PDA

View Full Version : Blind Courage

everydayhiker
11-22-2009, 17:42
Has anyone ever ready Blind Courage? And is it worth buying? :-?

Peaks
11-22-2009, 18:02
One of many books about the AT that I have read. But this one has been a while. I guess buy or not depends on your point of view.

Phreak
11-22-2009, 18:39
I enjoyed it.

dab48eu
11-22-2009, 19:03
Yes, I enjoyed it but it must be a collectable now. Amazon has them listed for $57(new) and $25(used). You may want to check it out at your library

everydayhiker
11-22-2009, 19:10
Yes, I enjoyed it but it must be a collectable now. Amazon has them listed for $57(new) and $25(used). You may want to check it out at your library

You can get it here for 25 new. Thanks for all the advice. Im gonna check it out.
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=75&compid=1:banana

The Weasel
11-22-2009, 19:12

Yes. Yes.

TW

Lilred
11-22-2009, 19:17
Good book. Read it on a zero day at Mountain Harbor Hostel.

Rain Man
11-22-2009, 19:18
I have an autographed copy. Heard author speak in Gatlinburg one year. I've read it a couple of times, just because I like reading AT books, especially once I have hiked this or that section. He did the hike because he felt God told him to, so he does reference that often in the text. Some folks will like, some will not.

As far as price and where to get a copy, alibris.com is THE place to buy AT books, IMHO.
alibris.com (http://www.alibris.com/booksearch)

They have copies of this book starting at $2.53 (and up to $99 for the foolish).

Rain:sunMan

LIhikers
11-22-2009, 19:55
My wife and I both enjoyed it.
We enjoyed it enjoy to buy the video after reading the book.

Tinker
11-22-2009, 20:39
Yes. Yes, especially if you are a Christian.

If you've hiked some of the rocky trail in Penn. or climbed some of the mountains up north, you can appreciate the difficulty of his hike.
I'd have to say that it was a miracle that he finished without any major injuries (cracked ribs from a fall being the worst).
I had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Irwin as I was preparing to enter the Hundred Mile Wilderness in 2008. He has not had an easy life since the hike, but it has strengthened, rather than weakened his faith.

Mango
11-22-2009, 20:45
Bill Irwin is one of my heroes. I met him several years ago and read BC before I started the AT in '06. The VERY FIRST DAY on the trail I asked myself "How in the hell did Bill Irwin do this?" I could see, and I didn't know where to put my feet on a slick stream crossing. Every time I felt like going home, I thought of Orient Express and kept trudging. What an inspiration! By the way, Zero-Zero (who is also blind) thru'ed in '08 and is planning to do the PCT this year. He promised a book, but haven't heard if it is out yet. BTW, check your local used book store for BC.

TOW
11-22-2009, 20:47
Anything Bill Irwin is worthy of reading or watching.

Blissful
11-22-2009, 21:37
Yes, yes and more yes. :) Great book.

Compass
11-22-2009, 23:21
Yes, yes and more yes. :) Great book.
I agree.

Each hike I come to spots that take looking/examining in several directions to be sure of the right path. Other times you do not see a blaze in a tenth of a mile and start to question yourself turning around to look for blazes in the other direction. I can not imagine hiking all day and not seeing a blaze.

Dogwood
11-22-2009, 23:26

I think anyone who could persevere blind through all the falls that he experienced sometimes alone for 2200 miles through the woods over the mountains on a hiking trail sometimes steep sometimes rocky like Bill Erwin did probably has some GOOD things to relate!!! Don't you think?

If you don't, blindfold yourself and try walking down the block. You might fall. Erwin did some 2000+ times and kept picking himself up and continuing on. What grit!!! Amazing achievement!!! IMO, definitely somone who I would want to listen to even if I could garner just one golden nugget from him!!!

Lugnut
11-23-2009, 00:20
Not everyone believes he really did it.

schnikel
11-23-2009, 16:12
I have read many many books on hiking, climbing, rafting, etc, etc, etc and this was one of my favorite reads ever!
I highly recommend it.
Schnikel

everydayhiker
11-23-2009, 18:25
Thanks everyone for the help. Sounds like it is really worth readying. I will def check it out.

TOW
11-23-2009, 18:27
Not everyone believes he really did it.I do........

donny rudy
11-23-2009, 18:30
You should read "A walk in the woods" its quite detailed.

'And i make my bed with the stars above my head"

TOW
11-23-2009, 18:32
You should read "A walk in the woods" its quite detailed.

'And i make my bed with the stars above my head"Another good read......

everydayhiker
11-23-2009, 18:38
[QUOTE=donny rudy;923939]You should read "A walk in the woods" its quite detailed.

Actually I just read it. Ebook anyway. That was a good book and really funny.:sun

Del Q
11-23-2009, 21:11
My answer is YES. Come on, hiking the AT blind, are you kidding me? I have tried walking 20-30 steps on our local trail with my eyes closed, really tough, inspirational story. Little things like Bill's story has helped me on tough days.

amac
11-24-2009, 10:10
Yes, I couldn't put it down.

weary
11-24-2009, 11:27
I saw in the paper that Bill Irwin spoke at the local senior citizen center a few days ago. I would have gone, if only to check out how blind he really seems to be. Also I like to chat occasionally with long distance hikers.

There's no doubt about his serious sight problems, nor that he hiked most of the trail. But I have talked to a hostel owner who seemed to think Bill had some ability to read print during his long hike. And I've talked to a guy who claims to have ferried Bill around some swollen rivers south of Baxter the year of his hike.

I read his book -- or most of it at Neels Gap in 1993. I've scanned it over since. It's a pretty good book for an amateur writer with what he believes to be a message from God.

I understand that he's involved in some sort of a religious ministry these days.

Weary

Rain Man
11-24-2009, 16:48
I saw in the paper that Bill Irwin spoke at the local senior citizen center a few days ago. I would have gone, if only to check out how blind he really seems to be. ...

There's no doubt about his serious sight problems, nor that he hiked most of the trail. But I have talked to a hostel owner who seemed to think Bill had some ability to read print during his long hike. ...

From his book, pages 23 and 24, "...they decided to remove my left eye as soon as possible..." and "For eight weeks after my eye was removed ...."

Pages 22, 26, and 27 "I have some light perception. If I'm in a dark room and someone turns on a light, I'm aware of it.... I can not see shapes or images." "By 1976, my sight was completely gone." "... with one glass eye and another that was useless."

Anyway, that's what he has to say about it, in writing.

Rain Man