Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!
Happy Thanksgiving

Manwich
11-24-2009, 08:43
Here's me giving thanks for the thanks giving message.

everydayhiker
11-24-2009, 09:15
Thank you, Have a wonderful turkey day!

Lyle
11-24-2009, 11:27
I received this from a hiking friend the other day. Not specific to hiking, but a nice thought:

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, 'How was the trip?'

'It was great, Dad.'

'Did you see how poor people live?' the father asked.

'Oh yeah,' said the son.

'So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?' asked the father

The son answered: 'I saw that we have one dog and they had four.

We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.

We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night.

Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.

We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.

We buy our food, but they grow theirs.

We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them.'

The boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, 'Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are.'

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have. Appreciate every single thing you have, especially your friends! 'Life is too short and friends are too few.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....

the goat
11-24-2009, 11:37
happy thanksgiving E-Z!

Deadeye
11-24-2009, 13:24
ILord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....

Nice fable. I'm not a religious person, but I do like that last line!

Summit
11-24-2009, 13:40
As President, on October 3, 1789, George Washington made the following proclamation and created the first Thanksgiving Day designated by the national government of the United States of America:

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness. Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks, for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war, for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.
And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.Whatever your religious conviction, or lack thereof, it is my hope that you all take time to be thankful, not for material things that are so temporary, but for friends, family, and love that transcend time.

Blessings,
Summit

Lone Wolf
11-24-2009, 13:44
i'm thankful and lucky to be alive. 9 months ago me and death went a few rounds

Pacific Tortuga
11-24-2009, 13:59
I'm not thankful enough. Take too many things for granted. Need to change that.

Blissful
11-24-2009, 14:26

Yes, this is really good. Thanks for the reminder.

wrongway_08
11-24-2009, 15:09
Happy Turkey Day!!

JAK
11-24-2009, 20:35
AT THE YELLOW OF THE LEAF.

The falling leaf is at the door ;
The autumn wind is on the hill ;
Footsteps I have heard before
Loiter at my cabin sill.

Full of crimsom and of gold
Is the morning in the leaves ;
And a stillness pure and cold
Hangs about the frosty eaves.

The mysterious autumn haze
Steals across the blue ravine,
Like an Indian ghost that strays
Through his olden lost demense.

Now the goldenrod invades
Every clearing in the hills ;
The dry glow of August fades,
And the lonely cricket shrills.

Yes, by every trace and sign
the good roving days are here.
Mountain peak and river line
Float the scarlet of the year.

Lovelier than ever now
is the world I love so well.
Running water, waving bough,
And the bright wind's magic spell

Rouse the taint of migrant blood
With the fever of the road, ---
Impulse older than the flood
Lurking in its last abode.

Did I once pursue your way,
Little brothers of the air,
Folowing the vernal ray ?
Did I learn my roving there ?

Was it on your long Spring tides,
Little brothers of the sea,
In the dim and peopled tides,
That I learned this vagrancy ?

Now the yellow of the leaf
Bids away by hill and plain,
I shall say good-bye to grief,
Wayfellow with joy again.

The glamour of the open door
Is on me and I would be gone, ---
Speak with truth or speak no more,
House with beauty or with none.

Great and splendid, near and far,
Lies the province of desire ;
Love the only silver star,
Its discoverers require.

I shall lack nor tent nor food,
Nor companion in the way,
For the kindly solitude
Will provide for me to-day.

Few enough have been my needs ;
Fewer now they are to be ;
Where the faintest follow leads,
There is heart's content for me.

Leave the bread upon the board ;
Leave the book beside the chair ;
With the murmur of the ford,
Light of spirit I shall fare.

Leave the latch-string in the door,
And the pile of logs to burn ;
Others may be here before
I have leisure to return.

- Bliss Carmen

TOW
11-24-2009, 21:16
I am glad you are alive as well and I hope that you live and continual to be a testament to others of the willingness to survive........

TOW
11-24-2009, 21:26
T is for the trust the pilgrims had so many years ago
H is for the harvest the settlers learnt to grow
A is for America, the land in which we live
N is for nature and beauty which she gives
K is for kindness, gentle words, thoughtful deeds
S is for smiles, the sunshine everyone needs
G is for gratitude... our blessings big and small
I is for ideas, letting wisdom grow tall
V is for voices, singing, laughing, always caring
I is for Indians, who taught them about sharing
N is for neighbors, across the street, over the sea
G is for giving of myself to make a better me
by Judith.A. Lindberg

JoshStover
11-24-2009, 21:42
I received this from a hiking friend the other day. Not specific to hiking, but a nice thought:

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, 'How was the trip?'

'It was great, Dad.'

'Oh yeah,' said the son.

We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.

We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them.'

The boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, 'Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are.'

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have. Appreciate every single thing you have, especially your friends! 'Life is too short and friends are too few.

Wow. That is great! I had to email to a few family members and they to thought it was wonderful! Thanks for the great post...

Spogatz
11-24-2009, 22:34
I am thankful for one more good year on two legs.....

mrc237
11-25-2009, 12:56

Cupla left hooks and you survived another round. Hopeful we both go the distance.

Maddog
11-25-2009, 12:58
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Lone Wolf
11-25-2009, 12:59
Cupla left hooks and you survived another round. Hopeful we both go the distance.

we're tough for a coupla fat bastids! how you doin'?

Cookerhiker
11-25-2009, 13:06

'It was great, Dad.'

'Oh yeah,' said the son.

Wonderful quote Lyle - thanks.

I wish all WBers a Thbaksgiving filled with joy, gratitude, and wonder.

StarLyte
11-25-2009, 13:15

I think that is quite normal PT, and so are you :sun I hope I see you again real soon.

Thanks for thread starter E-Z, and it was great seeing you last month.

I'm glad you're still here with us Lone Wolf, you're an educator in many ways.

harryfred
11-25-2009, 13:29
Thanks for reminding me to quit focusing on what I have lost, and being thankful for what God has given me and what he has done for me. I have been blessed beyond what I deserve and may you all be also.

Dancer
11-25-2009, 14:40
I'm thankful for my many friends (hikers and non-hikers), my family, my Hooch, my health, my job and my life. Its been a long time since I have been so happy and optimist.

Ron Haven
11-25-2009, 21:59
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.After tomorrow is Christmas season.

chiefduffy
11-26-2009, 05:49
Happy Thanksgiving to all my hiker buds. One of the (many) things I'm thankful for is that you won that match, Lone Wolf.
Excuse me, it's time to start EATING!

- Duffy

Rain Man
11-30-2009, 14:53
I'm thankful I was away from the Internet on Thanksgiving and instead was hiking on the AT with my family! On Thanksgiving Day we hiked from Grayson Highlands State Park (Massie Gap) to Wise Shelter in the snow. My kids got to pet the ponies. Also hiked the next two days. Just got back last night.

And we are especially thankful to fellow WhiteBlazer SawnieRobertson for all her help and advice and shuttling us!

Rain:sunMan

DrRichardCranium
11-30-2009, 16:09
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant
Walk right in it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railroad track
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant!
:banana

mudhead
11-30-2009, 16:16
Except for Alice.

Spogatz
12-01-2009, 00:33
Look out for those 8 by 10 glossy color photos with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on the back explaining each one in detail.