PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for my associate degree!!!

Monster13
11-22-2009, 23:38
So I've been lurking around here for a few months now. With my husband's encouragement and concern I'm planning a thru-hike for March 2011. I'm a photography student working towards my associate degree at the moment. When I was researching classes to register for the spring semester I found that I need two physical education credits. So this semester along with my photography and design classes I'll be taking Backpacking & Camping I! :D What a score! :banana

Jim Adams
11-22-2009, 23:47
Nice classes!

geek

jrwiesz
11-23-2009, 05:27
For my associates, I took, "River canoe/camp" class good for 1 physical ed credit. Gotta have more of those great choices for a well rounded education.:sun

Doooglas
11-23-2009, 05:59
So I've been lurking around here for a few months now. With my husband's encouragement and concern I'm planning a thru-hike for March 2011. I'm a photography student working towards my associate degree at the moment. When I was researching classes to register for the spring semester I found that I need two physical education credits. So this semester along with my photography and design classes I'll be taking Backpacking & Camping I! :D What a score! :banana
Ask the college for an honorary doctorate in backpacking after you complete the AT:cool:

One thing I have found from being a businessman.
People who survived the military, have a black belt, or were an Eagle Scout are the ones you immediately hire.
Someone who completed a major through hike, I'm sure, would be another.
Determination over education any day !

Monster13
11-23-2009, 09:22
One thing I have found from being a businessman.
People who survived the military, have a black belt, or were an Eagle Scout are the ones you immediately hire.
Someone who completed a major through hike, I'm sure, would be another.
Determination over education any day !

This is true. I can't help but plan my thru hike as if it is a part of my education.

Spokes
11-23-2009, 09:44
Ever thought about self publishing your best photographs of the trip on lulu.com? It'd sure look good on a resume.

Monster13
11-23-2009, 17:50
Ever thought about self publishing your best photographs of the trip on lulu.com? It'd sure look good on a resume.

Perhaps... I recently purchased a new dslr (a canon t1i) to play with while in school (I'll have to use the minolta 35mm slr for school). I've tossed around the idea of taking the T1i with me when I go on my hike. That was actually one of the big reasons I chose the T1i over the 50D. It's lighter and less expensive...perfect if I'm going to lug the extra weight of that kind of camera around on a trip like a thru hike. I have the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm lens (both canon). I like the 18-55mm, and it's become my walking around lens. If I take it on my hike I think I'll try to find a cheaper, used off brand lens to that equivalent so I don't feel so bad if I screw up a good lens I can use later on my after hike upgrade camera should I need to upgrade. I take care of my stuff, but I don't hold too much hope in the idea of my T1i making it through the trip without any damage.

Disney
11-23-2009, 18:08
There was a guy named Big Camera that hiked this year. He kept a big camera around his neck while hiking. I believe he had some sort of stabalizers which attached the case it to his belt and kept it from swinging around all over the place. If that's your thing, you should consider it. I'm sure there are people that know more than I do on the subject. As for what kind of camera it was, I'm not sure. It was big.

Disney
11-23-2009, 18:09
If you are going to do this, make sure you post a link on the website so we can follow you. High quality pictures are always appreciated.

Monster13
11-24-2009, 00:50
If you are going to do this, make sure you post a link on the website so we can follow you. High quality pictures are always appreciated.

...but of course!

Hoot
11-24-2009, 04:52
or-kid you're the sort of person ive been looking for!

I'll be starting after you since im shooting for a april firstish date to begin my hike but am planning this hike for the opprtunities it'll privide to photograph. in fact Spokes suggestion of using lulu.com to self publish after the hike was something i was already planning on doing myself.

ive been really hoping to find someone else who'd be on the trail with similer interests- not just the journey itself, but the veiws to be shot along the way, i really want to plan my hike around my shooting, in fact other than getting to Maine, everything else will be secondary.. eh, ok, besides avoiding injuries everything else will be secondary.. :)

As the time gets nearer i'd love to compare thoughts on the hike with a fellow shooter, especialy in regards to gear weight, locations to spend extra time at shooting, what method of starage of images you'l use... ect..

Monster13
11-24-2009, 09:43
or-kid you're the sort of person ive been looking for!

I'll be starting after you since im shooting for a april firstish date to begin my hike but am planning this hike for the opprtunities it'll privide to photograph. in fact Spokes suggestion of using lulu.com to self publish after the hike was something i was already planning on doing myself.

ive been really hoping to find someone else who'd be on the trail with similer interests- not just the journey itself, but the veiws to be shot along the way, i really want to plan my hike around my shooting, in fact other than getting to Maine, everything else will be secondary.. eh, ok, besides avoiding injuries everything else will be secondary.. :)

As the time gets nearer i'd love to compare thoughts on the hike with a fellow shooter, especialy in regards to gear weight, locations to spend extra time at shooting, what method of starage of images you'l use... ect..

Awesome! :D I'd love to compare notes! It's too bad you're starting around April. Maybe you'll catch up to me though. I tend to be a slowish hiker and I like to stop to smell the roses and get a good look around. I get what you mean by everything being secondary to Maine. Katahdin's my goal, but the journey will be what will make it sweet! My plan is to really document the whole thing! I want to be able to share it with my dad and have him feel like he was actually there with me! :D He's my biggest fan when it comes to my photography, so that's definitely the best route for me to go!

Hoop Time
11-25-2009, 10:19
Perhaps... I recently purchased a new dslr (a canon t1i) to play with while in school (I'll have to use the minolta 35mm slr for school).

That is ludicrous. Teaching photography students to use film these days is like teaching auto mechanics how to shoe a horse. Nobody uses film anymore. At our paper, we don't even have a darkroom. They tore it out years ago.

Monster13
11-25-2009, 11:29
That is ludicrous. Teaching photography students to use film these days is like teaching auto mechanics how to shoe a horse. Nobody uses film anymore. At our paper, we don't even have a darkroom. They tore it out years ago.

You're preaching to the choir here! I think it will be nice to learn...fascinating really, but they focus on film...which isn't what I'm going to focus on in my career. That's the main reason I went ahead and got the digital slr. The basic photography skills I can go ahead and transfer to digital and practice with the canon while learning it on the minolta in school. But I'm only working on my associate now. This semester I'm actually at UTSA (one of the four year schools here the community college feeds into), but I'm transferring to the community college to finish out my associate (closer, cheaper, etc.), and then I'll worry about finding a school that has a digital photography bachelor program. The degree is more for my husband and parent's piece of mind, but to me the degree is just a piece of paper. There are digital photography classes offered at an art gallery/studio here that I'm looking into for after my thru-hike. Those wouldn't count towards any degree though...

My goal is to eventually become my own boss, so I'm more concerned about what I actually know...not what a piece of paper says I should know.