PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Thornton Gap

K_Squared
11-24-2009, 11:58
Does anyone know if you can park a car at Thornton Gap Entrance or anywhere near by there?

Thanks much!

Kristen

Jeff
11-24-2009, 14:29
You should PM Skyline here at Whiteblaze. He lives close to Thornton Gap & is also involved with a SNP shuttle service.

Trail Bug
11-24-2009, 14:39
I parked my car for 6 days in lower parking area just outside of SNP. Only a 1/4 mile hike down to the trail. Had no problems. A picture of the parking area is at http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1490

K_Squared
11-24-2009, 14:48
perfect! Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

slugger
12-01-2009, 10:49
I left my car at the upper lot right next to the trail for about 5 days. No problems at all. :)

HIKERJEN
02-24-2010, 11:43
On a similar note, is it o.k. to park overnight at any of the SNP parking lots ? Do you need to inform a ranger, or make a note on your permit when you turn it in, of your vehicle's plate #, and where you're leaving it ? I'd like to do some 1-2 nighters in SNP this spring.

Shiraz-mataz
02-24-2010, 15:08
On a similar note, is it o.k. to park overnight at any of the SNP parking lots ? Do you need to inform a ranger, or make a note on your permit when you turn it in, of your vehicle's plate #, and where you're leaving it ? I'd like to do some 1-2 nighters in SNP this spring.

In my experience, the park folks are fine with overnight parking at any of the overlooks or waysides. I always apply for my backcountry camping permit in advance and note the make, model, color and tag number of my vehicle and what lot it will be in. That way they know to expect seeing it there.

Blissful
02-24-2010, 16:18
No problem parking. Several trails leave from the overlooks anyway or the AT crosses near them.

ATsawyer
02-24-2010, 18:29
There is parking for about a dozen cars there today, more as the snow melts, though Skyline Drive is closed. I doubt if any of the trailheads are plowed, though with a 4x4 you could drive up onto the snow piles.