PDA

View Full Version : center zip sleeping bag. would you buy?

generoll
11-25-2009, 11:07
Greetings:

It occurs to me that I rarely if ever see people "twinning" their mummy bags. It also seems to me that having a zipper in the middle with an appropriate draft tube would make the bag easier to get into and out of, especially in a hammock. If such a bag were on the market, would you buy one?

generoll
11-25-2009, 11:29
note: multiple responses are permitted.

Elder
11-25-2009, 11:30
Check out the Cocoon from Integral Designs.
integraldesigns.com
A center zip (short zipper) mummy.
Designed to be the lightest/warmest for the weight.
No twinning.

generoll
11-25-2009, 11:39
yeah, I saw that. Trouble is it's only rated to 30F. I'd like to get down a bit lower then that and I do like the idea of having a pad pocket in my sleeping bag. I'm hoping to show enough interest in the idea to see if Big Agnes might want to do some prototypes.

Ender
11-25-2009, 11:45
LuxuryLite made a sub-2lbs center zip sleeping bag.
http://luxurylite.com/bagindex.html
Doesn't look like they have it available in that weight right now though. Still, always thought it would be interesting to try out.

Cabin Fever
11-25-2009, 12:07
Sierra Designs bags have two zippers starting on either side of the neck and go down the arms. I have one and really like the set up.

ShelterLeopard
11-25-2009, 12:11
Dude, I like my personal space- no twinning. And I'd consider the center zip if I was hammocking. But I'd rather have a side zip. Don't really care which side, maybe left.

generoll
11-25-2009, 12:36
thanks for the heads up, Ender. nice bag.

grayfox
11-25-2009, 13:58
I would buy one for ease of entry in mild weather or if I had a pad with high R-value. The trouble is that it is the wrong way to stay warm in real cold weather--insulation under you compresses and is less warm and there is a big heat loss over you through the opening. I like to get back into a still warm bag after answering the call of nature in early morning. This bag would probably loose all its heat right away. If I did buy one I would probably use it upsidedown--might as well buy or make a quilt. I only zip up a bag if it is pretty cold out, but I like to have the option and the versatility to do either. I have seen some Arctic rated bags with top openings and wonder if condensation inside the bag would be reduced if it were to vent through the top opening.

skinewmexico
11-25-2009, 14:54
I've got several of the Luxury Lite bags I'm happy with. Bought some of the underfilled bags for $39, opened them up, and added down. Work great. I bought one of the current closeouts hoping that they are overweight due to extra down, instead of heavier materials.

Full length zip, so you can vent your feet and keep the top zipped up.

Compass
11-25-2009, 15:28
Quilt. Complete veratility with no zippers for unnecessary weight, noise, jams, or L/R/Top decisions and twinable by overlapping.

A good light weight bag has very little mass to heat up innitially or to hold the heat when you leave.

bigcranky
11-25-2009, 16:53
I saw a presentation by Coup (the Golite founder) and he explained the rationale behind the center zipper: it vents better. If you think about it, that's true -- every inch up or down makes an actual difference in how much the bag vents. Moving the side zipper doesn't really do anything.

But anyway I have two side zip bags.

mudhead
11-25-2009, 17:21
Dude, I like my personal space- no twinning. And I'd consider the center zip if I was hammocking. But I'd rather have a side zip. Don't really care which side, maybe left.

Even if I carry extra fuel?:)

I gotta be able to stick a foot out the side zipper.

generoll
11-25-2009, 17:23
As I recall, the army bag was designed so that if you jerked the zipper all the way to the top, it left the teeth on one side and then you could just jerk the two sides apart for fast egress. Not that something like that is required for normal usage. I just think it would be easier to zip and unzip if the zipper were in the middle as opposed to one side.

Kinda like mens pants have the zipper in the middle rather then on the side. Either works and of course you sailors have your shoelaces up your backside, but that's another story altogether.

BR360
11-25-2009, 17:33
I have 6 bags of varying weights, fills, and shapes. All have side-zips. I had a center-zip Army Surplus down bag years ago, and liked it plenty except for the weight.

I'd prefer a center zip for the venting and ease of entry/egress. That said, I don't see why a quilt is not better anyway????? Of course, a center-zip could be placed with zipper on the bottom, thereby making a quilt-like effect, or on top when preferred for venting....

Stir Fry
11-25-2009, 18:32
I am waiting for my Nunatak now. Its center zip. Hope it makes it easer to use the bag as a quilt in warmer weather.

Feral Bill
11-25-2009, 18:50
I have used a 1/2 center zip for a winter inner bag and warm weather bag. Works fine. I use my side zip much more often though, due to the ability to make it into a quilt.

kayak karl
11-25-2009, 19:18
i used the Go-Lite Adrenaline 0 degree bag http://www.topsleepingbags.com/golite-adrenaline-0-mens.html last winter. i never zipped it. just used it as a top quilt. (Mt. Washington JRB under quilt). -5 was the lowest i saw, but it worked great.

springerfever
11-25-2009, 19:55
I have two bags...older WM Badger w/overfill good to about 15 degrees and the other is a WM Aspen semi-rectangular good to about 25. Both are GREAT bags, but for versatility I prefer the Aspen (now called the Alder).

I have often used the Aspen as a center zip because basically its a full quilt with a side zipper and foot zipper. Merely turn the bag 45 degrees so the zip is on top and there you go. Great for entry/exit and reading. The down on the Aspen is also easily repositioned to the top for more warmth. For a hood, I use the Nunatuk down balaclava which allows you to turn your body left/right if you are a side sleeper and still exhale out of the face cutout. It only weighs three ounces and can also be used while hiking if extremely cold. Killer combination with maximun versatility. When warm just use the Aspen as a quilt.......

Slo-go'en
11-25-2009, 20:15
Humm, you already have a center zipper bag - all depends on you lay down your bag. Okay, so the hood is not in the right place. But since I mostly sleep on my side, maybe it is in the right place!

generoll
11-25-2009, 20:18
Thanks for the link, SF. Looks like they already have them.

Spirit Walker
11-25-2009, 20:40
My husband and I zip our bags together. Makes for better shoulder room, more warmth and a good way to cuddle.