PDA

View Full Version : Gonna do it!

drifters quest
11-27-2009, 16:57
Hi everyone, I just graduated this Spring and went straight back to school in the fall. I'm kind of in a point where I don't know what I want to do and feel like I am wasting time in the process. My solution to this problem? Take some time off to hike the AT :) I am planning on a "solo" thru hike NOBO in March with my dog and am not sure what steps to take first. I feel so overwhelmed with equipment, budgeting, travel, etc. I am planning 2500 for myself not including travel and equipment, was thinking maybe 500 for the dog... anyone have any idea what it would be for the dog? She's a border collie, very athletic and active. Anyone have any "must reads"?

drifters quest
11-27-2009, 16:59
Couldn't find an edit button. Forgot to say, my biggest concern before hitting the trail is my horses. I have two horses, one of them I put up for sale, and the other i'm gonna have to board out... another expense; unless I can find a lease Was wondering what those of you with horses have done?

JokerJersey
11-27-2009, 17:20
First thing I'd have to say is $2500 is a little on the low side for finances, esp. if you have to worry about boarding a horse. Do you have a car? A cell phone? Possessions? What are you going to do with all of those things? If you have a car, what about car insurance? Are you going to let your policy lapse? If so, there are penalties for that in some states.

If you have a cell phone and plan on bringing it, you have to budget another $300 or so to keep it on for 6 months, figuring $50 a month for an average plan. If you have stuff you need to store, figure another $200+ to get a small storage unit. If you figure in $10 a day for food with a 180 day hike, that's $1800 of your $2500 right off the bat. What about entertainment? Are you going to stay in hostels/hotels? What about restaurants/beer?

Just stuff to realistically think about. Personally, I'm planning on $4500 for the trip, not including travel and equipment. I'll leave any other advice to those who have actually thru-hiked. There are about 9 million things you'll need to think about in the coming months if you do this...you don't want money to be the thing that takes you off the trail.

drifters quest
11-27-2009, 20:02
The 2500 im budgeting isnt going to include off the trail expenses. I'm 21 and still have a lot of support from my parents. They really need my vehicle while im gone so I will be bringing it over to them, they are covering the insurance. I will be bringing all my stuff home (not a lot since I am a college student) and storing it there. As for a cell phone, I think my contract runs out in January and i'm not sure whether or not i'll renew it till afterwards. If my mom insists on me having a cell phone it wont be a big deal for me since I am on their family plan and they help cover that expense.
I'm not big on drinking and I figure having a dog with me will limit me quite a bit for motels so I don't plan on spending too much in town.
I'm planning another 1000 for boarding my horse and travel. It also doesnt include equipment. Is 2500 feasable for just on the trail expenses?

karoberts
11-27-2009, 21:22
Having a dog will make your hike more expensive, not cheaper!

$2,500 is a very conservative estimate for "on the trail" expenses. Sure, it can be done for that, but it will not be easy.

Remember, many hostels do not welcome dogs, which will mean staying at more motels. Motels charge extra for dogs.

Shuttles charge extra for dogs too!

Despite the extra cost, I always hike with my dog. If you have any questions, I can help.

drifters quest
11-27-2009, 21:37
Sorry, didn't mean it would be cheaper with the dog, just less money I probably won't spend in town because of limitations with the dogs. Are there times it is neccesary to stay in motels? I was wondering about travel expenses with dogs, I didn't even know the shuttles allowed dogs, but thats helpful to know.
I do know you have to kennel or find a place for the dog through the Smokeys and Baxter. I might have something worked out with family on that one.
Do you have an estimate of how much extra it will cost with the dog? No matter the cost, I know it will be worth having her along since I feel a lot more secure on my own with her and she is my buddy :) If need be and she can't complete it though, I am able to send her "home". Thanks for all the advice, I am trying to figure out a rough estimate. I have 1600 in the acount, hopefully another 2000 on the way when my horse sells, plus the money im making working and from the stuff im selling.

A friend of mine was on the AT this Summer for 7 weeks on $300 (including a $100 bus ticket it took him to get there). Although I don't plan on starving myself to meet a budget or skimping out on necceseties, I am willing to give up some comforts in order to make it and if that means less meals in restraunts or more nights on the trail than in motels, thats how its gonna have to be.

paradoxb3
11-27-2009, 23:43
If you want something bad enough in town (and you will) such as lodging, the dog wont prevent you from getting it... if anything it'll just make you spend more for it. Personally i wouldnt take a dog at all, but thats just me. Keep in mind there are sections where you cant even take the dog, for example the smokies. what will you do with your dog then? cant quite bounce-box it ahead... oh, you could always use the horse for cheap freeze-dried food maildrops.... (lol, j/k)

seriously tho, ive asked about budgeting my 2010 thru, and i was expecting to spend $3k, and i was told that was stretching it, and i'd probably sacrifice alot of things i wanted, or i'd endulge and run out of money before the big K.

