PDA

View Full Version : Frozen eggs

bfree
11-23-2009, 20:20
What will happen when my eggs freeze? Are they still useable? Waht to do with frozen eggs?

everydayhiker
11-23-2009, 20:23
I have seen a videos one time that someone froze their eggs. It wasnt in the shell but they had it in a water container. They cooked it when it thawed out. So I dont see anything. Just so they are not to old.

Old Grouse
11-23-2009, 20:25
Sometimes in winter I don't get home to collect that day's eggs from my chickens until evening, and they're frozen. Once they thaw I don't notice any difference. Of course that's just one day - I don't know how they'd be if frozen for a longer period.

warraghiyagey
11-23-2009, 20:27
What will happen when my eggs freeze? Are they still useable? Waht to do with frozen eggs?
The company should have factored that in before you decide to fertilize them. . .

saimyoji
11-23-2009, 21:51

i've had eggs freeze and the shells always cracked. :-?

JokerJersey
11-23-2009, 22:56
I'd imagine you'd do the same with a frozen egg that you'd do with a frozen chicken....thaw it, cook it, and eat it.

Why are you freezing eggs in the first place? If you want them to last longer, it might be simpler to hard boil them and then freeze them.

If you want scrambled eggs or an omelet on the trail, just use Egg Beaters or something like that. Its an egg substitute that comes in a carton kinda like a milk carton. Freeze that and you can avoid carrying eggs and the worry of freezing them.

I've heard omelets lend themselves really well to freezer bag cooking. There was a recipe kicking around here somewhere that I'm sure you can find if you are interested.

Skidsteer
11-24-2009, 00:30
Why are you freezing eggs in the first place? If you want them to last longer, it might be simpler to hard boil them and then freeze them.

I think bfree is asking about inadvertent freezing-like hiking in freezing temps with whole eggs in your pack.

Tin Man
11-24-2009, 00:30
I always carry eggs and have tried the various methods:

1) frozen eggs, cracked open at home and frozen in freezer bags. ***.

2) freeze dried eggs. barf.

3) egg beaters. more ***.

4) eggs packed in a egg caddy. yummy.

Tin Man
11-24-2009, 00:32

1) frozen eggs, cracked open at home and frozen in freezer bags. u*c*k.

3) egg beaters. more U*C*K.

Can't say u*c*k i guess

Rain Man
11-24-2009, 16:38

Good question. I'm glad you asked as I'll be interested in the answers.

I'm planning on taking eggs on the family hike north of Grayson Highlands this weekend. Supposed to be in the 20s at night. They might freeze if I leave them out (the eggs, not the family!). Might just put them in a pot and into the bottom of my sleeping bag, with my shoes. Won't freeze that way. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Seeker
11-24-2009, 20:23
they'll be fine.

buddy of mine from alaska said they used to crack and beat a dozen or so, stick them in a thermos bottle, stick it in the freezer with the stopper out, cork it, and as it melted over the course of a week's trip, had fresh eggs for breakfast every morning... of course, alaska's a bit cooler than the AT most of the time, but you get the idea.

anyone ever tried dehydrating an omelet?

srestrepo
12-07-2009, 02:41
no, dehydrating an omelet, but i did crack 3 eggs and cut up some hot dogs, tomatoes, onions and peppers and poured all of it in a 12 ounce water bottle, froze it and had eggs the next morning in the field... cooked that up wrapped in a tortilla, some cheddar cheese and some "borrowed" hot sauce from taco bell and i'm in heaven...

Gray Blazer
12-07-2009, 15:22
I don't know about freezing, but, if you want to keep them from freezing, those thermal bags work well. I had 4 dozen in a thermal bag for three days and it went down to about 10 at night and never got above freezing during the days.

FlyPaper
12-07-2009, 15:55

1) frozen eggs, cracked open at home and frozen in freezer bags. ***.

3) egg beaters. more ***.

The last few hikes I've carried fresh eggs and scrambled them for breakfast. I guess the container they're carried in is called an "egg caddy" as you say. Eggs can generally last a week without being refrigerated. Even when hiking in August I haven't had any eggs go bad. Caution: they're heavy compared to most other food. But hey, you're body needs protein, and eggs are very tasty on the trail.

In the past, I tried freeze dried eggs. I agree, they're aweful. I'll never take them again.