PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Parking locations in NY?

Raul Perez
11-24-2009, 19:50
Hello,

First post and just hiked half a section from Bear Mountain Inn to West Mountain Shelter a few weeks ago. First hike on the AT and I'm definitely hooked.

Trying to plan another small overnight hike and looking for other locations I can leave my car overnight.

Bear mountain inn was great as all I had to do was register at the park police and there was no fee as I arrived at 8am.

I have the AT trail guide for NY & NJ but its not that detailed (for me) on various overnight parking areas. Figuring maybe some of the more experienced hikers had any additional info or personal experiences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Raul

PS

Peanut butter jelly time! :banana (yeah couldnt help it)

sasquatch2014
11-24-2009, 20:07
Well that was a pretty short hike but if you want to continue on you can park pretty safely at Elk Pen parking lot which is at the NY Rt 17 and I 87 junction. I have left cars there and at the State line trail parking lots before with out incident. I do not recommend the Hoyt Rd Parking lot near the Ct NY state line as I had a car broken into there a few years back.

Raul Perez
11-24-2009, 20:19
Yes it was a short hike but I have a busy work schedule and usually only get out for overnight to 3 day hikes at a clip. Usually schedule a week once a year to go out and camp/hike. Figured I would dedicate a week this year to the AT and see where it takes me.

sasquatch2014
11-24-2009, 20:27
Yes it was a short hike but I have a busy work schedule and usually only get out for overnight to 3 day hikes at a clip. Usually schedule a week once a year to go out and camp/hike. Figured I would dedicate a week this year to the AT and see where it takes me.

You may want to look at public transport if you are in the same area and only doing a week. A week from Bear mt Bridge up to Ny Rt 22 is very easy miles and both ends can be serviced by public transport. Also you can go from the bridge to the High Point monument and then make your way to Port Jarvis to grab a train back to the city. There are also buses that go from Delaware Water Gap to NYC.

Raul Perez
11-24-2009, 20:30
Awesome thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

ERNMAN
11-25-2009, 08:25
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx
I use this site to help with parking areas and directions...Has been 100 % so far. Also has pics attached. Add to your favorites for future viewing. Welcome to the hiking world.

Mr. Underhill
12-05-2009, 10:43
Don't forget the Metro North Appalachian Trail train stop at Wassaic.

XCskiNYC
02-10-2010, 00:28
There's a large free parking lot where the AT crosses Dennytown Road.

Also you can take Metro North to Peekskill or Cold Spring and get a cab from either of those places to the Rte 9/403 trail crossing.

Or you can take the train to Garrison and road walk about four miles to Greymoor (right by the 9/403 crossing).

If you want specific information on getting to any of the trail between Bear Mtn. Bridge and Salisbury, CT by public transport PM me or read my trailjournal (Iver the Backpack Driver).

emerald
02-10-2010, 11:18
You find lots of information at www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org). Click on The Trail tab and drill down.

Information compiled and updated annually by ALDHA and published in their Companion may be had by clicking below and on the white blazes.

LIhikers
02-10-2010, 18:19
I've overnight parked in the lot at Tiorati Circle plenty of times, with no problem. The AT is just up the hill a short ways.