HYOH but i'd say save more money, sell the other horse, dont take the dog.... or just ride your parents wallet after harpers ferry. :)

karoberts
11-28-2009, 01:05
Yes, there are some times when you will feel the need to stay in a motel. For example, it has been raining for 9 days straight and everything is wet and you are freezing. Or, the dog's pad gets ripped on a rock and you must take her to a vet and put her on a 48-hour bed-rest. Or, you want to do a big all-day shopping trip/movie/other recreation and need a hotel room to leave her in.

But more of the time, you will just want to stay in town and rest and eat. I don't drink and don't party, but I still need to stay in town every so often. Motels typically charge an extra $10-15/night for the dog.

As far as transportation, it is a problem with a dog because they are not allowed on the train or the bus. Also, I think it makes hitchhiking harder, though some would disagree. That may force you to take taxis sometimes, which is also expensive.

karoberts
11-28-2009, 01:07
By the way, $300 for 7 weeks is seriously unrealistic for most hikers.

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 01:15
Hi everyone, I just graduated this Spring and went straight back to school in the fall. I'm kind of in a point where I don't know what I want to do and feel like I am wasting time in the process. My solution to this problem? Take some time off to hike the AT :) I am planning on a "solo" thru hike NOBO in March with my dog and am not sure what steps to take first. I feel so overwhelmed with equipment, budgeting, travel, etc. I am planning 2500 for myself not including travel and equipment, was thinking maybe 500 for the dog... anyone have any idea what it would be for the dog? She's a border collie, very athletic and active. Anyone have any "must reads"?

First off, I haven't read the other responses yet, so I may repeat a bit.

In my opinion, 2,500 is a bit low. It all depends on you and what you want to do. There's a current thread about finances here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55996

I'm planning to spend 5,000 (and to limit some pleasures as well), though I'm going to have 6,500 in my account, in case.

Second, you probably know this, but in case you don't, a dog can make a thru hike very different for you. You can't stay in most hostels or inns with a dog, your dog MUST be super well trained, and it is difficult to do towns- your dog can't come in most places, restaurants, outfitters (some allow dogs, not most), etc... Apart from that, your dog will love it.

As for cost of a dog, I really don't know. I know several people who had to spend a fair amount at a vet on the trail, and your dog will need a lot of food, but apart from that, I really don't know.

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 01:29
Are there times it is neccesary to stay in motels? I was wondering about travel expenses with dogs, I didn't even know the shuttles allowed dogs, but thats helpful to know.
I do know you have to kennel or find a place for the dog through the Smokeys and Baxter. I might have something worked out with family on that one.
A friend of mine was on the AT this Summer for 7 weeks on $300 (including a $100 bus ticket it took him to get there).

Did your friend who did 7 weeks send all his food ahead and bring $300 on the trail, just to have on hand? Because $300 for everything is not feasible. Even if he already had all gear he needed, if he was just buying food, it would be very difficult to make $200 cut it, I think.

I personally am an advocate of saving a lot of money for my thru- this is going to be my longest trip ever, and I want to be comfortable. Originally, I was "planning" on staying in a lot of hostels and a couple Inns, and spending zero days in town, and now I'm "planning" on spending zero days in the woods and not staying in all the towns I resupply in. Not because I want to save money as much, as I want to stay in the woods, not in towns- though it will save money too.

But, I put "planning" in quotes, because I know that my "plan" I make now will last about a day, and who knows what I'll want when I'm on trail? I know there will be days when all you want is a HOT shower and a burger the size of Illinois, and your dog'll probably want the same. And the urge to eat and shower will probably overpower the idea of saving money.

So, my advice is to do whatever you can now to save money. Don't eat out, don't go to the movies, borrow movies from the library, don't rent, don't drink much beer or smoke lots of cigarettes (not good for you, AND super expensive), don't go get lattes, none of that. Save everything.

But, you can do it on less money. I just really like the idea of having a comfortable amount of money myself.

I'll see you on trail in a couple months!

(Sorry if this is a bit long winded- VERY tired)

drifters quest
11-28-2009, 01:29
or just ride your parents wallet after harpers ferry. :)

That may be the way it goes lol, thanks paradox, more stuff to think about.. though i'm sure having a dog on the AT isn't near the hassle of having a horse on the PCT! (or expense). As for the area in the Smokeys, my parents are likely planning on being in the area around that time and would be able to take her. Up at Baxter, I will likely have no choice but to kennel her. I have definetely considered the posibility of things coming up, and if need be I can send her home for the duration of the trip.

Karobert- do you have many of your town stops planned in advance (knowing which places allow dogs and how much extra the cost is)? How much extra planning do you do having a dog with you? I realize i'll have to pace with my dog.. though im sure it will end up being me stopping first since she can ALWAYS go more. My main concern is her paws. I've heard about the paw toughener stuff.. is it a good idea to carry a pair of bootys too just in case?

