PDA

View Full Version : Finally...first time on the AT!

jnanagardener
11-24-2009, 21:22
My wife and I are - both from Florida at about 8 feet above sea level - are visiting my brother in Boone for our Thanksgiving break. Was lucky enough to get away for our first hike ever on the AT. Granted it was five miles from Carver's Gap north over several balds, but it was absolutely gorgeous. As a first taste of the AT it sure was incredible!!! Along the way we came across a mail box from a group working to "save the balds". All in all a great day!

JoshStover
11-24-2009, 21:45
Now that you have experienced the trail, you think you will be back?

canoehead
11-24-2009, 21:49
Good stuff
get and enjoy

Blissful
11-24-2009, 21:56
Picked a nice place to experience it. :)

Cabin Fever
11-24-2009, 21:59
Congratulations. You are now infected!

johnnybgood
11-24-2009, 22:37
Congratulations. You are now infected!
....and there's no known cure .

It's a sickness I tell you....but your in good company.;)

Many Walks
11-24-2009, 22:44
No known cure and we don't want one!

Cabin Fever
11-24-2009, 22:47
No known cure and we don't want one!

I took the anti-vaccine.

FritztheCat
11-24-2009, 23:25
There's something really cool about stepping out on the AT for the first time and seeing a white blaze. Something deep stirs inside of you and you know without a doubt that you have been infected with hiking fever. There apparently is no cure, just have to keep going back to the trail for a fix. I know I do!

jnanagardener
11-26-2009, 10:03
Yes, we are now infected and will definitely be plotting our next course on the AT. Yesterday we left Boone, N.C. and are now in Atlanta visiting other relatives. We're so infected that tomorrow we are driving 100 miles north to hike Blood Mountain so my step-son can see "what the big deal is"!
This Thanksgiving break will provide enough hking to sustain us in our classrooms for a good while!
Thanks for the great replies...

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 10:56
Yes, we are now infected and will definitely be plotting our next course on the AT. Yesterday we left Boone, N.C. and are now in Atlanta visiting other relatives. We're so infected that tomorrow we are driving 100 miles north to hike Blood Mountain so my step-son can see "what the big deal is"!
This Thanksgiving break will provide enough hking to sustain us in our classrooms for a good while!

In light of all the comments... I gotta ask. When's the thru-hike? :D

Tinker
11-27-2009, 00:39

Blood Mt. is a pretty tough hike from the north. Have fun!

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 11:19
Carvers is a great place to have your first AT experience. I have done that section 4 times this year.

Cookerhiker
11-29-2009, 13:15
Blood Mt. is a pretty tough hike from the north. Have fun!

I concur - it'll give you a great taste of hiking uphill. Hope it's a dry day for you; I'd imagine the north side of Blood Mountain can be slippery when wet.

Chaco Taco
11-29-2009, 17:49
slippery when wet.

Are you a Bon Jovi fan??:D:D

Plodderman
11-30-2009, 10:15
Welcome to the AT

wrongway_08
11-30-2009, 11:27
No cure.... even the places you have been 15 times because they are close to home never get old!

Lost_Soul
12-03-2009, 11:41
As long as you're with good people nothing gets old. And, if you aren't... go ahead on your own. Enjoy the peace of the trail without any fools around. (they are rare, but, thay are out there) But, nature does have a way of making it worth it, regardless. :^D

Pony
12-03-2009, 20:35
Carvers is a great place to have your first AT experience. I have done that section 4 times this year.

I agree. I loved the section between Roan and Kincora hostel. I only wish I was close enough to hit it 4 times a year.

gravy4601
12-03-2009, 22:22
hi my name is Gravy and i'm an AT addic :D

Monkeyboy
12-04-2009, 10:39
My wife and I are - both from Florida at about 8 feet above sea level - are visiting my brother in Boone for our Thanksgiving break. Was lucky enough to get away for our first hike ever on the AT. Granted it was five miles from Carver's Gap north over several balds, but it was absolutely gorgeous. As a first taste of the AT it sure was incredible!!! Along the way we came across a mail box from a group working to "save the balds". All in all a great day!

8' above sea level? Why so high?

I'm about 5' above.........(and right down the road from you).

ShelterLeopard
12-04-2009, 14:04
There's something really cool about stepping out on the AT for the first time and seeing a white blaze. Something deep stirs inside of you and you know without a doubt that you have been infected with hiking fever. There apparently is no cure, just have to keep going back to the trail for a fix. I know I do!

It's too true! Even after a crazily bad trip, rainy, sore, etc... I'm already planning the next one.

jnanagardener
12-04-2009, 18:57
We live in the highest point in Palm Harbor that my wife now tells me is over 50 feet above sea level, as opposed to the 8 feet I said. Show you what I know!

Lost_Soul
12-07-2009, 04:54
Hi Gravy LOL

gravy4601
12-08-2009, 17:27
we should have an AT support group :D