PDA

View Full Version : GSI Dualist, Soloist + MSR pocket Rocket

tuswm
11-24-2009, 03:18
I tried searching the whole forum but was unable to find the answer to specific questions about the GSI Dualist. I searched GSI.com and REI.com but even the reviews didn’t specifically say so I thought I would post it here.....
many of these so called "cooking systems" only fit the smallest of the canister stoves and the smallest sized canisters.
But I already have a pocket rocket (like every other piece of hiker trash I know) and its not space saving if, taking enough fuel means your canister doesn’t fit inside you "cooking system".
What is the fist piece of backpacking gear everyone gets....a MSR pocket rocket its been around since before most of the people reading this, its still light, its common, its sold everywhere, its not over priced, it has a sold rep, its even got a cool name. Its the standard, its the svea 123 of canister stoves..... stoves don’t get much lighter but they do get a good bit smaller now. MSR pocket rockets don’t fit in many of the other so called "cooking systems"
So I went to REI with my birthday gift card to check out the dualist for trips with the GF. If it didn’t fit with the PR it was no use to me. But to my surprise it was like it was designed around the PR. There is a small black bag that comes with the dualist to protect the plastic bowls from he metal stoves. It is the perfect size and shape for the PR. Also the whole system seams to be the smallest possible size to accommodate the PR and the standard canister, any smaller and they just would not fit.
In my dualist I was able to fit everything it comes with and with a little effort..........
a normal sized canister 227g IIRC
a pocket rocket
a mini bic lighter
a mini micro fiber wash cloth
Other observations about the GSI “cooking systems”
@We took the dualist out for its first weekend and just like the reviews said on REI the foons broke the first night. I was able to get them back together but they SUCK!!! The foons are so bad its like GSI was insulting me.
@My friend had the solo and we were able to fit the standard canister and pocket rocket in with the lid shut. He had it for a year and never even tried it. go figure?!
@The non stick works great at least when new
@Angel hair pasta clogs the small strainer on the lid
@The ceramic coating really does help distribute the heat. We tested it against last years version with out the ceramic coating and could clearly see the difference when boiling water by the location of bubbles on the bottom of the pot.
@ the carrying case does hold water for now.
@the ugly cups and bowls are MUCH more stable when you are not cooking on a table
@ The sippy tops for drinks also keep them hotter longer
@ 21 oz
@the handle on the pot is almost perfect. Perfect when cooking but becomes unstable when swirling water in a circle when cleaning or trying to mix or stir. For example the handle on the MSR Reactor is perfect for that but doesn’t lock down so that is only almost perfect as well.
Conclusion 1:I like larger pots, and I like cooking, and its nice having all the cups and bowls, but I would pay more if it was lighter.
Conclusion 2: Well you know that gear that you have that you saw on sale and thought why not? Then you found out why it was on sale? Well this is a lot better. You know those pieces of gear that just never gets left behind, even though you have replacements? For some of you it’s a nalgene, or a sigg bottle. For my GF its MY MH wind stopper tech fleece. For me its my Gerber pocket knife, my osprey pack, a bic lighter, my black MH hat w/ ears and my MH cargo pants w/ zip off legs and patches from fire holes and battle scars from crashes all held together by 27 colors and flavors of various dental floss samples. You know the type of gear I am talking about? Well this is good but it not that good, not even close.

Hikes with a stick
11-24-2009, 08:33
You might have better luck looking for info on www.gsioutdoors.com (http://www.gsioutdoors.com). www.gsi.com (http://www.gsi.com) is a website for Gerber Scientific, I don't think they sell camping gear....

Manwich
11-24-2009, 09:03
I use the Soloist, and I put:

a 3.5oz Canister,
the Pocket Rocket,
a Sea-To-Summit X-Cup Collapsable Silicone Cup,
a slightly bent Snow Peak Titanium Spork,
Bic Lighter,
6"x6" Shamwow for Dishwashing,
3-4 packets of propel or applecider mix
small container of soap

all in the soloist... with the top on... and that's good for 3-4 night trips. It isn't earthshaking to throw a second 3.5oz canister somewhere in my pack.

I took the Handle off and bent it "outward" so it's much more stable.

Also, I flip the "Water Container" inside out... it makes it much easier to slide it in and out (if you bring it.) After over a years worth of use (I got mine in August 08) the thing still holds water... but I don't use it for dishwashing, I just use it to hold water if i want to transfer some out for some reason.

tuswm
01-14-2010, 00:34
UPDATE:
MSR winsperlite also fits inside but the fuel bottle and wind screen dont fit inside.

I also figured out that the handle can come off so you can put it in the fire and not burn the handle coating off.

The non stick coating works so well that pasta can burn black and not stick at all.

This set is growing on me, having all the cups and bowls are nice.

But be warned dont let water freeze in the stuff sack. Its hard to get out.

tuswm
01-14-2010, 01:00
sorry I ment the MSR simmerlite

Edie
06-13-2010, 10:13
I bought the pinnacle microdualist and my two soda can stoves fits in each of the bowls. I"m looking for a squeeze bottle that will fit in also to hold my alcohol fuel. Or is it a bad idea to stove your fuel in your bowls?

SMSP
09-29-2010, 09:56
I have the Soloist. On the outside of the pot below the handle is a diagram of how to stack everything together. The stove that is represented in the diagram is obviously the outline of a Pocket Rocket.

SMSP

jeepcachr
10-21-2010, 21:46
I have a dualist and a soloist, I like them both a lot. I wish the microdualist was available when I bought my dualist, that would be just about perfect I think.

tuswm
03-14-2011, 01:53
I have the Soloist. On the outside of the pot below the handle is a diagram of how to stack everything together. The stove that is represented in the diagram is obviously the outline of a Pocket Rocket.

SMSP

I have recently switched to the snow peak giga for a few reasons.

wider flame for real cooking
folds up smaller = easier to pack
more durable
self lighting
and with the coating on the pot I can cook pizza from scratch and cook the outside with out burning the center and get it out of the put with out it getting stuck to the bottom.

But I still think the MSR PR is still a better stove but its just too hard to get in the pot all the time. its a tight fit.

But still the more I use the Dualist the more I like it and the more other stuff gets left at home. I do with there was a Ti version with thinner plastic cups and bowls. It could be made lighter. and I also with it had a metal lid to use as a fry pan.

tuswm
03-14-2011, 01:53

SMSP

I have recently switched to the snow peak giga for a few reasons.

wider flame for real cooking
folds up smaller = easier to pack
more durable
self lighting
and with the coating on the pot I can cook pizza from scratch and cook the outside with out burning the center and get it out of the put with out it getting stuck to the bottom.

But I still think the MSR PR is still a better stove but its just too hard to get in the pot all the time. its a tight fit.

But still the more I use the Dualist the more I like it and the more other stuff gets left at home. I do with there was a Ti version with thinner plastic cups and bowls. It could be made lighter. and I also with it had a metal lid to use as a fry pan.