PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Cold Feet

FritztheCat
11-23-2009, 16:44
This past weekend I did a section of the AT and the temps got pretty cold at night. I was snug in my sleeping bag with the exception of my feet. I ended up putting on 4 pairs of wool socks but my feet were still cold.

During the day my feet were fine and I didn't have a problem until I climbed in my sleeping bag.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to keep feet warm in cold temperatures? I've looked into the feet warmer things but they are designed to be inside boots with no air circulation so I figured they wouldn't work in this case.

Thanks for any input!

whitelightning
11-23-2009, 16:56
heat some water before bedtime. pour it in a water bottle with a good seal (like a nalgene). put it in the footbox of sleeping bag. not only will this help keep your feet warm, you'll have some water that isn't frozen to use the next morning.

Compass
11-23-2009, 17:45
If your socks are tight at all they can restrict circulation. Normally gravity helps when standing. Four pairs could really cause a restriction.

If you are cold when you go to bed down (which is the reason some decide to before being tired) the last thing to warm up will be your feet. Try not to go to bed cold. Do not wait to layer up in the evenings.

Another cause is a pad that is to thin which will cause you to loose heat to the ground and not allow you to be fully warm especially pressure points like your but(cold but syndrone or CBS). Because of the pressure some people do not realise there toosh was a little chilled. With CBS your upper torso could be warm to hot but have cold feet.

Lastly, try rapping a jacket around your feet so they can share what warmth they have and fill the foot box of your bag. A roomey foot box is nice in the summer but has a lot of area to loose heat. When my daghter use to use my extra long bag I would fold the extra lenght under her legs.

Jester2000
11-23-2009, 17:58
I second the hot water bottle idea. Also, you could do some jumping jacks or other exercises before jumping into the bag to get the blood circulating. Make sure the footbox of your bag isn't too large.

You could also get pair of Big Agnes Mountain Booties if nothing else works for you.

white_russian
11-23-2009, 17:58
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html

The benefit of these over other booties is you can remove the outer shell so you can wear them to bed. Also you can wash the shell regularly and not be worried about all the fuss that comes with cleaning down.

Six-Six
11-23-2009, 18:01
I had similar issues until I put a jacket at the footbox. Being tall, I always pushed my feet into the zipper in my sleep, creating the least insulated spot in the bag right where my feet needed the warmth the most.

Disney
11-23-2009, 18:03
I third the Nalgene idea.

I used damn near boiling water and it kept my feet warm the entire night. You can even throw in some tea bags if that's your thing (it's mine). That way you have some delicious heavily steeped tea in the morning.

On another (more extreme survivalist) note. Build a huge fire on frozen ground. Spread the coals out and cover with dirt. Sleep on top of dirt covered coals.

FritztheCat
11-23-2009, 18:03
Thanks for the quick replies! My socks are usually actually pretty tight so Compass, you may have a great point. I may have to take a pair of loose fitting socks and see if that helps. I have a down mummy bag that has a decent size foot box but I don't think of it as large. I also like the waterbottle ideas.

Mountain Booties, eh? I'm going to Google 'em and check them out.

Thanks!

white_russian
11-23-2009, 18:08
I used damn near boiling water and it kept my feet warm the entire night. You can even throw in some tea bags if that's your thing (it's mine). That way you have some delicious heavily steeped tea in the morning.
And if it is that cold you could pack some fresh cream for the tea without it going bad.

Lyle
11-23-2009, 18:08
I agree with all that has been said so far. Will only add, that if the simpler (cheaper)remedies fail, the down booties will allow you to sleep with toasty feet!!! The ultimate comfort solution in very cold weather.

The Old Fhart
11-23-2009, 19:39
Socks that are too tight can be a problem as others have said. There is also an old saying: "if your feet are cold, put on a hat", and that may also help. Another suggestion is to make sure you have a good meal before you go to bed. In winter you can increase the amount of fat in your diet as fats 'burn' more slowly and will keep you warm longer. Also make sure you're hydrated when you go to bed because if you don't drink enough your blood will become more viscous and carry less oxygen and heat to your extremities.

mikec
11-23-2009, 19:46
I usually throw an iron oxide hand warmer down into the foot of my sleeping bag when it is cold. It usually does the trick.

