PDA

View Full Version : diy tyvek tarp

toenail
11-25-2009, 15:08
:-?Hi all. I am considering replacing our MSR missing link, with a diy tyvek tarp. My wife and hike the AT one week in the spring and fall. We usually stay in a shelter 2-3 days, 1 day in the tent. I don't want any bad hiking experiences, so I'm thinking 10x12 foot. Any ideas on design, sewing, tiepoints, or construction would be greatly appreciated

Jim Adams
11-25-2009, 22:41
Save yourself alot of time and energy and just buy a 10'x10' coated nylon from campmor for $39. Sure it weighs 2lb. but you only use it twice a year and 2lbs for a 2 person shelter isn't bad. Stick with square if you are not used to tarping...much easier to work with and practice, practice, practice. It won't be the tarp that lets you down in a storm...it will be lack of experience of set up.
Have fun!

geek

brooklynkayak
11-27-2009, 07:47
Although people have used tyvek for tarps, myself included. Silnylon is so much better and not that much more $.

Design?
Flat tarps are more flexible, Shaped tarps can be easier to pitch, Pyramid or modified A frame tarp variations can deflect wind better. Flat tarps can be more difficult to keep from flapping in strong winds.

toenail
12-03-2009, 14:14
Thanks for the input! The main reason for the tarp is to drop pack weight. We are both nearing 50, and this year I found out I had cancer. I've completed my treatment,but still tire easily. I think the miles are going to get a little tougher, but we both have a lot of fun hiking the AT. I'm Hoping to my pack weight to 25 lbs, and my wife's to 15 lbs. for a one week early june hike.

toenail
12-04-2009, 00:04
You where right. I decided to go with a 10x12 sil-nylon tarp, 19 ozs. 90 bucks.:banana

superman
12-04-2009, 06:04
You where right. I decided to go with a 10x12 sil-nylon tarp, 19 ozs. 90 bucks.:banana
That was the size I used for Pat, Winter and I. It had plenty of room for the three of us and our gear. We were comfy and dry all thru a 24 hour storm. I have a picture of that tarp in my photos if you want to take a look.

Connie
12-24-2009, 21:00
Good choice...

I like the modified half pyramid set up.

Here are two videos showing how to do the set up.

freestanding tarp setup (http://www.youtube.com/user/backpackinonline#p/f/5/gShC4t_o7PI)

tarping part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/user/backpackinonline#p/f/4/PFUaefaPAhU)