PDA

View Full Version : Where and How Long?

MichaelRedBeard
11-25-2009, 02:09
I always here people talking about this trail, where is it and how long is it?

kayak karl
11-25-2009, 02:13
I always here people talking about this trail, where is it and how long is it?
http://johnmuirtrail.org/

Rambler
11-29-2009, 13:54
I had the same question a few years back. The answer came from a thru-hiker I met at a shelter one rainy afternoon along the AT. He had thru-hiked both the AT and PCT. The JMT is basically a 200 mile section of the PCT. He told me it was the most beautiful section of trail he had ever hiked and was hoping to return to hike there.

While hiking along the JMT last summer, I met a young hiker with the AT symbol tatooed to his calf. He had thru-hiked the AT and here was his commnent,
"I spent six months on the AT and never saw a thing!"

We were talking about the scenery on the JMT! It is non-stop beautiful and varied. You can section hike it, too. Just do it. Get into the Sierras and you will only want to return. Go in mid August. No bugs. No rain. Or, go anytime you can go.

ontheway
11-29-2009, 14:01
how with 49 posts do you know nothing about the a.t??

grizzlyadam
11-29-2009, 14:06
how with 49 posts do you know nothing about the a.t??

How with 6 posts do you not know how to read a category heading?

Phreak
11-29-2009, 14:24
How with 6 posts do you not know how to read a category heading?
... lol ...

Mags
11-29-2009, 15:13
I once heard that the AT is 10 times longer as the JMT...but the JMT is 10 times more beautiful than the AT. :)

wandering_bob
12-02-2009, 13:30
The JMT is a mosquito-ridden dust-slog up incredibly steep slopes covered with little ball bearings disguised as pebbles. If you do survive to reach the pass, all you can see is more rock. Savage bears, sneaky marmots, and silent rattlesnakes lurk nearby, just waiting for your first, inevitable stupid move. The abundant deer (see "hunters" below) and grouse are their scouts, sent to locate potential prey.

Most water crossings are readily and preferrably swimmable; packrafts are optional. Escape routes are almost as bad and take at least 2 days, crossing their own mini-versions of the JMT tread. Did I mention the rampant hunters that stalk the woods, desperately seeking something at which to fire their new rifles?:eek:

Resupply options are almost non-existant since the outrageously overpriced horsepacking outfits have bought up and closed most local roads - of which there are pitifully few - and towns, which they use to shelter the stuff they rake out of their horse barns.:-?

Yosemite?:welcome It's a tourista trap - lots of loud kids and rude parents in shorts and Hawaiian shirts packing 20 pounds of camera gear they have no idea how to use. Concessionaire price shock is the #2 cause of sudden death in the Valley, second only to being run over by shuttle buses driven by under-paid, legally blind, former NASCAR drivers.

Mt Whitney? Yes, it is the highest point in the lower 48 states - that part is true. What they don't tell you is that Sir Edmund Hillary decided Everest was an easier and safer climb. The only rangers that go there are the ones being punished by their superiors for morality reasons. Forget the ice axe and crampons; bring oxygen tanks - lots of them.....and be sure your life insurance premiums are paid in full.

Decades ago, the western states decided that it's cheaper to just drop their convicted psychopaths and serial killers in the middle of the wilderness and let nature take its course. If they're innocent, they will survive, if not............ Unfortunately, a few have proven stronger than the local wildlife and even the Grizzlies and rattlesnakes turn and run.:confused:

Be smart - stay away. Better yet, stay east of the Rocky Mountains. This is the REAL wilderness out here.

The rest of you posters, STOP pontificating; let's keep our secret to ourselves. We don't need no stinking east-coast hikers.:D

Jester2000
12-02-2009, 13:34
Wandering Bob's post gets the Jester seal of approval. Crazy funny.

Lucy Lulu
12-02-2009, 18:27
Excellent post Bob...too funny :-)

Mags
12-02-2009, 19:17
The rest of you posters, STOP pontificating; let's keep our secret to ourselves. We don't need no stinking east-coast hikers.:D

Mea culpa! The West sucks. Don't move here....Terrible. Terrible.

Excuse me..gotta get ready for a full moon (hopefully! the clouds are starting to lift) hike. :)