Chaco Taco
11-23-2009, 20:10
Look at the ground too. If you are not on flat ground, you may be loosing extra circulation. i find that if I elevate my feet for a bit, it helps. Also, if you wear socks, make sore they are loose fitting.

bfree
11-23-2009, 20:31
This one is free, uses no fuel, does not risk a spill in the bag, and it works - always. It will even work when your stove will not.
Next time you are at Walmart get two produce bags - before you snuggle into sleeping bag at night, remove your socks, put bare feet in produce bags, put sock back on. Got to sleep. Wake up. Remove socks and produce bag, dry feet and put socks back on.
Another use is for nasty wet cold days when the feet are hurting bad - put bare feet in loner socks, then in produce bags, put on hiking socks, put socked feet in another produce bag, put boots on and walk, walk, walk.
This has always worked for me - the vapor barrier idea I got off this and other boards, the produce bags are hootyhoo's cheap way of getting the job done.

elray
11-23-2009, 20:40
I'm chiming in in favor of the down booties. My wife was miserable until she bought a pair of these and they weigh nothing. Good Luck.

Egads
11-23-2009, 21:21
down booties :)

bigcranky
11-23-2009, 22:05
Down booties are a big help.

Also, I carry a small section of closed cell foam as a sit pad. On cold nights I put it *inside* my sleeping bag under my feet. This adds a surprising amount of insulation and helps keep my feet warm.

FritztheCat
11-23-2009, 22:41
I really appreciate the replies!! I'm going to try the plastic bag on the feet with loose fitting socks over that. I also have a section of my closed cell foam pad that I use as a seat and will try bigcranky's idea. I figure this will cost me nothing and is worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, then it looks like down booties may be the way to go.

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations!

Chaco Taco
11-23-2009, 22:45
huh huh, bootie

TimeSnake
11-23-2009, 23:35
Throw your fleece or base layer at the foot of your bag, make sure the fleece is under your feet. wrap your feet up with the fleece if you want, endless possibilities.

peter_pan
11-24-2009, 21:17
JRB down sleeves turn any vest into a jacket... At night the excell as sleep socks.

Pan

LIhikers
11-24-2009, 21:57
This past weekend I did a section of the AT and the temps got pretty cold at night. I was snug in my sleeping bag with the exception of my feet. I ended up putting on 4 pairs of wool socks but my feet were still cold.

Thanks for any input!

You did take off the socks you spent the day hiking in, right?
If not, that could be the problem because the socks will be damp, even if they don't feel like it.

LIhikers
11-24-2009, 22:01
I've used the Feathered Friends down booties on a couple of winter camping trips in northern MN where the night time temperatures went to 25 below. The booties, along with dry socks, kept my feet happy!

FritztheCat
11-24-2009, 23:28
If not, that could be the problem because the socks will be damp, even if they don't feel like it.

Now that you mention it, no, I didn't. Doh! They didn't *feel* damp but they probably were. I've got a plan I'm going to try next weekend at the Devil's Marbleyard so we'll see how that pans out. I really hope it works because I don't do enough cold hiking (yet) to justify to myself the expense of down booties.

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 23:36
Those booties look awesome!!!

Lyle
11-25-2009, 12:19
Now that you mention it, no, I didn't. Doh! They didn't *feel* damp but they probably were. I've got a plan I'm going to try next weekend at the Devil's Marbleyard so we'll see how that pans out. I really hope it works because I don't do enough cold hiking (yet) to justify to myself the expense of down booties.

If you want to try out booties, REI has them on sale now for $19.99 - 33% off. Not the best or the lightest, but you can always upgrade and use these around the house if they work out for you.

http://www.rei.com/product/772100

Compass
11-25-2009, 17:02
In an emergency if you need to get your feet warm trapping moisture to avoid evaporation heat loss can be a good thing in the short term.

