PDA

View Full Version : What packs are you using?

guthook
11-21-2009, 10:47
Okay, just because I'm curious, what packs are you all planning on using for the PCT (or have you used in the past)? I've heard the ULA Catalyst is one of the most popular. What else is out there?

I'm kind of curious to see what's the smallest pack you've seen a thru-hiker wearing.... This being so different than the AT.

garlic08
11-21-2009, 11:21
I used a fairly heavy-duty (20 oz) frameless pack with removable stays for my PCT hike. I've since started using a very light frameless, stayless silnylon pack (9 oz), but if I needed to hike the High Sierra again (with a bear cannister), I would probably go back to the heavier pack, just for that section. My load exceeded 25 pounds in that section, and my UL pack would not be best for that. My favorite packs are from Gossamer Gear.

So it depends really on your total load. There are some very fast, very experienced hikers (and maybe with some support) who can hike the Sierra with a lighter load and can use a UL pack very well.

You're right about the ULA packs, they're very popular out there, and a great investment for a sturdy, long-lasting pack. They're too heavy and pricey for me, though.

Spirit Walker
11-21-2009, 13:28
I use a ULA Catalyst. It carries heavy food and water loads well. Remember, for much of the trail you will be carrying a LOT of water.

Spirit Walker
11-21-2009, 13:30
As to lightest pack - I know Wolf just used a daypack. I think his pack weight was about 7 lbs. He is a strong fast hiker (or at least he was before the Army got hold of him and forced him to carry 70 lb packs!)

Mango
11-21-2009, 13:59
I'm going with an Osprey Aether 70. It's a lot heavier than the silnylon bags-with-straps, but I think it carries my gear more comfortably. Also, when 10 to 12 lbs are water required in some sections, it seems a heavier-duty pack would be needed. However, the ones who have completed the PCT with UL packs have credibility that I don't. On the AT, several hikers I met had quality problems with Gossamer Gear packs - seams ripping, etc.

TwoForty
11-21-2009, 14:16
I carried a ULA Catalyst for both of my longer section hikes. Even for only sections, I encountered a lot of variety so I needed a pack that could handle it all. From 7 liters of water to 10 days of food and a bear can to only 3 days of food and a few liters of water.

I now use a Conduit for shorter hikes in Washington, but that is because I don't encounter as much variety. Sure, the Conduit would have been more ideal for some sections where I used the Catalyst, but I would have suffered in other sections.

I'll never thru, but if I was going to, I'd take the Catalyst for sure.

FamilyGuy
11-21-2009, 15:19
Mystery Ranch Trance (2007). But I avoid re-supplies.

Chance09
11-21-2009, 20:24
ULA circuit, love it. I was debating buying a Z pack at around 6 oz for the PCT but A i don't think i'd be able to carry a bear canister with it and B i think i'm going to take comfort over lightweight in the pack category.

sbhikes
11-21-2009, 22:48
My observations were that most people had either a ULA or a Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack. The smallest pack I saw was a Gossamer Gear Murmur. I used a Gossamer Gear G4. I was so hungry I had to have a big pack to carry all my food.

Now I hike with a ULA Relay. It's so tiny. I just love it! I think ULA makes the best packs.

guthook
11-22-2009, 08:16
Interesting. I'm having trouble deciding between my MLD Exodus (frameless, 1 pound or less) and my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (frame, 3 pounds +). I'm starting to think I'll take the Nimbus Ozone for the first half of the trail (big water loads, bear canister) and switch to the Exodus once I'm through with that crazy stuff.

But it seems like it would be oh so nice to have the super light Exodus for the whole trail... Probably unlikely though. The upside to using the Nimbus Ozone is that I could say it's been on two thru-hikes!

frisbeefreek
11-22-2009, 10:12
Granite Gear Nimbus (48oz) allowed me to carry 42# into the Sierras (my base weight was less than 15#, so it was mostly food). The bear canister fit nicely sideways in the bottom. A bit roomy elsewhere on the trail.

Lots of people used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (32oz). This will be my first choice if I hike again.

I met a bunch of people who went ultra-light frameless, but didn't have baseweights <10#. They consequently were quite unhappy when they had to load up 5 quarts of water and 5 days of food.

frisbeefreek
11-22-2009, 10:32
Couldn't figure out how to edit my post -- I used the Nimbus Ozone. The Vapor Trail is 37oz, but I was able to cut ~4oz of straps and stuff off my Ozone, so I figure a similar amount on the Vapor Trail.

Granite Gear Nimbus (48oz) allowed me to carry 42# into the Sierras (my base weight was less than 15#, so it was mostly food). The bear canister fit nicely sideways in the bottom. A bit roomy elsewhere on the trail.

