PDA

View Full Version : Southern Virginia Overnight Hike

hahaase
11-24-2009, 23:32
Next week I will be in Danville, Va for about a week. I would like to take my grandson (7) on an overnight trip on the AT. He has hike with me for a full day at Hanging Rock Park in NC. A loop of about 10 miles would be great for him. This would give him plenty of time for rest on the trail and enjoying doing things young hikers enjoy. I hike regularly but on terrian which isn't at the elevation of the AT. If anyone has a recommendation I am open to suggestion. Thanks for the help.

J5man
11-25-2009, 00:06
Send a PM to Hikerhead and he will have several suggestions. Also may want to consider doing McAfee's Knob and then having dinner at the Homeplace afterwards. This is in the Roanoke area, an easy drive from Danville.

Doooglas
11-25-2009, 06:15
Go up to Mabry's mill on 221, close to Floyd and ask for the number of the owner of Twin Falls. Get his permission, if possible, and camp there. Nice little rainbow trout, awesome scenery.
I'm going back to 1989 so Disney might own it by now.:mad:
I offered the owner 500 grand for the 13 acres all the way back then.
Yeah. It's that nice:cool:
Macafees was awesome in the day but there is enough of it on the net I figure there are stop signs on the old fire road.
I first hiked up from 311, Hanging Rock, in 1973:(

Cabin Fever
11-25-2009, 10:01
Grayson Highlands. Much closer to Danville and the highlight of southern Virginia. The Pine Mountain Trail/AT loop is about 11 miles I think which is good to do out of Fox Creek. Many loops to be done out of Massie Gap.