At the end of a day of hiking my feet need rest and a chance to dry/air out. To make miles the next day dry feet resist foot care issues from blisters to trenchfoot.

mudhead
11-25-2009, 18:07
Socks that are too tight can be a problem as others have said. There is also an old saying: "if your feet are cold, put on a hat", and that may also help. Another suggestion is to make sure you have a good meal before you go to bed. In winter you can increase the amount of fat in your diet as fats 'burn' more slowly and will keep you warm longer. Also make sure you're hydrated when you go to bed because if you don't drink enough your blood will become more viscous and carry less oxygen and heat to your extremities.

All good.

Cheese is the answer.:)

Full length closed cell pad?

Clean dry thick wool sleeping socks. Not CoolMax.

An oddball-Don't push against the foot of your bag. Compresses insulation.

Tuckahoe
11-25-2009, 18:49

Man, beat me to it! The single best solution to being cold is to change your clothes, or atleast the clothing that you are wearing nearest to your skin. Get out of it, and into those that you have allowed to dry and air out.

Jester2000
11-25-2009, 19:14
Cheese is the answer.:)

You've said a mouthful! A mouthful of cheese! Is there any better bedtime snack? Snack? Make it a meal! Keep those cheesy fires burning all night long! Cheesy feet = warm feet! Cheesetastic!

mudhead
11-25-2009, 19:38
I had the Knack cranked in the truck today, and ever since that post I have had "cheese is the answer" bouncing around in my head. Glad I could count on you to rise to the cheese.

Morning Glory
11-25-2009, 21:26
I second the water bottle thing. However, I go one more step. I stick the water bottle in a sock. This keeps the water in the bottle warm much longer and it also keeps it from being too hot. I've done this numerous times and it works like a charm.

drifters quest
11-27-2009, 17:26
I have a major cold fingers and toes issue when I camp. The only thing ive found so far that works is to put on a pair of wool socks, then shove hot hands down another pair of socks and put those on. I also found if i keep my toes warm my fingers usually stay pretty comfortable too.

FritztheCat
12-06-2009, 22:19
This one is free, uses no fuel, does not risk a spill in the bag, and it works - always. It will even work when your stove will not.
Next time you are at Walmart get two produce bags - before you snuggle into sleeping bag at night, remove your socks, put bare feet in produce bags, put sock back on. Got to sleep. Wake up. Remove socks and produce bag, dry feet and put socks back on.
Another use is for nasty wet cold days when the feet are hurting bad - put bare feet in loner socks, then in produce bags, put on hiking socks, put socked feet in another produce bag, put boots on and walk, walk, walk.
This has always worked for me - the vapor barrier idea I got off this and other boards, the produce bags are hootyhoo's cheap way of getting the job done.

I tried this method this weekend on a hike to Devil's Marbleyard. The temps got down to the high teens, low 20's and it was so cold the water I poured in my cup for coffee started freezing before I could place it on the stove to boil.

Anyway, I took two grocery bags, put one on each foot and then loose fitting socks over that and my feet stayed nice and warm all night! I was really shocked to be honest.

Thanks again for everyone who offered ideas!

Slack-jawed Trog
12-06-2009, 23:25
Hey now, Fritz!

In addition to all the other good advice, the one bit I didn't see is: do you wear a hat to bed? On a cold night, all the other things I do don't keep me warm all the way to morning as much as my fleece balaclava.

YMMV,

Tinker
12-06-2009, 23:42
heat some water before bedtime. pour it in a water bottle with a good seal (like a nalgene). put it in the footbox of sleeping bag. not only will this help keep your feet warm, you'll have some water that isn't frozen to use the next morning.
I use a stainless bottle in the winter and put it next to the fire before going to bed at night (where allowed). I have an insulated holder on my pack waistbelt that I take off and bring to bed with me with the bottle inside. The water is not only warm but usually fairly hot in the morning which is good for a quick breakfast even if using an alcohol stove.

