PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba or REI Quarter Dome T1

JoshStover
11-24-2009, 23:33
Which one would you choose and why?

srestrepo
11-24-2009, 23:37
it depends, i like the two tents but i dont fit in either... too narrow, too short. i'm 280 pounds and 5'11... tents just aren't big enough... so i bought a hammock

Mocs123
11-25-2009, 00:09
Both are excessively narrow, but the T1 is even more so and short too. I think the BA Seedhouse SL1 is the best solo tent on the market, but you might also look at a tarps and bug biivys.

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 00:11
What is the price of the Seedhouse? Price is a major factor too.

Mocs123
11-25-2009, 01:28
MSRP is $250 but there is a poster selling a new one in the for sale section for $180.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55918

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 01:40
I found the regular Seedhouse not the SL on REI.com for $140 but the reviews say that the poles break very easily and the complete tent without the footprint is heavier than the MSR or REI WITH the footprint. For most of the trail I wouldnt be carrying the body but I would be some of the time. Im not sure how much lighter the SL is though...

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 01:43
I took a look at the post on here about the guy selling the BA Seedhouse and he is trying to trade it for a MSR Hubba so that kinda tells me NOT to go with the BA and maybe the MSR. Im still not sure yet. Im gonna go to REI this friday and try to get inside a few tents and then make up my mind. MAYBE

skinewmexico
11-25-2009, 04:12
No UL or tarp choices, huh?

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 04:34
I'm 5'2 and weigh 54 kilo's and have a msr hubba i find that the length is great, but width wise it is just that bit too narrow. I used to have a big agnus 2person tent (used only solo for me) and that was the best of tents until the poles broke and I have not been able to replace them. I live in Australia and found it really difficult to explain that all I wanted was a new set of poles i.e. without the tent. So I gave up and bought the msr. Maybe when I get over there in March doing an nobo I may be able to get the replacement poles.
We all live in hope
Cheers
gipcgirl

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 06:01
Nope, no UL or Tarp choices for me.

sherrill
11-25-2009, 09:46
I took a look at the post on here about the guy selling the BA Seedhouse and he is trying to trade it for a MSR Hubba so that kinda tells me NOT to go with the BA and maybe the MSR. Im still not sure yet. Im gonna go to REI this friday and try to get inside a few tents and then make up my mind. MAYBE

That's the best thing to do. In the end, it's your home, you have to be happy with it.

My wife and I tried out 10 different tents before we settled with the Hubba Hubba.

Grinder
11-25-2009, 09:49
having a poll that is limited to two choices in a world with thousands of shelter designs and manufacturers available is not very well designed.

If YOU have narrowed your choices down to these two, that's fine. dumb poll though
JMHO

rpenczek
11-25-2009, 09:54
I really like my Big Agnes products. One of the tents we have for my Scouts developed a problem and BA replaced it quick and free of charge, I would assume they would replace poles quick.

Have you considered www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com). A little more expensive, but tons more room with a ton less weight.

scope
11-25-2009, 10:19
Although I'm a hanger, I looked and looked and looked at solo tents before finally settling on the hammock. My choice between the two you mention is the REI. The Hubba is has marginally acceptable width IF the sides didn't come up so much as in every setup I've seen. The REI isn't much better but seems to do a little better and is cheaper.

Frankly, I settled on a hammock because I needed more room than I could find in a solo tent. (already had a 2-man tent).

white_russian
11-25-2009, 11:07
What is the price of the Seedhouse? Price is a major factor too.
Check your REIs for their "scratch and dent sale" / "garage sale". The ones where I am usually have these sales in December and January. There was a pile of SL1s and Hubbas that got returned with nothing wrong with them. I got my SL1 for $100 bucks a while back at this sale, practically new.

Sparky B
11-25-2009, 12:30
It is a tough decision, they are very similar tents. For myself, I think I would go with the MSR Hubba. The deciding factor being that 40" of headroom in the Hubba is just enough; the 37" of headroom in the REI Quarter Dome T1 is not quite enough for me.

A minor plus for the MSR Hubba is the additional 5" of inside length.

A negative for the Hubba is the yellow rain fly that screams, "Here I am!".

A plus for the Quarter Dome T1 is the more subdued rainfly colors of green and gray.

Mocs123
11-25-2009, 15:47
The Seedhouse SL1 uses DAC Featherlite poles just like the MSR and most other high end tents made. The regular Seedhouse does not use DAC poles.

JonnyWalker
11-25-2009, 17:04
You should really atleast look into tarptents. Is there a reason you need a double wall shelter?

AggieAl
11-25-2009, 19:07
I think if you are starting early you will be a lot more comfortable ( and probably safer) in a double wall shelter. I hate the extra wait, but I am starting nobo February 20 so I am taking a Hubba Hubba which I like.

speedbump
11-25-2009, 19:24
Hubba. truely free standing. Easy to set up.

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 20:49
You should really atleast look into tarptents. Is there a reason you need a double wall shelter?

Yeah, I plan to start my NOBO thru in February. Id like to have a double wall for the extra warmth at first then I will be sending the tent body home and just use the footprint and fly.

JonnyWalker
11-25-2009, 21:04
You should probably keep the body for most of the trip because of the no see ums and blackflies. That or buy a bugnet which could save some weight.

mateozzz
11-25-2009, 21:40
Has anyone checked out the Sierra Designs XT1? I have one and like it a lot, just long enough and wider than the other tents. Weighs just about 3lb and has a good sized vestibule if you stake it tight. Also, the door zips down from the top so you get a vent for free.

http://campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=sid0169

Jim Adams
11-25-2009, 22:01
I have been buyig camping and backpacking equipment for 45 years and purchased my Hubba simply because it was a good price, used on ebay. It may be the most impressive piece that I have ever purchased. I LOVE IT! I am a short little fat man, 56 years old, 5'6" and 280lbs. I am as wide as the floor of the tent when I lay down and it is no problem. I can kneel turn around inside of it, sit up inside of it, put my pack inside at my feet or put it in the vestibule. I have been in several harsh storms of rain and / or snow and it has never leaked. I usually use a two man tent on my canoe trips just because I'm not carrying it on my back and for the added room...my last canoe trip I used the Hubba just because l like it so much. The color never bothered me. Quick and easy to set up, packs small, freestanding and the huge door is nice.
Boudin used a tarptent for 800 miles of the PCT and couldn't wait to trade it for a Hubba when he got home.
I like the REI but you won't go wrong with a Hubba.

geek

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 22:08
I do plan on using a bugnet once I send the tent body home. Im going to REI friday and I hope to get one of the free $100 gift cards so I can get my new tent and new boots. Whichever tent I decide to go with I plan on living in it for the whole month of December so I can get used to it. I will let everyone know how it does. Thanks for your input everyone and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!