PDA

View Full Version : what are some good trail runners

Saffirre8
11-25-2009, 12:07
I see several brands of trail runners, what are some of the best ones for LONG hikes, that will make you feet feel great at the end of the day, like you just didnt hike 15 miles.
I want to switch to trail runners but i dont know what is the best kind.

garlic08
11-25-2009, 13:09
If you're only hiking 15 miles a day, trail runners might not be best for you. Trail runners are best for the longer days with a lighter load, at a faster pace. They do call them trail runners, after all. My hiking buddy says you can hike 15 miles in nearly anything, and I agree. After that is when they really start making a difference. There's a reason many AT hikers wear boots (average pace somewhat less than 15 miles per day), and most PCT/CDT hikers wear running shoes (average pace somewhat more than 15 miles per day). Different terrain, too, for sure.

That being said, nearly everyone has a favorite brand, and they all feel very different to me. New Balance 8XX series has been my favorite for many years. Good luck finding the right one for you. And you can't tell at the store. It takes about a 15 mile hike before you really find out.

Maddog
11-25-2009, 13:14
i've been wearing INOV8 for the last 18 months! they're comfortable and lightweight! thses are the ones i 'm training in and taking on my thru in the spring!http://www.zappos.com/ViewProduct.action?productId=7618595

bigmac_in
11-25-2009, 13:21
If you're only hiking 15 miles a day, trail runners might not be best for you. Trail runners are best for the longer days with a lighter load, at a faster pace. They do call them trail runners, after all. My hiking buddy says you can hike 15 miles in nearly anything, and I agree. After that is when they really start making a difference. There's a reason many AT hikers wear boots (average pace somewhat less than 15 miles per day), and most PCT/CDT hikers wear running shoes (average pace somewhat more than 15 miles per day). Different terrain, too, for sure.

That being said, nearly everyone has a favorite brand, and they all feel very different to me. New Balance 8XX series has been my favorite for many years. Good luck finding the right one for you. And you can't tell at the store. It takes about a 15 mile hike before you really find out.

What a bunch of bologna. If trail runners are good for over 15 miles, why wouldn't they be good for under? I certainly don't always hike over 15 miles in a day, but I wouldn't wear anything but trail runners. They are good for shorter distances for the same reasons they are good for longer - they are lighter, dry faster, and easy on your feet.

John B
11-25-2009, 13:43
I'd like to give you the best advice that you will ever hear in regard to hiking boots or trail runners. The best shoe is the one that fits you perfectly, doesn't cause blisters, is comfortable to wear, and is suited to your needs. Put differently, what is the perfect shoe for me will almost certainly not be the best for you. I would strongly advise you to go to a good running store or place that sells hiking shoes, let a knowledgable salesperson look at your feet to determine is you are low, medium, or high volume, if you pronate or supinate, have a flat, normal, or high arch, etc. Then once they get you in the right group, try on many, many pairs and really think about how they feel and fit.

To expound a bit, I'm a runner with a low volume foot, narrow heel, flat arch, and slight pronation. For distance running, I use the Brooks Adrenaline 9 that I've modified with a custom arch insert, a heel wedge, and gell heel cup. But for hiking, I can't use a trail shoe. I need more support and stability, so I've found that the North Face brand makes models for narrow, low volume feet, narrow heel, standard toe box.

To reiterate, there is no 'best' shoe or boot for all -- the best is that which fits you.

All that said, Runners World does a ton of shoe reviews. The 2009 review of trail runners was just released a couple of weeks ago. You might check the link just to get a general idea of what's out there. But even with that, there are still many, many brands and models that aren't reviewed and thus can't be discounted.
http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-240-400-0-0,00.html

Take your time picking your perfect shoe. It's probably one of the biggest decisions that you'll make for your hiking and running.

Berserker
11-25-2009, 13:46
That’s a very subjective question because it depends on what works for you. I myself made the switch to trail runners this year, and my first piece of advice would be to build up to them. There may be some people that can jump right into them, but I had to get my feet, ankles and legs strengthened up enough to wear them comfortably. Now that I can wear them I will say that they are much more comfortable than boots. I got everything strengthened up by just wearing trail runners on my local training hikes. I started off with a cheap pair of New Balance shoes from Kohl’s (570 model I think).

