PDA

View Full Version : Gg Nimbus Meridian

Codger
11-24-2009, 09:57
Looking for pros and cons. Will be using for section hikes on th AT.

Thanks

Deadeye
11-24-2009, 10:13
I've had a few GG packs, and my primary pack is GG Latitude Vapor.

Pros:
very comfortable if the nimbus frame fits your curves (it doens't fit mine, so I stuck with the Vapor frame)
zipper access is handy, you don't have to dig from the top
durable

cons:
GG packs are hot on your back

that's my opinion, YMMV

Kerosene
11-24-2009, 10:28
I've used the GG Nimbus Ozone since 2003 for section hikes that total perhaps 2 months of hiking.

I've really liked it, especially as my total pack weight is rarely above the mid-20s and the NO can lug 35-40 pounds if needed, so it rides very nicely. I haven't had any problems with excessive heat build-up, but I generally hike in the cooler months.

I've looked at the Meridian variant several times and would love to have zipper access to the bottom or middle of the pack, but I haven't been willing to add another half pound just for that option and a floating fannypack. If the pack fits your frame and you're okay with the 3.5 pound weight, then I'd go with it.

Rocketman
11-24-2009, 13:09
I used the GG Vapor Trail on the AT last summer for a month with a 24 lb base. It was my first trip with an internal pack, and I had read that all internal frame packs were hot on the back.

I had no problems with my back being hot.

Maybe it was because I cinched up the transverse straps well and the shape tended to be more of a cylinder without great flat spots to bear on my back and cause heat buildup.

Maybe it was some other reason. There were no real hot days that I can recall and generally the temperatures were unseasonably low.

stick man
11-24-2009, 13:10
used one on my 09 thru hike .pad holds heat/stink great on cold days had a zipper problem but GG sent a new pack.no cost carrys well i forgot i had it on at times

rpenczek
11-24-2009, 13:41
I have had a GG NM for two seasons now, two 50 mile sections and a ton of weekend trips. I have had no problems with it at all. Two of my Boy Scouts have the same pack and also really like it.

I had GG change out the waist belt for a more strudy one (read a little heavier) from the next level of pack when I purchased it.

My longer trips are always mid summer, so I am warm whether I use this pack or an external frame, I dont find I notice a difference either way, your hiking, you sweat.

The zipper access is useless to me as I line the pack with a trash compactor bag for water protection.

The sinch straps on mine go over the strechy side pockets (not a good design), but I believe that is changed on the 2009 model.

It took me four pack purchases to finally land on this pack and I really like the way it carries and the amount it carries.

FamilyGuy
11-24-2009, 19:58
I really like it. However, I had some pretty severe delamination on the 70d Cordura, which was strange. The pack was re-sent to Granite Gear and they sent me a new one. I have since sold it for a different pack.

It is semi-customizable which is great for hard to fit types.

shoe
11-25-2009, 00:09
I have the Meridian Ki (women's) which I love for the most part.
The frame sheet can be annoyingly squeaky but I fixed that with some shelf liner.
I took the lid off for a 10 ounce savings.
I miss a pocket on the out side to stuff a jacket into.
But it fits me awsome and has had held up very well for the last 2 years of heavy hiking.

Krewzer
11-25-2009, 01:36
Liked it, will use it again. Used mine for the 1st time on the PCT in the deserts of So Cal. I don't think I had any more heat problems than I had with my old Arctyrex or LoweAlpine back east. And it's way way lighter.
I'm a little surprised to hear the top lid weighs 10oz, but I like it anyway. It's kind of like my junk drawer; head lamp, extra batteries, maps, journal, 1st aid kit, snacks, etc.

Sailor (The other one)
11-25-2009, 06:25
The frame sheet can be annoyingly squeaky but I fixed that with some shelf liner.

My men's sometimes squeaks too. Could you detail how you fixed it with shelf liner?

Other than that, I love mine. Have had it on two section hikes of the AT in Georgia and some weekends in Florida and I too have sometimes forgotten it was there.

b.c.
11-25-2009, 07:28

(Did my attachment work?)

Pros: Almost everything...

Cons: GG Cloud packfly is a bit too small for my winter load...

Meridian is my next pack!

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 20:54
Nimbus Meridian is the real deal. I never use the flap. My pack is super small when I have all the straps compressed.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/Panimaniac/IMG_0069.jpg

FamilyGuy
12-01-2009, 01:38
If you are not going to use the top pocket I would recommend the Nimbus Ozone and save 3/4 of a pound (I am averaging between the 2008 and 2009 models...)

Chaco Taco
12-01-2009, 08:50
If you are not going to use the top pocket I would recommend the Nimbus Ozone and save 3/4 of a pound (I am averaging between the 2008 and 2009 models...)

I agree with you there but I like the amount of volume the Meridian has. I looked at the Ozone and it was just a tad bit smaller when my stuff was in it. I like having the option of using the top cover. Either way, Granite Gear has great packs and any of them would suffice.

handlebar
12-01-2009, 13:45
Used mine for the PCT in 08. I had to carry a lot (7 liters) of water thru the desert as I left early and couldn't rely on caches. It carried the weight really well. On trail crew sessions I've toted loads up to 70 lbs in reasonable comfort with this pack, and with my normal load in the 18-30 lb range I find it very comfortable.

It was also plenty big for the bear canister required thru the sierras. I'll be carrying this pack again on the CDT this coming summer.

It seems to be the straps are extra long on this and you can shave a couple of ounces by trimming to a shorter length. If you don't plan to use the top pocket as a day pack, there are several straps that can be removed.

Ground Pounder
03-02-2010, 00:40
The Meridian is my favorite pack out of 6 or 7 used through the years.
Pros/It's all good-Cons/hot backpad on warm days and squeaks like heck.
They rate it at 40 lbs but 30-32 would be my maximum weight I would carry in it.
It also has a gap at the bottom of the back zipper you could possibly lose a small item.
All in all, super piece of kit! I can fix a squeak.