PDA

View Full Version : "I Would Eat X Food After Y Days"

mister pooh
11-25-2009, 12:40
I know a lot of this info is scattered all over the forums and is highly debatable, but I was hoping to get a lot of info in one place. My fiance and I are really new to backpacking and just trying to figure things out. Maybe this will help others figure out days between town stops?

It's an easy game. Complete the sentence above replacing X with these foods in these conditions. Assume the weather is 90F days/ 70F nights.

Block Cheddar Cheese, original packaging opened in ziploc

Laughing Cow Cheese, cardboard opened wedges sealed

Cream Cheese, unopened individual tub like from deli

Grated Parmesan in ziploc

Pepperoni or Hard salami pre-sliced original packaging opened in ziploc

Pepperoni or Hard salami, whole same condition as above

Summer Sausage original package opened in ziploc

Precooked Bacon, original package opened in ziploc

Real Bacon Bits original package opened in ziploc

Raw Eggs, stowed in plastic egg keeper

Whole wheat tortillas, opened original packaging

Shelf Bagels (not deli or frozen), opened original packaging

Now, would you add any days if it was 50f high/30f low? How many? Also, if you have any other "refrigerate after opening" foods I missed but are popular, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to take the info I get and put it in a Google Doc spreadsheet to share with other noobs. Obviously for different opinions I'll put info in a range (ex. X food, Y1-Y2 days).

Thanks in advance for any info!

dzierzak
11-25-2009, 13:40
Laughing Cow Babybels (individually wrapped cheese) after 8 days. Had some on a 12 day section last June. Found one in the bag on day 8. Soft, but good.

Whole wheat tortillas after 4 days. Repackeged - rolled in a Pringles container.

Section was Harpers Ferry to Duncannon. No claims as to actual food safety!!! (I survived, YMMV)

the goat
11-25-2009, 13:44
i've eaten all of the above (with the exception of creme cheese) after 7-8+ days. most of the items will last monger than that, but that's really the limit of my days b/t resupply.

harryfred
11-25-2009, 14:03
Cheese in any form 1 Week if longer scrape the mold and eat it.

Grated parm good for a long, long time.

Pepperoni, hard salami, some summer sausage, a couple of weeks if longer scrape the mold and eat.

Bacon doesn't last more than two days out with me I'm lucky if it makes the trail head. :D

Raw eggs 3 days cook well. LW may have more insight.

Bagels, tortillas a week at most, you can eat them stale and not get sick.

Jaybird
11-25-2009, 14:09
Looking forward to hiking a few DAY HIKES in the Blue Ridge next week!

our annual trip to BLOWING ROCK,NC will take us by ROAN MTN (Carvers Gap) & we'll day hike there...& probably a hike near Banner Elk,NC too....

maybe I'll see some of you White Blazers out there!:D

brooklynkayak
11-27-2009, 01:24
Raw eggs in the shell keep very well. Out of the shell, maybe not so well.
Aged block cheeses(not powdered), and salami can keep for a very long time unless they get wet.
Hot weather is bad for anything that contains fat.
Low fat jerky holds up well in the heat as long as it doesn't get damp.

Salt(or any sodium) and low moisture extends the life of cheese and meats.

Cooked bacon, with added salt keeps OK, but the fat will go rancid in heat.