PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol in white gas stove

Mayor
11-26-2009, 21:40
I have a MSR Simmerlite white gas stove. This may seem like a silly question, but has anyone tried burning alcohol in one. And if it's wrong what are the consequences?

Tinker
11-26-2009, 22:06
Even if it works, you'd have all the weight of a white gas stove and the lack of BTU from alcohol. It would be a lose/lose situation.

Lostone
11-26-2009, 22:07
Directly from the MSR website

"The SimmerLite™ only burns White Gas.
Use MSR® SuperFuel™ (White Gas) for optimal performance. It is the highest quality fuel available for your stove.
Do not use leaded fuels. Use the fuels chart below to help you find White Gas when traveling internationally."

My xgk burns jet fuel, kerosene, aviation fuel, unleaded gas, white gas and diesel. You need to change jets to burn jet fuel and diesel.

Note no mention of alcohol.

To use alcohol I imagine you would need to replace the jet......Plus everything I mentioned is petroleum based. Alcohol would probably require different types of orings because it is not petroleum based. I am just guessing, but I would not risk it that's just me.

why not make a cat can or soda can stove.

Franco
11-26-2009, 22:22
And more emphatically from this page :
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/FAQ/Stoves (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/FAQ/Stoves)

Can I Burn alcohol with my MSR stove ?
No, MSR stoves will not burn alcohol, and alcohol will damage MSR Fuel Bottles.
Franco

LIhikers
11-26-2009, 22:42
I'll admitt that I tried alcohol in my MSR Simmerlite stove.
It did not work well at all. The stove won't hold a constant adjustment. The size of the flame would vary widely and go out without warning, all without touching the needle valve. And yes, now the inside of my fuel bottle is pitted.

I recommend that if you want to use alcohol as a fuel, then get a stove that's designed for it. I've had someone tell me that the Brunton Vapor AF stove is a good stove for use with multi fuels, including alcohol, but I don't have any first hand expeerience with it.

slugger
12-01-2009, 18:32
It's bulky and heavy but I have the MSR Wisperlite International (http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Stoves/Expedition-Stoves/WhisperLite-Internationale/product) and It will burn almost anything. I know it does Auto Gas, White Gas and kerosene. The Guy at REI told me he has one and it can also do Alcohol and anything else you can burn.

lazy river road
12-01-2009, 20:35
Slugger I Have the same one as you the MSR International Wisper Light...have you used your on a thru? If so howd if fair? Im trying to decide what stove to bring on my E2E of the LT this summer and thats the stove I have so Im pretty sure thats the one im bringing...

slugger
12-01-2009, 20:56
Slugger I Have the same one as you the MSR International Wisper Light...have you used your on a thru? If so howd if fair? Im trying to decide what stove to bring on my E2E of the LT this summer and thats the stove I have so Im pretty sure thats the one im bringing...

I haven't used it on a thru yet. I have used it in the sub 0 temp and for week long trips. I like it. Heavier then the can stove that I got with some trail magic on trip.

I plan on using in on my thru, I know every one always says there are plenty of places to get fuel but I like to have the option in the back of my mind that I can burn about anything in a pinch.

Snowleopard
12-02-2009, 17:23
I had the predecessor to the Optimus Nova stove and it would burn alcohol and most other flammable liquids. From my reading on it, it wasn't really recommended because it tended cause corrosion and has less energy content. I think it had a separate jet you needed to use for alcohol. If you want to burn alcohol buy or make a 1 oz alcohol stove.

The MSR whisperlight internationale I took to Peru wouldn't burn the most common fuel (benzena); I was very unhappy when it failed at 4000 meters on our trek.