PDA

View Full Version : Ok you have a poncho - did you make the guys?

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2009, 22:27
The guys or tie outs? Unless you are going to throw it over you and have the poncho sit on the face you need to make the guys and have some ti pegs and a few ground hogs. It doesn't weight anything but it does save 45 minutes in a storm. I also found out some nylon strings do not work well with a taunt line hitch as they prove too slippery on some weaves. You need a small glad bag or peg bag for the concrete strings and pegs in your pack.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/tent_004a.jpg

daddytwosticks
11-23-2009, 08:41
Nice pitch...with guy lines that long, maybe-should use the reflective type? My luck, I'd trip over the things on the way to pee at night! :)

brooklynkayak
11-23-2009, 14:11
I also found out some nylon strings do not work well with a taunt line hitch as they prove too slippery on some weaves.

I know what you mean, you can try the taught line hitch variations that ad an extra loop. I ended buying those little line locks that you see used by companies like Tarptent. They are light, work with slippery line and save time(maybe seconds) on setup and tear down.
They also seem to make readjusting from under the tarp easier. Sometimes the taught line hitch can get fiddly with some line materials and require two hands.

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2009, 18:59
Nice pitch...with guy lines that long, maybe-should use the reflective type? My luck, I'd trip over the things on the way to pee at night! :)

I did on general's Tarp - but this Poncho idea would only be used in a pinch emergency. So I used dayglow "weaved" concrete string. it's quite a bit lighter.