Lots of people used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail (32oz). This will be my first choice if I hike again.

I met a bunch of people who went ultra-light frameless, but didn't have baseweights <10#. They consequently were quite unhappy when they had to load up 5 quarts of water and 5 days of food.

Dogwood
11-23-2009, 00:07
I was thinking like you Guthook, realizing that some parts of the PCT required longer hauls between resupplying or having to carry heavier colder weather clothing and/or gear or hauling more H2O. I got away with using a ULA Conduit almost the whole way, but I have an UL small volume kit. Everyone does not have that. And, at times, like through the Sierras, I was maxed out on carrying wt. for often the first day or two out. So, it's not just a matter of the trail, the PCT, and/or even the section but also the type of kit(wt and volume) you have. Often the most wt and the longest food hauls you will carry for the longest amount of time occurs in the Sierras on the PCT.

Guthook, the only reason I can think of for having a larger pack starting out is for the same thing you are now realizing, water carrying comfort, so in this sense what you might want to be thinking is not necessarily have a larger volumed or heavier pack, but just aim to have a pack that can comfortably carry a slightly heavier wt when carrying water. And, also realize in the Mojave Desert you can often get away with carrying less heavier wt clothing and shelter so it can slightly offset the extra water wt. One other thing about the necessity of hauling water in SoCal. If you get up to date water reports at www.4jeffrey (http://www.4jeffrey/) you will be in a much better position to manage how much water you have to carry so you may not be that overloaded with water as often as you think. Add to that an earlier to avg NOBO start date in an avg snowfall yr. and you are more likely to find more water sources and water caches not dry yet. All helps to manage your water wt!

Doooglas
11-23-2009, 05:51
Currently a Cloud and a DG3 Crossfire.
As of next week? This:confused:

ARambler
11-23-2009, 09:48
I saw two Cuban fiber packs with tiny, shared loads. I got a negative review about the abrasion resistance of Cuban. However, one review is not a lot of data, and the packs made it well into WA.

I don't think the typical pct packs were that much lighter than the AT June finishers in 07.

Guthook, the kickoff may be too early if it is a normal snow year.

Rambler

guthook
11-23-2009, 15:46
Guthook, the kickoff may be too early if it is a normal snow year.

Rambler

Too early for what?

I'm very tempted to try my frameless MLD Exodus in the beginning of the PCT, but it's probably a safer bet to take the Nimbus Ozone. Who knows though. There's plenty of time to change my mind several times before April.

The folks with the cuben fiber packs you saw... I wonder if they continued using them in the Sierra with bear canisters. Hmm...

Jester2000
11-23-2009, 18:50
Osprey Atmos 65. Loved it -- if I hiked the PCT again I'd use the same pack.

ARambler
11-23-2009, 20:26
Too early for what?

I'm very tempted to try my frameless MLD Exodus in the beginning of the PCT, but it's probably a safer bet to take the Nimbus Ozone. Who knows though. There's plenty of time to change my mind several times before April.

The folks with the cuben fiber packs you saw... I wonder if they continued using them in the Sierra with bear canisters. Hmm...

I was off topic, but thinking of the big picture. I saw you on the AT in February, doing pretty big miles. If you start before (or at) the kickoff, lighten your load, and hike fast, you will see a lot of snow on Fuller Ridge and in the Sierras (in a normal year). Of course, you do not need to hike as hard as 07. It's way too early to be fixed on the postholer.com SEI
Rambler

guthook
11-23-2009, 21:37
I was off topic, but thinking of the big picture. I saw you on the AT in February, doing pretty big miles. If you start before (or at) the kickoff, lighten your load, and hike fast, you will see a lot of snow on Fuller Ridge and in the Sierras (in a normal year). Of course, you do not need to hike as hard as 07. It's way too early to be fixed on the postholer.com SEI
Rambler

Yeah, on the AT I had a set date I had to finish by because I had a job lined up. Not making that mistake again.... I'll be jobless as far as I can tell (not sure if that's good or bad in the long run). Of course, I do have to fly back east for a friend's wedding at the end of June, but I've got some ideas for that so I'll still be pretty flexible. I'm planning on hiking not as hard, but I'll still be going light and starting at the Kickoff.

When were you on the PCT, Rambler? And what's SEI stand for? I still have much to learn :)

wandering_bob
11-23-2009, 22:09
Six Moon Designs Traveler
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=59

Panel loader
3800 cubic inches ( 62 liters )
26 oz frameless or 31 oz with 2 removable aluminum stays in place

Sierra weight with 7 days' food in bear canister and 1 liter of water was 32 pounds.

