PDA

View Full Version : Any snakes in NH?

ncmtns
08-24-2004, 18:50
Well,, are there? I was told no by some.

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2004, 19:08
There are any number of small non-poisonous snakes here, including the ones that are found throughout most of the Eastern United States---garter snakes, ribbon snakes, brown snakes, milk snakes, water snakes, ringneck snakes, rat snakes, green snakes, etc. Some, such as the northern black snake which is very common in the Southern Trail states, is only found in Southern New Hampshire.

Poisonous snakes are very rare in the state; copperheads are virtually unknown, tho mat be found in the extreme southern part of the state near the Massachusetts border. Likewise, the timber rattler is only found in the southern half of the state and even there, is quite rare.

The only Trail state that is considered free of poisonous snakes, and in fact, the only state in the lower 48 that is considered free of them, is Maine.

Mountain Dew
08-25-2004, 05:08
Great ! I'm moving to Maine so I wont have to worry about snakes anymore and so that I can get one of them funny accents.

SargeAT
08-25-2004, 05:10
Wait, a guy from Dallas said we northeasterners have funny accents? Alright, thats just wrong.

Mountain Dew
08-25-2004, 05:19
I grew up knowing that I, as a Texan, had an accent and that northeasterners had strong accents at times to ....but those Mainers have an accent unlike anything I've heard in the northeast before. I like it unlike some of the stronger more annoying accents we have in the U.S. ;)

Mausalot
08-25-2004, 08:55
Hiking there just a month and a half ago saw TWO snakes on the same hike. My father in law was very surprised as it was a rare occurance. One was an ordinary looking garder/grass snake type. The other, however, was sort of a golden brown with a pattern on it's back. Nearly the triangular/diamond they tell you to get worried about. Not sure what it was though.

Cameraman :dance 2000 Miles to Maine: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/)

Tramper Al
08-25-2004, 09:05
I don't know where this myth comes from. There are all kinds of snakes in New Hampshire. If I hike all day, I almost always see at least one, sometimes several. Usually it's a garter, but I see some of the many other indigenous non-venomous species once in a while too.

The Scribe
08-25-2004, 20:50
ayuh!!! We always welcome people from away.