PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking/camping winter break

ATBuddy
11-22-2009, 07:45
Me and My friend are going to go backpacking/camping over winter break. Can someone recommend the top places to camp/backpack out of VA/WV/MD, so far the only places I've found in MD are crap. Thanks

Ol Mole
11-22-2009, 07:58
Two nice areas we have enjoyed during the winter are as follows:
Cap Hoover area in SNP. The trails are such that loops can be done and the area is beautiful. You can start from the Skyline drive and hike down, or if it is closed, hike up from below. THe Rapidan is very scenic.

The other area we like is the Big Schloss area to the west in the Alleghenys.

Happy Trails!

Ratchet-SectionHiker
11-22-2009, 09:13
Are you looking to do a section of the AT or just for a good campground? If you are looking to do a section, a nice and fairly easy one is Harpers Ferry to Pen Par Park PA. This takes you basically from the VA border to the PA border knocking out about a 50 mile section of the AT

Hikes with a stick
11-22-2009, 11:24
Check out this site for some trails... http://midatlantichikes.com

ATBuddy
11-22-2009, 14:50
Two nice areas we have enjoyed during the winter are as follows:
Cap Hoover area in SNP. The trails are such that loops can be done and the area is beautiful. You can start from the Skyline drive and hike down, or if it is closed, hike up from below. THe Rapidan is very scenic.

The other area we like is the Big Schloss area to the west in the Alleghenys.

Happy Trails!

Thanks for the suggestion. Ive actually done big schloss but not in the winter. That might work

Are you looking to do a section of the AT or just for a good campground? If you are looking to do a section, a nice and fairly easy one is Harpers Ferry to Pen Par Park PA. This takes you basically from the VA border to the PA border knocking out about a 50 mile section of the AT

I did think of doing a section of the at but thats a good idea. Im not sure exactly what I want to do yet. Maybe both a section hike and a campground thing.

Check out this site for some trails... http://midatlantichikes.com

Yeah I look there a lot. We were thinking of doing the mt rogers Hike.

Is the blackburn trail center to harpers ferry a good hike?