PDA

View Full Version : Replacing H2O filter cartidges on the trail....

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 22:54
Is it pretty easy to find replacement cartidges while on the trail? MSR or Katadyn...

Compass
11-25-2009, 23:29
Outfitters tend to carry some brands. MSR Miniworks will not have to be replaced on a thru. Unless you drop it while cleaning and it lands on a rock and breaks the ceramic element which is unlikely but I heard it can happen.

I bought a replacement early on in my hiking so it could be mailed in a bind.

JoshStover
11-25-2009, 23:56
With that miniworks filter can you only pump into a nalgene or do they offer a bladder adapter? Or what if you are using a Sigg or Klean Kanteen?

Compass
11-26-2009, 09:23
The MSR filter screws on to the standard nalgene style large threads. It also has a connection point on the outflow that tubing can be attached to fill anything easily. At one time I would pump water into my bladder while it was still in my pack by removing the bite valve.

Grampie
11-26-2009, 12:40
During my thru I started with a Pure filter. At that time 2001, you could call them up and tell them you were not satisfied with the life of the cartidge and they would send you a new one. I received three during my thru.
Everyone starts with a new filter so all the cartidges get cloged at the same point on the trail. Soon the outfitters at that spot run out of replacements so none are available. I would recommend that you buy a replacement eliment and put it in a bounce box or have it sent to you.
My first cartridge lasted about 300 miles. After that I started to use a coffee filter around the pick up. That doubled the life.

ShelterLeopard
11-26-2009, 16:29
If you use the Katadyn, buy a linen/cloth reusable tea bag (available anywhere they sell loose tea), and put that little black knob that you stick in the river into the tea bag, and tie it shut. I figured it'd help keep the debris out of the filter, and it actually does make it last longer. Seriously, do it. It helps. And those filters are expensive.

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 17:40
If you use the Katadyn, buy a linen/cloth reusable tea bag (available anywhere they sell loose tea), and put that little black knob that you stick in the river into the tea bag, and tie it shut. I figured it'd help keep the debris out of the filter, and it actually does make it last longer. Seriously, do it. It helps. And those filters are expensive.

I had been using a bandanna for the same purpose, but come to think of it, that's a really good idea. Thanks for the tip.

JoshStover
11-26-2009, 21:48
That is a great idea about the tea bag! I will most def do that.

Tinker
11-26-2009, 22:04
The MSR filter screws on to the standard nalgene style large threads. It also has a connection point on the outflow that tubing can be attached to fill anything easily. At one time I would pump water into my bladder while it was still in my pack by removing the bite valve.

Nalgene bottles and MSR bladders use the same thread. I use a First Need filter (I know it's heavy, but it kills viruses as well as the regular run-of-the-mill cooties), and it fits both.

ShelterLeopard
11-27-2009, 01:14
I had been using a bandanna for the same purpose, but come to think of it, that's a really good idea. Thanks for the tip.

That is a great idea about the tea bag! I will most def do that.

And it really worked! It extended the life of my filter a lot, and it pumps water faster, for much longer now.:banana