PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Sandals

Chance09
11-27-2009, 12:43
I would absolutely love to do a PCT thru hike in sandals. I wear my rainbows pretty much every day, unless there is snow on the ground. Now i know it wouldn't be practical to hike in those sandals, but i'm curious as to what sandals people have thru hiked any long trail in? What sorts of problems did you have that you wouldn't have had if you had had on regular shoes?

kanga
11-27-2009, 12:47
seen people hike in bad weather in sandals. look into getting some water socks as an outer layer.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?SKU=PFT_TVP1&cvsfa=2003&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=PFT_TVP1

Yahtzee
11-27-2009, 14:08
This is secondhand knowledge, but since no one has posted with personal experience yet, this is what a Chaco-wearer who did a thru on the PCT. It is dry. Your feet will crack. He said he wouldn't thru the PCT in Chacos again.

I thru-ed the AT in a pair of Chacos and had some serious cracking. The first steps of the day could be painful but just until the cracks in the soles of your feet rip back open from a night's healing. After it was smooth sailin'.

Chance09
11-27-2009, 15:57
hmmm hadn't thought about the cracking. I'm not a fan of chacos tho. Bit heavy and stiff in my opinion, i only wear mine on occasion.

CrumbSnatcher
11-27-2009, 16:33
This is secondhand knowledge, but since no one has posted with personal experience yet, this is what a Chaco-wearer who did a thru on the PCT. It is dry. Your feet will crack. He said he wouldn't thru the PCT in Chacos again.

I thru-ed the AT in a pair of Chacos and had some serious cracking. The first steps of the day could be painful but just until the cracks in the soles of your feet rip back open from a night's healing. After it was smooth sailin'.
the cracking can be very painful. worse than blisters! i hike in chacos with socks or not, and the dust makes your feet dry out bad. in cold wet weather, i wore smartwool socks covered by sealskins. and on dry hot days if my feet were really cracked up, i would throw my skins on to hike. trapping the moisture &sweat inside. which would help stop the drying & cracking. lotion helps but wearing my skins on normal dry days, my feet would heal quick. i like the harder soles on the chacos so you can bounce around a little more.z1's are choice no fan of the z2 with the big toe strap. problem is the newer chaco's are not made for serious hiking. no vibramn soles, they are now designated college campus.