With that said you need find shoes fit you…fit is the most important thing. I ordered a bunch of different shoes from Zappos (cause they have the free return shipping), so that I could compare them. Thus far, I have kept and used the following brands/models:

New Balance 909
Merrell Moab Ventilator
Montrail Hardrock 2009
Salomon XA Pro 3 & Fastpacker
Inov-8 Rocklite 315
Out of all those I have only actually hiked on the AT in the New Balance 909s. The rest of them had some downside with the exception of the Inov-8 Rocklites, which I have not fully assessed yet. The downsides were as follows:

Merrell Moab Ventilator – just not overly comfortable after several miles, but a good training shoe for me. These were also the heaviest shoes of the bunch.
Montrail Hardrock 2009 – comfortable with an insert (SOLE brand) inside them, but I can’t see actually backpacking with them. They are just too sloppy feeling on my feet, and I’m not crazy about the stiffness of the sole.
Salomon XA Pro 3 & Fastpacker – both models fit really well when I tried them on, but after several actual trail hikes they turned out to be to narrow (I guess once my feet swelled up). It stinks to because I really like the features and feel of the XA Pro 3.

Chance09
11-25-2009, 13:55
I just did my thru in Salamon XA Pro 3d Trail runners, the NON GORTEX ones. I didn't have a single blister my whole trip. I think the socks also helped quite a bit and different shoes will fit differently depending on the thickness of the sock.

I recommend those shoes with Darn Tough 1/4 length coolmesh or coolmax socks to keep your feet cool and from sweating too much (mine sweat like crazy). Best thing about them is that you can walk in to a store with your dirty pair with 1000 miles on them, hand them in, and walk out with a nice new clean pair of the same socks. Gotta love the lifetime guarantee.

garlic08
11-25-2009, 14:00
...my first piece of advice would be to build up to them. There may be some people that can jump right into them, but I had to get my feet, ankles and legs strengthened up enough to wear them comfortably.

That is excellent advice. Me too.

bigmac_in
11-25-2009, 14:32
I jumped right into them with no problem - your experience may vary.

(good lord, they're just sneakers. Get a pair that fits and go walk in them)

I agree with Chance09 - the socks might be more important.

Spokes
11-25-2009, 14:55
Any brand other than Vasgue Velocity! A complete waste of money.

ChinMusic
11-25-2009, 15:16
What a bunch of bologna. If trail runners are good for over 15 miles, why wouldn't they be good for under? I certainly don't always hike over 15 miles in a day, but I wouldn't wear anything but trail runners. They are good for shorter distances for the same reasons they are good for longer - they are lighter, dry faster, and easy on your feet.
I agree TOTALLY. The sanctimonious drivel of "If you're only hiking 15 miles a day, trail runners might not be best for you" is just pure BS and might be the worst piece of advice I have ever read on WB.

Blissful
11-25-2009, 15:18
I see several brands of trail runners, what are some of the best ones for LONG hikes, that will make you feet feel great at the end of the day, like you just didnt hike 15 miles.

Not a shoe in the world will make you feel like you haven't hiked 15 miles, sorry. :)

I hiked in my Brooks Adrenaline ASR Trail Runners from Harpers Ferry to the end (including PA, the Whites, etc) , carrying a max load of around 30 lbs with full water and food. But I switched them often and used SPenco insoles. My days at that time averaged 16-18 miles with some 20's. I did not build up to them, persay. I switched right out of boots that actually contributed to a calf injury early in the hike.

Blissful
11-25-2009, 15:22
Agree that good socks is VERY important. And bring enough of them too!

Phreak
11-25-2009, 15:37
Salomon XA Pro Ultra 3D GTX (http://www.salomon.com/us/#/footwear/footwear/trail-running/xa-pro-3d-ultra-gtx) trail runners (damn, I wish they would shorten the name of this shoe) with Wrightsock Coolmesh socks (http://www.wrightsock.com/coolmesh.html).

