PDA

View Full Version : Snugpak Special Forces Sleep System

Powell19
11-25-2009, 22:32
I ran across the Snugpak website and was interested to see if anyone has used their special forces modular sleep system or anything like it. Seems like a pretty good deal for the versatility. But I'm always a little wary of mil spec gear.

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 22:33
Can I get a link to that site? I love to check out all types of gear...

Powell19
11-25-2009, 23:01
http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=95-106&ItemID=74
There you go. It might be overkill for a thru hike, but it seems like a good deal for what it is. There are others out there that cost less. Cheaper Than Dirt has a similar system for about $300 new and $130 used. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWB155-1.html I might just drop the cash to buy the used army surplus one, just to give it a whirl.

The Weasel
11-25-2009, 23:07
Keep in mind that most milspec gear, whether US or UK, is not created with weight in mind as much as sturdiness and function.

TW

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 23:18
That is pretty nifty.

Powell19
11-25-2009, 23:35
I found a site that gives the weights for the Snugpak bags. The patrol bag is 28oz and the cold weather bag is 56oz, for a total of 84oz or 5.4lbs. That's really heavy for a thru hike, i think. This whole system ends up being rated to -30 degrees when it's all put together. I'll probably just save this purchase for the next time I go on an arctic expedition :)

Anyone know if any company does this with lighter bags, say a 40 degree to 10 degree system? Or just a bag/liner combo that zips together?

take-a-knee
11-25-2009, 23:36
Snugpack sleeping bags SUCK, get a Wiggy's if you want the best synthetic. If you just want something servicealble, get a Mtn Hardware or North Face.

Outrider
11-25-2009, 23:57
Snugpack sleeping bags SUCK, get a Wiggy's if you want the best synthetic. If you just want something servicealble, get a Mtn Hardware or North Face.

If you are going to say something sucks, at least give some reasons why. I have the Softie 3 Merlin from Snugpak and love it. Takes up little room and I have used it down to around 25 before. I would not go any lower than that with it.

Powell19
11-25-2009, 23:58
@take-a-knee: Thanks for the heads up on wiggys. I just checked the site and they have a very similar system they call FTRSS.

slugger
11-26-2009, 00:42
I have used this pack for a 5 day trip, it was my ROTC sleeping bag. It was my first back packing trip... It was mid April at skyline drive... The bag itself was bulky and heavy but it did the job... I didn't have a tent or anything like that just the sleeping bags three peices. It snowed all night the first two nights. My toes did get numb but I slept okay. I wouldn't recomend it for a thru hike though....

Franco
11-26-2009, 01:05
Some comments about that here
http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=832107219;t=9991129748 (http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=832107219;t=9991129748)
Franco

take-a-knee
11-26-2009, 01:54
If you are going to say something sucks, at least give some reasons why. I have the Softie 3 Merlin from Snugpak and love it. Takes up little room and I have used it down to around 25 before. I would not go any lower than that with it.

Keep using it, then get back to us when the batts fall apart. I was issued a Wiggy's bag, I know how durable they are. A NF Cat's Meow will outlast that Snugpack 3 to 1. A Wiggy's will last longer.

Outrider
11-26-2009, 02:00
Keep using it, then get back to us when the batts fall apart. I was issued a Wiggy's bag, I know how durable they are. A NF Cat's Meow will outlast that Snugpack 3 to 1. A Wiggy's will last longer.

I am going to keep using it. I have been for 5 years. Its on its second tour in Iraq and holding up great.

Fiddleback
11-26-2009, 10:36
...I was issued a Wiggy's bag...

I was issued a 'Ted Williams' sleeping bag from Sears.:D

Equipment procurred and issued by the military certainly doesn't warrant an automatic endorsement or instant faith that it's up to the job. On the other hand, and with the exception of the above, I've found such equipment to be rugged and usually over designed/engineered.

I was the first and perhaps last to use the Ted Williams sleeping bag. I had to cut up the liner to release it from a stuck zipper...:eek: Thinking about it, I've never seen the bag mentioned on this or other forums.:rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

FB

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 10:43
Weight: 3200 grams = 7.05 lbs
Packsize: 20cm x 27cm = 7.8" x 10.6"

I like the pack size, but am I missing something where the weight is concerned?

take-a-knee
11-26-2009, 11:00
I was issued a 'Ted Williams' sleeping bag from Sears.:D

Equipment procurred and issued by the military certainly doesn't warrant an automatic endorsement or instant faith that it's up to the job. On the other hand, and with the exception of the above, I've found such equipment to be rugged and usually over designed/engineered.

I was the first and perhaps last to use the Ted Williams sleeping bag. I had to cut up the liner to release it from a stuck zipper...:eek: Thinking about it, I've never seen the bag mentioned on this or other forums.:rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

FB

You are correct, the ISSUE/NSN army sleep system is junk, the bags are anyway (the goretex cover is great, if a bit heavy). That is why SOCOM spent their own money to buy Wiggy's bags.