Shelterleapord- thanks for the finance thread! Ill have to look through it.

Need be though, I always have back up, but would like to fund as much of the hike as possible on my own.

drifters quest
11-28-2009, 01:42
Did your friend who did 7 weeks send all his food ahead and bring $300 on the trail, just to have on hand? Because $300 for everything is not feasible. Even if he already had all gear he needed, if he was just buying food, it would be very difficult to make $200 cut it, I think.

I personally am an advocate of saving a lot of money for my thru- this is going to be my longest trip ever, and I want to be comfortable. Originally, I was "planning" on staying in a lot of hostels and a couple Inns, and spending zero days in town, and now I'm "planning" on spending zero days in the woods and not staying in all the towns I resupply in. Not because I want to save money as much, as I want to stay in the woods, not in towns- though it will save money too.

But, I put "planning" in quotes, because I know that my "plan" I make now will last about a day, and who knows what I'll want when I'm on trail? I know there will be days when all you want is a HOT shower and a burger the size of Illinois, and your dog'll probably want the same. And the urge to eat and shower will probably overpower the idea of saving money.

So, my advice is to do whatever you can now to save money. Don't eat out, don't go to the movies, borrow movies from the library, don't rent, don't drink much beer or smoke lots of cigarettes (not good for you, AND super expensive), don't go get lattes, none of that. Save everything.

But, you can do it on less money. I just really like the idea of having a comfortable amount of money myself.

I'll see you on trail in a couple months!

(Sorry if this is a bit long winded- VERY tired)

Well, he sold most of his stuff to get gear. Once he was on the trail he pretty much bought a few bags of trail mix at walmart and lived off of that till someone gave him a homemade alcohol stove. Told me he couldnt eat trail mix for a long time after that! lol Not sure what he did after that. Although he spent a little extra money in town, his plan was just to hike till he ran out of money. He gave up a lot comfort and convenience, but was just happy to be out on the trail.

As for me, my dad is insisting I treat myself often in town, but I really don't want to spend extra time in town just because I can. I really want to do it either when neccesary or when I do get that "need" for modern convenience.

I guess the dog will get the burger since im a vegetarian, lol, but the hot shower? Im SURE thats what ill need after several days on the trail.

As for saving money, im paying 350 on rent a month including my two horses. Im hoping next month I can move to a house on the ranch I work at where rent will be free,BUT it is Wyoming and the house isn't heated.. good practice, right? Space heaters are a good thing. I've really started to cut my spending, less subway, no more soda at the gas station, only buying the necessities. Gas is a killer though with a pickup that only gets 15mpg. Gotta get groceries on sale in town rather than drive half hour to walmart. Fortunately I don't drink, smoke, (or in this neck of the woods) chew! My goal is to just save whatever I can save, and keep saving till I head out. I can make a couple thousand these next couple months at work, and I have a feeling i'll be working a lot! :D

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 11:25
Well good luck, and see you on the trail!

(PS- You might want to work out a loan with your parents. That comes without interest.)

Jeff
11-28-2009, 15:40
We at Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel in Manchester, VT do indeed accept dogs although dog and owner must sleep in our outside accomodations. The "Dawg House" has bunks, mattresses and an electric fan. Nicer than most AT shelters.

Call from Stratton Mtn Firetower for reservations. Bunkspace is limited.

Jeff
11-28-2009, 15:44
Hikers with dogs tell me it is often easier for them to score a ride. Dog lovers might not stop for smelly hikers but the sight of a pooch gives them a good reason to offer a lift.

Not sure if this is true on wet, rainy days????:confused:

drifters quest
11-28-2009, 20:25
Thanks for the info Jeff! I think it might be easier to trust someone with a dog, especially a women, so I think that what you say would hold true. My sister is fearless of hitchhiking, me? im a little more cautious and it can make me nervous.

Lyle
11-28-2009, 20:54
For a cell phone. Let your contract expire. If you need a phone on the trail, get a TracFone. For about $130 you get a phone, one year of activation and about 400 minutes of talk time. No contracts. Can add additional minutes from any computer with a credit card, or buy an airtime card at tons of places and activate them over the phone.

I've been using one for years and I'm very happy with the coverage and ease of use. Not great if you want to talk a lot, but for a weekly check-in and calling to reserve a hostel or schedule a shuttle, should be all you need. Save yourself the monthly bill.

drifters quest
11-28-2009, 21:06
Hmm, well, apparently with our family plan additional phones are only $10 a month,so since I already have the phone, it looks like it will be cheaper to just stick with it. How much coverage do you get around the trail? Or is it mostly off trail?

Lyle
11-28-2009, 21:37
Generally TracFone gets as good of coverage as any phone. They use whatever towers are available, not tied to any one service. Generally you will get coverage at the higher elevations, but not always. Most road crossings seem to have decent coverage. At least the areas that I've been.