Jester2000
11-25-2009, 16:15
I recommend those shoes with Darn Tough 1/4 length coolmesh or coolmax socks to keep your feet cool and from sweating too much (mine sweat like crazy). Best thing about them is that you can walk in to a store with your dirty pair with 1000 miles on them, hand them in, and walk out with a nice new clean pair of the same socks. Gotta love the lifetime guarantee.

. . . and what would be even better, if you like the company as much as Chance09 seems to, would be walking into a store after 1000 miles and buying a new pair of socks. I don't know about any other outfitters, but where I work the Darn Tough lifetime guarantee:

"If our all-weather performance socks aren't the most comfortable and durable socks you've ever owned, return them for your money back."

. . . doesn't mean you can walk into our store and trade out socks. It means just what it says -- you can return them (to return means to take them back where you got them) and get your money back.

On the other hand, if you're happy with them (and you will be), supporting a company that makes its product in the US by buying more wouldn't be a terrible idea.

As for trail runners, I've had success with New Balance, Vasque, and Montrail. But as many have noted, it depends on your feet.

Egads
11-25-2009, 16:32
Buy what fits you, not what Backpacker Mag or anyone else recommends

ChinMusic
11-25-2009, 17:02
Buy what fits you, not what Backpacker Mag or anyone else recommends
+1

I tried Hardrocks (fitted at Bluff Mt Outfitters, Hot Springs) because others were wearing them and happy. They tore me up....don't know why.

I've been extremely happy with my New Balance 609/621 for walking, daily use for years. I tried the New Balance 806s and haven't looked back.

MY "answer" had been on my feet for years (the NB 609s) and it took me years to put two and two together.

Berserker
11-25-2009, 17:09
I jumped right into them with no problem - your experience may vary.

(good lord, they're just sneakers. Get a pair that fits and go walk in them)

I agree with Chance09 - the socks might be more important.
Maybe I should have clarified my statement. In my opinion, it’s not comfortable at all to jump right into trail runners with a pack on if all you have ever done was wear boots on the trail. Yeah I’m sure most people wear sneakers quite often in the normal day to day grind, but there’s a big difference between walking on pavement around town and walking on uneven natural terrain like on the AT. If one’s muscles in the legs, feet and ankles aren’t properly built up to handle the uneven natural terrain then wearing trail runners won’t be comfortable right off the bat. This is why I think a lot of people who wear boots think they need to wear boots. I too thought I had to wear boots until I started training on local hiking trails in tennis shoes after all my previous training was on flat surfaces (pavement, sidewalks, etc.). It hurt at first, and I rolled my ankles several times. After a few months…voila…the muscles got built up, the discomfort went away, and now I rarely roll an ankle. As with everything it varies from person to person so some may be able to jump right into the trail runners. It should also be noted that pack weight could have some influence on the comfort of the trail runners too.

mudhead
11-25-2009, 17:17
Not to stir up poo, but I didn't find stinkybreath's post sanctiwahteveris. Consider the context. 15 miles is an "only" to him.

Don't overlook regular running shoes. I have had better luck with Asics of late. Poor luck with New Balance. My feet are odd.

I have thrown out a number of guaranteed socks. I have no problem returning defective or non fitting, but after I've worn thru the thing?

Those Darn Tough CoolMax ones are really nice, if you can handle the top being thinner than the bottom.

Egads
11-25-2009, 18:34
Not to stir up poo, but I didn't find stinkybreath's post sanctiwahteveris. Consider the context. 15 miles is an "only" to him.

15 miles is "only" a half day of hiking

garlic08
11-25-2009, 20:27

Thank you for the laugh. It was me who did the stirring. But yes, the context is important.

If that "15 mile" phrase hadn't been in the question, I would have ignored this as just another boring shoe thread, with the question that's impossible to answer. But if a hiker says 15 miles is painful, that rings some bells to me.

Read a few of the many boot vs. shoe threads and you'll discover that not everyone loves running shoes. Some people have tried them and didn't like them. Some have even attributed foot injuries to them. I imagine they were misused, probably carrying a heavy (30+ pound) load. Thus the great advice for gradually adjusting to less support.

garlic08
11-26-2009, 10:51

I agree TOTALLY. The sanctimonious drivel of "If you're only hiking 15 miles a day, trail runners might not be best for you" is just pure BS and might be the worst piece of advice I have ever read on WB.