Dogwood
11-23-2009, 23:40
It seems to me, and understand I don't have any experience with cuben backpacks or ZPacks, but from what I've seen Zpacks are made for UL wts. and minimal volume gear. Also seems most of the carrying wt is on the shoulders and not a whole lot of wt gets transferred to the hips. I know it is VERY Appealing to have a 6 oz or less pack, but DO UNDERSTAND that calls for a very specialized kit on a thru-hike with virtually NO FRILLS or many features in the backpack! They are not for everyone and are, IMO, probably not the best overall pack for thru-hiking when someone is newly downsizing to UL or has little experience with minimalist type gear. For short duration, like long weekends or someone who is experienced with UL wt and small volume(compressible) gear absolutely doable pack. Just my 2 cents.

Guy
11-24-2009, 07:26
I'll be carrying a McHale S-Sarc. I can't compare it to other packs for you because it's the only backpacking type pack that I've ever owned. It's a great pack though.

garlic08
11-24-2009, 10:58

Panel loader

Sierra weight with 7 days' food in bear canister and 1 liter of water was 32 pounds.

Did the zippers survive a thru hike? I've never been able to get zippers to last that long, especially in the desert.

Chance09
11-24-2009, 23:13
Who knows though. There's plenty of time to change my mind several times before April.

That's exactly how i feel :-?

Chance09
11-24-2009, 23:17
I stated my thru this year with a 6MD Traveler. I couldn't stand it. The panel loader feature was nice but I just wasn't carrying enough stuff in it most of the time. There was always extra space and there wasn't a way to compress it enough for it to be comfortable.Most of the stitching on the seams started coming undone too. Even on places that didn't have any pressure, or reason to be coming undone.

That said i love my 6md lunar solo.

Doooglas
11-25-2009, 06:06

Panel loader

That looks to be dyneema weave within ripstop.
Should be a tough pack.
You don't eat much, I guess :D

wandering_bob
11-25-2009, 23:25
Doooglas:

My Sierra pack..........

Base weight = 14.5 pounds
Bear canister = 2.2 pounds (Bearikade Expredition)
Food and fuel = 12.7 pounds
1 liter water = 2.2 pounds
Total weight = 31.6 pounds..........call it 32

Food weight = 27 oz per day
Fuel weight (2 Esbit tablets) = 1.0 oz per day
Hydration packets = 0.95 oz per day
total consumables = 20.95 oz = 1.8 pounds per day

YoungMoose
11-25-2009, 23:45
low alpine appalachian 75+15 liters 4.6k cubic inches

Miner
11-26-2009, 18:53
I used the ULA Circuit with a base weight of 13-14lbs for most of the trail (not counting the bearcan in the sierras). I think I only had this back "full" once or twice on the trail and most of the time I needed to let my sleeping bag loft to keep it full enough to carry well.

handlebar
11-26-2009, 20:20
I used a Nimbus Meridian the whole way (same as Nimbus Ozone but with a removable top pocket). I liked it because it could carry up to 35 or 40 lbs comfortably. Since I was the first through section D (southbound from Walker Pass to Cajon Pass), I could not rely on the water reports being current or the caches being stocked. I carried up to 7 liters (nearly 15 pounds) plus 5 days food (another 10 pounds or so) and fuel and you can see how the weight got up to 40lbs. North of Kennedy Meadows, the water sources are great through the Sierra and carrying more than a liter is crazy unless headed from a water source to a dry camp nearby. The added weight of a couple extra days' food and the bear can still netted to less weight when I took our all the extra water.

I did use all 7 liters on the trek from Tylerhorse Canyon across the aqueduct to RT158 and did the last couple of miles dry. The spigot at the bridge near Cottonwood Ck was not working since the aqueduct had been drained for maintenance. This is a hot, hot section and although there was a nice breeze, I found I really went through the water. By the time the nobo herd reached this point in mid-May the aqueduct was again carrying water and the spigot worked so most hikers would have been fine with 5 liters.

njordan2
11-26-2009, 21:15
Gregory Whitney. I love it. It is light, internal frame and very durable.
In nice weather, my pack weighs a light 50 -55lbs with 3 liters of water and 8 days of food.
In bad weather, it is about 5 pounds heavier.

