PDA

View Full Version : Resupply and Canister Questions

Oddjob2009
11-26-2009, 13:41
Hello there, I am planning on a SOBO JMT with my brother next summer, here is my question: What is the best arrangement for bear canisters? Two large ones, one large one? two solos? one large one solo? and What resupply options make sense for any given bear canister arrangement? Thanks in advanced

Also whats the lightest weight way to do it?

Dogwood
11-27-2009, 01:09
Whether you rent or purchase bear canisters usually one will not be enough for two people. There may be some ways you can make one canister work depending on things like resupply pts and how fast you hike, but even I, who am admittedly biased, and who does quite a bit of work minimalziing the wt and bulk and wt of my trail food, found I often filled up one of the rentable canisters that you can get at Yosemite NP.

wandering_bob
11-27-2009, 01:41
Each person will need their own canister eventually, so wise are they who start off that way. Get used to carrying them. Adjust your load to accomodate them before they are filled to capacity.

It's a short shot (2 days) from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows, and again to Reds Meadow (3-4 days). This is also your "shake-down period for gear and packing strategy. One canister will do for two people, but beyond Red's, you'll definitely need one per person. It's a 4 day haul to Muir Trail Ranch at 14 mpd and even longer to Onion Valley (if you elect to supply there) or all the way to Whitney Portal.

Again, YMMV.

Rambler
11-29-2009, 13:42
OddJob, how many days are you planning? The longest stretch of the trail without a convenient re-supply is from Muir Ranch (mile 107) to Whitney Portal, or the end of your hike. (mile 218)
Up to that point, two people can get by with an Expedition size canister from Wild-Ideas, a "Bearikade". From Muir Ranch you would need another canister, and you could mail one there.
Wild Ideas will send you a canister in advance to your home, so you can learn how to fill it and strap it to your pack, right in your living room. It is the lightest option with also the largest capacity. At the end of you hike, just mail it back to them from the Post Office in Lone Pine. You just close the lid and mail it back as is, no other box is needed.
Of course, you can rent canisters right at Yosemite from the ranger station where you sign in. Some are able to fit the canisters right inside their packs. As they empty have room to store gear inside. Toothpaste goes in them at night, too. You get used to carrying the canister. I becomes just another piece of gear. As suggested above, it is easiest to carry two.

PS Try to avoid spending a night at "Base Camp". It is like a tent city. Just hike right on by and out on your last day, or camp at the site well below it, if you have to.
Wild_Ideas offers a flat rate discount price for thru-hikers. Not the daily rate.
http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html

Helmuth.Fishmonger
11-30-2009, 15:49
unless you have some magic resupply strategy for the last half of the trail, you need a canister per person.

some people hike out at Kearsarge Pass and resupply, and if you're fast, you can get there with one canister for 2 people, but it's tight for most people.

Oddjob2009
12-04-2009, 02:19
Thanks for the quick and great answers, this is the **** I needed to know.