Upon reflection, I agree my logic is poor and my argument is flawed. I was extrapolating from my own experience, which is very narrow and obviously does not apply to everyone. I'll admit to some braggadocio, too, and maybe I wanted to spice up a shoe thread. I guess they call that "trolling". My apologies if I offended. Y'all have a great Thanksgiving!

mudhead
11-26-2009, 16:57
Thank you for the laugh.

Glad to amuse you. I always read boring shoe threads. Might hear about some bahhgin. I wonder if Holabird still does the buy three, get four deal. Nothing like a stack of full shoe boxes!:)

Red Hat
11-26-2009, 18:45
I expected Garlic to say what I always say: New Balance 800 series, now at 812 I think.

ChinMusic
11-26-2009, 19:55
I expected Garlic to say what I always say: New Balance 800 series, now at 812 I think.
I'm still on the 806s. I got one more fresh pair in a box waiting for my current pair to bite the dust.

I got lucky. A year or so ago Cabelas was almost giving them away. I cleared em out of 11 EEs.

What model numbers came after the 806?

garlic08
11-26-2009, 21:00
I'm still on the 806s. I got one more fresh pair in a box waiting for my current pair to bite the dust.

I got lucky. A year or so ago Cabelas was almost giving them away. I cleared em out of 11 EEs.

What model numbers came after the 806?

I went through one old pair of 812s and two pairs of 813s this year, and I'm sure they'll be obsolete by the time I need to order more next year. I don't think they'll ever be as good as the 806s which were the first ones I tried back in '03, I think. There's pretty much a new number every year lately, but they all seem to fit the same. The only reason I use NB is because the EE width has always been perfect for me.

ChinMusic
11-26-2009, 21:22
I went through one old pair of 812s and two pairs of 813s this year, and I'm sure they'll be obsolete by the time I need to order more next year. I don't think they'll ever be as good as the 806s which were the first ones I tried back in '03, I think. There's pretty much a new number every year lately, but they all seem to fit the same. The only reason I use NB is because the EE width has always been perfect for me.
Yes, the New Balance 11 EE seems to be my sweet spot after years of searching. I wear the the 621s for daily use/bike trail and 806s for hiking/backpacking.

Did you find the size you started on your thrus was the size you used the whole way?

Did you use the inserts that came with the NBs or go straight to an aftermarket (such as Super Feet)?

I find that I can go with the stock inserts until they give out and then switch to the Super Feet. The stock inserts bite the dust LONG before the shoe is done.

garlic08
11-26-2009, 21:39
Yes, the New Balance 11 EE seems to be my sweet spot after years of searching. I wear the the 621s for daily use/bike trail and 806s for hiking/backpacking.

Did you find the size you started on your thrus was the size you used the whole way?

Did you use the inserts that came with the NBs or go straight to an aftermarket (such as Super Feet)?

I find that I can go with the stock inserts until they give out and then switch to the Super Feet. The stock inserts bite the dust LONG before the shoe is done.

I wish I was lucky enough to find the right shoe right away. Took me 2000 miles and three pairs of other shoes on the PCT to finally find the NB in the right size and width. My feet were changing, too, so it was a moving target.

I will wear through the stock inserts in about 3 to 400 miles, depending on the type of dirt (much more wear in sand). I just starting using Superfeet last year on the AT, and love them. I got over 3000 miles on one pair last year. This year I did a lot of road walking trying to follow the Pacific Northwest Trail and I packed a separate pair of Spenco inserts for more padding (Mags' idea), and I liked that, too. I would switch back to Superfeet on trail. I tried using them both together and didn't have enough volume.

Tinker
11-26-2009, 22:00

Buy what fits best. No one but you can tell you how a shoe feels.
Sometimes you'll find that the shoe that fits you the best isn't too sturdy and that you'll go through more pairs than folks who use other brands. No matter. At the end of that 15 mile day the only feet you'll be feeling are your own. If you use orthotics, as I do, take them with you and put them in each pair you use. If a shoe doesn't fit like a slipper (when tightened securely) keep looking.