Egads
11-27-2009, 08:51
Have made a change from heavy weight to UL over the years

Day pack - Salomon Raid Revo 20 (good for runs, rides, family excursions)

Overnighter / Weekender - Gossamer Gear Murmur (newest)

Summer Weekender - Osprey Stratus 32 (love the mesh back)

Winter - Gossamer Gear G4 (great pack for hammocking & lots of down)

Long hike - ULA Catalyst (great pack for heavy loads)

In the attic - Gregory Baltoro 70 (way too heavy for big mile days)

Gave away - GG Mariposa, Gregory Z Pack (neither fit me well)

I totally represent consumerism gone awry

Jester2000
11-27-2009, 09:58
total consumables = 20.95 oz = 1.8 pounds per day

20.95 oz. is about 1.3 pounds.

Meta
11-27-2009, 19:56
I'm now a two-time PCT thru-hiker. First time I started with a Gregory Makalu Pro, broke the hip-belt by Big Bear and bought a Granite Gear Latitude Vapor there and lightened up a bit. Really enjoyed that pack. Finished with it.

in 2009 I started with a ULA Conduit and went all the way. I loved it. It was perfect for me. I don't care at all about carrying weight on my shoulders, so I never used the hip-belt (I find free hips improve my hiking speed/comfort more so than a couple pounds off my shoulders). My base weight is 8 pounds and I never carry more than 4 liters of water or so (in the desert, for the rest of the trail I usually carry between none and 2). And I resupply somewhat often and hike a good pace (25ish before the sierras, 20 in the sierras, 30+ after the sierras).

I think the granite gear zone is probably ideal for most hikers. Functional hip-belts but still a good empty pack weight. Very flexible for various gear lists and the hip-belts are usually removable if you end up lightening up significantly while on trail.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 22:34
Seems like ULA is the big hit on the PCT.

BrianLe
12-14-2009, 23:27
Seems like ULA is the big hit on the PCT.

Indeed, and on the ground, not just on forums. I, however, liked my GG Mariposa Plus just fine, and am using it on the AT starting this Feb.

Doooglas
12-15-2009, 07:29
Mystery Ranch Trance (2007). But I avoid re-supplies.
I find it interesting to see a realist here.............:cool:

pertrainer
12-16-2009, 18:16
Brian from ULA makes great packs, but I used and will use again this year a Gossamer Gear G-5 it's 8 oz. THe smallist I have seen on the PCT is a homemade one by Warner Springs Monty. It's 4 or 5 oz. He thru-hiked in 2007 with a base weight of under 5 lb.

pertrainer
12-16-2009, 18:27
My packs base weight on the AT in the summer is around 7 lb, on the PCT around 10 lb . It's important to go very light weight on the PCT mostly because you are often walking on a section of trail where if you stumble and fall off the trail well you die. A heavier pack increases your odds of falling if you do stumble.
I agree with ARambler , unless you really go slow starting the PCT after the KO party might be to early.

BrianLe
12-16-2009, 18:37
I started right after the KO in 2008 and it seemed like just the right time to start to me, though certainly this depends on the year. A late April start got me into the Sierras in early June, and it worked out great (again, in that year at least).

I don't recall all that many places where if you stumble off the trail that you die --- certainly there are some of those on any trail, but mostly ... it's just trail.

I guess just different perspectives, different perception of the same data by different people!

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 18:41
My packs base weight on the AT in the summer is around 7 lb, on the PCT around 10 lb . It's important to go very light weight on the PCT mostly because you are often walking on a section of trail where if you stumble and fall off the trail well you die. A heavier pack increases your odds of falling if you do stumble.
I agree with ARambler , unless you really go slow starting the PCT after the KO party might be to early.

Hahahahaha! Oh, wait. Was that serious?

Meta
12-16-2009, 19:20
I used a granite gear latitude vapor in 2008 and a ULA Conduit in 2009. Prefer the conduit after all's said and done, definitely performed well. Good pack for a 8-10 pound base weight, heavy-foot-eating individual. I didn't wear the hipbelt, either, ever. Not even in the sierras.

Yeah, as far as falling off the trail and dying, not buying it. I mean even on 45 degree snow slopes you'd be fine if you slipped. Only a few places would a fall mean serious injury, much less death.

And starting from the kickoff is fine. I'm a fast hiker and I started from the kickoff in 2009, got to kennedy meadows june 1st and entered the sierras june 3rd. With an average number of zeros, maybe 6 or 7, in socal. Hiking 25s.

leaftye
01-01-2010, 02:24
I'll be using a REI Great Star. It's a huge bag, but being a heavy drinker and a cold sleeper makes for a heavier load.

300winmag
01-03-2010, 16:44
I use the REI CRUISE UL 60 because it has internal stays and other features I like. The newer REI UL pack lost some of those features but is still an excellent pack. I've added REI aftermarket side pockets (no longer available)

Tent> TT Moment

Bag/mattress> WM Megalite, old Thermarest Lite, reg.

