PDA

View Full Version : Picking up cool weather gear in Glencliff

Jeff
08-25-2004, 15:55
What additional gear is recommended to traverse the Whites? I assume that should include winter sleeping bag, extra layer of fleece, rainpants and gloves.

Am I missing anything???

THANKS

Jumpstart
08-25-2004, 16:02
I also regained my winter hat and a pair of gloves.

magic_game03
08-25-2004, 16:10
that's like asking "what kind of boat can i cross the atlantic with?" When are you traversing the whites, what's your experience, how slow or fast do you think you hike? a few more details would help. if your crossing them this week you may not some of the stuff you already mentioned like "extra layer of fleece" or "winter sleeping bag."

Jack Tarlin
08-25-2004, 16:35
Jeff--

It also depends what time of year you'll be hiking; July is very different up there from October.

If you're crossing as a thru-hiker, you'll be there, most likely, sometime between late June and mid-September. If you're a Northbounder, you'll
most likely be there in late July or early to mid-August.

You'll probably want at least a 40 degree sleeping bag, or a liner bag of some sort to complement your summerweight bag. Some sort of shelter, i.e. a tent ot tarp is essential; you can't always count on getting to a shelter or
finding space in one. Extra clothes are essential: Long johns top and bottom; raingear, hat and gloves, a heavy long-sleeved shirt or lightweight fleece. You might want to bring along an additional pair of socks. A rain and windproof jacket of some sort is also an excellent idea.

If you're hiking New Hampshire earlier or later in the season, you might want to upgrade a bit---warmer sleeping bag, heavier hat, gloves, fleece, etc.

The important thing is to keep your "extra" clothes dry; double bag them, use waterproof stuff sacks, etc. It's essential that you always have something warm and dry at the end of the day, so unless you absolutely have to, don't hike in the stuff you're counting on for use at day's end.