BrianLe
11-26-2009, 22:20
I'll mention Golite brand shoes just because I haven't seen them mentioned in this particular thread yet (lots of threads in various locations about the "best" shoe ...).

Shoes are the hardest piece of gear to get right, no substitute for trying them out. I use Golites because they're shaped like actual feet are --- wide toe box relative to overall width. Some durability issues, but IMO these are overstated --- I did the PCT in 2008 on something like 5 pairs, and I'll use Golites on the AT in 2010.

Now, I literally yesterday had foot surgery for Morton's Neuroma on one foot and have some mysterious foot issue on my other foot, but I have no particular reason to believe it was this particular shoe that caused either problem. Might have been a factor in one or both problems, but OTOH, I'm certain I would have had problems from any typical shoe without the wide toe box (bunionettes on both feet).

YMMV here a lot; for example, after all the raves about New Balance shoes I bought a pair and quickly developed a nasty back-of-heel blister from the (for me) wrongly shaped and very rigid heel cup.

Best of luck in finding the right shoe for you!

SassyWindsor
11-26-2009, 22:29
To each his own, for sure. What fits the best and what works is the order of the day.

I have been consistent in my footwear for a while. I love my trail runners (Merrell Radius) on short, light weight hikes, maybe longer ones depending on the terrain. Coming out of Campo, CA on the PCT would be an example of where I'd use them.

But I've tried these along with lighter boots on extended backpacking trips with plenty of weight in my pack and have to say that the trade off between these and a much heavier boot (I use Scarpa Sherpa or my Raichle Mtn Trekker..both full leather, non GTX and heavy ) Is 1. lighter weight = less tired 2. lighter weight = hurting feet, toes, ankles, shins, back. I choose to use the heavier boots on longer overnight trips because I'd rather be a little more tired than do damage to my feet etc. I like the non GTX because GTX can get really hot and store up water/sweat too easily. I do have a pair of Asolo Fugitives GTX I also use on shorter/winter trips and they are really great. I just tend to like the sturdier all leather boots for me. If I was planning an extended backpacking trek I would really consider carrying the trail runner as a backup/camp shoe to my heavier Scarpa.

Tinker
11-26-2009, 22:33
I'll mention Golite brand shoes just because I haven't seen them mentioned in this particular thread yet (lots of threads in various locations about the "best" shoe ...).

Shoes are the hardest piece of gear to get right, no substitute for trying them out. I use Golites because they're shaped like actual feet are --- wide toe box relative to overall width. Some durability issues, but IMO these are overstated --- I did the PCT in 2008 on something like 5 pairs, and I'll use Golites on the AT in 2010.

Now, I literally yesterday had foot surgery for Morton's Neuroma on one foot and have some mysterious foot issue on my other foot, but I have no particular reason to believe it was this particular shoe that caused either problem. Might have been a factor in one or both problems, but OTOH, I'm certain I would have had problems from any typical shoe without the wide toe box (bunionettes on both feet).

YMMV here a lot; for example, after all the raves about New Balance shoes I bought a pair and quickly developed a nasty back-of-heel blister from the (for me) wrongly shaped and very rigid heel cup.

Best of luck in finding the right shoe for you!

Brian's comments mirror my feelings.
New Balance shoes might as well be the boxes they come in for the way they fit my feet. I've used and liked Columbias (uppers didn't last very long), Keen's (uppers stretched until shoes were too loose when wet) - Newport H2 sandals the exception with nylon straps, and currently am on my second pair of Asics which I like very much. The midsoles compact with use but the uppers and soles outlasted the midsoles - quite a feat.
But, again - they must fit.

mudhead
11-27-2009, 11:00
I wish someone with a EE foot would try these, in case they come out with a 4E version in the future.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___13673

I tried these as a change of pace. Excellent traction, but very poor overall. Very soft footbed, like a NB running shoe, not like an Asics. Wore out far too quickly. Note the "h." The kanberra might be different.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___13701

Toolshed
11-27-2009, 11:12
Count me in the New Balance 80X Series - Started with 801's (or 803's-cannot remember now) in 1999 and have followed them right up to 812. I think I have a couple of new 11.5 EE 809's or 810's in boxes in my closet.
I pick them up when they are on sale or the model is closed out.
As long as it is an "SL-1" Last, New Balance gets my business.
the Shoe always fits perfectly right out of the box.