Stove(s)> Vargo Jet-Ti, Brunton Flex, Vargo Triad EX (base only,for ESBIT tabs),1 L pot & MSR windscreen

GPS> Garmin Colorado

Water treatment> Steripen Adventurer & Micropur chlorine dioxide tabs for water.

That's the main stuff.

Eric

Guy
01-04-2010, 09:15
... but being a heavy drinker and a cold sleeper makes for a heavier load.

You start on April 20, and hike the same speed as me, right? :)

cheeks
01-05-2010, 09:28
Since ULA is the clear winner, could I get some more thoughts on Catlyst vs Circuit? Did anyone who went with a Circuit for a PCT thru-hike (accounting for a bear canister) wish they had a bit more room?

Miner
01-05-2010, 15:05
It all depends on YOUR gear. I actually found the Circuit too big for my gear as I only filled the pack twice on the entire trip. I only went with it over a smaller pack because I was more concerned about comfortably carrying heavy water loads.

Considering how many Catalysts I saw in comparison to Circuits and how happy they were with the larger pack, many people likely would have found the Circuit too small. That said, I've never ran into anyone who actually had a Circuit who was unhappy with it. If you can fit all your gear into a Circuit including an extra food bag and you can keep the total weight under 35 for most of the trip with a few heavier carries, then you likely will be fine with it.

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 18:14

Panel loader

Im torn between this and the Circuit.

So with the SMD, does it carry alot of water ok???? I notice the ULA is 10 oz more with the same capacity

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 18:19

So with the SMD, does it carry alot of water ok???? I notice the ULA is 10 oz more with the same capacity

Also, does the SMD pack have the tiny zippers the tents do.Those zippers are a pain in cold weather

Nean
01-07-2010, 21:05

IMO the ULA is better made. ;) I carry the Cat.:)

Chaco Taco
01-07-2010, 21:08
IMO the ULA is better made. ;) I carry the Cat.:)

I typically carry a pretty light load right now. Should I go with a Catylst for the reason of the water issue???
Here is my list
Double Rainbow
Prolite
Ultralamina with thermarest pillow
Starlyte + Titan Kettle

Nean
01-07-2010, 21:28
I typically carry a pretty light load right now. Should I go with a Catylst for the reason of the water issue???
Here is my list
Double Rainbow
Prolite
Ultralamina with thermarest pillow
Starlyte + Titan Kettle

Your gear is light enough for the Circ and you would manage I'm sure.;) My guess is the Cat carries the heavy loads and lighter loads more comfortably and I like having a little more room for... refreshments and such... :)

Erik The Black
02-14-2010, 15:28
I own the ULA Conduit and Circuit. I'll be taking the Circuit this year because I'll be bringing a little extra gear.

With my 13 lb base weight, 5 days of food and 3 liters of water there is still a ton of unused space at the top of the Circuit. The larger Catalyst is very popular but I think it's overkill for a thru-hike. The Circuit is lighter and has more room than I can figure out what to do with.

Whichever model you choose, you can't go wrong with ULA packs. Granite Gear packs (like the Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone) are also quite popular on the PCT.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Johnny Appleseed
02-14-2010, 18:44
Kelty red cloud 5600. My gregory acadia died due to hard use and I almost did not detect the hip belt attachment (plastic) nearly broke. I will not put my pack down hard again. Better to find at home then in the middle of the desert. I wish they did not discontinue the acadia. And gregorys' alternatives are either not my style or too expensive.

I carry more food then needed almost routinely, but I like it that way. Plus eureka zeus 2 man tent to sleep w/ all my gear-5 lbs. Also I got a 1 lb.? canon G10 14.7 megapixel camera.

MarcnNJ
02-14-2010, 20:43
I loved my ULA's on the AT in 06....I started with the Circuit (original model), and finished with my P-2. They unfortunately lost my P-2 last summer during the ownership transition, and replaced it for me with a brand new Ohm. I am starting the PCT this year with the Ohm, looking to get a little lighter, and have the Circuit on deck in case I need more room.

Red Beard
02-14-2010, 20:59
I own the ULA Conduit and Circuit. I'll be taking the Circuit this year because I'll be bringing a little extra gear.

With my 13 lb base weight, 5 days of food and 3 liters of water there is still a ton of unused space at the top of the Circuit. The larger Catalyst is very popular but I think it's overkill for a thru-hike. The Circuit is lighter and has more room than I can figure out what to do with.

I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. Good to know I'm not the only one who has lots of leftover room in the Circuit.