PDA

View Full Version : Nice day pack that will fit under airplane seat

Mooselook Marty
11-22-2009, 09:46
Hi everyone,
I am heading off on a vacation in January and am looking for a day pack that meet the following criteria:

will fit under the seat of most airplanes
Will comfortably carry up to 18 pounds for three season day hikes

One pack that caught my eye is the Granite Gear Vapor Day: http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/technical/vaporday.html

Was wondering if anyone has any impressions on the Vapor Day or has any other recommendations for day packs that meet these criteria.

Thanks!
Marty

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2009, 19:19
quite a few people have reviewed your post and did not comment, I don't see anything wrong with your choice. In fact I think its a great choice. We could sit here and recommend compeating packs but what I saw had side pockets hip belt, compression straps and the only thing that is missing for me, I happen to like a top pocket and built in pocket on the hip belt which is missing here otherwise enjoy...

Mooselook Marty
11-23-2009, 10:39
Thanks for the reply, Wise Old Owl. Much appreciated. Think I will have to go for it :)

Marty

Chance09
11-27-2009, 15:59
my absolute favorite day pack is the North Face Recon. I've had one for years and I've been meaning to buy another just in case they ever stop making them. I have used mine both hiking and all through college. I think college was generally the heavier load.

Egads
11-27-2009, 16:49
Granite Gear have a great reputation. The vaporday pack will probably live up the the reputation of it's big brothers and sisters. IMO, 32 liters is a bit large for a day pack.

nitewalker
11-27-2009, 18:30
rei has the golite jam on sale for 87.50$ as we speak. thats 40.00$ off the sticker price..pretty good deal if u ask me. i had to get one....

grayfox
11-28-2009, 07:40
Granite Gear makes very good packs and has great customer service. I have a Wisp that I am very happy with. I just wanted to say that nearly any frameless pack will fit uner the seat or in overhead if it is not stuffed to the gills. Buy what you like to hike with and under fill it(a difficult concept to grasp I know) for the flight.

nitewalker
11-28-2009, 07:57
i will second or maybe 3rd or 4th by now the granite gear packs. i run with the vapor trail 80% of the time. the other 20% i use the granite gear nimbus latitude both are excellent packs. the vapor trail is smaller and will definitly fit where u need it unless your going to stuff it to the gill...there was a vapor trail or sale on this site last nite. it was in a large size, i think they wanted 100.00$ for it....

WinterWarlock
11-28-2009, 08:22
You didn't say where you going in January, but I'll throw another one into the ring...the Osprey Stratos. If you'll be anywhere warm, the ventilated back panel is awesome for keeping the pack from just sitting on your back and getting you hot and sweaty. It comes in a 24L or 40L, so you have a choice in volume. Altrec.com has the Stratos's on sale right now.

Doooglas
12-03-2009, 06:10
Simple enough. this is specifically designed for you.:)
http://www.lowealpine-usa.com/index.php?nav=24&search=cat&Category=Travel&docp=16_1021

sparky2000
12-03-2009, 14:52
Keeping the air travel in mind - I've had my pack searched for explosives, ect. It ain't cute - the remedy is - from my experience, to put the pack into a military sack and check it in as baggage.

Doooglas
12-04-2009, 11:59
Keeping the air travel in mind - I've had my pack searched for explosives, ect. It ain't cute - the remedy is - from my experience, to put the pack into a military sack and check it in as baggage.
Me too. I bought myself a disguise that makes it absolutely certain they never notice me or pull me out of line.