Phlashlite
11-27-2009, 11:34
when buying any shoe also think of the insert. Many people buy the shoe then change out the insert. Usually this works well. I however had a terrible hiking experience. I used merrills for the last part of my thru and did fine. On the Tahoe Rim trail I changed to Lowa and bought a 45 dollar pair of insert. After three days I had to leave the trail due to severe blisters that went to the bone. I then moved the inserts to my Keens which I had worn on the PCT several times no problems, the inserts in my Keens also caused severe blisters. I finally caught on and realized it was not the shoes rather the inserts, seems they raised my foot just enought to cause my foot to be in an improper place in the shoes. I changed back to my backpacker inserts and all is well. I might also add how responsive Lowa was with the shoes, they replaced them even after I said it was probably the after market inserts. So my advise is go with what fits best. Keens if you want a wide toe area. Also try Darn Tough socks, they seem great.

Wags
11-27-2009, 11:40
i've had good success with the following 3 brands of shoes...

nike trail runners (best fit, least durability)
montrail hardrocks
north face hedgehogs

kanga
11-27-2009, 12:12
Buy what fits best. No one but you can tell you how a shoe feels.

stop typing things that i agree with.

Canada Goose
02-15-2010, 19:45
Found a good deal for New Balance MT812 on their website, but they don't ship to Canada.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?s1=NBAS&s2=buynow&style=MT812AT

There is free shipping too, but I think it may be ending today. Act fast!

:sun

ChinMusic
02-15-2010, 20:03
Thanks a lot for the link. My size is not listed...........rats.

Rick Hancock
02-15-2010, 22:19
Now just'a cotton pick'in minute! Spokes claims that the Vasque Velocity isn't worth the money. He may be right as far as the newer style goes but the 2007/2008 shoe was one of the best shoes I'VE EVER WORN. The problem is that these companies have a bunch of non hikers sitting around thinking of ways to improve something that is already perfect. I use to wear Montrail Hardrocks (Men's 10 wide) they changed the style, lousy fit. I wore and still wear the old style Vasque Velocity (I bought every pair I could find, shark/tangerine color). For ME they were a perfect fit, never a problem with blisters, etc. The new style, VST, fits like a block of concrete! I now wear a New Balance 812 AT, a great shoe for ME maybe not for someone else. Each person is different, heck most times your feet aren't the same size. Best thing is to find a reliable outfitter that can help you only problem is they usually only carry a few selections. Sometimes you have to resort to trail and error find an online company that has free shipping bothways order your size plus another pair 1/2 to 1 full size up to allow for sock/ custom insole thickness and go from there (seems like a lot of work but it pays off in the end) Also remember, if you buy a Goretex model the fit is sometimes tighter. I don't often buy the Goretex they cost a lot more, slower break-in, slower to dry when wet, and the goretex membrane will breakdown. Whew, I'm through venting now. Long live the old style Vasque Velocity!!!

Rick Hancock
02-15-2010, 22:22
One last thing, if you like New Balance shoes in general try Joesnewbalance.com or onlineshoes.com. there are several others as well.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2010, 22:43
Make sure you can return them and under what conditions or know what size you wear if you order them. I have a pair of NB walking shoes size 10 1/2 2E and a pair of NB running shoes 12 4E and they both fit very well. Go figure.

Rick Hancock
02-16-2010, 09:36
New Balance seems to be the one company that understands that not everyone has a foot shaped to fit a European last ie: narrow. Vasque use to offer the variable fit system (different thickness footbeds) I assume they still do? Most American's have a wider foot/last. I can't wear Nike's, North Face, Montrails, or most other brands unless they are a true wide.

Miner
02-16-2010, 16:05
Over the years, I've liked New Balance shoes and have been happy with several models (Joe's New Balance Outlet often has some cheap deals on limited models). My biggest complaint with New Balance is they keep obsoleting models that I like and replacing them with something new.

On the PCT, I also used Inov-8 Rocklite 315's with great success and comfort. The only downside is their price.