PDA

View Full Version : Easement advice

Tennessee Viking
11-24-2009, 17:52
For those of you maintainers that work on trails that travel near or through populated areas? What is the best practice in you experience to get people to donate land or allow easements through their property for trail?

I am with the FMST, and we have lots of trail that is still road routed through rural and farming communities?

We have had meetings with communities to discuss help and support for the trail. We do have a lot of people along the road routes that support hikers with camping and transportation. And those who allow hikers access usually let the trail go around the edge of their property or use farm roads.

But their is still lots of talking to do. Any advice on how to schmooze the locals to get trail through private property?

Speer Carrier
11-24-2009, 17:57
How about trying some quid pro quo. You know, in exchange for you letting us have an easement across a portion of your property, our club will furnish X amount of hours of maintenance of some sort on your property. It would work for me if I were approached in that way.

emerald
11-24-2009, 17:58
Respect private property rights and insist scofflaw hikers do likewise. Shut up and keep hiking isn't a bad program either.

ki0eh
11-24-2009, 18:01
On the north end of PA Mid State Trail we have used guidance developed by the Finger Lakes Trail and also used on the NCT. I'm not sure I can post a copyrighted article but you can PM me in case of further serious interest.

Many Walks
11-24-2009, 18:35
How about trying some quid pro quo. You know, in exchange for you letting us have an easement across a portion of your property, our club will furnish X amount of hours of maintenance of some sort on your property. It would work for me if I were approached in that way.
Exactly what I was thinking. Farmers can usually benefit from a fence installation or upgrade. If you provided a good fence for their livestock on each side of the trail in exchange for the corridor they might go for it. Other landholders may need a well, septic system, roof, etc. Good luck.