PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking in NH

Debbie
11-22-2009, 11:24
Any suggestions on how to navigate NH without staying at the huts? I have neither the money nor the inclination to stay there. I'm a section hiker, so work for stay is not an option for me. I'm aware of the backcountry shelters and campsites, but they appear pretty far apart.

Is anybody aware of good (legal) unofficial campsites along the way?:-?

SeaEagle/Debbie

rickb
11-22-2009, 11:40
I don't have a list, but you can legally camp most everywhere in the Whites, provided you are at least 1/4 mile away from a man made structure like a hut, lean-to or road, and not above tree line. The actual regs are a bit more detailed, but that is the gist of it.

The caretaker campsites and shelters can be very convenient, however. They promise a flat spot for a tent and nearby water. If you plan things out in advance, most are not so far apart.

Except for the stretch over Mount Washington. If you want to avoid staying at Lakes of the Clouds, you need to walk about 11 miles between shelters/tent platforms (Nauman to the Perch). That stretch is problematic if you can't walk that far since it is all above tree line.

Tin Man
11-22-2009, 13:31
Plenty of spots, easy to find if you keep your eyes open.

Snowleopard
11-22-2009, 16:28
For the vicinity of Mt. Adams and Jefferson, check out the Randolph Mountain Club shelters, a lot cheaper than the AMC -- http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html
In some places you'll have to drop down in altitude to be legal (and safe).
Some places there are not very many feasible flat treeless spots. I haven't tried it, but this might be a situation where hammock camping makes sense; you can always find 2 trees.

speedbump
11-22-2009, 17:00
Other than hiking down a while off trail, there are no good , legal camp spots. Nauman camp site at Mitzpah is good, but that is it until Osgood. Lake in the crowds has the "dungeon" for a reduced rate. I wish there were more, and if so, I have not found them. Good luck.

Peaks
11-22-2009, 18:06
Just outside the restricted zone signs (like 1/4 mile from a man made structure) there are usually bootleg campsites. But certainly, the stretch of the AT across the Presidential Range is longer than most people do in one day, so be prepared to go off trail and down below treeline for one night.

I've often thought about rehiking this section of trail, just to try it without relying on any huts or established tentsites and shelters.

Tin Man
11-22-2009, 20:41
I've often thought about rehiking this section of trail, just to try it without relying on any huts or established tentsites and shelters.

It is a great hike through there. Would do it again for sure. I found a couple spots that I used two years ago and this year. Also, found some others when I spotted thru-hikers coming out of a faint trail. They really aren't too difficult to find and they are perfectly legal - 1/4 from established sites and 200 ft from water and trails.

Debbie
11-22-2009, 20:49
Thanks for the replies, everybody. I have the feeling this can be done, between the established tent/campsites and spots I can look for. I'll also check out the RMC website.

SeaEagle/Debbie

Slo-go'en
11-22-2009, 22:59
From Hanover to Franconia notch, there are likely stealth spots you can use, but if you can see them from the trail, thier not legal, which makes them hard to find. But then, this section is lesser used so getting shelter and designated tent site space isn't so much a problem.

From Franconia notch all the way to Gorham, stealth spots are pretty much non-existant, since most of this is above tree line. The only exception might be just outside the restricted zone of Ethan Pond.

Plan on using designated camping areas and hope for space. NH is the only section of the AT I haven't thru-hiked yet, and I've done 4000+ miles of the AT so far. Ironic, since I live in NH and in the White Mts. I may just break down and give the AMC the big bucks to do it the easy way - as a tourist!

Tin Man
11-23-2009, 00:21
From Hanover to Franconia notch, there are likely stealth spots you can use, but if you can see them from the trail, thier not legal, which makes them hard to find. But then, this section is lesser used so getting shelter and designated tent site space isn't so much a problem.

From Franconia notch all the way to Gorham, stealth spots are pretty much non-existant, since most of this is above tree line. The only exception might be just outside the restricted zone of Ethan Pond.

Plan on using designated camping areas and hope for space. NH is the only section of the AT I haven't thru-hiked yet, and I've done 4000+ miles of the AT so far. Ironic, since I live in NH and in the White Mts. I may just break down and give the AMC the big bucks to do it the easy way - as a tourist!

if you haven't hiked it, how do you know this? i can tell you it ain't so. for starters, it ain't all above tree line.

burger
11-23-2009, 00:57
You can do work-for-stay at the huts, even as a section hiker (I did!). It's fun, and you get a couple of meals and a warm place to stay.