Treefingers
12-07-2009, 16:21
I've used Integral Designs hot socks with great success when it is cold out... they weigh 4 oz are filled with primaloft or something similar. i never tend to wear socks in my sleeping bag due to the constriction issue mentioned above. I find that even with one pair of sockes on it cuts down on the circulation in my feet rendering them cold. Also, it is important to eat a hearty meal with substantial calories including a fair amount of calories that are derived from fat. The more you eat before you sleep the warmer you will be and your tummy will be happy too.

Manwich
12-07-2009, 16:25
I've got an aluminum sigg bottle i put boiling water in. I seal it up and i put it's Fleece Insulator around it. Throw it at my feet. By 3-4am, if it's gotten cold, I'll pour the water out then (no joke...) pee in the bottle, then put it back at my feet. That'll keep them warm until 6am when it's wakeup time

ASUGrad
12-08-2009, 10:26
Try sleeping without socks. They restrict blood flow. Zip up your coat and put it around the bottom of your sleeping bag.

mweinstone
12-08-2009, 10:48
isotonics is the exsercize of tightening and loosening muscles without moveing around. flex your every muscel in your bag over and over till your warm. about 2 minutes. getting up to do warming exsersizes is the wrong approch. isotonics is harder than say, jogging in place or jumping jack tarlins because its mentaly hard to flex much more than a few muscel groups at one time. but with concentration, one learns to flex almost all the groups in a weird rythem of spastic flinching that acheives warmth more efficiently than anything short of bobcat.

whcobbs
12-08-2009, 17:39
bfree--
Yeah, for feet the vapor barrier idea works great. Feet don't generate much heat, they are often damp, and even insensible loss is a substantial contributor to heat deficit. I have two foot size silnylon stuff sacs for vapor barriers. In the pack one holds my insulated pants, the other the sleeping bag cover; on my feet, they go under polypro liner socks, with insulated "frost bite preventers" over. The fb preventers are just Primaloft insulated stuff sacs, with draw strings, easy to make and also useful to insulate water bottles, hands or whatever. Cheap and lightweight.
Walt

rjridgely
12-08-2009, 18:01
in the NH white mts, I usually slept with wigwam "canada" hvy wool blend sock & down booties....temps between -5 to -30 F.

my brother stuffed his socks with 8 hour hand warmers.

he slept much more 'cold' than I did

Mags
12-08-2009, 18:05
I may have missed it..but is the OP wearing a hat to bed?

An old Inuit saying "When your feet are cold, cover your head"

:)

Fatman Running
12-09-2009, 17:25
I do a lot of winter camping and have had my share of cold feet. Best advise is to make sure your feet are dry after your hike. Use a thin pair of poly socks and then a vapor barrier like bread bags or nylon stuff bags over the liners. Then put on a pair of wool socks and you should be all set. Dry feet are happy feet. The vapor barriers will hold in your bodys heat and moisture and even though there will be some dampness, the liner will help to keep your feet dry. I use a vapor barrier in my sleeping bag, as well, and this can add 10-15 degrees of additional warmth as well as keep the bag dry from your bodys moisture. A trash bag under your clothes works on the cheap as well. Just make sure to have a thin layer (polypropylene) between you and the bag. And for us hard core winter hikers, no bed is complete without the nightly pee bottle. This will keep your feet warm, too when placed at the bottom of your bag after your 2am relief awakening.

FritztheCat
12-09-2009, 17:43
I may have missed it..but is the OP wearing a hat to bed?

An old Inuit saying "When your feet are cold, cover your head"

:)

Mags, yep. I wear a merino wool cap.

mkmangold
12-10-2009, 01:45
Anyway, I took two grocery bags, put one on each foot and then loose fitting socks over that and my feet stayed nice and warm all night! I was really shocked to be honest.

Paper or plastic? Just kidding. If you are hypertensive, switch to Hytrin.