesn't take long either to get one's buds to change back either :)

If you are going to consumer sodium, avoid highly processed versions. Cook your food then add salt to taste - and preferably a good n' tasty salt (such as a kosher or sea salt).

The majority of people in the world who eat a modern diet get way more than they need. Even for sweaty hikers. On hot days. If one eats a balanced diet they don't need to slam down 2K of sodium at dinner time. (People who do extreme sports such as 100 mile runs DO need to make sure they are getting proper amounts, backpackers are not doing that extreme..lol!)

gravy4601
11-23-2009, 03:20
good to no i thought it dehydrated you also anyway i'm not real big on salt maybe pepper some times thats about it

gravy4601
11-23-2009, 03:25
Yep. Buy 10 cent a packet ramen blocks, toss the "flavor" packets and season them yourself. It cuts most of the sodium and MSG. Go dry your own veggies using diced cut frozen veggies, toss them frozen on a cookie sheet and dry in your oven. If I want/need bouillon I buy a low sodium natural version that is nice and if I DO need salt (which is about never) I add a pinch in at the end.

You will do it cheaper in the long run, get more food and be full :)

How long dose it take to dry and at what temp

sarbar
11-23-2009, 12:16
A couple hours on the lowest setting. Stir every hour :)